Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

HootTheOwl posted:

Except you can turn that off. I don't consider "pilot error" the fault of the airplane. We pay pilots a lot of money to know how.

Depends on how the pilot gets trained. Flying a type of airplane requires getting trained and certified to fly that aircraft. If the process of getting certified and trained on the aircraft doesn't leave pilots prepared to fly the aircraft across multiple nations and companies, that's a problem with the aircraft.

If overriding the safety feature is the safest way to fly the aircraft, that's a stupidly huge problem with the aircraft.

That said, there's a reason why the FAA and it's Canadian equivalent are some of the only countries not banning it.
The primary users of the max 8 are:
Southwest Airlines
American Airlines
Air Canada
WestJet
All of which are based in the US or Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

FoolyCharged posted:

Depends on how the pilot gets trained. Flying a type of airplane requires getting trained and certified to fly that aircraft. If the process of getting certified and trained on the aircraft doesn't leave pilots prepared to fly the aircraft across multiple nations and companies, that's a problem with the aircraft.

If overriding the safety feature is the safest way to fly the aircraft, that's a stupidly huge problem with the aircraft.

That said, there's a reason why the FAA and it's Canadian equivalent are some of the only countries not banning it.
The primary users of the max 8 are:
Southwest Airlines
American Airlines
Air Canada
WestJet
All of which are based in the US or Canada

You posted too close to the sun, friend.

We just grounded MAX-8s. Garneau just announced it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

drat it Canada! you're making a fool of me!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

On the vessel side if I saw an accident created by that type of error I would still characterize it as a failure of the vessel's safety management system (SMS).

Airlines have the same safety managment systems, but they probably call them something slightly different.

And it's also a failure of the regulator that approved said system.

Yep, fundamentally, people will always make errors, so good systems should try to minimize both the chance of them happening, and the consequences. If a hospital sends the wrong person in for a surgery, it may technically be someone screwing up, but the solution isn't to have people not screw up, it's those little identification bracelets that make it easy to check who the patient actually is.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

HootTheOwl posted:

Except you can turn that off. I don't consider "pilot error" the fault of the airplane. We pay pilots a lot of money to know how.
The whole point is that Boeing didn't tell pilots about the new system until after the first crash, including in the "here's what's different about the MAX compared to other 737s" and even in the loving flight manual because they didn't want to "confuse" anyone.

So, during the two most dangerous parts of the flight (Takeoff and Landing), you had to diagnose that the airplane was "helpfully" loving with a part of the controls that exists for the sole purpose of "set it and forget it", turn off the power to those control surfaces (not the system that's loving with them, which by the way you could not possibly know about, but the controls themselves), and manually crank the controls back to where they should be, all the while dealing with the fact that your airplane all of a sudden really wants to convert itself into a subway car.

There's pilot error and then there's a system designed to create pilot error.

HootTheOwl posted:

If this latest crash turns out not be "the system the pilot didn't turn off" I'll eat some poo poo. If it turns out that it's a different flaw of the aircraft I'll eat even more poo poo.
Feel free to quote those and PM you favorite redtext. I'll buy it for myself. But so far there's been two accidents, one from pilot error and one that it's too early to tell.
While one has to take into account the usual caveats about eyewitness accounts, this sounds like a different problem, so you may want to get in the habit of checking your PMs regularly for the next while.
EDIT: Or maybe it is the same. :shrug:

Jethro fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've been reading a bunch of stuff about the 737 max issue and the most interesting details seem to be as follows:

1) Boeing seems to have had a huge incentive to downplay the differences from normal 737s, because otherwise they would have had to go through a lot more effort to get the 737 max approved and pilots would have to get certified separately to fly it. (It sounds like this may be a general industry trend.)

2) Lots of pilots have been surprised/confused by the behavior of the 737 max and complained that it is significantly different from a normal 737, and that they really needed much more training than the 1 hour powerpoint presentation they were given.

3) Apparently if pilots followed all the steps (which they are required to memorize) they are supposed to perform in this situation, they should have successfully disabled the system that was causing the problem. However, it sounds like on normal 737s pilots wouldn't have had to follow the complete procedure in situations like this so maybe they had effectively learned not to do this even if they were supposed to?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What the gently caress

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/03/13/inenglish/1552464196_279320.html

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

They wouldn’t be the CIA if they weren’t both huge assholes and also morons.

