Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
When you're read too much isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That's not nearly enough tropes.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
There are too many things that fit free space.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yes, and yes.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
This might be the wrong thread to ask but whats the sword dad manga people talk about? What is the premise?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Artificer posted:

This might be the wrong thread to ask but whats the sword dad manga people talk about? What is the premise?

https://mangadex.org/title/20338/tensei-shitara-ken-deshita

Guy reincarnates as a sword, and teams up with a cat girl slave.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she is violently emancipated from slavery when they first meet. this is a very important distinction from most isekai.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she is violently emancipated from slavery when they first meet. this is a very important distinction from most isekai.

Yeah, she's a slave for all of 28 pages in the first chapter and then we're done with that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah now she's an eternally grateful dependent to a paternalistic voice in a sword who she calls master.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

RatHat posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/20338/tensei-shitara-ken-deshita

Guy reincarnates as a sword, and teams up with a cat girl slave.

What's appealing about it? Curious if I should pick it up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's decent for isekai but has skeevy moments still. Fran is a fun character and sword dad takes care of her

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Yeah now she's an eternally grateful dependent to a paternalistic voice in a sword who she calls master.
Come on now, it's clearly in a teacher way since he's training her.

Also the recent chapters have her grousing about how she's dramatically weaker when not wielding sword dad so I think it's going to focus on her growing stronger for a bit. Right now it looks to be the casual adventures of sword dad, :geno: catgirl, and the goodest boy of darkness

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Darkness is surprisingly... fluffy.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I really like it because it's Fran's (the cat girl) story, not the sword's even though he's the PoV character. :words: incoming, because apparently I want to say more than I thought I did.

Fran is one of the Black Cat Tribe, which is considered the weakest of all beast tribes because they can't evolve into a stronger version. For some reason (there is one, though it's spoilers) the previous Beast King gave up on the Black Cat Tribe and gave the Blue Cat Tribe permission to capture them and sell them into slavery*. (There are other beast tribes; rhinos, dogs, rabbits and bulls come to mind but I'm sure I'm forgetting others.)

Years after this decision, Fran and her parents are traveling adventurers, trying to find out either how they can evolve or why they can't. During this trip Fran's parents are killed and shortly after deciding to carry on their dream Fran is captured by the Blue Cat Tribe and sold into slavery.

Fran then finds a sword that can talk to her and with his help she fights off a monster. The sword begs her to not return him to the ground he's been stuck in for months, after which her (notably illegal) slave trader gets brutally murdered, freeing her. With the help of her new sword and friend (She gives him the name Master, yes, but it's in the martial arts teacher sense. The two of them are absolutely partners, not master and slave.), Fran decides to continue her and her parents' goal of learning how to evolve.

Another thing I really like is that despite having two very powerful MCs, an important theme to the series is that there's always someone stronger than you. Right now in the manga that someone has mostly been Fran, but that's been changing and about to change even more. There are a number of fights where Fran barely survives to escape, let alone win.

Finally, even though the story is Fran's, there's a whole interesting world out there. The manga has touched on it with the introduction of the gods, but there's things happening out there. Speaking of the gods, they're largely neutral, with the Goddess of Chaos (she's neutral, despite the normal connotations that come with Chaos, which is nice) being the driving force behind the majority of monsters and dungeons, forcing away stagnation, and the God of War being the evil one that was defeated and shattered into pieces. His followers are responsible for the monsters not under Chaos, and they're more nasty than their counterparts. There's also the mystery of the sword. Why is he able to do what he does? Who, or what, made him? There's things happening, and history in the past, that make it feel like a Story set in a World, and not a playground for a manchild to live his fantasies in.

Regarding the * above, the series does have a couple problematic issues. (Black Cat Tribe being sold into slavery is bad. There's the usual bathing house chapter you shouldn't read at work, but it has world building to go with the unnecessary fan service. There's also some trans/homophobia + pedophilia + BDSM shaming all wrapped up in one disgusting, non-antagonist character that shows up in what is otherwise one of my favorite series of story arcs in W/LN I've read.) I like it despite them because everything else is really good, but while I think it's unfortunate, it's fair if you don't want to look past them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Odd. I always thought Captain Invictus was one of its biggest proponents. Either way I picked it up and really loved it. Can confirm it has skeevy bits but the important bit is that the relationship between sword and catgirl is wholesome.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm a proponent of the manga, I've been told the LN/WN as detailed above has some hosed up poo poo that I hope doesn't get brought over to the manga version, similar to how entire characters were excised from the dragon maid anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy loving poo poo lol, the latest chapter of Bard Loen serves up some insanely well-deserved just deserts, and I wager the next one even moreso. Maybe at his hands. Maybe at the hands of the king, we shall see.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

holy loving poo poo lol, the latest chapter of Bard Loen serves up some insanely well-deserved just deserts, and I wager the next one even moreso. Maybe at his hands. Maybe at the hands of the king, we shall see.

Going to need a re-read to make sense of this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sure, series is good and worth rereading anyways tbh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, I've started in on Heterogenous Linguistics on my to-read list and it is loving fascinating. Just a really unique look at some fantasy races, especially the slimes, wow. The whole No concept of self, but they absorb memories of other slimes they combine with and become one entity with one memory is really, really cool. I'm about five chapters in, he's left on a journey with the lizardmen (and wolfgirl sidekick). This and dungeon meshi are exemplary types of fantasy series, for sure. I'm finding myself less attracted to fantasy stuff with a heavy focus on battles/fighting, and more stuff dealing with the mechanisms or politics of the fantasy world itself.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, I've started in on Heterogenous Linguistics on my to-read list and it is loving fascinating. Just a really unique look at some fantasy races, especially the slimes, wow. The whole No concept of self, but they absorb memories of other slimes they combine with and become one entity with one memory is really, really cool. I'm about five chapters in, he's left on a journey with the lizardmen (and wolfgirl sidekick). This and dungeon meshi are exemplary types of fantasy series, for sure. I'm finding myself less attracted to fantasy stuff with a heavy focus on battles/fighting, and more stuff dealing with the mechanisms or politics of the fantasy world itself.

