Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah.

I hate to say it but Run, Hide, Fight videos/training and Stop the Bleed courses need to be taught to everyone nowadays just like basic CPR/first aid is offered in high school and college. Even given how rare these attacks are (whether they're mass shootings, and/or bombings, and/or terror attacks), it gives people way more of a chance than they would have without the training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Police Chief just said they have 4 people in custody, aren't ruling out others but no info as yet.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm sure the Trump administration will now direct the FBI and Homeland Security to step up infiltration of and surveillance on white supremacist organizations in our counhahahahahahahahaha

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah.

I hate to say it but Run, Hide, Fight videos/training and Stop the Bleed courses need to be taught to everyone nowadays just like basic CPR/first aid is offered in high school and college. Even given how rare these attacks are (whether they're mass shootings, and/or bombings, and/or terror attacks), it gives people way more of a chance than they would have without the training.

Yeah, I watched the video and it looked like a lot of people just bottled up in a corner and waited to die. It's horrifying that we even need to have these conversations, but we definitely need to teach people to survive these attacks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I watched the video and it looked like a lot of people just bottled up in a corner and waited to die. It's horrifying that we even need to have these conversations, but we definitely need to teach people to survive these attacks.

Hey dude maybe you could wait until the bodies are cold before giving your two cents on what a country where a single shooting is headline news should be doing? Maybe you could not sneer at people frozen in terror?

Actually nah just gently caress off

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Hey dude maybe you could wait until the bodies are cold before giving your two cents on what a country where a single shooting is headline news should be doing? Maybe you could not sneer at people frozen in terror?

he isn't mocking them dude he's saying that mass shootings are solidly part of our culture now and people need to have a basic idea of how to respond

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

I'm sorry this is so fresh and new to you. It's a shame that something that is commonplace in my country has come to yours, and I hope this is an isolated incident and not something that does become a weekly headline. We all grieve in different ways, but this wound won't scab over if you keep reopening it by staying in this current events thread.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Having to teach how to survive a mass shooting is a depressing reality of our hate filled world.

Channers shooting up places taking the time to make meme jokes is another one.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I don't even know what to say other than "what the gently caress."

This applies to a lot going on in this thread.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe the government there will confiscate every gun in the country for a start.

Because I'm sad right now and there is never enough action taken.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Why was a dude probated for commenting on current events in the current events thread? Kinda dumb tbh.

Guess we have to follow the gun rights activists and only offer our thoughts and prayers while shouting down anyone that dare discuss the event within a nebulous time period!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This Pewdiepie bullshit was loving stupid before they started killing people. The future is loving garbage.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I dunno wtf you could teach them to survive when some gently caress just walks into a room and starts shooting people in the back, but I don't live in a place where this is a weekly occurrence either :shrug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GoGoGadget posted:

Guess we have to follow the gun rights activists and only offer our thoughts and prayers while shouting down anyone that dare discuss the event within a nebulous time period!

This kind of sentence right here

gently caress you and your smug loving face for using it. I'm saying this outside of the context of the topic here.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I’m reading the one guys Manifesto, and it’s definitely the work of a mentally ill far right nut job. It’s not worth posting a link to because it’s really more a screed than a manifesto.

I think we’re at a point where Ya’llqaeda needs as much scrutiny and action as say... Radicalized Islam. NZ is a five eyes country and we can probably help with rooting out these fucks from their holes before they shoot up a mosque, or a school, or a concert or whatever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GoGoGadget posted:

Why was a dude probated for commenting on current events in the current events thread? Kinda dumb tbh.

the gently caress, this is your first post in this thread?

well let me welcome you by saying go gently caress yourself

Chichevache posted:

I'm sorry this is so fresh and new to you. It's a shame that something that is commonplace in my country has come to yours, and I hope this is an isolated incident and not something that does become a weekly headline. We all grieve in different ways, but this wound won't scab over if you keep reopening it by staying in this current events thread.

hey cool dude just so you know this open wound IS AN ACTIVE loving EVENT THAT IS STILL OCCURRING
so far as i know the schools are still in lockdown
i've heard from my friends and family down there now so I know they're safe but gently caress right off with your smug 'oh i'm so sorry for your loss thoughts and prayers'
or don't, in which case i'm booking myself a flight to the states so i can kick EBB off his computer and use his account to ban your dumb rear end

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I think we’re at a point where Ya’llqaeda needs as much scrutiny and action as say... Radicalized Islam. NZ is a five eyes country and we can probably help with rooting out these fucks from their holes before they shoot up a mosque, or a school, or a concert or whatever.

We're years past that point.

If we put even half as much effort into countering far right poo poo as we did radical Islam, gently caress.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

redneck nazgul posted:

We're years past that point.

If we put even half as much effort into countering far right poo poo as we did radical Islam, gently caress.

This is a huge problem, and has been for years and it wasn't just a problem starting in the Trump administration. Even during the Obama administration, when right wing and white supremacist hate groups surged in membership and numbers, the focus of FBI and Homeland Security was largely on violent Islamic extremism and home grown terrorists inspired by Islamic extremists. I think (and I could very well be wrong here) part of it was a concern that if they went too hard against right wing extremists, they could potentially create another situation like Ruby Ridge, or Waco, that would only further grow those types of groups, and spark regulatory attacks. I think another part of it was that the Obama administration greatly feared a terrorist attack occurring, particularly because he was always criticized for being a secret Muslim Kenyan who was soft on terrorists, even though he greatly expanded drone strikes, and greatly expanded the use of JSOC all over the world in the fight against Al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other terrorist groups. And even though his decisions arguably increased national security rather than hosed it up for decades like Bush did.