Also that 737 poo poo is straight up malpractice on Boeing’s part.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Trump just grounded all the planes anyway.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jethro posted:

The whole point is that Boeing didn't tell pilots about the new system until after the first crash, including in the "here's what's different about the MAX compared to other 737s" and even in the loving flight manual because they didn't want to "confuse" anyone.

So, during the two most dangerous parts of the flight (Takeoff and Landing), you had to diagnose that the airplane was "helpfully" loving with a part of the controls that exists for the sole purpose of "set it and forget it", turn off the power to those control surfaces (not the system that's loving with them, which by the way you could not possibly know about, but the controls themselves), and manually crank the controls back to where they should be, all the while dealing with the fact that your airplane all of a sudden really wants to convert itself into a subway car.

There's pilot error and then there's a system designed to create pilot error.

Agreed. Not to make "a car analogy", but there's a very close comparison between the problems of the 737 MAX automated flight control system and the problems related to vehicular collision avoidance systems identifying stopped objects in the road. False positives could cause serious problems for the drivers so car manufacturers intentionally have the systems ignore halted objects - even though the systems could help in some instances - relying on drivers to recognize and react to impediments without the assistance of autobraking in some instances. The system fails safely.

Boeing made the opposite decision, trusting in their system to be correct. But this decision is clearly a poor one, particularly given that air pitch control is far more problematic than a car suddenly braking. With it being clear that ground avoidance systems are not entirely reliable, the flight controls should be alerting the pilots and then deactivating - not possibly making a mistaken pitch adjustment. Perhaps more fundamentally, pilots should never struggle to turn off the collision avoidance system in order to maintain control of the aircraft - indeed it's difficult to argue that planes should be resisting pilot inputs at all.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

CongoJack posted:

Trump just grounded all the planes anyway.

Trump did something ... good? :psyduck:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

HootTheOwl posted:

If this latest crash turns out not be "the system the pilot didn't turn off" I'll eat some poo poo. If it turns out that it's a different flaw of the aircraft I'll eat even more poo poo.
Feel free to quote those and PM you favorite redtext. I'll buy it for myself. But so far there's been two accidents, one from pilot error and one that it's too early to tell.

Time to eat poo poo.

FAA’s emergency order grounding Boeing jets came after the agency identified similarities between crashes in Ethiopia, Indonesia

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently Southwest uses a lot of 737 maxes and after the news about the first crash they had special indicators added to the HUD to show problems with the angle of attack system and also did additional training for their pilots. This was pretty smart of them and Boeing probably should have added something this to all the planes.

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/southwest-airlines-is-adding-new-angle-of-attack-indicators-to-its-737-max-fleet/

There's no way to get around the fact that even if pilot error is partially to blame, the first crash pretty clearly showed that some sort of additional measures were called for.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 13, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Why? This is literally the situation where I said I wouldn't. The one where it was exactly as the last crash because they didn't turn the thing off.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just for perspective, Southwest is the US carrier with the largest 737 Max 8 fleet, at 34 planes.
That's not a lot of planes. And according to this article the Max 8s make 160 of Southwest's 4000 daily flights.
Don't quote me on this, but I think most of Southwest's planes are variants of the 737 from the 737-600 to the 737-800.

This article goes into some more detail about the Max 8 fleet and the angle of attack error.

Edited to add in news!
Well, it's not really something we're only finding out about now.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/inside-100-million-police-traffic-stops-new-evidence-racial-bias-n980556

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 14, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mystes posted:

Apparently Southwest uses a lot of 737 maxes and after the news about the first crash they had special indicators added to the HUD to show problems with the angle of attack system and also did additional training for their pilots. This was pretty smart of them and Boeing probably should have added something this to all the planes.

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-safety/southwest-airlines-is-adding-new-angle-of-attack-indicators-to-its-737-max-fleet/

There's no way to get around the fact that even if pilot error is partially to blame, the first crash pretty clearly showed that some sort of additional measures were called for.

