Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Not that I need it at midnight, but it's still showing as pre-registration for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone got any suggestion for good board game apps? All the ones I have tried seem to have God awful controls and connectivity problems.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The CGE Digital games are by far the best. The underlying board games are fantastic and the implementation is high quality.

Galaxy Trucker: build a spaceship in real time out of sewer pipes, then race your fellow truckers through a deck of obstacle cards, encountering meteor swarms (that can knock parts off your ship), slavers (that will steal your crew and leave you adrift, unless you can fight them off), but also opportunities for profit. The digital version allows for multiplayer games, but also has a campaign mode that gradually eases you into the complexity of the full game, and has some fiendishly difficult challenges to overcome. (I haven't finished them all). There's also a turn-based alternative to the real-time shipbuilding (which is convenient for pass-and-play multiplayer). I mainly played it on a tablet so I can't speak to the phone controls

Through the Ages: Take a civilisation from the age of antiquity all the way to the modern era, aiming to be the most cultured at the end of the game. Success requires careful balancing of resource production, science, and military might. The ai is very beatable on the lower difficulties, but puts up a strong fight if you turn the difficulty up. If that's still not enough, the digital adaptation also has a whole bunch of challenges that you put you in an interesting situation (perhaps with some disadvantages) that will really put you to the test if you want to win. Plays well on a phone.

Outside of CGE stuff, there's some other options:

Twilight Struggle is a game of Cold War brinkmanship, pitting the US and USSR against each other in pursuit of world domination. Each player has a hand of cards representing events of the time, and can play those cards either for operations (to sway the countries of the world into your camp), or for the event printed on the card. Players earn victory points based on the balance of power when special Scoring Cards are played, and win the game by either getting far enough ahead in scoring, having a lead in scoring at the end of the game, or if the cold war goes hot but the world considers it to be the opponent's fault. The digital adaptation has a reasonably competent ai (though you will eventually get to the point of consistently beating it), but the real meat of the game is in the multiplayer. Plays well on a phone.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Through the Ages is one of my favorite board games, and not only does the phone version play great, it has a very good tutorial for a game that is as complicated as it is.

The challenges are really fun, and either mix the game up in interesting ways or straight up give the AI more advantage if you are feeling too pro for the standard hard AI (which is hard already).

The other great feature is the undo action button. An individual turn can be 10 different actions you can take and the ordering can matter, but no new information gets revealed in the meantime. So often times you may find yourself getting to the end of the turn and realizing you were one resource short, so you can just undo and go again. Very very helpful

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The curved edges on my OnePlus 6T make it hard to see the health level in the bottom right in 80 Days :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jabor posted:

The CGE Digital games are by far the best. The underlying board games are fantastic and the implementation is high quality.

Galaxy Trucker: build a spaceship in real time out of sewer pipes, then race your fellow truckers through a deck of obstacle cards, encountering meteor swarms (that can knock parts off your ship), slavers (that will steal your crew and leave you adrift, unless you can fight them off), but also opportunities for profit. The digital version allows for multiplayer games, but also has a campaign mode that gradually eases you into the complexity of the full game, and has some fiendishly difficult challenges to overcome. (I haven't finished them all). There's also a turn-based alternative to the real-time shipbuilding (which is convenient for pass-and-play multiplayer). I mainly played it on a tablet so I can't speak to the phone controls

Through the Ages: Take a civilisation from the age of antiquity all the way to the modern era, aiming to be the most cultured at the end of the game. Success requires careful balancing of resource production, science, and military might. The ai is very beatable on the lower difficulties, but puts up a strong fight if you turn the difficulty up. If that's still not enough, the digital adaptation also has a whole bunch of challenges that you put you in an interesting situation (perhaps with some disadvantages) that will really put you to the test if you want to win. Plays well on a phone.

Outside of CGE stuff, there's some other options:

This post reminded me to reinstall Galaxy Trucker because it's just so loving good, and I'll definitely be checking out Through the Ages.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OhFunny posted:

The curved edges on my OnePlus 6T make it hard to see the health level in the bottom right in 80 Days :(

Yeah, but aesthetics.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Shwqa posted:

Anyone got any suggestion for good board game apps? All the ones I have tried seem to have God awful controls and connectivity problems.

