Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

IOwnCalculus posted:

How many transcodes are you doing at once? I'm running E5-2667 V2s and according to Tautulli I've had as many as 11 transcodes going at once (for some reason, nearly all of my users leave the Plex app set at the 4Mbps 720p default) and it was still throttling back on all of them. I've got some advantage on clock speed but those 2670 V1s aren't exactly slow.

I really wish something in the Plex server settings would allow you to override what bitrate remote client devices play at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

I really wish something in the Plex server settings would allow you to override what bitrate remote client devices play at.

There is a setting regarding the rate at which remote clients play at.

Settings->Remote Access->Limit Remote Stream Bitrate

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thwomp posted:

That's good if your outbound constraint is bandwidth, not CPU. If it's CPU, it makes things worse.

I'd like there to be a setting where you could, by library, disable anything other than direct stream / direct play. Those 2667 V2s can transcode h264 1080p content all loving day long but transcoding 4K / high bitrate 1080p 265 loving murders them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thwomp posted:

That just limits their max bitrate setting, it won't change whatever their current bitrate setting is at, i.e, a client that has their playback rate set to 4Mbps 720p will still play at that bitrate even if you set the limit remote stream bitrate to 10Mbps. I want a setting where it forces clients to play at whatever bitrate you dictate, overriding whatever setting they have, which will in turn give you more control over how often your server will have to transcode video streams.

[edit]

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd like there to be a setting where you could, by library, disable anything other than direct stream / direct play. Those 2667 V2s can transcode h264 1080p content all loving day long but transcoding 4K / high bitrate 1080p 265 loving murders them.

Or yeah this. Have a server setting that only allows direct stream/direct play on remote streams. If a remote client isn't set at the proper bitrate to allow direct stream/direct play, it'll maybe have a pop-up saying remote playback settings need to be properly configured before you can stream that video.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 14, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm having such a weird issue with Plex that I don't even know where to begin.

I bought a used NVidia graphics card on eBay because my server's CPU is pretty old and does not support QuickSync and I always thought Plex was a lot slower than XBMC, even when both aren't transcoding. So I put the video card in, installed, it and turned on hardware decoding. Now everything is blazing fast; almost as fast as playing from XBMC.

The weird thing now is that 75% of the time, Blue's Clues episodes stop after about 5 seconds of playing and then shoot out an error that Plex "lost connection to server, please retry". I can click retry 20 times and it doesn't work. To make sure it's not my server, I go to play a 30 gig 1080p MKV and it works just fine. But it shits out this "lost connection to server" error on 480p Blue's Clues episodes.

I turned off hardware decoding and it stopped happening. Is my video card defective or something? Just to test it out I am running Tomb Raider 2015 with ultimate settings and it's not crashing or anything so I don't know what the hell could cause this. Is it because these Blue's Clues episodes are 480p? I remember reading that hardware decoding via GPU in Plex can be a little wonky with 480p, but I thought that was when converting something to 480p. From everything I can see, these episodes are playing without conversion, which makes the fact that the GPU is involved at all kind of weird. Does the GPU and hardware encoding engage even when something is playing without transcoding?

I am trying to figure out if it's Plex being wonky or the video card I bought was mining bitcoins for 2 years before I bought it. But I still don't get why turning off hardware decoding fixes the issue. It NEVER happens with anything other than these Blue's Clues episodes. It has to be one of the most bizarre computer issues I've had in a long time. I have like 20 days to return the video card so any input would be really appreciated!

This sounds like there's something wrong with the files themselves rather than any of the other hardware. The fact that a more recent FHD BR rip transcodes fine and this old SD file does not suggests that, whatever's wrong with the way those files are encoded, the CPU can brute force through it in software but it's causing some error with NVENC (although the "lost connection" error is misleading because it suggests a network issue.)

Try to transcode those SD files with Handbrake (see the Don Melton info several posts back, actually.) If they're downloaded via filesharing then who knows how they're encoded, and if they're DVD rips then they're MPEG-1/2 which as I've mentioned recently is poo poo. Transcoding them all to AVC or HEVC will save perhaps 50% on file size (it's usually more than that as I use HEVC for everything) and animation in particular is more heavily compressible. Don't be surprised if those episodes get chopped down to like 1/8 the original file size or better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

teagone posted:

Or yeah this. Have a server setting that only allows direct stream/direct play on remote streams. If a remote client isn't set at the proper bitrate to allow direct stream/direct play, it'll maybe have a pop-up saying remote playback settings need to be properly configured before you can stream that video.