Hmm... Boeing is going to get hammered.

quote:

Garneau said the new information reviewed Wednesday is satellite tracking data that is collected when an aircraft takes off. He said the data provides an indication of the plane’s course and its vertical profile.

“My experts have looked at this and compared it to the flight that occurred with Lion Air six months ago in October, and . . . there are similarities that sort of exceed a certain threshold in our minds with respect to the possible cause of what happened in Ethi­o­pia,” he said.

In the months leading up to the crash of Ethio­pian Airlines flight 302, pilots from around the U.S. had expressed exasperation about the aircraft’s systems, which limited their control of the planes they were commanding, according to a confidential safety reporting system hosted by NASA.

Pilots wrote of the inadequate training on automation-assisted flying systems, unfamiliarity with the controls, anxiety that prompted them to engage auto­pilot earlier than normal and at least two instances where the plane pitched downward or maneuvered against pilots’ inputs.

“I think it is unconscionable that a manufacturer, the FAA, and the airlines would have pilots flying an airplane without adequately training, or even providing available resources and sufficient documentation to understand the highly complex systems that differentiate this aircraft from prior models,” one pilot reported in November, according to the NASA database. “The fact that this airplane requires such jury rigging to fly is a red flag. Now we know the systems employed are error prone--even if the pilots aren’t sure what those systems are, what redundancies are in place, and failure modes.”

The pilot went on to question how the manufacturer could subject those in the cockpit to a system with which they had so little familiarity.

“I am left to wonder: what else don’t I know?” the pilot said. “The Flight Manual is inadequate and almost criminally insufficient.”

It was one of about a dozen complaints about the Boeing 737 MAX in a NASA safety database, first reported by the Dallas Morning News, which chronicles the extent to which pilots were leery of the new aircraft, anxious about their training, and concerned about automated flying assistance features such as a new sensor system in the plane.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Good news.

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1105991807282962433

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Florida man is stepping up

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1105994804989755395

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Charlz Guybon posted:

How is Don jr. so fantastically stupid? It boggles the mind, especially since he isn't a senile old man riddled with dementia like his dad.

Everyone gets this wrong about Trump. It isn't his age. He was ALWAYS breathtakingly stupid, he's always spoken in that idiotic gabbling babble, he's always made up everything he's been talking about right on the spot. Look at any unscripted video of him earlier in life and you can see he's maybe a little slower, maybe he fucks up a word a little more often, but it's the same speed freak stupid ramble. Don Jr is pretty dumb, to be sure, but it's not like his dad wasn't a pants on head moron when he was younger.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

BrandorKP posted:

Pay careful attention to the banks language here. Particularly the distinction between "Owner" and "Operator" in a lot of transportation (and pipelines are) things don't work like one would normally expect with regards to liabilities. One would need to dig into the CFRs to get the specfics for different modes.

If Wells Fargo loans me money to buy a car they are not liable if i run someone over with it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SimonCat posted:

If Wells Fargo loans me money to buy a car they are not liable if i run someone over with it.

Because they own the loan and not the car?

You would be both owner and operator in that circumstance dingus. And your car is not a pipeline, ship, or railroad and it often works differently for those things.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

BrandorKP posted:

Because they own the loan and not the car?

You would be both owner and operator in that circumstance dingus. And your car is not a pipeline, ship, or railroad and it often works differently for those things.

They hold the title until the loan is paid, making them the owner.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Wow! Good on NYC!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cash-n-y-feds-tests-100k-rape-kits-leads-1k-n982186

quote:

Cash from N.Y., feds tests 100K rape kits, leads to 1K arrests

This follows growing calls to eliminate what's known as the rape kit backlog, or evidence collected in sexual assault cases that was never tested for DNA.

March 13, 2019, 1:28 AM GMT+9 / Updated March 13, 2019, 1:30 AM GMT+9 / Source: Associated Press
By Associated Press

Languishing evidence in over 100,000 sexual assault cases around the country has been sent for DNA testing with money from a New York prosecutor and federal authorities, spurring over 1,000 arrests and hundreds of convictions in three years, officials said Tuesday.