It's really good, though I wish the dude were better at learning the languages so he could talk more with cool monster people.

Also I kind of love how the thing spends absolutely no time at all on the fact that his mentor married and had a kid with a wolf furry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, I've caught up. Heterogenous Linguistics is loving fantastic, and as always, there's way too few chapters available, but what's there is very...filling? Like each chapter despite not necessarily having lots of dialogue a lot of the time felt very satisfying, like a hearty meal. I love all the aspects of fantasy races that it plays around with, again, especially slimes, and then in connection to that, dragons and cannibalism. What a charming, warm series. Mou and the reveal about them too is great.

I really hope it gets licensed soon. The very first thing I did upon catching up was go to order the first volume, but it hasn't even been picked up yet :(

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It helps that even without extensive knowledge of the individual races we meet, it really does feel like there is a lot of culture to some of them based purely on their languages, and some small snippets of their lives.

Stravaganza has also resumed translations, there is only one volume left and The war is shockingly brutal. from what I remembered and the sheer number of named characters that die, mostly Vivian's own entourage caught me off guard. It's a shame her idealism couldn't do anything here, an opponent that only delights in slaughter can't be reasoned with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, stravaganza is wrapping up, the translator is churning the chapters out, here's another one.

Holy loving poo poo, king taruvo with the most badass bowling throw in history???

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a particularly tranquil and melancholy chapter of Bard Loen.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I’m curious where this manga is going. I am very down for the story of adventurer grandpa enjoying the finer things in life, while occasionally being underestimated and kicking rear end, and I hope it continues since it has been high quality.

But I could also see it ending since most of the current plot has been resolved and I think the only thing hanging is the mercenary’s plot? The next chapter is the last of the volume and the title is Bard’s horse’s name :ohdear:

E: also in the middle aged dad adventurer genre: My Daughter is a S-rank Adventurer updated and it good: https://mangadex.org/title/26504/boukensha-ni-naritai-to-miyako-ni-deteitta-musume-ga-s-rank-ni-natteta

Fellis fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 6, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was pretty wary that something terrible was about to happen right before the reunion as fantasy series are wont to do when they build up a loved one reunion like this one does, so I'm really glad it dodges that trope pitfall with ease :3:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I felt the same every single page up to the last few where they hug. :kimchi:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, stravaganza is wrapping up, the translator is churning the chapters out, here's another one.

Holy loving poo poo, king taruvo with the most badass bowling throw in history???

What happened to chapter 6 - 27?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
iirc it was by some translation group that had drama with mangadex and yanked all the chapters of everything they had translated off the site

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Part Time Otherworlder is not a good isekai. It's trying to sell out on a sold-out genre. A 20-something stuck working part-time jobs keeps randomly getting isekai'd for a few minutes at a time and a lot of confusion ensues. It's kind of boring... unless you treat it like the protagonist has developed an adult-onset mental disorder. It would explain how he can't get a full-time job. I'm just saying.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Handyman Saito also updated, charm spells can be very effective but not always necessary.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Heterogenous Linguistics! I couldn't click the chapter link fast enough, and I was not disappointed!

GRYPHON RIDERRRRRRRRRR

isn't as glamorous as it sounds

edit:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 20, 2019

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bard Loen chapter 16

Stablos...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
A sad chapter :(

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That sword is definitely sacred and enchanted

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New retired heroes! I am always a sucker for the "smug guy gets introduced and thinks he's at the tip of the tier list and over the course of the chapter/episode gets gradually broken down to the very bottom" gag

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

New retired heroes! I am always a sucker for the "smug guy gets introduced and thinks he's at the tip of the tier list and over the course of the chapter/episode gets gradually broken down to the very bottom" gag
Sometimes you have to force a bloke to learn where he sits on the pecking order. I'll be honest, the way he was acting at first even the dog was above him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aaaaand Stravaganza is completed.

I really liked this epilogue chapter. The series had some shaky parts but overall was a really great adventure, a lot of the characters were fantastic, and Olavie loving ruled both as a character and in fights. Just straight up having car-sized meat tenderizer fist weapons since she's 50 feet tall was badass as hell. I really liked the various designs of fantasy races, are Klords based on anything in particular? They've got a...few bad choices in their designs, and boy taken out of context the indiscriminate rage poison thing that the big bad caused in all the races looks particularly bad with them, but their whole society of people with tails and having an almost entirely vertical city was cool as hell.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Keep in mind there is one volume left, although it's side stories from what I've seen that take place after this. The story does have a dip although for me it was far early when Clara was just chasing around some pervert for chapters on end. Pointless torture aside the rest of the series was overall good, and given the drought of fantasy series that aren't also isekai that's a god send.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mangadex thinks tomi akihito (stravaganza) and yoshitomi akihito (eat-man) are the same person. the former would die if they didn't draw incredibly sexy people and the latter's art is merely adequate, so there's no particular resemblance. what else has tomi done, aside from reiroukan and stravaganza?