While I'm wishing for poo poo to people who can't do anything other than agree or disagree with me, I also wish there was a way to put it in maintenance mode - where it will finish out any streams currently playing but block new ones from starting so I can actually run updates without cutting someone off :v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Being able to push out a "server will reboot at 2300 for scheduled maintenance, should be back online in 5 minutes" message would be nice!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Atomizer posted:

Being able to push out a "server will reboot at 2300 for scheduled maintenance, should be back online in 5 minutes" message would be nice!

You can force kill a stream and enter a message at least. Fine if there’s only one person streaming, a headache if a bunch. Feels like that page should definitely include a kill all button with that too.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Is there a good tutorial for connecting a GSutie drive to Plex? I guess the one suggested method is to encrypt the uploads for added protection?

I'm in the same situation (I think) and would also be interested in learning this. $10/mo seems like a steal for my Plex library.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

I'm in the same situation (I think) and would also be interested in learning this. $10/mo seems like a steal for my Plex library.

I'm actually planning on experimenting with StableBit's Cloud Drive app and mounting multiple 15GB Google Drive accounts into a drive pool that I'll point my Plex server towards. I don't think that breaks TOS. Will do a trip report on how it works... If I get it to work lol.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

This sounds like there's something wrong with the files themselves rather than any of the other hardware. The fact that a more recent FHD BR rip transcodes fine and this old SD file does not suggests that, whatever's wrong with the way those files are encoded, the CPU can brute force through it in software but it's causing some error with NVENC (although the "lost connection" error is misleading because it suggests a network issue.)

Try to transcode those SD files with Handbrake (see the Don Melton info several posts back, actually.) If they're downloaded via filesharing then who knows how they're encoded, and if they're DVD rips then they're MPEG-1/2 which as I've mentioned recently is poo poo. Transcoding them all to AVC or HEVC will save perhaps 50% on file size (it's usually more than that as I use HEVC for everything) and animation in particular is more heavily compressible. Don't be surprised if those episodes get chopped down to like 1/8 the original file size or better.

That's a really good idea. I'll just re-encode them. I guess "cannot connect to server" was just a roundabout way of Plex saying the file is screwed up. Thank you!

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

teagone posted:

If you've got Tautulli installed and a Plex Pass, you can use this script to do exactly that: https://github.com/blacktwin/JBOPS/blob/master/killstream/readme.md

The default example will kill all transcodes and pop a message you can configure, and I believe you can also set it to only kill remote transcodes, or transcodes by library (i.e. your 4K or HEVC library, etc)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Stockwell posted:

If you've got Tautulli installed and a Plex Pass, you can use this script to do exactly that: https://github.com/blacktwin/JBOPS/blob/master/killstream/readme.md

The default example will kill all transcodes and pop a message you can configure, and I believe you can also set it to only kill remote transcodes, or transcodes by library (i.e. your 4K or HEVC library, etc)

Oh poo poo :eyepop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stockwell posted:

Well poo poo, I've got both of those things. Time to start rebuilding that 4K.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

I'm actually planning on experimenting with StableBit's Cloud Drive app and mounting multiple 15GB Google Drive accounts into a drive pool that I'll point my Plex server towards. I don't think that breaks TOS. Will do a trip report on how it works... If I get it to work lol.

Nice, I was wondering about how to handle encryption as well and this looks good.

edit: Also think it's hilarious that this kind of technology is now available to consumers. Amazing.

edit 2: And now I'm tripping even more thinking about running this on a Google Cloud Computing hosted Windows VM!

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 15, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does anyone here use Plex TV? I’ve been debating getting a homerun or whatever and trying it, but I’d like to hear some input. I don’t really care about DVRing most things but streaming it to my phone or PC would be pretty novel.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You ever feel real dumb? I realized today that both my desktop (where I have been software handbrake'ing for 6 years) and server support quicksync. It can't quite keep up with burning subtitles but for regular stuff it seems fine. I don't know if I was missing the driver package for Linux or what but it works now. Transcodes now use va-api.

