Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
When you factor in the shows, where you still have broken soldiers returning from forever wars and old American money manipulating politics, even as gods and super geniuses wander around, it's amazing that more people don't describe the MCU as 'horrifying'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Pulcinella posted:

I think when Tony returns to America in IM1 there is a scene where some Stark Inc. scientists are trying to shrink their giant prototype reactor down to the size of the one Tony has and one of the scientists just asks Tony for the secrets of how he did it. Tony gives him a response that is basically “you have to figure it out for yourself. It’s about the journey, not the destination” or some nonsense. In IM2 when Tony has to make an arc reactor that isn’t going to give him cancer he realizes that making the drat things is actually, in fact, really difficult. Then he makes a brand new element in his garage and the arc reactor stuff is never brought up again.

In Iron Man 1 it's Obadiah Stane talking to the stark tech Scientists who are saying it's impossible. He yells about how Stark did it in a cave in the desert.

In Iron Man 2 he has to create a brand new element to power the new reactor.

Start of the Avengers he uses his modified Arc tech to power Stark Tower and mentions it's cheap, renewable energy but it's never really followed up on from there that I can remember.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

When you factor in the shows, where you still have broken soldiers returning from forever wars and old American money manipulating politics, even as gods and super geniuses wander around, it's amazing that more people don't describe the MCU as 'horrifying'

most people aren't horrified by blockbusters that overlay fantasy elements on what is otherwise a recognizable contemporary setting

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Most people want to be jerked off for two hours instead of being reminded that their privilidged lives are built upon the suffering of others.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Most people want to be jerked off for two hours instead of being reminded that their privilidged lives are built upon the suffering of others.

as opposed to the morally superior option of writing :jerkbag: posts on an old forum.

it's okay to enjoy things, even if those things are a product of the horrible society we have to live in.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I do want them to fail, I want all Disney movies to make no money tbh.

Fair.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The other franchise tried to explore the consequences to society of superheroes existing in the world and it apparently made people sad and angry, so we can't have that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean is the goal here for you to demand sworn testimony from peoples' IRL friends and family about their Infinity War opinions or something?

I'm the only SA poster in my social circle and the after-movie conversation at the bar was basically, "uh...what...the gently caress?"

I think trying to pretend like IW was generally considered an incoherent mess outside of relatively small circles of conversation is being willfully dense. It's fine to criticize it for being a weird overstuffed action movie but it was a weird overstuffed action movie which did very well in pretty much every metric you can think of. People liked Thanos regardless of how dumb his motivation was and a lot of portions of the film hit emotionally for people regardless of how hamhanded and forced they were.

I'm not exactly super hyped for Endgame which I think is going to also being a weird overstuffed action movie but my primary reason for watching Marvel movies these days is that my little sister loves them and it's a nice thing for us to do together. My little sister was one of the (many) people in the theater devastated by the ending of IW because she's young and seeing her favorite characters die onscreen was very significant to her regardless of any logic pointing out that no the dude who made 1 billion dollars in his solo movie isn't staying dead. Does that mean it's a good film? No, but it also doesn't particularly matter because a lot of films that are important to people are not the same as good films. gently caress, how many people on this forum alone won't shut up about Optimus Prime dying or whatever.

It's fine to discuss IW's many flaws or how it's basically action figures smashing together or whatever, but acting like it's shocking that people are excited to see action figures smashing together on something awful of all places is goofy and does show a really really narrow view of the forum as a whole, let alone outside of the forum. Regardless of how much people enjoy discussing the craft of film in this subforum, it's still the same place where comic book movie threads get a hundred times the post of anything that doesn't involve brightly colored heroes smashing into each other.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 15, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
well i mean the difference there is that they did intend to kill optimus prime off for good and only brought him back because it affected so many people. infinity war was dumb because none of the deaths were going to stick. the tf animated movie was dumb because it killed off the old cast (of toys) to sell the new cast (of toys).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

well i mean the difference there is that they did intend to kill optimus prime off for good and only brought him back because it affected so many people. infinity war was dumb because none of the deaths were going to stick. the tf animated movie was dumb because it killed off the old cast (of toys) to sell the new cast (of toys).

why are these fake deaths more fake than the also fake deaths of literally every character ever? why does it matter what sticks?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I described Infinity War as "meaningless spectacle" in its CineD thread, but I was still entertained by it. It's bloated, and it looks like poo poo a lot of the time, BUT it was consistent, milquetoast MCU. I was pretty excited for Captain Marvel afterward, but what a letdown that film turned out to be. Hopefully Endgame turns out better than both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

A fictional death can impact people even if they know logically it isn't going to remain, especially in the actual heat of the moment where it occurs. Not everyone who watches films is approaching it from the perspective of "Oh I recognize THIS trope" or whatever, especially younger audiences. People can even get emotional over deaths that are quickly undone if they are executed properly. This is true for a lot of movie deaths. Star Trek 2 ends with about as blatant a "and Spock will probably come back" hint as you can get but Spock's death is still a significant scene to a lot of people even long after he came back from the dead. The Other Film Series ends with a character dying and the last shot being "and here is a really blatant and obvious hint he is coming back", not to mention a sequel announced, that didn't mean it didn't impact people who cared about it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 15, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's extra funny given Optimus Prime having a dramatic death (or near-death) that he eventually returns from has become a staple of almost every single Transformers incarnation.

