Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sir Lemming posted:

Best-of lists are lame, just watch all of it and if an episode is boring you, browse Facebook or something.

You should absolutely skip Code of Honor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah I could name 20 to skip, just not 20 to watch

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Saru is pretty ok, I like the portrayal of Pike, season 2 Michael is considerably better. The rest of the crew exist.

Having a stupid season long arc with ~ the red angel~ sucks, as does everything involving section 31 and I'm definitely not a fan of retconning Spock's family, especially how shittily they've done Sarek

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Seriously, if you're trying to distill something like TNG or DS9 to 20 episodes apiece, just... don't bother watching it at all.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It sucks to just be like "watch everything you cowards" but honestly I feel like a dick trying to cherry-pick just a few episodes when it's like, the whole experience the bad with the good that you need

And you do need it, even if you think you don't you do otherwise you won't ever really know

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Drone posted:

You should absolutely skip Code of Honor though.

Yea there's a few that it's worth just dropping and you won't lose anything but even bad ones like Angel One miss the chance to see "Send the pretty man to seduce the important woman" which is a rarity even in stuff now. And it's fun bad rather than "Turn this poo poo off" bad.

Tsaedje posted:

Saru is pretty ok, I like the portrayal of Pike, season 2 Michael is considerably better. The rest of the crew exist.

Having a stupid season long arc with ~ the red angel~ sucks, as does everything involving section 31 and I'm definitely not a fan of retconning Spock's family, especially how shittily they've done Sarek

I like Saru, I like Tilly. Pike is decent.
But the stories are stupid. They already did the "might destroy the universe!!!" bit in season 1 and I feel like this one is doing the same. Being able to just teleport to the beta quadrant and find a bunch of humans or Saru evolving into some Post-Kelpian and all that just feels like too much and the show never has a time to break.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
DS9 Season 3:

House of Quark is an extremely fun episode. Grillka is fantastic.

Second Skin - there's a weird thing with this episode that makes me think they rewrote the last part. If Kira was just an accessory to the plan to unmask a dissident, why was the Obsidian Order trying so hard to convince Kira she's really Cardassian? I guess you could say they were trying to make the most of things and get some secrets out of her, but that seems less interesting. I felt like that was originally the episode's main plot, and the mysterious Kira-body that gets wheeled out of cold storage would turn out to be the Cardassian woman they were trying to convince Kira of being - years before, altered to look Bajoran and replace Kira, but she failed and died.

Civil Defense - holy poo poo Dukat. When he teleports in and starts swaggering like "sup losers?" while everyone's cowering from phaser fire, I could not stop laughing. Creative use of the replicators as deadly weapons too.

Meridian - obviously sucks, but a rare genuinely strong bit of emotional acting from Farrell and Brooks when they say goodbye.

Destiny - nice to have more good Cardassians, and holy poo poo that's Tracy "Sheridan" Scoggins as the hot Cardy with the flowerpot hairdo! Hilarious. I read she liked her make up job so much, she wandered the studio lot and deliberately terrified a busload of schoolkids, lol

Also honorary mention for season 1's the Forsaken. I'm not normally a fan of Lwaxana, but the whole scene in the elevator where she drops her act with Odo is so, so good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

Civil Defense - holy poo poo Dukat. When he teleports in and starts swaggering like "sup losers?" while everyone's cowering from phaser fire, I could not stop laughing. Creative use of the replicators as deadly weapons too.

It is his greatest moment especially when it blows up in his face. so loving great.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
With TNG you're probably better off asking for a list of 20 episodes to skip than 20 episodes to watch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Outrageous Okana is a masterpiece. Fight me IRL.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
demand she watches the whole thing on threat of divorce

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
but let her start with season 3 do not be unreasonable

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Taear posted:

Yea there's a few that it's worth just dropping and you won't lose anything but even bad ones like Angel One miss the chance to see "Send the pretty man to seduce the important woman" which is a rarity even in stuff now. And it's fun bad rather than "Turn this poo poo off" bad.

I like Saru, I like Tilly. Pike is decent.
But the stories are stupid. They already did the "might destroy the universe!!!" bit in season 1 and I feel like this one is doing the same. Being able to just teleport to the beta quadrant and find a bunch of humans or Saru evolving into some Post-Kelpian and all that just feels like too much and the show never has a time to break.

