Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

techno techno techno techno (solutions)

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
no, he's not from kent, the confusion lies in so many people calling him that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

He said "catastrophic" not "catastrophe"

Idiot

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Pint time in a pub...although sky news is on...

Guess it's better than the BBC. Lol.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm just listening to the parliamentary discussion as background noise.

I think Jess Phillips was on recently because I heard the word curridge.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Question from a non-UK goon: what does passing a "no no deal" amendment accomplish without having a deal? My understanding was that if you make it to Brexit Day without some kind of agreement in place or cancelling Article 50, you're automatically ejected from the EU and no deal is the default state of things.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Question from a non-UK goon: what does passing a "no no deal" amendment accomplish without having a deal? My understanding was that if you make it to Brexit Day without some kind of agreement in place or cancelling Article 50, you're automatically ejected from the EU and no deal is the default state of things.

The EU is open to the UK extending article 50, it just requires there to be a big political change in the UK - a new referendum or general election, for example. Eliminating "No Deal" would mean the government would be bound to announce such a political change if they have no deal to use on March 29th.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Does farage come with that?

Farage shall be divided, in accordance with the judgement of Solomon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gort posted:

The EU is open to the UK extending article 50, it just requires there to be a big political change in the UK - a new referendum or general election, for example. Eliminating "No Deal" would mean the government would be bound to announce such a political change if they have no deal to use on March 29th.

I mean it depends on the text of the amendment, really. Saying the house doesn't accept it might be a spur to alternative action, but just saying it by itself doesn't give the government an instruction, especially as the government has a deal and the house rejected it.

I would suggest that it might be relevant to Bercow when it comes to selecting amendments and possibly deciding on the business of the house if the government tries to get obstructive.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Your understanding is correct. It's basically like declaring that pizza is lovely and we like pizza. It will not make pizza appear out of thin air.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's like declaring that you don't want pizza when you've already ordered pizza and it's like 10 minutes away. Also half of the group are still arguing about what toppings they want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a necessary step to figuring out an alternative, basically at the moment the house doesn't know what the gently caress it wants and May has spent basically the last two years stalling them and saying "gonna get yez the best fukkin deal you wait" and then it turns out the deal is the same poo poo it's always been and everyone hates it, which we all already knew.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ya may's handling has just been astonishingly irresponsible and bad, and yet entirely predictable given what we know about how she normally operates

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

sebzilla posted:

It's like declaring that you don't want pizza when you've already ordered pizza and it's like 10 minutes away. Also half of the group are still arguing about what toppings they want.

Also the pizza place has stopped taking your calls after the last time you tried to order pizza

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

It is but if you're coming from anywhere east/west or not along the M6/M1 then the rail route is gonna be convoluted. Even then Oxford which is about 35 miles away as the crow flies, you have to go up to birmingham and then back down to MK if you want to do it by train.

Theres a perfectly good coach at least though. Isn't the Varsity line going to link them up soon too?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Obliterati posted:

Also the pizza place has stopped taking your calls after the last time you tried to order pizza

And regardless of what toppings are on it, the pizza is poisonous

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

OwlFancier posted:

It is a necessary step to figuring out an alternative, basically at the moment the house doesn't know what the gently caress it wants and May has spent basically the last two years stalling them and saying "gonna get yez the best fukkin deal you wait" and then it turns out the deal is the same poo poo it's always been and everyone hates it, which we all already knew.

The crazy and tragic part is that I am confident either one of Norway+ or May's deal would pass pretty comfortably... in a secret ballot. Plenty of MPs who think No Deal is bad, but don't want to vote for one deal or the other, or for any deal at all, because they want to keep their seats.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wrexham family 'told to leave Oxfam charity shop' after they were heard speaking Welsh - in Wales

http://flip.it/o6PVe7

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no deal amendment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEXGgdqMz8

"We do what we want and we do it with pride [no matter how dumb]" - this administration's motto.

(I unironically love this song.)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sulphagnist posted:

The crazy and tragic part is that I am confident either one of Norway+ or May's deal would pass pretty comfortably... in a secret ballot. Plenty of MPs who think No Deal is bad, but don't want to vote for one deal or the other, or for any deal at all, because they want to keep their seats.