Now that Trump is in charge, we are going to be looking into right wing extremist groups even less. Worse, the dog whistles have turned into fog horns that sound like the Inception music, and this orange buffoon actively courts them.

It's a really funked up situation, and I really wish I knew what was going on in the FBI with the fight against right wing hate groups. Their attacks are only increasing in severity. And they are rising as a threat, globally.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 15, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Here's my hot take on that: Obama should have dropped a JDAM an those guys that took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Police conducted a controlled det at Auckland's largest train station.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12213163

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Here's my hot take on that: Obama should have dropped a JDAM an those guys that took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge.

"Please send JTACs."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

GoGoGadget posted:

Eat, and I cannot emphasize this enough, the entirety of my rear end in a top hat.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

In other news, Kentucky banned abortions after six weeks and abortions due to fetal diagnosis.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This cat posted on pol, his manifesto and social media are full of the usual alt-right talking points, memes, and propaganda. While he streamed himself murdering people he even told people to subscribe to Pewdiepie. Just the natural end point of the alt-right indoctrination pipeline.
"Globlism! Soros! White Genocide! Immigration is a Jewish plot to replace white people! Fight back!"

Spout enough hate and calls to violence day in day out, and no matter how much they play coy and cry "freeze peach! so much for the tolerent left" eventually the propaganda is going to do its job and someone is going to act on it.

Tolerating nazis now because of the idiotic idea that tolerance has to extend to intolerance doesn't work any better now than appeasing them did in the '40s.

If you'd told me yesterday that this was going to happen, the only thing I would've had any problem believing was the where. The who, the what, the why, and the how are a lovely song stuck on repeat.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah. This poo poo is only going to continue unless the governments around the world start treating white supremacist hate groups as the dangerous terrorist groups they are.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cFMCwcl&ampcf=1

Up to 49 dead total, at least 20 more seriously wounded. Unknown if there are others with minor injuries.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Like something out of the Book of Revelations

https://twitter.com/thecontemptor/status/1106381912346644480?s=21

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I wish we could have a national or global look at social media and try and stop this poo poo. Or at least get rid of the nazis and stopping loving livestreams of massacres

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is usually about the time when Trump is up and tweeting about Fox and Friends; instead, the only thing he’s tweeted was a link to loving Breitbart. You would have figured some aid would have woken him up, jammed his phone into his tiny hands and told him to, I dunno, make a call to NZ’s PM or maybe tweet condolences or something that demonstrates an ounce of humanity.

Also, Bored As gently caress is right about learning Run, Hide, Fight and Stop the Bleed. Our empathy hasn’t kept pace with technology, and mass shootings and every other form of spectacular mass casualty terrorism is exported everywhere else. Best to recognize the world for what it is and learn how to live in it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to sleep until I know that Trump has shown the bare minimum of decorum. Or even farmed the "decorum" out to an intern. This isn't even a low bar to clear, it's a painted line.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

RandomPauI posted:

I don't want to sleep until I know that Trump has shown the bare minimum of decorum. Or even farmed the "decorum" out to an intern. This isn't even a low bar to clear, it's a painted line.

Go to sleep. Fox News has terrorist in quotes on their main page so don't expect anything decent from trump

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

RandomPauI posted:

Well, you got a Trump Tweet that he absolutely does not mean.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1106520743855251456?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

gently caress this piece of poo poo as well

https://twitter.com/SusanCarland/st...ingawful.com%2F

Why are all these people such loving cunts

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Hot Karl Marx posted:

That's the most disgusting press release i've ever read and I'm going to be disappointed if that person is free and still in office by the end of the day.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Holy poo poo.

I am, of course in no way advocating violence against any elected official in any part of the world but it's really a shame there's no kind of, one might say, direct action his constituents could take to inform him exactly how unwelcome such comments are.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This is all going to look great when Trump publically vetoes the border emergency retraction bill today and opens his mouth more about how we need a wall.

Anyways, here's the best read I've seen on the manifesto and all it's garbage trolling/shitposting. https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/03/15/shitposting-inspirational-terrorism-and-the-christchurch-mosque-massacre/

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*Ahem*

All nazis must loving hang

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
The technology must exist to cleanse that video from the internet. I'm mystified that a 5-second riff from a rock song gets my home video from ~10 years ago with all of 7 views removed from YouTube, but stuff like this always gets a :shrug: from companies.

My half-obscured face in a blurry, drunken New Year's selfie gets tagged to hell and back, but we can't teach the dumbfuck AI to recognize when someone's playing live action DOOM?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I just woke up to this news. I hope all our Kiwis friend and family’s are ok. I’m sorry our crazy is spilling over to your side of the globe.

It’s sad and ironic that yesterday I saw one of the trump muppets on CNN spouting off about left wing violence from antifa after trumps comments on his military, police, and bikers being tough. Meanwhile the admin buried the 2017 Terrorism report that shows right wing extremism outpaces every other type of terrorism both in occurrence and severity.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Seeing some (completely unconfirmed) social media stuff about the second mosque attack being cut short because somebody started shooting back at the terrorists, so there's some good news at least (hopefully)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Woof Blitzer posted:

*Ahem*

All nazis must loving hang

Beating Nazis to death with bats is a good one, too. Call me the Bear Jew.