Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
I don't detect any ideology behind the attacker other than to pander to his buddies on 8chan.

Killed about 50 people as fan service to some of the most distilled garbage culture on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

God drat this scumfuck is the worst.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The Orgasm Sanction posted:

I don't detect any ideology behind the attacker other than to pander to his buddies on 8chan.

Killed about 50 people as fan service to some of the most distilled garbage culture on the internet.

Relinking this from Bellingcat and adding this from TPM

The bottom line is that all of his memey poo poo is very scatterbrained, like it's 8chan pandering and deliberately made to send off the media in random directions.

In contrast, the underlying white supremacist poo poo is extremely coherent, like it's one of his core beliefs, and is along the lines of the Charlottesville "JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" garbage about white culture being replaced over time, among other poo poo.

There was absolutely a fanservice element, but the underlying ideology was very much white supremacy. You just had to burrow through Pepe kekestan garbage to get there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm listening to a podcast about how the government actually knew the identity of the soldier interred in the Tomb of the Unknown from Vietnam. They play parts of Reagan's speech from the burial, and I find myself sympathizing with the liberal plea to at least elect rhetorically-capable ancient rot-brained sadists.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Orgasm Sanction posted:

Did you even look at it?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Did you even look at it?

Listen, we shouldn't give the killer what they want by discussing their actual actions and motives, instead lets just make contradictory assumptions that avoid raising any challenges to our current sociopolitical beliefs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I..... what?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Attention GIP: Shitposting in the CE thread is now off-limits until further notice. The shitpost lamp is out throughout the thread. Secure all shitposts.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
His guns were covered in white supremacy writing FFS. I think he even wrote names of other nazi mass shooters on them

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1106661858440855557

N4I, hop on 96 and head over for it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I hate this loving loathesome piece of poo poo with every ounce of my being

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Same

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

Listen, we shouldn't give the killer what they want by discussing their actual actions and motives, instead lets just make contradictory assumptions that avoid raising any challenges to our current sociopolitical beliefs.

Yeah, that's kinda how it feels. I've seen some of the paraphenalia. Saw his last post. Not ever looking up his name seems nice symbolically, but thats kinda what the chan is about... So it seems wierd and empty to use the notoriety clause to keep from linking the poo poo.

It's bad poo poo. I aint clicking on it. I should, but Im a coward and I know that will radicalize me into knowing all white people are bloodthirsty savages who see the world as a zero sum game and murder muslims for subs. Please like, follow, and subscribe.

Off topic: man, what Candice Owens is tweeting to both gently caress up Kanye and be on this dudes follow list? One crazy person latch on to you, that could be that craxy person. I hear about it a second time, she know what words to whisper in massahs ear to make them feel good.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not empty quoting.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm listening to a podcast about how the government actually knew the identity of the soldier interred in the Tomb of the Unknown from Vietnam. They play parts of Reagan's speech from the burial, and I find myself sympathizing with the liberal plea to at least elect rhetorically-capable ancient rot-brained sadists.

99% Invisible, right?

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Not ever looking up his name seems nice symbolically

I'm sure I'll eventually hear the shooters name from the news or something but I'm doing the same thing and not going to look for it.

I do want to find out the name of the guy that rushed the shooter and tried to stop him. He's a loving hero.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's weird and I feel like broke brained Fox watchers during Obama's terms, but I honestly cannot think of a single thing the pissbaby has done that was positive. Nothing comes to mind but an avalanche of poo poo, self dealing and bigotry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

It's weird and I feel like broke brained Fox watchers during Obama's terms, but I honestly cannot think of a single thing the pissbaby has done that was positive. Nothing comes to mind but an avalanche of poo poo, self dealing and bigotry.

Well, he took credit for that criminal justice reform package that Congress passed.

Umm. Yeah that's all I got

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nah I’m good.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Nothing comes to mind but an avalanche of poo poo, self dealing and bigotry.

That's his actual personality, he literally doesn't have anything more to him. As we like to say in England, it does what it says on the tin.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sorry, I will subtract the poo poo from my posting and try to express my position clearly and honestly.

Many people react to spree killings by trying to pull a blanket over the killers. This is a completely understandable reaction, usually based in disgust for their actions, and for the actions of media outlets whose bottom line is based on finding the optimal amount of horrific imagery to spread. So they'll say, not only don't watch the video, and don't read the manifesto, but don't even say the murder's name, don't investigate his thinking (speaking of which, also don't ask why he's usually a he), just mourn the victims and...that's it.

So my growing disquiet for this reaction comes from a concern that it is a form of "thoughts and prayers," magical thinking that treats policy problems not even as political opportunities, but moral ones, moments when we can shrive ourselves privately or publicly, indulge in sadness and somberness, call our families, hold our loved ones close, and then move on without addressing any contributory causes to the event. It takes the tragedy as a given, contracts everyone's vision to the bier and the grave, the mental space where there is nothing to be done anymore, where any protest or complaint is unseemly.

I'm grateful that fewer people have the same reaction to other human-caused tragedy such as oil-spills. Then we allow ourselves to ask, "What can, should, and will be done to reduce this." We understand without argument that oil spills are not historically inevitable, that there was a time before them and there will be a time after them, that they happen because of the choices of human beings which are influenced by alterable legal realities, not demons against which we may only cross ourselves three times and offer monthly human sacrifices.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doc Hawkins posted:

Many people react to spree killings by trying to pull a blanket over the killers. This is a completely understandable reaction, usually based in disgust for their actions, and for the actions of media outlets whose bottom line is based on finding the optimal amount of horrific imagery to spread. So they'll say, not only don't watch the video, and don't read the manifesto, but don't even say the murder's name, don't investigate his thinking (speaking of which, also don't ask why he's usually a he), just mourn the victims and...that's it.