It's estimated that another 155,000 or more sex assault evidence kits still await testing, and thousands of results have yet to be linked to suspects. Many who have been identified can't be prosecuted because of legal time limits and other factors.

Still, "we have begun to rectify what has been a tragic failure of government and law enforcement at all levels — a decades-long, systematic denial of equal rights for women in the justice system," Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said in a statement while releasing results of his $38 million investment in testing outside his own turf.

Law enforcement and lawmakers have faced growing calls in recent years to eliminate what's known as the rape kit backlog — swabs and samples collected in sex assault cases but never tested for DNA. Victims' advocates see the untested kits as signs that sexual assaults weren't taken seriously enough.

Vance, who took office after New York City cleared its own testing backlog, and the Department of Justice have worked in tandem since 2015 to help other places tackle theirs.

The two agencies have paid to send years-old kits to labs from dozens of states and communities, ranging from Flint, Michigan, to Mobile, Alabama, to Las Vegas.

Some cities also have mobilized on their own. But the big grants from Manhattan and Washington "infused this movement with resources," says Ilse Knecht of the Joyful Heart Foundation, a sexual assault victims' advocacy group that has spotlighted the backlog.

"There's a lot more to do," she said, but "this was the right thing to do."

The backlog built up over decades, partly due to the cost of tests that can run $1,000 or more.

But victims' advocates also say many sex assault cases simply got sidelined over the years by police and prosecutors who unduly disbelieved or downplayed victims' allegations.

New York City worked through a 17,000-case backlog between 2000 and 2003, an effort that yielded more than 200 prosecutions. Vance, a Democrat elected in 2009, offered other places money to attack their own backlogs and negotiated discount rates with labs.

His program — financed with $38 million from settlements in banking-related cases — dispatched more than 55,000 rape kits to testing labs. The results have yielded 186 arrests and 64 convictions to date, with more investigations and prosecutions still underway, according to a report released Tuesday.

In Riverside, California, arrests included a suspect in the rape of a teenage girl asleep on her couch in 1996, the report said. The Tempe Police Department in Arizona assigned two cold-case investigators to work full-time on rape kit cases there. North Dakota cleared its entire backlog of 210 kits.

Meanwhile, another nearly 45,000 rape kits have been sent to labs through the Justice Department program — and it's produced nearly 899 prosecutions and 498 convictions and plea bargains, according to data the agency provided Monday to The Associated Press.

The Justice Department has put $154 million over three years into its sexual assault kit initiative, which includes other things besides testing.

DNA testing is far from a surefire way to close cases. Only some rape kits have sufficient DNA to generate a profile of a potential suspect. Just some of those match any profile in the FBI databank — and sometimes it's just a match to DNA that turned up at another crime scene, with no name attached unless the person gets arrested in the future.

Even when DNA matches a known offender, prosecution is sometimes impossible because the legal time clock has run out, the suspect has died, the victim is unavailable to testify or other reasons.

But authorities and victims' advocates say arrests aren't the only measure of the impact of getting the tests done.

"It means that the criminal justice system cares what happened to you," Knecht said.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SimonCat posted:

Yeah but you're still on the registration with the state.

Let's look at itb this way let's say you have an oil tanker. A bank owns the vessel. A Greek vessel management company operates the vessel. A Filipino crewing company provides the employees that physically work on the ship. A charter time charters the vessel for a cargo. A country administers an interpretation of SOLAS as the vessels flag state. A classification society issues certificates for the vessels equipment and SMS.

It runs aground an investigation finds that the third mate made a navigational error and failed to notify the captain when it was identified. However the error and the failure to notify the captain occurred due to a falty procedure in the vessels SMS. The SMS was created by the operator, approved by the class and accepted by the flag.

