Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Astro7x posted:

Is there an ideal streaming device for the best possible performance for apps for cord cutting?

In my experience... I've just used Roku devices. I have a Roku Ultra, a Roku 2, and a TCL 2018 6 Series with the Roku OS built in. I also have a LG OLED TV, which has pretty decent apps. I'd say the Roku Premiere is the best in terms of speed and responsiveness, followed closely by the LG OLED built in apps. Then a tie for the Roku 2/TLC Roku OS. And then a bunch of other stuff which I think is crap, like my Sony Bluray Player's interface.

But is there is any other device that offers performance better than the Roku Ultra in terms of speed/responsiveness?

The newest Apple TV, or Nvidia Shield might beat out the Ultra in terms of speed. That's about it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use my Apple TV the most, but I'm already pretty deep in the ecosystem (use iTunes Match etc for music). The Plex app is by far my most favorite implementation which goes a long way. I like the Comcast App on my Roku, and hope that goes across at some point, but given they've not even signed up for Single Sign In yet... bleh, could be a long wait.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use my Apple TV the most, but I'm already pretty deep in the ecosystem (use iTunes Match etc for music). The Plex app is by far my most favorite implementation which goes a long way. I like the Comcast App on my Roku, and hope that goes across at some point, but given they've not even signed up for Single Sign In yet... bleh, could be a long wait.

Re: comcast. I use a HD HomeRun PRIME. It uses a Cable Card which removes any box “rental” fees from my account and has 3 streams so I can have multiple clients connected (super nice for College Football). As a bonus PLEX will DVR with no problem off the feed from the HD HomerRun PRIME.

Before I got the killer deal from Comcast (Internet + Cable ended up about $40 cheaper than PS Vue + Internet), I was definitely a PS Vue customer. The UI, streaming quality and picture seemed far superior than DirectTV. I can’t talk much about YouTubeTV and HuluTV. I tried both of them, but it was mostly streaming issues with YouTubeTV and Sling and the UI for Hulu drove me mad.

This is all on the Apple TV 4 (non 4K version). I had a ShieldTV Pro, but it ran PLEX server like rear end (I know have it running off a Synology 916+) and I’m pretty sure DirectTV still doesn’t have a client for it. The Shield is good, but personally I think AppleTV has the edge. The PS4 has the best Vue experience but it’s VERY limited for other uses.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A surprise aspect of the DTVN price increases -- HBO on the old plans is now $15/month and the other premiums are $11. You're grandfathered into the $5 price if you had a premium at that price already. But if you're on an old plan and want to add a premium, have fun.

I'll probably keep DTVN for the near term with the grandfathered Go Big deal but the new plans are terribad.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Here's a TVFool. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d90388850823bcc

This antenna doesn't get PBS when it's on a North facing window next to the TV (no other window option) https://smile.amazon.com/Latest-Amplified-Digital-Antenna-65-80/dp/B07FVLXHYV/

Have a recommendation for another? Think this would? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-indoor-hdtv-antenna-black/8233003.p?skuId=8233003

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Holy poo poo the new plans lose so many channels. Most I don't give a poo poo about but all the viacoms, nba tv NFL network, mlb network, C-SPAN!!

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dynamic-gobig.html

They 100% want DTVN to fail.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

Here's a TVFool. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d90388850823bcc

This antenna doesn't get PBS when it's on a North facing window next to the TV (no other window option) https://smile.amazon.com/Latest-Amplified-Digital-Antenna-65-80/dp/B07FVLXHYV/

Have a recommendation for another? Think this would? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-indoor-hdtv-antenna-black/8233003.p?skuId=8233003

I had to look at your past history in this thread to be reminded if you were who I thought you were.

But have you tried putting it elsewhere, and pointing it directly at the signal? All your signals are at about the same direction, and you don't really have to point out a window if your building isn't made of of concrete or a Faraday cage. There is also a weather factor, sometimes the weather is just going to interfere with your signals.

Bookshelves in a different room (yes, you may have to buy a coax cable), are good for this.

Alternatively, because you're renting, you may just be SOL on some signals. The amplifier could be a problem too, they amplify the signal you receive, problems and all. On the other hand, in the past I've run a coax from one room to another and had good luck with an amplifier at the antenna and one at the TV.

Seriously, do some experimentation on where your positioning and angling your antenna. I thought I was never going to get the local CBS where I am now, but I moved the antenna to the other side of the room and now I get it (weakly).

