Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

This is the first of 2 votes. Today was the Brewery's NLRB vote, and the brewery workers can begin negotiating a contract but management convinced the NLRB that the taproom/pilot brewery/additional warehouse space across the street was a different site so should be under a second collective bargaining agreement. So on Friday, the taproom will vote as well. Should the tap room also vote yes, then they will also be able to begin negotiating their contracts, but it would ultimately be 2 contracts, one for the brewery, one for the tap room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The best part about this is it's PissPigGrandad himself, Brace Belden, who is helping organize.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's :perfect:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

FMguru posted:

Hell yes.

Inch by inch, we are becoming more of a proper civilization.

Except on the issue of solitary confinement. On that issue, Newsom is appealing the decision by the federal magistrate ordering an extension of Pelican Bay State Prison’s monitoring period. The infamous supermax prison had continued violating constitutional rights and ignored the terms of the 2015 settlement agreement that was supposed to have strictly limited solitary confinement, so the original two year monitoring period got extended by another 12 months. I have seen a grand total of one article on this subject, and even then, the blame for the appeal is placed on the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation instead of on Governor Gavin Newsom, the man ultimately in charge of the state bureaucracy: https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2019/02/california-ashker-brown-solitary-confinement-status-appeal/

Our media savvy trust fund baby might be willing to suspend a policy of capital punishment that was already effectively suspended by a different court order back in 2006, but he is also going to fight to preserve the right of our supermaxes to subject prisoners to a practice classified by the UN as torture with minimal pretensions of adhering to die process. This thread doesn’t need much warning, but let’s not give California Democrats more credit than they deserve.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 15, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Okay, I have a confession to make. I actually support the death penalty. Yes, I admit it. How liberating. Lethal injections for all death row inmates.

Just replace "death row inmates" with "billionaires."

And replace "lethal injections" with :thermidor:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Snipee posted:

Except on the issue of solitary confinement. On that issue, Newsom is appealing the decision by the federal magistrate ordering an extension of Pelican Bay State Prison’s monitoring period. The infamous supermax prison had continued violating constitutional rights and ignored the terms of the 2015 settlement agreement that was supposed to have strictly limited solitary confinement, so the original two year monitoring period got extended by another 12 months. I have seen a grand total of one article on this subject, and even then, the blame for the appeal is placed on the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation instead of on Governor Gavin Newsom, the man ultimately in charge of the state bureaucracy: https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2019/02/california-ashker-brown-solitary-confinement-status-appeal/

Our media savvy trust fund baby might be willing to suspend a policy of capital punishment that was already effectively suspended by a different court order back in 2006, but he is also going to fight to preserve the right of our supermaxes to subject prisoners to a practice classified by the UN as torture with minimal pretensions of adhering to die process. This thread doesn’t need much warning, but let’s not give California Democrats more credit than they deserve.

Huh. Gang violence in the Bay Area is going to be a lot more interesting when NF hits the main line again.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

Okay, I have a confession to make. I actually support the death penalty. Yes, I admit it. How liberating. Lethal injections for all death row inmates.

there's a fundamental philosophical difference between the death penalty, murder imposed by the powerful on the poor, enforced by the racist and insane police aided by prosecutors like harris whose job is to hide and expunge evidence to convict more and more people, and the murder of the powerful, corrupt and vile by the people themselves

if a group of people painted the walls of the resnicks' estate with their blood in solidarity with the people of fiji i would support that, despite being opposed to the death penalty

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Huh. Gang violence in the Bay Area is going to be a lot more interesting when NF hits the main line again.

There are options to manage prison gangs that don’t involve torture.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

atelier morgan posted:

there's a fundamental philosophical difference between the death penalty, murder imposed by the powerful on the poor, enforced by the racist and insane police aided by prosecutors like harris whose job is to hide and expunge evidence to convict more and more people, and the murder of the powerful, corrupt and vile by the people themselves

if a group of people painted the walls of the resnicks' estate with their blood in solidarity with the people of fiji i would support that, despite being opposed to the death penalty

Maybe the sincerity didn't come through in my post or I'm just drunk, but either way please know I whole heartedly agree with you. :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Snipee posted:

Woah, man. I can't believe you're in here advocating the death penalty.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Let me guess you live in Alamo

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Snipee posted:

The prison gangs in the Cali prison system were essentially created by the prison system to help control the population by making them fight each other.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Hope & Change We Can Believe In

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

fermun posted:

This is the first of 2 votes. Today was the Brewery's NLRB vote, and the brewery workers can begin negotiating a contract but management convinced the NLRB that the taproom/pilot brewery/additional warehouse space across the street was a different site so should be under a second collective bargaining agreement. So on Friday, the taproom will vote as well. Should the tap room also vote yes, then they will also be able to begin negotiating their contracts, but it would ultimately be 2 contracts, one for the brewery, one for the tap room.

Anchor Tap Room has 10 non-manager level employees that are eligible for the union vote, results were 6 yes, 2 no, 2 yes but being contested. That's enough.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

The prison gangs in the Cali prison system were essentially created by the prison system to help control the population by making them fight each other.

