Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know people in real life who watch it and like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah my boss and a few of my good friends watch it, and they’re a mix of casuals and hardcore trek nerds

Opinions vary across the board, but they watch it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The people I know IRL who watch it are mostly not Trek nerds at all, with the exception of FCA. I will probably never watch the first season for reasons he warned me about but the second one looks pretty good from what I've heard.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

The only other place I see STD talked about in the wild is on my friends Facebook page where he makes fun of the people bitching about the show.

It was renewed for a third season so it's either making enough money to pay for production between subs and Netflix or CBS reality just wants it around as a nerd flagship while they figure out how to get all of the Olds to subscribe to watch Andy Griffin and the NCIS back catalog.

We'll never really know what the numbers are like but I bet they're not great since they shat themselves and made everything about Spock

I know two people personally that like STD but one is severely mentally ill and the other is deeply nihlistic so lmao

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wooow, leaning on Spock? that is just crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6OR6PMvoU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

Nice. I remember that promo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My family who enjoys Star Trek tried to watch Discovery but gave up and won't try any more because according to them everyone was a jerk and nobody was likeable and there wasn't even a tiny bit of fun.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There's a difference between doing a two parter multiple seasons into your show after you've established your own characters and setting, and quickly sweeping as much of your first season under the rug as possible in your finale so you can get to the Big Nerd Reference as a hook for the next year

poo poo reeks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Literally one of our admins said her favorite thing about Discovery is that they're exploring Spock's family more

I thought of you turds :buddy:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Discovery: where we boldly go (and retcon the poo poo out of) literally the most previously explored and fleshed-out places in the entire fictional universe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Counterpoint: Discovery Spock is rad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I loved that brain scanner device with the floating orbs. Yes! More of that weird poo poo please.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

We'll never really know what the numbers are like but I bet they're not great since they shat themselves and made everything about Spock

I know two people personally that like STD but one is severely mentally ill and the other is deeply nihlistic so lmao

So they're Star Trek fans.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Disco Spock is much better than Quinto Spock but he's stuck in a bad show. STD isn't irredeemable by any means but it's basically been clumsily doing major surgery on itself virtually from the moment it began (not without cause) and the result is some kind of loving wacked out gigabudget Frankenstein's monster of a show that has absolutely none of the appeal of 90s Trek and only sporadically any appeal at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Disco Spock is much better than Quinto Spock but he's stuck in a bad show. STD isn't irredeemable by any means but it's basically been clumsily doing major surgery on itself virtually from the moment it began (not without cause) and the result is some kind of loving wacked out gigabudget Frankenstein's monster of a show that has absolutely none of the appeal of 90s Trek and only sporadically any appeal at all.

so better than voyager and enterprise, worse than tos, tng, and ds9. seems to be what I hear.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty illogical to have a beard

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

so better than voyager and enterprise, worse than tos, tng, and ds9. seems to be what I hear.

Imagine a bad episode of Voyager stretched out over a whole season, and also you swallowed a lot of expired cough medicine, that's basically the STD experience. I think that makes it worse than the worst of 90s trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah look at least Voyager had Mulgrew and Picardo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

It's pretty illogical to have a beard

It's actually illogical to continually shave something that will grow regardless. Either get those pores deactivated or go Full Vulcan Mountain Man. See also Spock's disgusting long-rear end nails.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Yeah look at least Voyager had Mulgrew and Picardo.

Don't get me wrong STD has a lot of talented actors and actresses too, most of the problems are from a writing and production standpoint but aside from maybe Doug Jones there's nobody in the show who really stands out

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
is it as gay as "Tapestry"?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Pick posted:

This rules.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tighclops posted:

Don't get me wrong STD has a lot of talented actors and actresses too, most of the problems are from a writing and production standpoint but aside from maybe Doug Jones there's nobody in the show who really stands out

I mean, Tilly and Pike at the very least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick posted:

is it as gay as "Tapestry"?