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I had to look at your past history in this thread to be reminded if you were who I thought you were.

But have you tried putting it elsewhere, and pointing it directly at the signal? All your signals are at about the same direction, and you don't really have to point out a window if your building isn't made of of concrete or a Faraday cage. There is also a weather factor, sometimes the weather is just going to interfere with your signals.

Bookshelves in a different room (yes, you may have to buy a coax cable), are good for this.

Alternatively, because you're renting, you may just be SOL on some signals. The amplifier could be a problem too, they amplify the signal you receive, problems and all. On the other hand, in the past I've run a coax from one room to another and had good luck with an amplifier at the antenna and one at the TV.

Seriously, do some experimentation on where your positioning and angling your antenna. I thought I was never going to get the local CBS where I am now, but I moved the antenna to the other side of the room and now I get it (weakly).

Thanks for all the investigating, but sorry, this is now for my dad. He always wants to try the things I try after I do them.

I can see if he can put the thin antenna somewhere else. The north window is actually right in the corner of the room so it's kind of 5-10 degrees towards the NW actually if that makes sense. He's just willing to try that cheap rabbit ears one since that's the one I got myself. Maybe it won't change anything and it's just the location.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

Holy poo poo the new plans lose so many channels. Most I don't give a poo poo about but all the viacoms, nba tv NFL network, mlb network, C-SPAN!!

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/gmott/html/dynamic_channels/compare-packages-account-dynamic-gobig.html

They 100% want DTVN to fail.

Their intent has become pretty clear with them offering the classic DTV plans in streaming form, at the same price as satellite (without any of the promo pricing you'd usually get if you did a 2 year contract on a classic DTV plan).

Seems like ultimately DTVN was a way for them to test (at scale) a platform to sell their traditional TV plans without having to continue to shoot poo poo into outer space, or to send someone out to every new customer's house to nail poo poo to their roof. The DTVN "osprey" streaming box is an Android TV box with a standard cable box-style UI shoehorned into it, complete with channel numbers and all the stuff that the olds expect from a satellite receiver.

Maybe it didn't start this way, but they definitely have gotten greedy at this point.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sort of related to this thread, but what’s up with Hulu's pricing? A week or so ago I got an email saying the base service is going down to $6 and now I get one saying that Spotify Premium now includes Hulu for no extra cost. Is it just that they make more money playing ads than anything else?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for all the investigating, but sorry, this is now for my dad. He always wants to try the things I try after I do them.

I can see if he can put the thin antenna somewhere else. The north window is actually right in the corner of the room so it's kind of 5-10 degrees towards the NW actually if that makes sense. He's just willing to try that cheap rabbit ears one since that's the one I got myself. Maybe it won't change anything and it's just the location.

Rabbit ears aren't bad, they're just typically used inefficiently. The best reception from rabbit ears are to splay them out as long from ear to ear as possible in a straight line, and position them perpendicular to the signal. Of course the best way to use them is really not the greatest way for most people, which is why they're used.

Also make sure that the antenna is as far away from electronics as possible. Always position the antenna away from those things, this includes things that use a motor, like a dishwasher or washer/dryer.

Does he own his home? Because if he owns the place he should set up an outdoor antenna or an attic antenna.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sort of related to this thread, but what’s up with Hulu's pricing? A week or so ago I got an email saying the base service is going down to $6 and now I get one saying that Spotify Premium now includes Hulu for no extra cost. Is it just that they make more money playing ads than anything else?

Probably, yeah. They did a promo a month or two ago where you get Hulu for $1 a month for the next year.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Basically. Personally I abhor ads so I pay the $11.99 tier. I could have gamed the system and got the $1/month Hulu for a year but seriously, gently caress ads.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I half-expect base Hulu to just be free and have the ads ratcheted up by the time my $1/month year ends.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Rabbit ears aren't bad, they're just typically used inefficiently. The best reception from rabbit ears are to splay them out as long from ear to ear as possible in a straight line, and position them perpendicular to the signal. Of course the best way to use them is really not the greatest way for most people, which is why they're used.

Also make sure that the antenna is as far away from electronics as possible. Always position the antenna away from those things, this includes things that use a motor, like a dishwasher or washer/dryer.

Does he own his home? Because if he owns the place he should set up an outdoor antenna or an attic antenna.