On a related note, theres like a million chess apps, what's a good one for playing against friends and/or AI?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Re: Stardew Valley - any idea if you can increase the size of text? Everything seems so tiny.. I looked at the Options menu but didn't see that as a choice.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

New Leaf posted:

Re: Stardew Valley - any idea if you can increase the size of text? Everything seems so tiny.. I looked at the Options menu but didn't see that as a choice.

I'm not seeing it either, just numbers for some reason. I did move the hotbar to the bottom as it's also too then on the side, but that has a weird graphics issue.

I'm on an essential phone for size reference.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

cool dance moves posted:

On a related note, theres like a million chess apps, what's a good one for playing against friends and/or AI?

Lichess and Chess.com are the two best apps for both solo play and against friends. Chess.com has the benefit of integration into other social media if your friends don't want to sign up for Yet Another Account, but a lot of its more advanced stuff is blocked off behind a (really quite cheap) monthly subscription... absolutely massive userbase though. Lichess is 100% free, feature-rich, and aesthetically-pleasing and also has a ton of users, but its Elo rating is skewed heavily upwards (meaning you'll have a higher rating than you would have at Chess.com). All online services have a skew like this compared to over-the-board chess, but Lichess's rating is particularly inflated.

Edit: both of them will require an internet connection to be functional though, even for solo play, as their chess engines are hosted online and not installed directly in your app.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 14, 2019

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Harminoff posted:

I'm not seeing it either, just numbers for some reason. I did move the hotbar to the bottom as it's also too then on the side, but that has a weird graphics issue.

I'm on an essential phone for size reference.

Yeah I saw that option. Here's what I'm seeing, for reference.. definitely doesn't look like the text size in other screenshots. LG G7 here.

It's readable, but imagine that on a phone screen.. VERY small.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

cool dance moves posted:

Lichess is my go-to, and in my opinion Chess.com is only good in case of emergency.

Lichess has no ads and is no-nonsense. It has all of the same features as Chess.com is my knowledge, but no limitations that are unlocked with a paid membership. Plus you can play without an account, exerting to PGN is a little easier, and their web interface is a lot kinder as well.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Lichess is my go-to, and in my opinion Chess.com is only good in case of emergency.

Lichess has no ads and is no-nonsense. It has all of the same features as Chess.com is my knowledge, but no limitations that are unlocked with a paid membership. Plus you can play without an account, exerting to PGN is a little easier, and their web interface is a lot kinder as well.

Lichess also allows you to run computer analysis on your games for free, whereas Chess.com makes you pay for an upgraded membership if you want to do more than like 2 in a month I think :eng101:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Drone posted:

All online services have a skew like this compared to over-the-board chess, but Lichess's rating is particularly inflated.

Out of curiosity do you know if there's a mathematical reason for this, or is it just "to make players think they're awesomer and give us higher ratings"?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
lichess and chess.com both use glicko instead of elo (like fide/uscf use for otb games) which is probably whats actually interesting for a mathematician but the real answer is that lichess sets its default at 1500 whereas chess.com uses 1200 as its default

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

got some chores tonight posted:

lichess sets its default at 1500 whereas chess.com uses 1200 as its default

Have lichess ever said why this is, exactly? It seems really strange, especially when you consider 1500 OTB is generally considered to be an intermediate player (at least in USCF), whereas a beginner is somewhere around 800-1000.

Also there's a chess thread that could use more activity, and there's a goon chess club on chess.com (not sure if there's a lichess group, I haven't kept up in awhile): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 14, 2019

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
How does Stardew monster fighting feel with the phone interface?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Stardew looks fine on my Pixel 2. Don't ask me about fighting as I mostly just loaded it up to see how it looked, and the basic gameplay elements of farmin'

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about shredder chess

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the game Really Bad Chess is fun. it's not a super serious chess app. it sets you up against a computer opponent with a non-standard set of pieces, where you either have stronger pieces or weaker pieces than the opponent. it is kind of a fun way to handicap yourself against the computer

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Stardew seems okay. The text is a bit small and the controls aren't very good, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I haven't played it before, and I like having it on my phone so I can play it while in bed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Been playing Tacticool for the past few days, just ended up uninstalling it. The game is pretty fun at first, but then you start getting tired of the cycle of 4 maps over and over.