Objectively gayer

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

skasion posted:

Objectively gayer

Gayer than “Chimera”?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Objectively gayer

woah better calibrate your sensors skasion, your readings seem highly improbable

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drone posted:

"People I know aren't talking about it" is a spectacularly bad barometer for how well a show is doing. I know literally zero people who watched Big Bang Theory (including myself) and welp.

(My one IRL friend who enjoys Star Trek is also really loving Discovery so ymmv).

I know, that's why I want some numbers.
I work for a big TV company in the UK so I talk to LOADS of people about that sort of thing though, it's not like it's only a few.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Quantum Gaydar

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Season two Disco is about on par with a decent TNG season, except that decent TNG season also took a bunch of psychedelics.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i liked DISCO 1 but i was not watching a lot of telly then. having since binged DS9, DISCO 1 would probably not hold up but i am currently quite enjoying DISCO 2 though there was one episode this season everybody here seemed to quite like but i could not get into due to the lovely dialog. i also did not mind the lord of the rings orc klingon episode which was not well received. what i am saying is that i have no taste and my recommendation means nothing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Season two Disco is about on par with a decent TNG season, except that decent TNG season also took a bunch of psychedelics.

Decent is doing a lot of lifting in this claim.

I could agree that the best episodes of Disco are as good as an average episode from one of the less good bookending TNG seasons, but there are individual episodes of TNG even in the Bad Seasons that outshine anything Disco has done thus far.

I guess what I'm saying is thus far both the average and the peaks go to TNG (or DS9) over Disco, even though Disco does have peaks

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Disco Spock is much better than Quinto Spock

This is not a terribly high bar to clear.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Decent is doing a lot of lifting in this claim.

I could agree that the best episodes of Disco are as good as an average episode from one of the less good bookending TNG seasons, but there are individual episodes of TNG even in the Bad Seasons that outshine anything Disco has done thus far.

I guess what I'm saying is thus far both the average and the peaks go to TNG (or DS9) over Disco, even though Disco does have peaks

It's like a good episode of Doctor Who.
It just doesn't feel comparable to TNG/DS9, they're absolutely different genres to me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

It's like a good episode of Doctor Who.
It just doesn't feel comparable to TNG/DS9, they're absolutely different genres to me.

Yeah generally, but I think the difference is that, at least on some level, Disco is trying to be compared to Trek, not Dr Who.

And sometimes it actually comes close. I wish there was more than a half hearted "Feds R Good" speech once in a while, though. SHOW US. It's not called a "TV tell"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

lol but seriously I posted:

i liked DISCO 1 but i was not watching a lot of telly then.

Tilly, it's spelled Tilly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

Yeah generally, but I think the difference is that, at least on some level, Disco is trying to be compared to Trek, not Dr Who.

And sometimes it actually comes close. I wish there was more than a half hearted "Feds R Good" speech once in a while, though. SHOW US. It's not called a "TV tell"

They might get close but they'll never do more than pay lip service to the kinds of ideals the previous shows would at least aspire to lest the writers offend or frighten their bosses

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So my wife now really likes Star Trek after we went through a curated Original Series viewing and we are currently going through the best of the movies.

I'm going to start watching Next Gen with her, but need a bit some help coming up with a sort of definitive 20 or so episodes to watch. Any recommendations or fan lists would be welcome.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

So my wife now really likes Star Trek after we went through a curated Original Series viewing and we are currently going through the best of the movies.

I'm going to start watching Next Gen with her, but need a bit some help coming up with a sort of definitive 20 or so episodes to watch. Any recommendations or fan lists would be welcome.

Just watch it all or the good stuff won't mean as much.
And if you skip season 1 you won't understand why people hate Wesley.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Best-of lists are lame, just watch all of it and if an episode is boring you, browse Facebook or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it might sound counterintuitive but if I had to make a 20 episode run of TNG or DS9 I would likely leave out the very best episodes (and I mean make you tear up even after a dozen viewings good) because they wouldn't be meaningful without having been earned.

I understand 7 seasons is a lot, but I hate tiny lists like that. It works for TOS, but eeeh