Who gets sued and where does the liability for the accident lie? One has to turn to a list of international treaties and national regulations to answer that question. Pipelines (and airline) accidents are similarly complicated in a way that is very different from a passenger vehicle.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SimonCat posted:

This is completely wrong. Having a lien / secured interest does not make them the owner, even if they have possession of the title.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Head of the Gambinos was just shot in front of his home in NYC, weird time for that to heat up

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yikes. Remind me to never get raped because even if I literally hand police the evidence needed to get the person who did it dead to rights, they might just sit on it until the statute of limitations passes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FoolyCharged posted:

Remind me to never get raped

Don't get raped!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Don't get raped!
Hey Hey Hey! Don't get Raped! - Fat Albert

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

Yikes. Remind me to never get raped

Always sound advice.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Former Indiana Sen. Birch Bayh has died. He put more ink on the Constitution than anyone in living memory, lowering the voting age to 18 and defining the process of presidential succession. He also attempted abolish the Electoral College and was a key player in developing the stalled Equal Rights Amendment. Despite those failures, Bayh was also the "Father of Title IX" and was instrumental in pushing that through before the dark cloud of conservatism descended on the country.

Shame we never got to see him campaign for Buttigieg.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2019/03/14/birch-bayh-death-obituary-indiana-senator-25-amendment-title-ix-bayh-dole-act/3160005002/

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

I grew up in New Port Richey, lol. That place is exactly as you'd think it is after reading these stories. The "mayor" is just some schmuck because everyone is too busy doing opiates to vote. Pasco county's only industry is having full nude strip clubs that also serve liquor (something you can't get in Tampa proper).

AMA about Pasco County.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
When is the next election and how do I announce my campaign

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Head of the Gambinos was just shot in front of his home in NYC, weird time for that to heat up

The most curious thing about it to me is that the mafia runs so openly "See that little house on that little suburban neighborhood? That is where the head of the Mafia lives."
This apparently happened on the same day as the head of another New York City crime family was acquitted.

It seems odd that while there has been hysteria against MS-13 from certain quarters, the Italian mafia are almost treated like a normal part of life in NYC. And yes, I know the easy answer is "xenophobia", but its not that easy of an answer, since in other circumstances, Italians could be seen as a foreign group.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that Remington could be held liable for Sandy Hook

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1106220570046328833?s=19

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

The most curious thing about it to me is that the mafia runs so openly "See that little house on that little suburban neighborhood? That is where the head of the Mafia lives."
This apparently happened on the same day as the head of another New York City crime family was acquitted.

It seems odd that while there has been hysteria against MS-13 from certain quarters, the Italian mafia are almost treated like a normal part of life in NYC. And yes, I know the easy answer is "xenophobia", but its not that easy of an answer, since in other circumstances, Italians could be seen as a foreign group.

It's because we've had several decades to get used to them, I guess. Italians gradually "became white" and the Mafia were gradually glamorized by pop culture. Meanwhile there was an actual crackdown on the Mafia, to the point where it's easy to see why some people would assume they've disbanded completely by now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VikingofRock posted:

The Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that Remington could be held liable for Sandy Hook

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1106220570046328833?s=19

Maybe sort of. All but one part of the plantiffs' suit was dismissed and all that they still have going is saying that Remington did misleading and dangerous marketing.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Request:

There was a twitter thread a day or two ago from a girl who used to write college entrance papers and other types of papers for wealthy clients (helping them cheat). She then goes on to talk about the advantages of going to these prestigious universities (even after graduating) and how she was STILL helping them write papers for things like charity boards and what not. Her first tweet in the thread was something like "to my current clients I am no longer doing this kind of work and I'm not proud I ever did it."

I meant to bookmark the tweet thread because it was really good but I somehow lost the link and my Google-Fu is weak. :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

glowing-fish posted:

Italians have been in NYC since day 1 and are a yuge part of NYC's culture

And the RICO act really did do a number on most of the mobs traditional rackets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Xarthor posted:

Request:

There was a twitter thread a day or two ago from a girl who used to write college entrance papers and other types of papers for wealthy clients (helping them cheat). She then goes on to talk about the advantages of going to these prestigious universities (even after graduating) and how she was STILL helping them write papers for things like charity boards and what not. Her first tweet in the thread was something like "to my current clients I am no longer doing this kind of work and I'm not proud I ever did it."

I meant to bookmark the tweet thread because it was really good but I somehow lost the link and my Google-Fu is weak. :(

I mean, considering that it's part of an active legal case and major national scandal right now, that tweet was probably deleted.