Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drone posted:

I get this feeling as well, so I'm not discounting it, but I'm a gay man and DS9 is my favorite series by a country mile :shrug:

Fakeedit: also a lot of gay men's fondness for Voyager amounts to "Janeway yaaaas queen"

All of this, the same yes. I can never understand the Voyager love generally in gay fandom, but I’m pretty sure 95% is that same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

FuturePastNow posted:

I assume anyone who likes TNG and Voyager but doesn't like DS9 is a racist.

Funnily enough, I (a dude) have been called sexist for disliking Voyager.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've been called a reverse racist for not liking Enterprise

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Drone posted:

also a lot of gay men's fondness for Voyager amounts to "Janeway yaaaas queen, slay tuvix"

:commissar:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Incredible posts by Forums User Miss in the MSPaint Spaceships GBS thread.

but specifically

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Major, shut that anus off!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Funnily enough, I (a dude) have been called sexist for disliking Voyager.

I got upset at someone who said this to me once and then I looked at other people who disliked Voyager and said, “oh.”

There’s a big difference between (most of) what happens here and the larger internet world. I’ve learned to lean heavily on hating Rick Berman and his weird edicts and then I get the chance to actually talk about what was wrong with the show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I decided to save DS9 for now. I'm currently on a break and watched all of Discovery. I like Discovery but can understand why people don't.

After I ran out of Discovery episodes, I started watching Enterprise. This quickly became watching Enterprise in the background. Season 1 of this show has so few good episodes. It also feels like every background is either brown or gray. Acquisition is one of the few decent episodes in season 1. I've read it gets better in season 3, hopefully s2 has a few more good episodes than s1. The theme song is so hilarious I don't immediately hit skip intro. The idea that they chose the song to make Star Trek more hip is hilarious. Is there a decent watch list for Season 2 that anyone can recommend?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Carbon Creek
Minefield (Dead Stop is a continuation but not required)
The Catwalk
Stigma
Cease Fire
The Crossing
First Flight

There are other decent episodes but those are the only ones I’d consider essential, and some of them (like Stigma) are referenced in later seasons.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Spacebump posted:

I decided to save DS9 for now.

Look, DS9 was the overall best Star Trek, but it wasn't god's gift to TV or anything like that. It certainly wasn't The Wire.

"Saving it" like it's some ultimate prize is going overboard, frankly. You're watching a Star Trek series, so you're going to experience Bij.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dead Stop was great. A good premise and a lot of fun.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I stopped watching ds9 early into s6. The overarching narrative got a bit tiring to have to keep going back and reminding myself all the important details from memory alpha.

I just like TNG's dose of 'space philosophy' of the week.

I am going to try to finish it now starting from the s5 finale.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I've been called a reverse racist for not liking Enterprise

Who are these broken people who like Enterprise? Even CBS apologized for Enterprise.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly, I'd say Dead Stop is the more "must see" episode with Minefield as the optional other part for context. Dead Stop brilliantly makes space this terrifying place where totally insane poo poo happens, like "gently caress, maybe we really weren't ready to be out here."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Honestly, I'd say Dead Stop is the more "must see" episode with Minefield as the optional other part for context. Dead Stop brilliantly makes space this terrifying place where totally insane poo poo happens, like "gently caress, maybe we really weren't ready to be out here."

This should really have been the entire premise of the show. Just exploring and seeing the amazing world of OTHER PLANETS and aliens from a near future context, and making the humdrum Alpha Quadrant really new and exciting.

The show had that amazing thing in the pilot where they went to the alien bazaar and showed wonder and coolness and they never managed to do that again. It was all Future Guy time war poo poo and Xindi 9/11 crap. Then by the time it got cool with Shran and more blinkenlights on the bridge, it was gone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
My dad - who I watched TNG with when I was a kid - didn't like DS9 because it's a "soap opera in space" and I heard that sentiment a lot.

Other than people I've got into it I've never met a DS9 fan in reality. If a person says they like star trek it pretty much always means Voyager

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All the best early Enterprise episodes were the "wow what the gently caress we are in way over our head" ones like Dead Stop. I agree they should've used that more. Again, like Voyager, the cardinal sin was not committing to the premise.

I loved that first battle when their lovely firework torpedo just bounced off the enemy ship and they got absolutely clowned. More of that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

All the best early Enterprise episodes were the "wow what the gently caress we are in way over our head" ones like Dead Stop. I agree they should've used that more. Again, like Voyager, the cardinal sin was not committing to the premise.

I loved that first battle when their lovely firework torpedo just bounced off the enemy ship and they got absolutely clowned. More of that.
That first post-pilot episode is decent because they get so easily outclassed by an enemy and we don’t even get to know much about them, so they are more threatening. But instead the writers insisted on the stupid TCW crap

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Enterprise would have been so much better if they took a ten year break after Voyager ended. Enterprise, as a show, just reeked of Franchise Fatigue from day one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DS9 I think had aged well because, as said, it suits today's viewing habits better; ongoing plot and heavy continuity, an ensemble cast with rotating focus, strong emphasis on worldbuilding and personal arcs. (for the most part) Hell, it's got a touch of Game of Thrones in space going on, at least when the Klingons are around.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

D'gor was the Tywin of Qo'noS, shrewdly manipulating finances and people to destroy his political foes.