Literally the opposite of this for all US based news outlets.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

citybeatnik posted:

99% Invisible, right?

Yeah, episode 344, "The Known Unknown."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sorry, I will subtract the poo poo from my posting and try to express my position clearly and honestly.

So my growing disquiet for this reaction comes from a concern that it is a form of "thoughts and prayers," magical thinking that treats policy problems not even as political opportunities, but moral ones, moments when we can shrive ourselves privately or publicly, indulge in sadness and somberness, call our families, hold our loved ones close, and then move on without addressing any contributory causes to the event. It takes the tragedy as a given, contracts everyone's vision to the bier and the grave, the mental space where there is nothing to be done anymore, where any protest or complaint is unseemly.

I'm grateful that fewer people have the same reaction to other human-caused tragedy such as oil-spills. Then we allow ourselves to ask, "What can, should, and will be done to reduce this." We understand without argument that oil spills are not historically inevitable, that there was a time before them and there will be a time after them, that they happen because of the choices of human beings which are influenced by alterable legal realities, not demons against which we may only cross ourselves three times and offer monthly human sacrifices.

Fair enough. It's worth noting that our PM is calling this an act of terrorism and is vowing to change our gun laws as a result of this. I guess you probably weren't aware of that, but that's why I was going 'what? things are happening as a result.'
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/384838/christchurch-mosque-terror-attacks-our-gun-laws-will-change-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern

It's pretty refreshing to see her take a strong stance on this more or less immediately instead of flailing about people on both sides.
The really hosed up thing for me is that the dude had no prior record of any kind. No history of violence or anything. He just.... decided to do it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

A couple of days ago he approved changing some National Monuments to National Parks. More National Parks are always good. That's all I've got. It doesn't even come close to making up for the Bears Ears poo poo he pulled.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That Works posted:

Literally the opposite of this for all US based news outlets.

That is another problem. "Here's a bunch of baby pictures of the killer. Friends and family remember someone who always had a joke at the barbecue, though they neglected to repeat any of them on camera for some reason. He was quiet and normal, until a chance encounter with antifa at a protest left him with a fear he could only work out...in bloodshed. Up next, another family man under attack for his connection to the killer, some say he is a 'White Supremacist' who uses all available platforms to cynically spread a message of murder! We'll have his side of the story, when we return."

To a news outlet, a mass shootings is not a story, it's a gushing fountain of stories of varied types (e: and you need a mix of stories to sustain the temporary boost in viewership after the event as long as possible). Humanizing the killer is one of the types of human interest stories you can get past editorial.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Fair enough. It's worth noting that our PM is calling this an act of terrorism and is vowing to change our gun laws as a result of this. I guess you probably weren't aware of that, but that's why I was going 'what? things are happening as a result.'
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/384838/christchurch-mosque-terror-attacks-our-gun-laws-will-change-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern

It's pretty refreshing to see her take a strong stance on this more or less immediately instead of flailing about people on both sides.
The really hosed up thing for me is that the dude had no prior record of any kind. No history of violence or anything. He just.... decided to do it.

being extremely online breaks your brain. mine is

edit: bernie's campaign is now unionized

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/1106664019195252736

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 15, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How does that even work, aren’t most of the non-management staff volunteers?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yes, that is good, solidarity and good luck. I'm sorry I didn't explain myself fully from the start.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FrozenVent posted:

How does that even work, aren’t most of the non-management staff volunteers?

idk but its cool and good

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Laranzu posted:

Saying it's a tick in the plus column is not saying there aren't a billion more ticks in the minus column.

Calm down before jumping on the you aren't pure enough train.

I just want to see how it gets spun in the primaries as the olds will he terrified of a hacker!!!

All aboard the purity train toot toot

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1106643935777173505?s=19

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

A master campaigner at work.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Goddamn worthless texans.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamn worthless politicians.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This guy is no Voldemort, but I can certainly support trying to bring damnatio memoriae back into fashion.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hannibal Rex posted:

This guy is no Voldemort

Please... I beg you!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

did i just read an opinion piece that doesnt suck?

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/on-the-inside/384852/christchurch-mosque-terror-attacks-a-dark-day-of-grief-shock-and-unspeakable-heartbreak

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lmao

teen beto posted:

“One day, as I was driving home from work, I noticed two children crossing the street. They were happy, happy to be free from their troubles. ... This happiness was mine by right. I had earned it in my dreams,” he wrote, according to Reuters. “As I neared the young ones, I put all my weight on my right foot, keeping the accelerator pedal on the floor until I heard the crashing of the two children on the hood, and then the sharp cry of pain from one of the two. I was so fascinated for a moment, that when after I had stopped my vehicle, I just sat in a daze, sweet visions filling my head.”

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

^ Good read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

In less-depressing news, James Gunn is back on as director Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-back-as-guardians-galaxy-3-director-1195066

The chuds were the driving force in getting him canned, so I imagine they’re calling for Disney boycotts again. In fact, Weird Mike is already on it!

https://www.thewrap.com/mike-cernovich-urges-media-matters-boycott-of-disney-after-james-gunn-rehired/