Yes they own, just moved in fact so that's why he's overhauling and cut the cord.

I'll see what I can figure out for him.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh DirectTVNow is completely dropping Cooking Channel and HGTV from all their linesups, 2 of the only 3 channels my wife watches. I'm totally gone now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Oh DirectTVNow is completely dropping Cooking Channel and HGTV from all their linesups, 2 of the only 3 channels my wife watches. I'm totally gone now.

You can keep your existing plan, but you should definitely shop around because of the price going up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FCKGW posted:

Philo then?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Man, if only Philo had one station worth watching for that price. It's just TV to have on in the background with that channel list, no channels with must see shows for me. My wife watched Walking Dead still I guess, but it would be cheaper to just get AMC Premiere for $5.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maybe. I'm just going to wait to see what Apple comes out with at the end of the month until I make any decisions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Astro7x posted:

but it would be cheaper to just get AMC Premiere for $5.

No it wouldn't because you can't do that. You can only pay the extra $5 for AMC Premiere if you already subscribe to AMC through your cable provider.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

FCKGW posted:

Maybe. I'm just going to wait to see what Apple comes out with at the end of the month until I make any decisions.

It likely wouldn't launch until the end of the year. It's not like any of these streaming services have a contract

bull3964 posted:

No it wouldn't because you can't do that. You can only pay the extra $5 for AMC Premiere if you already subscribe to AMC through your cable provider.

What? That's bullshit. Then I can literally buy the episodes for $2.68 each on Amazon and still come out cheaper than Philo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looked up the $16 philo list out of curiosity, and the fact it gets TVLand (presumably in HD), Viceland, and FYI and my Comcast subscription doesn’t is pretty funny.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Philo + youtubetv is the pro move these days.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Philo + youtubetv is the pro move these days.

The cord-cutting olds in my family are super thrilled with the $5.99 Hulu plan - it has most broadcast shows (except CBS) on-demand the next day, but cable shows are usually a few seasons behind

But for the guy talking about HGTV and Food Network, if your wife can deal with the first 20+ seasons of House Hunters or whatever or whatever instead of the most recent, Hulu has a shitload of on-demand content for both of those networks

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
What a hellscape.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Todd VanDerWerff at Vox has an article out today about the future of cord cutting/streaming TV

His prediction is the industry is returning to cable bundles but the bundles don't come from the cable company.

The major studios and their corporate owners will all have their own streaming networks you can subscribe to. Then you'll have a bunch of additional options (no ads, niche extras) on top of the base subscription.

I'm sure we'll see a ton of this with the Disney+ service coming later this year. A base price of $15/month for the service which provides original content and recent theatrical released. No ads will be $25/month. If you want access to the Disney+ Vault, that'll be another $15/month. Got little kids? It'll be $10/month for Disney Junior access. All things Marvel? That'll be another $5/month. Older Star Wars films and media are $10/month.

It's a rightly awful future for consumers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FCKGW posted:

Probably, yeah. They did a promo a month or two ago where you get Hulu for $1 a month for the next year.

Hulu is included free with a few Sprint plans too, with no real option to upgrade to the ad free plan discounted.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thwomp posted:

Todd VanDerWerff at Vox has an article out today about the future of cord cutting/streaming TV

His prediction is the industry is returning to cable bundles but the bundles don't come from the cable company.

The major studios and their corporate owners will all have their own streaming networks you can subscribe to. Then you'll have a bunch of additional options (no ads, niche extras) on top of the base subscription.

I'm sure we'll see a ton of this with the Disney+ service coming later this year. A base price of $15/month for the service which provides original content and recent theatrical released. No ads will be $25/month. If you want access to the Disney+ Vault, that'll be another $15/month. Got little kids? It'll be $10/month for Disney Junior access. All things Marvel? That'll be another $5/month. Older Star Wars films and media are $10/month.

And then they’ll turn right back to piracy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Medullah posted:

Hulu is included free with a few Sprint plans too, with no real option to upgrade to the ad free plan discounted.

Spotify just rolled this out for anyone with Premium. It's nice I guess, but it sucks that you don't have a way to go ad free. I didn't even know Hulu had moved away from a free tier of service.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thwomp posted:

I have Netflix and Amazon prime subscriptions, as well as the $1/month Hulu promotion. Beyond that, I've been spamming free trials of the various services, as needed (sporting events, full seasons on demand, etc.).

