Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

TheScott2K posted:

love it when the blue checks fall rear end-first into being right about something

https://twitter.com/aleximurdoch/status/1106922062982066176

https://twitter.com/aleximurdoch/status/1106947813294907394

"I'M not defending the elites, YOU'RE defending the elites also I have thousands more twitter followers than you so sit down and know your place!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Endorph posted:

what if we put chelsea clinton and meghan mccain in a room with a muslim woman and the first person to make eye contact without talking around her got to be president of staten island

What if we put Chelsea Clinton and Meghan McCain in a room together to have a lively televised debate, then lock the door, forget to turn the camera on, and we all forget to unlock the door.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

What if we put Chelsea Clinton and Meghan McCain in a room together to have a lively televised debate, then lock the door, forget to turn the camera on, and we all forget to unlock the door.

Can we also release a pissed-off raccoon into the room?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Sure, Sarah Huckabee can be there too.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Oh Snapple! posted:

it is extremely important to me to believe that an exceptionally privileged white person is a good person at heart

I think the extreme privilege is a big part of this. I don't think Chelsea Clinton was setting out to place a controversial inter-party marker. She usually pops up to say what's already been said in a slightly-nicer and slightly-more-condescending way to demonstrate that 1) she still here (in case anyone's looking to fund a candidate) and 2) taking the high road you guys. She runs in circles of the Democratic party and cross-party social bipartisanship where AIPAC=Judaism.

1glitch0 posted:

This works as a comeuppance because they'd spend the first three hours agreeing on everything and thinking they've shown the world how center-right works for everyone only to find out the truth.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What are the odds Daughter of Clinton falls backwards into being a Fox personality in several years?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Syfe posted:

I find it galling that governments around the world still continue to allow the sale/use training of weapons which have one design, to kill other people.

I understand the ones that have a hunting purpose, that's different, those people actually use those guns. Generally, usually, on hunting. For me it seems to be the perplexing issue of, why buy something that has a very specific use without ever using it. It's human nature to want to use it, you've bought it, considered what it does. They don't buy them because they're all secretly super engineers who appreciate the solid engineering of this mass death machine. It's because someday they're going to not be able to resist trying it out.

Can you imagine buying a crockpot, but you never use it, you tell people about it, it's a major hobby even, you show people when they come over. Go over it's uses and settings and poo poo. But hey, it's not going to get used. As somebody who has bought games for collecting purposes I even know that when it's the only copy I have, I can sit there and mull over opening it. I no longer even collect to that degree, I just open it and play the goddamn thing. But a gun that's sole purpose is to wound/maim/kill other people, then there is only one kind of mulling that has to occur. I guarantee that just owning a non-hunting gun that never gets used causes all sorts of psychosis to bubble forth.

So it's really sad to see governments either shrug or vehemently defend the right to have their constituents boil a personal mental illness around murder.

Most people that have a ton of ARs do use them. They shoot them all the time, whether it be at the range or on their own land. I understand your point is 'these are made for killing people' but a lot of gun owners see that as a worst case scenario and find it fun to target shoot. Obviously this isnt an excuse for semi auto rifles to be available for sale or exist in any capacity, but to say they arent used is kind of disingenuous.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Groovelord Neato posted:

defending the rich and powerful is so strange to me. these people are totally divorced from the reality we inhabit. do you think for a second chelsea had the self-awareness to think hmmm this might be a bad idea considering that poo poo i helped stir up about omar? a normal person would've had that thought and i don't believe for a second it ever crossed her mind until that student confronted her.

This is not a feature only the rich possess. All classes do it. Hell you can even watch poo poo like this happen right here on the forums. In this very thread even...they usually earn probes

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

1glitch0 posted:

Sure, Sarah Huckabee can be there too.

"Raccoon" is a tremendous compliment and upgrade for Sarah.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Crabtree posted:

What are the odds Daughter of Clinton falls backwards into being a Fox personality in several years?

0? As much as leftists hate her the right wing media machine has groomed their audience to loathe the word “Clinton” for like 30 years.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Zero? She's got plenty of other options in that circus.

Chelsea was overly critical of Omar and definitely reached conspiracy theory levels in lyrical analysis searching for antisemitic dog whistles when doubling down on her position, but she's still in a different league as a human in comparison to the rot that festers in FOXNEWS.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Crabtree posted:

Unless the Overton window shifts so suddenly leftward that the right wing of 2025 is the center of now then absolutely zero. Don’t be dumb.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crabtree posted:

It would be MSNBC.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:toot:

https://twitter.com/binaryisnoughty/status/1106871858710761472

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Midgetskydiver posted:

gently caress Chelsea for even showing up there as if her presence was in any way requested or needed. Her only plausible motivation is pure selfishness and that alone makes her vile and worthy of scorn.

if people know who you are, you can't show up at things or you're doing it for the attention, nothing else is possible

You wouldn't even know about it if she hadn't been confronted. Everything about this is stupid

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Never. Fox hates the Clintons more than the Clintons hate liberals. The left does that “enemy of my enemy” poo poo because they’re gullible. The right is an unending mass of calcified hatred that would spit its last breath at its foes on principle.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Chelsea's a better fit for the aggressively centrist CNN.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

nine-gear crow posted:

Never. Fox hates the Clintons more than the Clintons hate liberals. The left does that “enemy of my enemy” poo poo because they’re gullible. The right is an unending mass of calcified hatred that would spit its last breath at its foes on principle.