Real dumb.

Plex also fixed my seeking issue in this release.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Warbird posted:

Does anyone here use Plex TV? I’ve been debating getting a homerun or whatever and trying it, but I’d like to hear some input. I don’t really care about DVRing most things but streaming it to my phone or PC would be pretty novel.

I just got my HD Homerun Connect (the mpeg2 one) and it works great. I have the coax line from the antenna on my roof going into my HD Homerun Connect in my basement and now I have live TV in every room in my house via Plex. Picture quality looks great (I wouldn't say as good as if it were directly TV to antenna but I could be imagining it) but way better than running coax to every room in my house. Recording TV is another plus because people don't really pirate poo poo that I watch like Dateline and 48 Hours.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think he’s talking about Plex’s subscription TV service, which I think you can combine with HDHR for local channels.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

Yep my homerun works great. It allowed me to relocate my antenna to a better part of the house via cat5 and have all TVs play it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think he’s talking about Plex’s subscription TV service, which I think you can combine with HDHR for local channels.

There's no such thing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

There's no such thing.

Probably thinking of HDHR's own subscription service, which works with Plex, but has been plagued with problems. Also the upstream provider is currently being sued by, well, everyone https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/omniverse-lawsuit-dragon-box-streaming-crackdown-1203140742/

As I posted in the other thread. I wouldn't recommend it. I used to use it and even absent the current drama it had problems - quality was generally poor, channel selection small, and price high. Too bad because the concept was good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doh yes, that’s what I was indeed thinking about. Apologies.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That's a really good idea. I'll just re-encode them. I guess "cannot connect to server" was just a roundabout way of Plex saying the file is screwed up. Thank you!

Another thought was that, if there really is something erroneous about those files, you might not be able to transcode them. It depends on a lot of factors, but some software can play certain formats and ignore errors, and others can't. I've had files that I couldn't transcode in Handbrake because they caused it to hang at some point (these were all files from elsewhere, not from original rips.) I had some DVR'd files from an old setup that I had to use some 3rd-party software to transcode, and I've had similar issues with .dvr-ms files from Windows Media Center recordings. I'd still give it a shot, but be aware that this might not work precisely because of what I predicted, that there's something wrong with those files.

And yeah, I hate misleading error messages. I guess "can't connect to server" can be spun around to mean "can't connect because the server can't play this file rather than there being an actual network connection issue" but it certainly doesn't make it any easier for the user to troubleshoot!

H110Hawk posted:

You ever feel real dumb? I realized today that both my desktop (where I have been software handbrake'ing for 6 years) and server support quicksync. It can't quite keep up with burning subtitles but for regular stuff it seems fine. I don't know if I was missing the driver package for Linux or what but it works now. Transcodes now use va-api.

Real dumb.

Plex also fixed my seeking issue in this release.

Hardware transcoding wasn't officially supported until recently, though. It entirely could've been that it wasn't supported on Linux until even more recently than on Windows. :shrug:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I dunno the current state of quicksync on Linux but it used to be that you needed to either use a specific version of the kernel or do a somewhat complicated rebuild of everything. Sounds like it has been smoothed out a bit if users don’t have to do anything special besides install the drivers.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
OK so I finally got around today to adding a new Plex user for our living room TV. This way the kids don't see violent movies and certain folders.

However when logging in now it tries to sell me on Plex Pass which we already have. Is there any way to add a user that has Plex Pass access, but also has limits to folder access?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

OK so I finally got around today to adding a new Plex user for our living room TV. This way the kids don't see violent movies and certain folders.

However when logging in now it tries to sell me on Plex Pass which we already have. Is there any way to add a user that has Plex Pass access, but also has limits to folder access?

Sounds like you made an actual new “email account” and sent an email invite. You should’ve just added a “managed user” to your account.

When you open any Plex client after adding managed users, it prompts you to pick one. Still under the same PlexPass account, but different libraries available, different watched/unwatched status, and you can set an access pin if you want.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

eddiewalker posted:

Sounds like you made an actual new “email account” and sent an email invite. You should’ve just added a “managed user” to your account.