I imagine Tywin also would have gotten similarly hosed over had a legit accountant existed in Westeros, too.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

MillennialVulcan posted:

Incredible posts by Forums User Miss in the MSPaint Spaceships GBS thread.

but specifically

this reply is the best part of the thread

Who What Now posted:

rabbotic posted:

Why is this spaceship so thicc

Admiral, my Galaxy-class starship is dummy thicc, and the clap of it's nacelles keeps alerting the romulans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Enterprise would have been so much better if they took a ten year break after Voyager ended. Enterprise, as a show, just reeked of Franchise Fatigue from day one.
In ‘The 50 Year Mission Book 2’, Brannon Braga said that was exactly what happened. He was burned out from doing Voyager but took the ENT showrunner job anyway.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yessssssssssss

Truly the next series I want to see on CBS All Access

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hahahahaha it's been a while since we revisited the adventures of Hyperriker and the Enterprise-JFAZW

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the Enterprise-JFAZW

How many Enterprises down the line is this?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

McSpanky posted:

How many Enterprises down the line is this?

quote:

The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-JFAZW) was a Shatner-class Federation starship commanded by Dark Admiral Jean-Luc Hyperriker. It was commissioned in the year 14205, the 4,201,337th Federation ship to bear the name Enterprise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ashpanash posted:

The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-JFAZW) was a Shatner-class Federation starship commanded by Dark Admiral Jean-Luc Hyperriker. It was commissioned in the year 14205, the 4,201,337th Federation ship to bear the name Enterprise.

This is the best paragraph in all Fandom.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-JFAZW) was a Shatner-class Federation starship commanded by Dark Admiral Jean-Luc Hyperriker. It was commissioned in the year 14205, the 4,201,337th Federation ship to bear the name Enterprise.

Hmm but does that include the NX-01?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Hmm but does that include the NX-01?

Federation ships only

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dark Admiral! That was it. I couldn't remember what kind of admiral he was.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I think Discovery has lost me now. I watched that Saru episode (which wasn't bad or anything!) and just haven't even touched it after. It's not that season 2 is bad, it's just not the sort of show I'm after. Like I said earlier it really reminds me of Nu-Who and doesn't feel like a new Star Trek, I dunno.
I hope that this sort of action-save the world feel isn't how the new Picard show goes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Hopefully the Georgiou show will be the action-focused spinoff, and the Picard show the flute-playing and moralistic philosophizing that we all crave.

Who'm I kidding, they're gonna go with Movie Picard and not TV Picard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Hopefully the Georgiou show will be the action-focused spinoff, and the Picard show the flute-playing and moralistic philosophizing that we all crave.

Hopefully P-stew's old enough to want to sit down.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Taear posted:

I think Discovery has lost me now. I watched that Saru episode (which wasn't bad or anything!) and just haven't even touched it after. It's not that season 2 is bad, it's just not the sort of show I'm after. Like I said earlier it really reminds me of Nu-Who and doesn't feel like a new Star Trek, I dunno.
I hope that this sort of action-save the world feel isn't how the new Picard show goes.

Nu-Saru encourages fist fights in the mess hall. He never would have done that before kelpian menopause.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

I'm going to say I'm shocked there's even a section 31 show in the making. I dunno about in the US but Discovery barely seems to get mentioned here. None of the Netflix promotional stuff we get at work talks about it, nobody mentions watching it, it's not in lists of most watched treks.
I wish they'd give us some concrete figures.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nu-Saru encourages fist fights in the mess hall. He never would have done that before kelpian menopause.

Okay, I dunno what that has to do with what I said!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Taear posted:

I'm going to say I'm shocked there's even a section 31 show in the making. I dunno about in the US but Discovery barely seems to get mentioned here. None of the Netflix promotional stuff we get at work talks about it, nobody mentions watching it, it's not in lists of most watched treks.
I wish they'd give us some concrete figures.

The only other place I see STD talked about in the wild is on my friends Facebook page where he makes fun of the people bitching about the show.

It was renewed for a third season so it's either making enough money to pay for production between subs and Netflix or CBS reality just wants it around as a nerd flagship while they figure out how to get all of the Olds to subscribe to watch Andy Griffin and the NCIS back catalog.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

8one6 posted:

The only other place I see STD talked about in the wild is on my friends Facebook page where he makes fun of the people bitching about the show.

It was renewed for a third season so it's either making enough money to pay for production between subs and Netflix or CBS reality just wants it around as a nerd flagship while they figure out how to get all of the Olds to subscribe to watch Andy Griffin and the NCIS back catalog.

I mean the CBS figures don't include the rest of the world, how's it playing here? That's what I want to know.
Honestly the only people I know who've talked about it said they tried it then never touched it again. While I'm not saying that's everyone it's a lot easier to do that here because you've got Netflix anyway, you're not subscribing specifically for Discovery, if you see what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"People I know aren't talking about it" is a spectacularly bad barometer for how well a show is doing. I know literally zero people who watched Big Bang Theory (including myself) and welp.

(My one IRL friend who enjoys Star Trek is also really loving Discovery so ymmv).