Because if she continues to find ways to poo poo on progressives and Muslims I could see her and Daughter of McCain actually have that interview just so fox can have "Even Millennials Agree Omar is Bad" footage.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nine-gear crow posted:

fox news types hated obama but absolutely loved obama's awful brother.

https://twitter.com/ObamaMalik/status/809791132976775168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E809791132976775168

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Most people that have a ton of ARs do use them. They shoot them all the time, whether it be at the range or on their own land. I understand your point is 'these are made for killing people' but a lot of gun owners see that as a worst case scenario and find it fun to target shoot. Obviously this isnt an excuse for semi auto rifles to be available for sale or exist in any capacity, but to say they arent used is kind of disingenuous.

Perhaps, I am talking about their use in specific. Though I can see your point, to me basically hobbiest guns should be for hunting, I barely feel okay about handgun ranges for the fun of it, I personally feel it's a thin line. But I'll admit I don't delve too deep personally into the hobby to know how safe that one is from some level of mental illness.

But honestly, once you start getting into bigger and more complex weapons and peripherals, where more and more it divorces from handguns at the range to just weapons testing and training. This doubles down with other things in our culture as well that I think perpetuate the illusions of grandeur with killing sprees. But I still feel like, with an AR, with something more, you're not hobbying anymore. You don't buy a gun that can kill x people a minute to shoot at the range for funzies, and even if people do just quietly enjoy them, the amount of ticking time bombs it creates to allow the private sale of those weapons in your culture, is just not worth it. (unless it's a conservative politician of course, where their illusion of grandeur seems to be controlling those mentally ill masses)

Syfe fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 16, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's kind of boggling how people here forgot about right wing media making GBS threads on Chelsea when she was just a kid when her dad was president. I doubt she has any love for Fox

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

the kids are alright. That takes some serious stupid bravery, but good on him.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

theflyingorc posted:

if people know who you are, you can't show up at things or you're doing it for the attention, nothing else is possible

You wouldn't even know about it if she hadn't been confronted. Everything about this is stupid

You're being not just deliberately but aggressively ignorant of context here, and it's not a fantastic look.

Syfe posted:

You don't buy a gun that can kill x people a minute to shoot at the range for funzies.

Many people do. You seem to have just sort of decided how people interact with guns, without actually having any experience with gun owners.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Besesoth posted:

You're being not just deliberately but aggressively ignorant of context here, and it's not a fantastic look.
Nobody goes to a vigil because they care, got it

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This works as a comeuppance because they'd spend the first three hours agreeing on everything and thinking they've shown the world how center-right works for everyone only to find out the truth.

I think I'm coming up with an idea of a Black Mirror episode where all tv pundits are separated from the rest of us and they just tweet and text among themselves and go to various tv studios in a giant building where they think they're going on tv, but none of it is being broadcast and the final scene is that the outside world has become a beautiful utopia without them.

edit: Let's hellban every talking head.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 16, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Sure, so long as you dont suggest the room be filled with concrete. That's a super serious clearly credible threat that'll get you banned.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Syfe posted:

Perhaps, I am talking about their use in specific. Though I can see your point, to me basically hobbiest guns should be for hunting, I barely feel okay about handgun ranges for the fun of it, I personally feel it's a thin line. But I'll admit I don't delve too deep personally into the hobby to know how safe that one is from some level of mental illness.

But honestly, once you start getting into bigger and more complex weapons and peripherals, where more and more it divorces from handguns at the range to just weapons testing and training. This doubles down with other things in our culture as well that I think perpetuate the illusions of grandeur with killing sprees. But I still feel like, with an AR, with something more, you're not hobbying anymore. You don't buy a gun that can kill x people a minute to shoot at the range for funzies, and even if people do just quietly enjoy them, the amount of ticking time bombs it creates to allow the private sale of those weapons in your culture, is just not worth it. (unless it's a conservative politician of course, where their illusion of grandeur seems to be controlling those mentally ill masses)

The thing with a lot of hobbies is the deeper you go and more into it you are the more complex or esoteric it becomes. This is true whether you collect video games (hey guys anyone ever see a spectrum before?/check out my monster rig with crossfire graphics cards) or guns (hey guys check out all this tacticool poo poo I have on my AR/look at this mini14 I have from vietnam). I know this sounds absolutely insane if you're from a country with actual gun laws, and that's because it is.

I dont disagree with you. My position is melt them all down but I have to play by the rules we currently have, so maybe we could start curbstomping anything that can chamber more then 5 rounds because who the gently caress needs a 20 round magazine unless you're doing a mass shooting?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Besesoth posted:

Many people do. You seem to have just sort of decided how people interact with guns, without actually having any experience with gun owners.

