Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Final Fantasy 16 should be Skate 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

I love everything about FFVIII except for the part where you actually play it

I'm enjoying playing it!

....so far.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF16 should be about the Eidolons and what they do on their day off when they're not being summoned by various FF protags. They could have a chapter where they all go shopping and Ifrit tries to find a pair of pants that fit him or something. Maybe a spa day.

Also have Gilgamesh because why not.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
FF16 should be about how Ifrit turned from a devil man into a dog boar man. Or how Shiva turned for an ice woman to motorcycle sisters.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Not gonna lie that's a big reason why I play Granblue, because they have a lot of what amounts to Final Fantasy summons joining your party and being idiots because they don't understand what human culture is and it's mega adorable every single time

You get Shiva (who looks more like his traditional six-armed god form) and time is spent with him wondering what the phrase "that's sick bro" means

quote:

Shiva: I have heard this word geez as well.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This makes FF8 harder, don't do this

"Hard" FF8 is still incredibly easy, based on the multiple accidental level 100 no-junction playthroughs I've heard people I know admit to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

I would pay a lot of money for Final Fantasy Madden.

final fantasy football sounds like a loving cash cow gacha game waiting to happen

v isn't it because most summons only happen under very specific circumstances and ramuh is the only one that works everywhere

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's time for titan to get his own punch-out clone

I watched a video of all the XV summons a while back and it sucks I only got Ramuh 98% of the time because they're all very cool and I never saw most of them in the like 80 hours I played it

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Stupid sexy Titan

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

A Sometimes Food posted:

Random question, what would you do for FF16?

Farm it out to someone else so we see it in our lifetimes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bentacos posted:

Stupid sexy Titan

The power of the earth is in his rear end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's time for titan to get his own punch-out clone

I watched a video of all the XV summons a while back and it sucks I only got Ramuh 98% of the time because they're all very cool and I never saw most of them in the like 80 hours I played it

If I remember correctly, they're defined by the area you're in when you're in danger. So if you get a summon in Venice you get leviathan, etc. But the main open world is just Ramuh and Titan, and iirc most of it can't even have Titan show up so Ramuh is the one you see almost all the time

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Random question, what would you do for FF16?
For setting, I honestly think FF15's direction was a perfectly valid path to take and they should probably go on in that vein. That game was tremendously mismanaged but a lot of the ideas it had were good.

Battle system: they absolutely need to make the game a proper action game or make it a turn-based ATB system again. Weird half-assed poo poo like 15's system where they clearly want to do an action game but also have you go through menus and poo poo mid-combat and have no mechanical skill required isn't fun for anyone. It just feels like they consider ATB outdated but don't want to alienate longtime fans and haven't quite wrapped their heads around how to do a proper action rpg, and the result is just a clunky mess that nobody is really happy with.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the entire party should be moogles

Mega64
May 23, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

For setting, I honestly think FF15's direction was a perfectly valid path to take and they should probably go on in that vein. That game was tremendously mismanaged but a lot of the ideas it had were good.

The setting works great for 15, but the beauty of this dumb series is every entry has an entirely different setting that makes that game stand out. Whatever 16 ends up being, I want it to be its own thing beyond all the weird poo poo we’ve seen. Really old fantasy-style, major sci-fi elements, the set of a popular sitcom, whatever it is, just make it unique and bizarre and weird and wonderful like all the other games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Final Fantasy 16: Ultros

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I cannot argue with that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

:getin:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
FF16 is just a game version of the FFX audio drama

you know what part it is I want to see

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This makes FF8 harder, don't do this

Harder? Yeah, sure. Hard? Not really, no.

FF8 is not a particularly difficult game and this goon obsession that you absolutely must break it on your first run simply because you can is loving weird.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

If I remember correctly, they're defined by the area you're in when you're in danger. So if you get a summon in Venice you get leviathan, etc. But the main open world is just Ramuh and Titan, and iirc most of it can't even have Titan show up so Ramuh is the one you see almost all the time

Actually no. The problem is they have triggers for them and Ramuh's trigger is time having passed at all basically. They DO have certain areas they won't show up in (Notably Titan is only open world non-cities basically so he wouldn't gently caress over everything) but the main triggers are that Titan only comes if you allies are dieing, Ramuh is based on time passed in battle, Levi comes when you spend time in a danger state(with increased odds around bodies of water. And like titan no odds in non-wide open areas), and Shiva is triggered by any thing that triggers other summons. Only Ramuh and Shiva can trigger ANYWHERE and the only enclosed areas that could trigger Titan or Levi are military bases(I think.....I seem to recall titan punching one once) and the final area of the game which is the only time I've EVER seen Levi in a non-scripted way. Ramuh is just way easier to get especially if you are playing well at all and when Shiva arrives she basically halves the already slim chances of Titan or Levi showing up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bongo Bill posted:

Abilities come from GFs. If you remove a GF, it also removes all the abilities you had junctioned from them. So when you junction a GF, the next thing you should do is junction abilities. How are you supposed to know that you need to junction abilities? The junction tutorial.