When you open any Plex client after adding managed users, it prompts you to pick one. Still under the same PlexPass account, but different libraries available, different watched/unwatched status, and you can set an access pin if you want.

Thanks. So I would create a new managed user for the living room TV, but what if my kids want to watch Plex outside our home wifi?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
go to the web interface, make a managed user called “Kids”, then tag all your kid-friendly media to a new label that is a label the Kids user can see. Then they have a white list of what they’re allowed to watch, by selecting the Kids user when they launch Plex.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thanks. So I would create a new managed user for the living room TV, but what if my kids want to watch Plex outside our home wifi?

They still login with your main PlexPass account, and the user selection/pin-entry screen still appears on every device.

Same way Netflix works with sub-accounts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Log in with your main account on their devices, and whenever they launch the app, they'll see their user icon. If they try to go into your account, they'll be prompted to enter your pin number to unlock access.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Thanks all! This was pretty confusing for some reason (I'm dumb)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thanks all! This was pretty confusing for some reason (I'm dumb)

Plex could be clearer about how to get Plex Home up and running in the app. Once you do, it's basically like creating/adding users to a Netflix account.

For reference: https://support.plex.tv/articles/203815766-what-is-plex-home/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone posted:

Smashing Link posted:

Nice, I was wondering about how to handle encryption as well and this looks good.

edit: Also think it's hilarious that this kind of technology is now available to consumers. Amazing.

edit 2: And now I'm tripping even more thinking about running this on a Google Cloud Computing hosted Windows VM!

Did a test just now. I pooled two 10GB Google Drives from fresh accounts, NTFS mounted from CloudDrive. Both drives are encrypted, with 1GB expandable local cache stored on my server's NVMe SSD, with storage chunk size 10MB, chunk cache size 100MB, and pinning disabled. I created a Movies folder in the mounted drive, and copied over a 720p 3Mbps movie file weighing in around 3GB that uploaded at max bandwidth speed from the ISP. Edited the Movies library in Plex to point to the drive pool containing the Google Drives. Currently streaming the file no problem.

:discourse:

[edit] Reading online some people have buffering issues with prefetch enabled. I'll try meatier files when I pool in more Google Drive accounts and see if that happens. Right now I'm streaming that 720p 3Mbps file without any issues.

[edit 2] I'm guessing files with higher bitrates might need me to change the amount of download threads on each Google Drive. I have it on the default (2 threads). Again, no issues with a modest encode.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 17, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anyone with a server version above 1.15.1.710 noticing Plex using more CPU when nothing's going on? Went from <1% with 1.15.1.710 to 15% when I tried 1.15.1.791 or 1.15.2.793. Nothing was streaming or even being accessed.

Beta software and all, I know.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 17, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

astral posted:

Anyone with a server version above 1.15.1.710 noticing Plex using more CPU when nothing's going on? Went from zero with 1.15.1.710 to 15% on my little plex server when I tried 1.15.1.791 or 1.15.2.793. Nothing was streaming or even being accessed.

Beta software and all, I know.

Sitting at 0.7% on mine. plexmediaserver.x86_64 1.15.2.793-782228
f99 @@commandline

I have a lot turned off though. Check your console logs.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Sitting at 0.7% on mine. plexmediaserver.x86_64 1.15.2.793-782228
f99 @@commandline

I have a lot turned off though. Check your console logs.

Thanks for the tip - looks like in the Plex Media Server.log files corresponding with the runs/versions that had higher CPU usage, it's flooded with:

code:
WARN - [CompanionPlayer] We already have a handler, overwriting.
lines. Tons of them each second. The non-CPU-hog version has a total of 2 instead of hundreds/thousands.

edit: Googling that, someone on reddit with some other problem noticed the same symptom at least: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/b1iu2k/plex_live_tv_stops_after_4_minutes_for_home_users/?ref=readnext

astral fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 17, 2019

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So does everyone just run their instances in containers now? I’ve had mine set up
in docker for a while with Watchtower for automatic updates. Couldn’t be happier with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I still have a VMWare server in the basement because I am a nerd for a living and run lots of dumb stuff for myself as well as using it as a test bed for learning and work projects. My plex server is still happily trucking away on it's own Centos 7 VM.