Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

On a lark last night I messaged MDF and they are definitely not doing Days of Darkness again

Doom Boom Over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

maybe they're changing it to nights of darkness to make it more gloomy

fr tho that sucks those lineups are always rock-solid

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

maybe they're changing it to nights of darkness to make it more gloomy

fr tho that sucks those lineups are always rock-solid

The first year was insane lightning in a bottle http://www.deathfests.com/event/days-darkness-festival-2017

You could cut this down by like a factor of four and it still would have been worth it.

rip

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I posted this poster for a show down in Kentucky a couple days ago in the metal thread, and while it's a mix of bands, there's some good SDS stuff in there and the whole lineup is real solid.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey everyone :)
I have some exciting news. As of today, this thread is.... 8 years old!
I can't believe we've been posting in this iteration of the S/D/S thread since 2011!
Props to the legend Idioteque Dance for starting this new one after the amazing last one. I've learned about so much great music in here that's really shaped my life. So many great memories from concerts I've gone to after hearing about bands from people here. Although I haven't been listening to as much of this type of music as I was 8 years ago, Metal is still always in my heart.
Woo!

:love: thread owns, metal goons are the best goons

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

deafheaven, baroness, zeal and ardor tonight. i am stoked. the wiltern is beautiful. we opted to get balcony seats and the view is pretty drat good and the seats are good. cant say ive ever sat for a show before but im okay with getting old.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not exactly SDS, but:
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1105974389638602754

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Eat The Rich posted:

deafheaven, baroness, zeal and ardor tonight. i am stoked. the wiltern is beautiful. we opted to get balcony seats and the view is pretty drat good and the seats are good. cant say ive ever sat for a show before but im okay with getting old.

I still want to see Baroness, but Yob/Voivod is playing on the same night as them around here soo.. Yob it is.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

yeah i would make the same choice

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yob is always the way.

Dead to a Dying World put out one of my favorite albums of 2015. They're coming out with a new one next month. I am really looking forward to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBSNToAlERA

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

zeal and ardor was incredible. if you havent listened to them yet, go do the thing.

https://youtu.be/BFGU0g1LA9I

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 14, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Eat The Rich posted:

zeal and ardor was incredible. if you havent listened to them yet, go do the thing.

https://youtu.be/BFGU0g1LA9I

I refuse to listen to the wacky 4chan band.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That dude should have kept the 4chan poo poo secret, it isn’t a selling point

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

its certainly their only weak point

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

baroness posted about how several years ago they opened for opeth and high on fire and now they're stoked to be headlining their own shows and I thought that was cute. And then I thought drat I saw that opeth/hof/baroness tour over 10 years ago and it was fuckin sick and I thought I was cool for knowing baroness when most folks were just there for opeth. And then I realized I've seen hof twice which I totally forgot.

baroness' Second ep is still one of the coolest vinyls I own, got this really rad etched design.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
John Baizley did a pop up record+art shop last time Baroness were here and I bought a rad silk screen from him. It’s still above my bed.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think Baroness is more popular now in the mainstream sense than High on Fire. At least if you look at Spotify streams as a metric; Baroness top 5 tracks range from 1.5 - 7 million streams each. As opposed to HoF’s top 5 ranging from 275k - 1.5 mil.

As for me, I still really like Baroness. I’ve been cool with their gradual change from a S/D/S band to more of an Alice In Chains/alt-metal band.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQX_oVVORFU

Crossposting the new Baroness from the metal thread :D

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

As for me, I still really like Baroness. I’ve been cool with their gradual change from a S/D/S band to more of an Alice In Chains/alt-metal band.

for sure, they've been consistently good and held on to a real distinct style despite the changes. I think Blue is my fav album but I'll keep listening to whatever they put out.

it seems like so many sludgy doomy band are destined to mellow out as they go...mastodon, isis, kylesa, rosetta, etc. or guys like Dax Riggs who went from acid bath to indie guitar music with a bluesy rock period in between. keeps things interesting. then you've got bands like neurosis that do all kinds of cool stuff without really changing the core formula too much.

it is the duty of all cool doom bands to become alice in chains, with the charge led by baroness and windhand.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

for sure, they've been consistently good and held on to a real distinct style despite the changes. I think Blue is my fav album but I'll keep listening to whatever they put out.

it seems like so many sludgy doomy band are destined to mellow out as they go...mastodon, isis, kylesa, rosetta, etc. or guys like Dax Riggs who went from acid bath to indie guitar music with a bluesy rock period in between. keeps things interesting. then you've got bands like neurosis that do all kinds of cool stuff without really changing the core formula too much.

it is the duty of all cool doom bands to become alice in chains, with the charge led by baroness and windhand.

All of those bands got significantly more boring too (except Windhand, who were always boring). Baroness and Mastodon are probably handling it the best. Maybe when I’m an old and broken 30 something I’ll appreciate these mellow approaches more.