Tbh, I watch more Pluto TV than anything else for background noise and filling the MST3K craving. I just can't bring myself to pay ~$40 a month for only a tiny handful of channels I actually watch. The current model for live TV cord cutting really sucks.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Is it though?

As of a year or two ago, the traditional cable package (220+ channels) costs anywhere from $40-$60/m depending on how it's bundled. $50/m will pay for subscriptions to the mid-tier plans of Netflix ($13), Hulu ($12), Disney+ (maybe $15), and probably most of a Prime subscription ($10). For that money, you get way more and way better content than those mostly poo poo 200+ channels had (unless you're talking live sports, RIP. )

Most people just long for the glory days of Netflix, when they were the only game in town. Of course the studios/content owners weren't going to let that slide, but it's forced Netflix/Prime/others to create their own content, some of which is drat good (certainly better than typical broadcast/basic cable stuff.) It's also nice that the competition and volume of content means you can drop services when they go to crap or temporarily resubscribe to binge watch the decent content when they add some stuff worth watching.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Warbird posted:

Spotify just rolled this out for anyone with Premium. It's nice I guess, but it sucks that you don't have a way to go ad free. I didn't even know Hulu had moved away from a free tier of service.

Apparently not for family plans though! Curse you Hulu!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thwomp posted:

Disagree, this is exactly what I've been wanting.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 15, 2019

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I guess it depends on what we've all been looking for since we abandoned cable.

There was a dream held by many to just get channels à la carte.

That dream never came to fruition unless your selection of wanted channels just happened to coincide with a skinny bundle from SlingTV or DTVN. And even then, you were still paying for channels you didn't watch.

So if all you wanted was the ability to watch Disney-owned content or Warner-owned content, the future is bright!

But if you wanted the ability to say "I want local stations plus Food Network and maybe E! and one or two others and nothing else", then the dream continues.

B-Nasty posted:

Most people just long for the glory days of Netflix, when they were the only game in town.

This might be part of it. This brought us close to perhaps to something even more unrealistic - choosing your programs in an à la carte bundle. (Which yes, you sorta can do technically with a season pass in iTunes or Amazon but that's not in the spirit of the idea).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 15, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I guess it depends on what we've all been looking for since we abandoned cable.

There was a dream held by many to just get channels à la carte.

That dream never came to fruition unless your selection of wanted channels just happened to coincide with a skinny bundle from SlingTV or DTVN. And even then, you were still paying for channels you didn't watch.

So if all you wanted was the ability to watch Disney-owned content or Warner-owned content, the future is bright!

But if you wanted the ability to say "I want local stations plus Food Network and maybe E! and one or two others and nothing else", then the dream continues.

Not E! but an Amazon Fire TV Recast + Philo = "local stations plus Food Network, DIY, HGTV, MTV, and Comedy Central", all with DVR, all for $16/month

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Now if you want E! and Bravo then that's a different story. If you want sports packages you're hosed

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thwomp posted:

What I want is the ability to pay to watch a specific thing, preferably without ads if possible, when I want to watch it.

I want to watch "No Activity" Season 2 and Star Trek Discovery Season 2. I am not ready to watch those things yet because I'm watching something else right now and the Discovery season isn't done yet. So, I don't have a sub to All Access. When I sit down to watch them, I'll pay my $10 and watch them in a month and then turn off the sub.

So, I keep a service as long as I need to until I run out of stuff to watch and then I turn it off and do something else. If that service is using all my watching time, then I don't need a bunch of other services at the same time.

It's not all that complicated. TV watching is different now. People sit down and watch specific things until they are done and move on to something else. They don't just tune into a station and watch whatever is on.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm getting DTVN for $25/mo with free HBO because of our phones being unlimited plan. I wonder if that is going away now? I can't find anything that says differently. They ended the program for new subscribers in November but said current subscribers could keep the discount as long as they had both DTVN and the appropriate phone plan.

This trial of YouTube TV seems great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I forgot that HDHomerun happens to have a subscription TV service too. Does anyone here happened to use it?
https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

Apparently they're reselling a whitebox provider who is currently being sued for copyright infringement so uh, I think I'll stay away for now
https://www.cordcutters.com/hollywood-v-ominverse-one-world-television-inc-what-you-need-know

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 16, 2019