Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One of the questions on the learner's permit test should be to identify the arrow on the fuel gauge and describe its purpose.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, were the other pumps more suited to the layout of their cars already in use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Solar Coaster posted:

:bravo: Well done people! Way to know where your gas tank is!

This frustrates me, especially since I had to wait extra for BOTH of them to re position their cars closer to pull the lines across their cars

This could be one of the stations that proclaim you can use either side because the hoses are long. This is lies, they're generally long enough to stretch it over your trunk or roof and scratch the poo poo out of it, but people believe signs, man.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guilty of pulling up to the wrong side of the pump in rental cars or in-laws Hondas/Toyotas with the gas cap on the wrong side. Besides the expensive repairs, this is my single biggest fear about the idea of ever owning a BMW.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

PT6A posted:

One of the questions on the learner's permit test should be to identify the arrow on the fuel gauge and describe its purpose.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, were the other pumps more suited to the layout of their cars already in use?

I'm not sure that would work, 4 out of my 5 cars don't have an arrow and the one that does I didn't own until last year. My guess is either the other pumps were full, or more likely they just didn't care since the hose technically reached.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Autoexec.bat posted:

I'm not sure that would work, 4 out of my 5 cars don't have an arrow and the one that does I didn't own until last year. My guess is either the other pumps were full, or more likely they just didn't care since the hose technically reached.
If it doesn’t have the arrow, look at the icon of a gas pump. The side the hose is on (generally? Always in my experience, but...) matches the side your filler is on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've never not checked a fuel gauge in a vehicle I've driven since I heard about the arrow thing, and I've never seen one without an arrow.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

I've never not checked a fuel gauge in a vehicle I've driven since I heard about the arrow thing, and I've never seen one without an arrow.
I own one without the arrow, and I’ve driven plenty without. But those without have always had the hose.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Krakkles posted:

If it doesn’t have the arrow, look at the icon of a gas pump. The side the hose is on (generally? Always in my experience, but...) matches the side your filler is on.

Took a look and all 4 have the hose pointing right, 2 of them have the filler on the left.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This is why we should go back to flipping the license plate down to filler her up. It would solve the problem.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Crotch Fruit posted:

Hondas/Toyotas with the gas cap on the wrong side.

There is no way it makes more sense to fill up on the passenger's side. Fite me. :colbert:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is why we should go back to flipping the license plate down to filler her up. It would solve the problem.

:hmmyes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First time seeing this today: light flips yellow, guy in front of me hits the brakes, drops to about 5-10 mph at the stop line, and after it turns red he just coasts through the intersection.

It was a short block so he was forced to stop at the next red light that's maybe 100 yards ahead. :iiam:

Was all set up to do the right thing then just said gently caress it, gonna run this poo poo for no benefit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What was he driving?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Focus! So probs not a hypermiler. It was 8:30 am too so hopefully not drunk either. Just didn't give a gently caress.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

I guarantee you that the other pumps were in use but they just didn't want to wait. As someone with the gas cap on the right side you'd think I'd have the advantage of getting a pump easier, but instead there is always some stupid left capper pulled in backwards (blocking an empty pump behind them) or pulling this poo poo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Autoexec.bat posted:

Took a look and all 4 have the hose pointing right, 2 of them have the filler on the left.
Weird! Out of curiosity - what kinds of cars? Are they older or something?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Krakkles posted:

A Leaf.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
filler arrow chat always fills me with both grief and joy

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I guarantee you that the other pumps were in use but they just didn't want to wait. As someone with the gas cap on the right side you'd think I'd have the advantage of getting a pump easier, but instead there is always some stupid left capper pulled in backwards (blocking an empty pump behind them) or pulling this poo poo.

This is exactly what happened. The place was packed, with cars waiting 2 - 3 in for each aisle. I ended up waiting longer than people in either aisles around me because of their shenanigans.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Edit: Double post

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Nocheez posted:

There is no way it makes more sense to fill up on the passenger's side. Fite me. :colbert:

I mentioned Honda and Toyota only because my in-laws used to drive those, I cant recall the model, but I remember it had the fuel cap on the passenger side. But if you want to fight about it, according to Jalopink VW likes to put the fuel cap on the passenger side so that the driver can be on the passenger when pouring in fuel from a jerry can on the side of the highway. I still think it's the wrong side but that does make sense.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Solar Coaster posted:

:bravo: Well done people! Way to know where your gas tank is!

This frustrates me, especially since I had to wait extra for BOTH of them to re position their cars closer to pull the lines across their cars

This photo could be taken at literally any Costco. The pump hoses are intentionally longer so you don't have to sit and wait for a particular pump.

It actually kind of irks me when people gently caress up the line at Costco because they need to find a pump that matches their gas door.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I mentioned Honda and Toyota only because my in-laws used to drive those, I cant recall the model, but I remember it had the fuel cap on the passenger side. But if you want to fight about it, according to Jalopink VW likes to put the fuel cap on the passenger side so that the driver can be on the passenger when pouring in fuel from a jerry can on the side of the highway. I still think it's the wrong side but that does make sense.

I have two Mazda 3s, one from 2005 and one from 2016. They have the cap on opposite sides.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xergm posted:

This photo could be taken at literally any Costco. The pump hoses are intentionally longer so you don't have to sit and wait for a particular pump.

It actually kind of irks me when people gently caress up the line at Costco because they need to find a pump that matches their gas door.