If you're reading a walkthrough that's telling you to draw a shitload of magic from enemies, you're reading a bad walkthrough. That's the boring way to break the game. Try going a while without trying to break the game, and then come back and ask us about cards.

I played from the start past Odin and didn't use junctions until some point in disc 3 (or 4, I forget). The game was reasonably challenging up to that point. Then I junctioned my spells and the game became a time wasting snoozefest that I couldn't wait to be rid of.

Jerry Cotton posted:

:bisonyes:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Veib posted:

FF8 is not a particularly difficult game and this goon obsession that you absolutely must break it on your first run simply because you can is loving weird.

It's not an obsession it's just not boring.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Veib posted:

8's weird because its rules make it a super breezy game to replay, but I can see how it would be frustrating to try to powergame. If you don't mind playing cards, you can get enough high level magic to junction and use to put you on easy street. The enemy scaling means you don't ever have to worry about grinding, and you can use enc-half and enc-none to turn down or off random encounters whenever you want, so you really only ever have to fight in that game when you want to (after the first few hours). That's my perspective, but I know some people just get annoyed by having less than 99 of every spell, or knowing that the enemy stats are always going to roughly match your level up gains.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Veib posted:

i highly recommend breaking ff8 on your first playthrough because have you ever played that poo poo without understanding junctions? we were all twelve once

and yes, breaking ff8 is extremely binary. you're a million miles ahead of the strength curve by junctioning 100 fira, or even 100 firaga, to anybody's strength and you don't even need to do all the arcane triple triad card mod poo poo. or quake, that's another insanely powerful junction that you can get off sacred just by doing sidequests on the fist disc. nobody needs 255 str, you can get by with like >100 and you're golden even if you grinded to max level by accident.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Final Fantasy VIIIx2: Squall's Return

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrightWing posted:

Final Fantasy VIIIx2: Squall's Return

FF8-2: Laguna's roadtrip with his bros

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FF8-2: Laguna's roadtrip with his bros

Would play the heck outta this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LOL this train sequence is stupid as hell and for some reason all my junctions got undone between the save point and the president boss fight so welp doing it all over again. :downs:

When should I use this lamp?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL this train sequence is stupid as hell and for some reason all my junctions got undone between the save point and the president boss fight so welp doing it all over again. :downs:

you should've used it as soon as you got it so you could have enc-none by now

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Elephant Ambush posted:

As soon as you have the ability to cast Blind. I don't recall whether the boss you fight when you use it has Blind (thus allowing you to Draw-Cast it) but if so, then yeah, the answer is ASAP.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know FF8 is easy to break, but why do I still have trouble even with this knowledge at the final boss? I beat it yesterday, but she still kicked mine rear end a few times, mostly when Griever died and fired off his special attack killing off Rinoa and Quitis. The first time that happen I wasn't able to revive Quitis before she got eaten by the void and was stuck with two party members on the final form who kept spamming the spell to make everyone at 1 HP.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Now that the X remaster is out on current systems they should offer a DLC that replaces Kimarhi with Ultros.

Final Fantasy Ten: Tacles

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The most fun thing is that Squall can never miss his attacks,even when blinded,thus blind increasing his danger level for limit breaks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Use it right now or you're a coward.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rirse posted:

I know FF8 is easy to break, but why do I still have trouble even with this knowledge at the final boss? I beat it yesterday, but she still kicked mine rear end a few times, mostly when Griever died and fired off his special attack killing off Rinoa and Quitis. The first time that happen I wasn't able to revive Quitis before she got eaten by the void and was stuck with two party members on the final form who kept spamming the spell to make everyone at 1 HP.

It's been a long time since I played it, but permanent removal of party members and 1HP defence ignoring attacks sound like almost unavoidable bullshit that will sometimes result in a game over even if you're very strong and understand the game very well. Having said that, Hero Drinks and Holy Wars would probably make it trivial if you can be bothered to get them

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Paperhouse posted:

It's been a long time since I played it, but permanent removal of party members and 1HP defence ignoring attacks sound like almost unavoidable bullshit that will sometimes result in a game over even if you're very strong and understand the game very well. Having said that, Hero Drinks and Holy Wars would probably make it trivial if you can be bothered to get them

Think I did have a hero drink, but forgot all about it. Oh well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Octopus Traveler.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My last play through of FF8

Aw man this music is so good
Aw man Balamb Garden! Yesss
Ok so I can do 9999 now and I haven’t met Rinoa yet
I guess I’ll do encounter none and kill bosses in one hit

What exactly am I playing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think my fave thing about ff12 is how quickenings do less damage per second than just auto attacking. i tried on several high hp foes

what the gently caress square

EDIT: nevermind i didnt take into account fastforward lol

Relin fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 14, 2019