Lest anyone think this is a joke, it was official policy to force people from different gangs into yard time together and then shoot to kill if they fight.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Trabisnikof posted:

Lest anyone think this is a joke, it was official policy to force people from different gangs into yard time together and then shoot to kill if they fight.

That's called general population. How should we handle prison gangs, separating them based on the gang they belong to? If so, that's going to start infringing upon their Title 15 rights by reducing their yard time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fermun posted:

Anchor Tap Room has 10 non-manager level employees that are eligible for the union vote, results were 6 yes, 2 no, 2 yes but being contested. That's enough.
why are the 2 yes votes being contested?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There is a difference between gangs existing in genpop and it being official policy to put them together so you can execute them if they fight

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

why are the 2 yes votes being contested?

I'm not sure, but ballots can be discarded if they are considered defaced so if someone accidentally made a mark on the ballot, then management could contest that ballot as part of an effort to try to get it thrown out. With only 10 votes being cast, getting a couple contested could make a big difference in outcome. Since 6 is enough to form the union though, it doesn't matter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chichevache posted:

That's called general population. How should we handle prison gangs, separating them based on the gang they belong to? If so, that's going to start infringing upon their Title 15 rights by reducing their yard time.

Nope.

It was official prison policy to research gang affiliations and then place 2 men each from 2 gangs into tiny yards together and then shoot to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnM6xsIvh8

It’s not surprising you’re either ignorant or a liar.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jaxyon posted:

In case anyone thinks this is an exaggeration:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/staged-fights-betting-guards-gunfire-and-death-for-the-gladiators-1310849.html

quote:

Violent inmates at California's top maximum-security jail were paired off in staged fights as watching prison guards bet on the outcomes, the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday.

In some cases, prisoners who refused to stop fighting were shot dead.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/av45x5/when-prison-guards-force-inmates-to-fight-403

quote:

The gladiator matches aren't isolated to California. Across the country in St. Louis, a 2012 lawsuit alleged that at least two guards, and possibly more, coerced prisoners to fight one another. Using the promise of special privileges, extra food and snacks, the guards reportedly bribed attackers into fighting others, and like in San Francisco, are accused of making bets on the results. "For a guard it's easy to, you know, get in the ear of a gang banger to promise commissary, or phone calls in exchange for a fight," says Crawford. "The guards know that these young guys don't know anything."

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

It was official prison policy to research gang affiliations and then place 2 men each from 2 gangs into tiny yards together and then shoot to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnM6xsIvh8
:negative:

By the way, for anyone who is thinking about whether or not to watch that, (a) I found it interesting (although now I hate humanity a bit more) and (b) it's really only 45 minutes long, then bits of it are repeated.

I don't think the narrator said explicitly, but I think they might have hinted at it, so: is there some benefit to them to put inmates in situations where they fight, so that they can then be kept there longer as punishment? It seems like this prison isn't private but maybe there's still some benefit to the people who run the place to keep the numbers up?

Also when it says it's also dedicated to "Steve Rigg and Richard Caruso, former Correctional Officers who broke the code of silence and paid the price", I looked them up and https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Former-Guard-At-Corcoran-Settles-Suit-Prison-2925934.php says the latter got a payout in 1999 but I can't see what Rigg got apart from a few strokes and his life ruined.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Oh my God, I thought the whole prisoner-fight-club sub-plot in Riverdale was stupid and unrealistic but nope, apparently reality is even worse.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
lol CalPERS is doubling down on private equity.

What could possibly go wrong?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Did you know: PG&E bad?!

quote:

Long before the failure suspected in the Paradise fire, a company email had noted that some of PG&E’s structures in the area, known for fierce winds, were at risk of collapse. It reported corrosion of one tower so severe that it endangered crews trying to repair the tower. The company’s own guidelines put Tower 27/222 a quarter-century beyond its useful life — but the tower remained.

quote:

The commission’s safety and enforcement division found in 2012 that PG&E’s gas and transmission revenues exceeded what it was authorized to collect by $224 million in the decade leading up to the explosion. But capital spending fell $93 million short of its authorized budget between 1997 and 2000. PG&E also spent millions less on operations and maintenance than it was supposed to.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/18/business/pge-california-wildfires.html

The main thrust of this article isn't really news to us I think, but it has some examples that I didn't know

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder if this thing is worth attending, seeing as it's a ten-minute bike ride from my house:

https://californiaprogressivealliance.org/2019-founding-convention/

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

CPColin posted:

I wonder if this thing is worth attending, seeing as it's a ten-minute bike ride from my house:

https://californiaprogressivealliance.org/2019-founding-convention/

Been hearing buzz about this from my local DSA electoral working group (we have some good connections to progressive groups), and also just got to hear Valentin Lopez speak about Juristac and the Amah Mutsun on Sunday. I would say it's worth it.

edit: Also, from what I heard of McLaughlin's coalition-building efforts in Richmond, this may have some promise.

Mitsuo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 28, 2019

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'll be at that convention. I hear around 250 other people will.

My prediction is that, like every other progressive California gathering of that size, it's going to be a fight, and not all of the news from it will be good.