And the WHALES, holy poo poo. The higher rank I've gotten, the worse it has been. It was at the point where nearly every game had someone with a gun that does literally 3-4x as much damage as anyone else's, using a character with 2x as much health. A single whale will absolutely destroy the enemy team, to the point where you can't even leave the spawn area sometimes.

The game started out good, but it has one of the most overblown and aggressive pay to win schemes I've seen on a mobile game. Stay away.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 15, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How's Stardew on both battery level, and ease of app switching? Some games I *would* play on my phone, but either they eat up too much battery, or switching between them causes everything to reset, and that's really a huge downside to me. Maybe for Stardew, I'd look past them and just play it in bed while plugged in, but I don't know.

Stardew is so good, in general.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Battery so far is pretty good. Gameplay resumes where you left off, so not required to sleep before switching off

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
I played for about 2 hours and only used around 15% so it's kinda ridiculously good about battery usage.

Did run into a bug where I couldn't get into the 7th day, but there was an update to fix it, and then another update for something else this morning so it seems like they're pretty on the ball about issues.

Controls are kinda rear end, but there's a bunch of different settings I haven't tried yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Found this last night and I don't think I've seen it posted. A little turn based strategy 4x-very lite

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.togglegear.game.hexonia

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Influence is a neat free little board game. Control nodes to expand to kill enemy nodes

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

Found this last night and I don't think I've seen it posted. A little turn based strategy 4x-very lite

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.togglegear.game.hexonia

This looks like almost an exact knockoff of Battle for Polytopia

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Yeah, looks very similar. Has anyone whose played both found differences that'd make Hexonia worth trying if you've already played a ton of Polytopia? If it's just a knock off I'll probably pass, but I'd love more games like that to try.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Chin Strap posted:

How does Stardew monster fighting feel with the phone interface?

Not great. It defaults to an auto attack thing which works... poorly. I assume manual attacking is even worse but I haven't tried it yet. The non-combat controls work really well so I'm hoping there's a trick to it or they improve it.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

RBA Starblade posted:

Influence is a neat free little board game. Control nodes to expand to kill enemy nodes

Are the ads intrusive, or can you pay to turn them off?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wheeler W Wetherby posted:

Are the ads intrusive, or can you pay to turn them off?

I haven't seen any ads yet, though I've only played offline either against the ai or against a friend

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The creators of Plague Inc. have a new mobile game called Rebel Inc. You have to stop a rebellion from spreading and the rebel units don't outright die when you defeat them, they flee to neighboring tiles. It's a fun little game of trying to use military resources penning the rebels in without neglecting civics projects and letting your country destabilize further. They did a good job with the interface, it plays comfortably even on a phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ndemiccreations.rebelinc&hl=en_US

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The creators of Plague Inc. have a new mobile game called Rebel Inc. You have to stop a rebellion from spreading and the rebel units don't outright die when you defeat them, they flee to neighboring tiles. It's a fun little game of trying to use military resources penning the rebels in without neglecting civics projects and letting your country destabilize further. They did a good job with the interface, it plays comfortably even on a phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ndemiccreations.rebelinc&hl=en_US

Yeah, we were talking about this some pages back. The general consensus seems to be "skeeved out by the setting".

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Don't forget "shallow".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Influence is super badly skewed for player 2 to win actually, they give them an extra point to expand, but attacking with at least two higher than the defending node is an instant win for the attacker, so they expand and snowball.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, we were talking about this some pages back. The general consensus seems to be "skeeved out by the setting".

Yeah but we're going to need this training to overthrow the Trump regime.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/NimbleBit/status/1107679272863334400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it another game about managing timers?!