Around here the line to Costco gas is always several cars deep so if you tried this I think you’d get murdered

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I actually got kicked out of pumps at a Stop and Shop gas station once because I pulled up to a pump in reverse so that the filler was on the same side of the pump. They have it designed so it is essentially a one way, but even though it wasn't that crowded all the pumps for the side I needed were being used. The hoses are also not long enough to pull across the car so I just turned it in reverse and backed up to the next pump. The attended came out screaming at me that it is a one way flow and I can't do that and she wasn't gonna turn the pump on. I explained that I would just drive away from the pump in reverse and turn around when I was out of the way if was seriously a problem, but she was not having it. I had to leave the pump and go sit behind somebody else and wait. I know she was just doing her job but she reacted like I pulled up using a road flare to light a cigar while trying to pump gas into a plastic bottle.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

Krakkles posted:

It's my 2000 Toyota Camry and 1997 Volvo 960 that have a right facing pump hose and left side fillers, the Volvo even has the icon on the right side of the gauge for some reason. The other two are a 91 Chevy Suburban and 89 VW Golf. So yeah a bit older but it's not like 4th gen Camries are unusual.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 16, 2019

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Weird poo poo in my home town. Apparently a person shot two others and later a highway patrolman in some kind of weird blind road rage incident. I'm just now getting the news even though I saw a lot of red and blues on the way home from work last night.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/suspect-arrested-after-trooper-others-shot-in-missoula-area

e: a reliable source indicates that the guy was a headcase who was taking or maybe not taking meds. Non-judgemental sources are available via google.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 16, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bigbillystyle posted:

I actually got kicked out of pumps at a Stop and Shop gas station once because I pulled up to a pump in reverse so that the filler was on the same side of the pump. They have it designed so it is essentially a one way, but even though it wasn't that crowded all the pumps for the side I needed were being used. The hoses are also not long enough to pull across the car so I just turned it in reverse and backed up to the next pump. The attended came out screaming at me that it is a one way flow and I can't do that and she wasn't gonna turn the pump on. I explained that I would just drive away from the pump in reverse and turn around when I was out of the way if was seriously a problem, but she was not having it. I had to leave the pump and go sit behind somebody else and wait. I know she was just doing her job but she reacted like I pulled up using a road flare to light a cigar while trying to pump gas into a plastic bottle.

The BJs near me has a ton of signs warning you that the pumps are one way and that you need to pull forward as far as you can, and they are definitely not loving around. I’ve seen attendants come running out if someone is waiting just one or two pumps from the end with enough room for them to pull forward into the last one. I don’t like to drag the hoses across the trunk of my car so basically I just don’t go at busy times.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PT6A posted:

Apparently some car makers have stopped doing that simply because so few people knew about it :ughh:

drat shame, such a simple, useful idea.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The robot wants to shoot himself in the head because the needle is moving to the left, towards the e, at an alarmingly fast pace.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've been in a few cars that don't have the arrow. Can't remember what they are at the moment but you only ever find out pulling into the gas station right before you have decide which pump to go to.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The worst I've ever done is spend 15 minutes at the pump reading the owners manual for the rental Buick Verano I had a couple months ago because I could not for the life of me figure out how to open the fuel door. Then I found out on modern GM products you press the door down and it pops open.

The couple of times I'll pulled up on the wrong side I just hop back in the vehicle in question and do a loop to get in the right orientation.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fermented Tinal posted:

The worst I've ever done is spend 15 minutes at the pump reading the owners manual for the rental Buick Verano I had a couple months ago because I could not for the life of me figure out how to open the fuel door. Then I found out on modern GM products you press the door down and it pops open.

The couple of times I'll pulled up on the wrong side I just hop back in the vehicle in question and do a loop to get in the right orientation.

My mom let me take her (then) new Kia Optima for a spin if I'd fill it up for her, and I had to call her from the gas station because how the gently caress was I supposed to know that there was a gas flap release lever hidden in the door near the place I usually shove fast food receipts?
:goonsay:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I borrowed my dad's hybrid Volvo and had to call him to ask how to open the charging flap. For the diesel door there is a button in the car but for electricity you press the actual flap.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

One of my wife's ex friends bought a Cadillac, it has the fuel door that you just press to get it to open. The first time she went to fill up, she couldn't figure out how to open up the fuel door. I told her, and she said it wasn't working, so I went online and looked up the manual, confirming what I told her. Finally, she texted to tell me she figured it out, the door wouldn't open when the car was running. I then found out she refuses to turn off her car when filling it up because it's in convenient and she was incredibly bull headed and self entitled.

She went to the dealer, and is gorgeous enough that she was able to flirt and convince them to go in and disable the safety systems.

She also started referring to the lane keep assist as her drunk driving assistant. The fact that she wouldn't stop drinking and driving, sometimes with her kids in the car, is why she is an ex-friend.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well that is solidly a 'drunk' :stare:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
No matter what state I drive through, if I'm going the speed limit, a vehicle with California plates will appear, ride 6 inches off of my bumper through a long straightaway, and then rage-pass me on a double yellow.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Javid posted:

No matter what state I drive through, if I'm going the speed limit, a vehicle with California plates will appear, ride 6 inches off of my bumper through a long straightaway, and then rage-pass me on a double yellow.

yeah sorry about that, we're in a hurry and entitled

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fermented Tinal posted:

The Honda Civic has the toogle just above the the lever for the motor cover. It's a bit inconvenient to reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My Civic has a double duty latch on the floor between drivers door and seat. Push to open the trunk, pull to open the fuel door. The cable rusts easily and quickly, making the sleeve separate from the center cable. You only notice this when trying to open the fuel door and not being able to. And where do you learn this? At the gas station with an empty tank, of course.

The backup solution is to pull the trunk liner back a little and disconnect the cable from the fuel door. Then order the aftermarket cable sleeve collet whatever the gently caress because it's a big enough problem for an aftermarket solution to readily exist.