I mean, many things would pass in a secret ballot... there's a reason we don't have them for elected representatives, however.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

Wrexham family 'told to leave Oxfam charity shop' after they were heard speaking Welsh - in Wales

And in proper Wales as well. Not Saith's lovely pretend Wales.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Birmingham isn't close to the centre of England far less the UK.

Hmmm, looking at a map I think you're right, the definition used for it seems to be "furthest point away from the coast", which is at Meriden near Coventry, which is what I was referring to. It could also be the geographic centre weighted by population, but I'm honestly not sure.
Here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

quote:

We strive to ensure that inclusivity and diversity are at the heart of our approach wherever we work in the world, including here in Wales.
The diversity of not calling Welsh a foreign language in Wales, truly inspiring.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1105888231030177793

Some Tory's talking about how great the UK economy is right now (as an EU member) so brexit will be just fine and we got this

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

...MK is on the West Coast Main Line which goes into Euston?

I guess I might be a bit rusty now - I keep forgetting that experience was 12-15 years ago! I don't think WCML was working at the time. We had people commuting in from all sorts of Oop North.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Spelman amendment *will* now be moved by Catherine West (Lab) who I've never heard of before

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Regarde Aduck posted:

And in proper Wales as well. Not Saith's lovely pretend Wales.

The article says it took place in Hay On Wye, which while technically on the Welsh side of the border, is about as English as you can get. I lived in the general area for a few years, and you could go for weeks without hearing Welsh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Stealing from the graun liveblog (which is stealing our posters anyway)

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1105857129330679808

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1105870852267130885

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1105873515658600449

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1105876037236412418

Bercow might have had enough

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Beeb presenter just declared on live broadcast that "both sides are putting party before country" after everyone there had grossly misrepresented what Labour wants and why they're not backing May's deal :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ms Adequate posted:

Beeb presenter just declared on live broadcast that "both sides are putting party before country" after everyone there had grossly misrepresented what Labour wants and why they're not backing May's deal :v:

yeah I saw Maitlis doing it last night, Barry was right pissed

May keeps coming back with the same deal over and over after it's repeatedly rejected by the house and it's apparently Labour's fault for not caving in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Bercow might have had enough

Bercow is too lenient for my taste but I do think that the main effect of May's premiership might be cementing Bercow as one of the best speakers, both in terms of his job and in terms of dunks.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

I just don't understand why anyone would want "sovereignty". I despise nationalism and don't care about my country. I left Portugal and don't want to return. And now because of assholes like these, the whole European project is in risk of collapse. I am now used to making over 3000 Euros net and would rather die than go back to below that. My degree has no application in my home country but now apparently I should have had the loving foresight when I was 15 to become a farmer and get used to living in poverty because as it turns out I was living in an anomaly that was about to come crashing down. As well as avoid forming attachments to anyone in the UK (the only people who understand my mental health problems and are remotely empathetic to them all live there). All because of loving racists. gently caress.

If it helps I've met many people from Portugal who moved to London to have a better job and a better life. I hear Portugal simply cannot compete in terms of living standards, wages, interesting jobs, job market in general etc, it's a very understandable decision to move somewhere else instead.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Liam Fox is about to get punched.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Tory tried to not move her own no deal amendment but Cooper had co signed and did.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Tory tried to not move her own no deal amendment but Cooper had co signed and did.

here we go, here we loving go

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

lol some Tory's shouted out "it's not moved!!!" and Bercow's all yeah it is bro

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

It's a bad move to wish harm on people but I desire for that last 9 minute tory speaker to suffer eternal explosive diarrhea.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Combat Theory posted:

It's a bad move to wish harm on people but I desire for that last 9 minute tory speaker to suffer eternal explosive diarrhea.

I had to mute it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Combat Theory posted:

that would be Disgraced Former Secretary Liam Fox to give him his full title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Watching BBC news with my missus. We did the same last night. She has generally correct opinions but has never followed closely.

The look on her face constantly when she sees the way the HoC and our MPs behave.

She's currently shaking at her at Bercow screaming division.