E: I'm still excited to go because that is the specific kind of sicko I am, and I encourage similar sickos to drop by and unite to seek power.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 28, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I ended up not getting a ticket, but I did become a dues-paying member so I can read all the PDF's and vote on poo poo tomorrow!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got the email with the voting link and it mentions this:

quote:

Please know that there have been amendments made at the convention today but unfortunately those amendments are not available online for those of you not in attendance. Maybe next year!

Great. Thanks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1112898460297121794?s=21
Our senior senator is still shocking me with new ways to be completely awful.:barf:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1112898460297121794?s=21
Our senior senator is still shocking me with new ways to be completely awful.:barf:

Well, she's right. It isn't remotely sexy.

And I do find it impressive how, when I think she can't get any worse, she goes and finds some new awful depth to plunge. Really looking forward to her finally keeling over so we can drag her withered husk out of the senate seat.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
California Politics Thread: Worse than no rain is rain on the weekend you thought it was finally safe to reserve a campsite :mad:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CPColin posted:

I ended up not getting a ticket, but I did become a dues-paying member so I can read all the PDF's and vote on poo poo tomorrow!

Sorry this didn't work out. To be honest I'm cancelling my membership until the steering committee commits to anti-racism and anti-harrasment training for leadership and members. There was a great off-program break-out session on the broader subject, and a bunch of people shared a bunch of hosed up poo poo they had to deal with. Also my friend's abusers seem to still be in Our Revolution East Bay leadership, and defended by folks in the Richmond Progressive Alliance and even some DSA chapters.

But I met a bunch of really nice people too, including DSA SLO. I'd recommend talking to them, if you're looking for progressive organizations to join.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

CPColin posted:

California Politics Thread: Worse than no rain is rain on the weekend you thought it was finally safe to reserve a campsite :mad:

:owned:

I went backpacking in Butano State Park a few weeks ago between the storms and it was good.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

As many of you may know by now, the recent serious mishandling of a grievance by the Steering Committee of DSA-LA has significantly disrupted the ongoing work and functioning of the chapter. The Steering Committee's mishandling of this grievance caused great harm, induced understandable anger among the chapter’s membership, and significantly eroded the trust of membership in the remaining members of the Steering Committee.

Over the past week, four of the nine members elected to the Steering Committee in November 2018 have resigned. According to DSA-LA’s bylaws, vacancies on the Steering Committee that arise within six months of the term are to be filled by a member in good standing according to the results of the previous election. There were two current members in good standing who ran in the November 2018 election and failed to capture a seat on the Steering Committee. One of those members is Jack Suria-Linares, who recently agreed to fill one of the four current vacancies, and is now currently a member of the Steering Committee. The other member who failed to capture a seat in the November 2018 election opted not to fill a vacancy.

To attempt to move the chapter beyond this difficult period, the five members of the Steering Committee elected in November 2018 have agreed to collectively resign and commence an election of a new Steering Committee, as soon as possible. The newest member of the Steering Committee—Jack Suria-Linares—will also resign, to be replaced by a newly elected member.

To begin the process for a new Steering Committee election, we are opening a call for a Nominations Committee to oversee the election for Local Officers. The Nominations Committee will decide on the nominations process for candidates, the timeline for the election, and the voting protocol. Starting today, anyone can nominate themselves for the Nominations Committee, which shall consist of three members. In the interest of electing a new Steering Committee as soon as possible, the nomination period for the Nominations Committee will run from April 9 (today) to 11:59 p.m. on April 10. If you are interested in being on the Nominations Committee click here to submit your candidacy.

At the end of the two-day nominations period, the statements of those interested in serving on the Nominations Committee will be put on the chapter website and circulated to membership in a chapter-wide email with a call for members to vote. Voting will close at 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 12, and the Nominations Committee will be announced the following morning. In the meantime, we ask that committed members seriously consider running for these important roles — both on the Nominations Committee and the Steering Committee — as we begin to restore trust in our chapter.

Finally, given both the impending resignations of the current members of the Steering Committee and the imminent election, we feel it would be inappropriate for the current members of the Steering Committee to take the lead in administering the highest legislative body of the Local — the chapter’s Annual Convention. We feel it is imperative that this important event not be led by members of a leadership body that will soon be resigning.

The current Steering Committee has thus voted to postpone the Annual Convention, which was initially planned for this coming Sunday, April 14, to a future date to be determined by the next Steering Committee.

The five members of the Steering Committee elected in November 2018 would like to apologize profusely to all members — as well as to the chapter and the national organization more broadly — for these abrupt changes and postponement, and, especially, for our serious mishandling of the recent grievance. We hope that by stepping down and deferring this important event to the next set of chapter leaders we are able to initiate the process of restoring trust in the chapter’s leadership and in the chapter as a whole.

Solidarity forever.

DSA-LA
http://www.dsa-la.org/

:yikes:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
what was said grievance? Was it upthread and I missed it?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nope. I have no idea either.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Hadn't heard about this, but if you google "Nathan Fisher DSA" you can find some context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

what was said grievance? Was it upthread and I missed it?

i guess it's this:

https://twitter.com/TiffanyKatz/status/1113102342339981313