I’m also a huge AiC fan but don’t really get that vibe from any of these bands.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A human heart posted:

for real, it just sounds like a dull retread of everything they've done for like the last 10 years

Yeah Earth are possibly my favourite band ever and the new track does not grab me. It's fine as it goes, but it feels like more of a throwback to Bees Made Honey and after Primitive and Deadly that's a bit of a disappointment. Still, maybe there's more interesting stuff in the other tracks, and I'd still go see them live again no question.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
baroness is dad rock for millenial dads. its ok to like it though

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They’re just metal dudes and ladies playing hard rock with a bunch of psych/sludge/prog/etc influence. Same with Mastodon now really. I love the sound. Some Baroness songs remind me of Queen and that rules.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nerve posted:

baroness is dad rock for millenial dads. its ok to like it though

I'm neither a father or a millennial and I still enjoy the sweet sounds of Baroness. Guess I'm a walking contradiction.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

Those three bold ones are all north Georgia-based and to my ears always shared a lot of sonic DNA anyway. That they wound up taking similar paths never seemed that shocking to me :shrug:

Not talking smack of course because I like all of those bands, but I'm originally from the other, shittier half of Georgia and I've always felt that similarity.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Those three bold ones are all north Georgia-based and to my ears always shared a lot of sonic DNA anyway. That they wound up taking similar paths never seemed that shocking to me :shrug:

Not talking smack of course because I like all of those bands, but I'm originally from the other, shittier half of Georgia and I've always felt that similarity.

They also all came up together around the same time, especially Mastodon and Kylesa. The first time I saw the former, the latter was part of the tour.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Shakenbaker posted:

Actually, Kylesa and Baroness very have deep roots in the Savannah, Georgia area (SCAD - The Savannah College of Art and Design). Members of both bands went to school there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m sad Kylesa broke up and that Laura Pleasants got dealt such a horrible lovely life card.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

isn't Baroness originally from Lexington VA too? or maybe Baizley is just from there idr. it's a nice little town.

heart breaks for poor Laura P indeed. her new band The Discussion is pretty good, spacey rock, her voice fits real well. who knows what the future for them holds tho :(

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

my bony fealty posted:

isn't Baroness originally from Lexington VA too? or maybe Baizley is just from there idr. it's a nice little town.

heart breaks for poor Laura P indeed. her new band The Discussion is pretty good, spacey rock, her voice fits real well. who knows what the future for them holds tho :(

I think John is the only one originally from VA. The other founding members quit the band after the big bus wreck in 2012. Peter has gone back to just playing with his brother Jake in their band, Valkyrie. They're also based out of Harrisonburg.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

my bony fealty posted:

I had posted a comment on one of her Instagram posts mentioning something about how I hope Kylesa goes more towards a spacey synthesizer sound. Welp, I feel like The Discussion fits that vibe pretty well so I'm really happy.

EDIT - I also told her a few times to release a photography book because her artsy photos are really good. So hopefully one day she will. Or maybe do album cover art

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

when the gently caress is jack white gonna send me my live sleep album, I'm on the verge of canceling the subscription thing but I have no confirmation of anything happening so I kinda don't want to

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I guess I should check out The Discussion. I’ve been in a space rock mood and didn’t realize that’s what they were. I thought I had maybe listened to them once but I guess not. My memory is poo poo.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hey everyone :)
I have some exciting news. As of today, this thread is.... 8 years old!
I can't believe we've been posting in this iteration of the S/D/S thread since 2011!
Props to the legend Idioteque Dance for starting this new one after the amazing last one. I've learned about so much great music in here that's really shaped my life. So many great memories from concerts I've gone to after hearing about bands from people here. Although I haven't been listening to as much of this type of music as I was 8 years ago, Metal is still always in my heart.
Woo!
Holy poo poo. (Thank you!) The only reason I made this second thread was because I asked a mod to change the thread title and they suggested making a new one instead as it was getting a bit long but otherwise the S/D/S talk has been going on about 11ish years now. There's a lot of derivative doom now that I've got no time for but thankfully there's still so much interesting stuff and new artists spinning out in really cool, different directions. And there are the bands still going strong with new Earth, new Sunn, new Torche and more coming this year. And I'm so, so happy that Sleep are back in full force among other reliable big hitters.

Roadburn is coming up soon and jesus christ, the lineup: https://clashfinder.com/s/roadburnfestival2019/?user=meadowdrone

4 loving hours of Sleep among all that, I can't even imagine. Not to forget that they turned down Coachella to do it. Every year is something special and has so many standout, career highlight shows that you just had to be there and I'm so happy to be able to go every year.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 16, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Since we’re having thread anniversary chat, reminder that we have a collaborative Spotify playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/3lKAiFcn89c2IlL8EUbLwj?si=Cn8luT4DTUOUOM5OgG83fQ

I haven’t updated it in a long rear end time, feel free to add good releases from the past few years.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
okay its like doubled in size now

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

cool that's my jam for work today. added some song by a cool act called Devil's Witches. anyone know them/anything similar? I havent found anything too close but it's not a super unique sound.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did they record this new Baroness track on an iPhone or something. The vocal mix sounds so bad.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Did they record this new Baroness track on an iPhone or something. The vocal mix sounds so bad.

I figured that Baroness having a bad mix was part of the charm at this stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Revisiting Soused today bc of Scott Walker's recent death and my imminent one in the Tennessee cave