I got right drunk for Infinity War and I think I had the right idea.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

It's because it's got this layer of quips and sarcasm amd characters you totally would have a beer with. Everyone is irreverent and flippant which means the stakes aren't real

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bedshaped posted:

As such a big company, it's not hard to believe they want to play it safe 90% of the time.

They have thrown the keys to multi-million dollar properties at relatively obscure or risky unknowns in the filmmaking community though so I would give them props for that.

yes i'm sure disney puts people who have multiple music videos and episodes of web series under their belt into the big chair because they trust their vision

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Depends who we're talking about. If we're talking about Gunn, Raimi or Waititi then you're exactly right.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Marvel belong to an insanely lovely company who own the monopoly on every piece of media a child born today will consume.

They should be destroyed on those ground. At the very least, forcifully broken-up. At the most, completely reorganised into public or worker ownership.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bedshaped posted:

Marvel belong to an insanely lovely company who own the monopoly on every piece of media a child born today will consume.

That's a bit hyperbolic, my kid probably consumes like 30% Nintendo, 20% Netflix original (usually DreamWorks), %20 Viacom, %15 indie creator (YouTube/twitch), and %15 Disney, tops. And it's not like we're going out of our way to avoid it. There's a lot more media for kids than just Disney

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bedshaped posted:

Depends who we're talking about. If we're talking about Gunn, Raimi or Waititi then you're exactly right.

i'm obviously not referring to people with proven track records like them. i think you misunderstood my reply.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cease to Hope posted:

why are these fake deaths more fake than the also fake deaths of literally every character ever? why does it matter what sticks?

I also have this question. It's also going to be funny when Endgame comes out and it turns out that a decent amount of characters are still dead. Spout your nerd box office logic at me all you want, but I choose to wait until Endgame actually comes out before I start making GBS threads on Infinity War's character deaths. Even if every single character comes back in Endgame it doesn't make Infinity War less awesome to me at all.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It seems fairly obvious that everybody comes back at the end of the movie, when Thano has been defeated, by the application of some sort of 'sacrifice play'. For maximum irony points it will be Captain America performing said play.

Mostly this thematic choice is not well considered seeing as the vocally against-sacrificing-people person is the one literally willing to throw himself on top of a grenade, rather than the heavily traumatised man-child who wears a suit of armor to protect himself from the world

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still reckon the whole thing will end with Tony and Pepper's wedding, possibly with Star-Lord telling the DJ to play September, but I expect to be disappointed, which is why I also expect to be drunk.

I reckon with more certainty they'll drop a ton of sequel hooks before, during and after the credits to desperately try to prevent audiences from losing interest in the MCU or tuning out after they feel like they've watched as good an ending as it's going to get. It might get full on Return of the King except with sequel teasers instead of tying up loose ends.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There’s going to be like fifteen stingers in Endgame. It’s going to be like the end of Return Of The King.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The entire movie is already an endless series of post-credits scenes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remind me to schedule a piss break halfway through.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love that Widow still does lots of target practice with those glocks, you never know when a good shot from that glock is gonna save the world from a superpowered alien who has the universe literally at his fingertips.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I love that Widow still does lots of target practice with those glocks, you never know when a good shot from that glock is gonna save the world from a superpowered alien who has the universe literally at his fingertips.

people retreat to fantasies of gun ownership and armed rebellion instead of directly confronting systemic forces of oppression, A Good Comic

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

what if you need to shoot an actual superhero out of a net

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
She will shoot at Thanos, lodging a bullet in one of the gauntlet fingers, preventing him from snapping his fingers.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

who is the old man at the bottom of the image?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

She will shoot at Thanos, lodging a bullet in one of the gauntlet fingers, preventing him from snapping his fingers.

One of my favorite bits from Infinity War was when Tony had that special gadget that attached to Thanos' palm and (temporarily)prevented him from closing his fist to activate the gauntlet.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Aces High posted:

The kind of team player you want. He'll take a bullet for you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Honest Thief posted:

She will shoot at Thanos and Thanos will catch the bullet and go "Did you expect that to stop me?" and she'll be like "No, but HE will" and it'll turn out that Hulk wearing Ant Man's shrinking suit was riding on the bullet PEW PEW GOTCHA

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

Stanley, creator of MArvel Comics.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of guns I thought it was funny when the Falcon was pointing his Tec-9s at Proxima and the other guy in the train station.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

One thing the trailer actually did show was that a fair amount of time will have passed between movies. Black Widow has grown her hair out so the bleach blonde look is mostly gone. I'm guessing they go back to trying to live their lives for at least a year or so, and come back because they can't move on and have to try something. Black Widow's target practice is probably going to be part of a montage of not being able to let go, not actual training to take down Thanos with a glock.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Aces High posted:

Aquaman

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Aces High posted:

it's the guy who was willing to suck dick for water from one of the Fyre Festival documentaries

e: this sounds like a shitpost but it isn't. his name is andy king apparently

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She will shoot at Thanos and Thanos will catch the bullet and go "Did you expect that to stop me?" and she'll be like "No, but HE will" and it'll turn out that Hulk wearing Ant Man's shrinking suit was riding on the bullet PEW PEW GOTCHA

Oof the proportionate strength of the Hulk shrunk. Someone do the math on that.