Oh I've definitely interacted with gun owners before, mainly hunting, who seem to be hunting specific, but mostly sane.

The people who I've met who don't hunt but own guns, have all been generally a little unhinged. One guy in my classes when I was in journalism, literally only wrote think peices about guns, tied guns into all his stories, his laptop background was like a different gun every week. My experience is that currently I have not seen his name in the news, but that doesn't mean that I don't think that dude was a bit unhinged and has the potential just based on his obsession to be one of the random number generator countdown that just cracks. It's just not worth it.

But that's why I didn't bother bringing up ancedotal evidence into my argument. Bias, perhaps. But, my bias is that it isn't necessary in society, it seems like the normalization of a hobby that shouldn't be.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

Sure, so long as you dont suggest the room be filled with concrete. That's a super serious clearly credible threat that'll get you banned.

Well yeah, why would you wanna hurt a poor racoon

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Eggboy movie when?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Beep boop why fun to blast poo poo?

OF COURSE exploding inanimate objects with guns is fun, and the bigger and crazier the better. See action movies and video games for details.

That doesn't justify lax gun laws AT ALL, because moronic fun potential doesn't trump public safety. Destroying poo poo with C4 is probably a hoot too, but Wal-Mart doesn't need to be selling that poo poo either.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Beep boop why fun to blast poo poo?

OF COURSE exploding inanimate objects with guns is fun, and the bigger and crazier the better. See action movies and video games for details.

That doesn't justify lax gun laws AT ALL, because moronic fun potential doesn't trump public safety. Destroying poo poo with C4 is probably a hoot too, but Wal-Mart doesn't need to be selling that poo poo either.

I’ve heard nuclear blasts can be rather beautiful in terms of color. That said

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PneumonicBook posted:

The thing with a lot of hobbies is the deeper you go and more into it you are the more complex or esoteric it becomes. This is true whether you collect video games (hey guys anyone ever see a spectrum before?/check out my monster rig with crossfire graphics cards) or guns (hey guys check out all this tacticool poo poo I have on my AR/look at this mini14 I have from vietnam). I know this sounds absolutely insane if you're from a country with actual gun laws, and that's because it is.

I dont disagree with you. My position is melt them all down but I have to play by the rules we currently have, so maybe we could start curbstomping anything that can chamber more then 5 rounds because who the gently caress needs a 20 round magazine unless you're doing a mass shooting?

Yeah gun ownership has normalized a ton of really bizarre stuff where it is just normal and basically expected for most ~gun enthusiasts~ to have 10+ guns and a closet with like 5000+ rounds of ammunition and that doesn't strike most people as especially remarkable.

It's entirely politically untenable, but imo gun ownership, if even allowed, should be for one or two guns at most. Also regulate the gently caress out of ammunition, people shouldn't be stockpiling 1000+ rounds (and yeah I know how much ammo you can go through in an afternoon of shooting ARs, imo the ubiquity of ARs has normalized a lot of the weirder poo poo in gun culture). Personally, and i say this as a gun owner, I'd be fine with extremely limited amounts of ammo being allowed to be kept at home and all other ammo should be bought at a range where it will be kept/used.

Even in some fantasy ~defending mah family~ bullshit scenario, no one is using more than 5 or 10 shotgun shells or having to reload a handgun (probably even once, much less more than once).

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 16, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
oh huh, donald trump did not in fact make it to the end of his term with zero vetoes

presumably i missed his veto of the anti-emergency-declaration resolution in the thread, and it wasn't just ignored in favor of this week's Clinton Hate

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Besesoth posted:

Hi, lifelong Virginian here (not NoVA). Literally every "responsible gun owner" daydreams about using it to kill someone "in self-defense." Every single one. I know these people.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh huh, donald trump did not in fact make it to the end of his term with zero vetoes

presumably i missed his veto of the anti-emergency-declaration resolution in the thread, and it wasn't just ignored in favor of this week's Clinton Hate

I think the veto itself was overshadowed by his comments, which were not unlike the Christchurch terrorist's views.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Hi, lifelong Virginian here (not NoVA). Literally every "responsible gun owner" daydreams about using it to kill someone "in self-defense." Every single one. I know these people.

I know a few people that own guns in WV that just have like, one rifle for season and probably don't have those daydreams, but everyone who self-identifies as a "gun owner" is definitely this type.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Zerilan posted:

I know a few people that own guns in WV that just have like, one rifle for season and probably don't have those daydreams, but everyone who self-identifies as a "gun owner" is definitely this type.

The thing is, with people who hunt, the hobby is hunting, not the gun.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zerilan posted:

Yeah imo the best gun owners are the ones that you know for a decade before you ever even know it. IMO regulations around guns should account for the needs of rural folks, but some dude in NYC 1000% does not need a loving arsenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody goes to a vigil because they care, got it

:laffo: if you think Chelsea Clinton showed up for any other reason beyond getting her name out there