The stakes are too high, too soon and too constantly. Star Trek is best when it's not "the fate of the universe!!!" They've approached more of what I'd like to see with a few episodes but then they ruin it by forcing it to tie in with the fate of the universe shite and really lazy attempts at fanservice in the same bad ways the JJ films did.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

just give them 20 episodes instead of scolding them

code:
The Measure of a Man
Q-Who?
Who Watches the Watchers
The Enemy
The Defector
The Best of Both Worlds I&II
Yesterday's Enterprise
Remember Me
Future Imperfect
Reunion
Darmok
Ensign Ro
Cause and Effect
The Next Phase
The Inner Light
Chain of Command I&II
Face of the Enemy
Tapestry
Lower Decks
All Good Things I&II

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's not scodling you ninny is an honest assessment that you'd be doing the episodes and yourself a disservice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tsaedje posted:

The stakes are too high, too soon and too constantly. Star Trek is best when it's not "the fate of the universe!!!" They've approached more of what I'd like to see with a few episodes but then they ruin it by forcing it to tie in with the fate of the universe shite and really lazy attempts at fanservice in the same bad ways the JJ films did.

My preferred stakes are somewhere between "Masks" and "Move Along Home" with an occasional dash of "Rascals".

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

lol but seriously I posted:

but let her start with season 3 do not be unreasonable

There are a few episodes from s1 and 2 worth watching. Conspiracy from s1 is must watch. In S2, I'd have a hard time telling someone to skip episodes 3, 8-11, 13, 14, 16-18, 20-21.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Spacebump posted:

3, 8-11, 13, 14, 16-18, 20-21.

SELF-DESTRUCT ACTIVATED

5 MINUTES UNTIL SELF-DESTRUCT

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Spacebump posted:

There are a few episodes from s1 and 2 worth watching. Conspiracy from s1 is must watch. In S2, I'd have a hard time telling someone to skip episodes 3, 8-11, 13, 14, 16-18, 20-21.

yes but they can act as a nice bonus. like you watch for the jank & 90s (i know it was the 80s) TOS weirdness and the occasional good poo poo spices things up. obviously she will already be hooked by this point having watched the rest of the series but season three is real strong and a good place to start.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Bloop posted:

it's not scodling you ninny is an honest assessment that you'd be doing the episodes and yourself a disservice
Yeah, for real it's fine. I'm asking for advice. But thanks for the list Pinterest Mom.

I'm open to how much we watch, but we honestly just don't do big TV binges and we really don't want to dedicate ourselves to watching 178 episodes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

code:
The Measure of a Man
Q-Who?
Who Watches the Watchers
The Enemy
The Defector
The Best of Both Worlds I&II
Yesterday's Enterprise
Remember Me
Future Imperfect
Reunion
Darmok
Ensign Ro
Cause and Effect
The Next Phase
The Inner Light
Chain of Command I&II
Face of the Enemy
Tapestry
Lower Decks
All Good Things I&II

Like....what's the point watching measure of a man if you don't even know who Data is? If you're grounded in sci-fi I guess it works but it's not going to be the same. That goes for so much of that list.

Tsaedje posted:

Yea. Like okay in the most recent orville two parter I was prettysure nothing horrible would happen. But it still can. When you're saying the universe will be destroyed it's absolutely 100% clear that's not happening.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

davidspackage posted:

Second Skin - there's a weird thing with this episode that makes me think they rewrote the last part. If Kira was just an accessory to the plan to unmask a dissident, why was the Obsidian Order trying so hard to convince Kira she's really Cardassian? I guess you could say they were trying to make the most of things and get some secrets out of her, but that seems less interesting. I felt like that was originally the episode's main plot, and the mysterious Kira-body that gets wheeled out of cold storage would turn out to be the Cardassian woman they were trying to convince Kira of being - years before, altered to look Bajoran and replace Kira, but she failed and died.

They were in a hurry to get to a place where she was considered non-cooperative and to set off the old man.

They did change the ending though, the original ending was going to have Bashir tell Kira that her actual identity was inconclusive and he couldn't say for sure that she wasn't a cardassian operative.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

They were in a hurry to get to a place where she was considered non-cooperative and to set off the old man.

They did change the ending though, the original ending was going to have Bashir tell Kira that her actual identity was inconclusive and he couldn't say for sure that she wasn't a cardassian operative.

Wow, the Cardassians are super good at that, and everything :hmmyes:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

It involves Dukat, three generations of Bajoran women, and the orb of time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

It involves Dukat, three generations of Bajoran women, and the orb of time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tsaedje posted:

Remember, it wasn't the fate of the universe, it was the fate of the ***multiverse***.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

Remember, it wasn't the fate of the universe, it was the fate of the ***multiverse***.

Next season: the Omniverse

The Omniverse is in danger and only Michael Burnham and Spock and Michael Burnham can save it by jumpstarting the Q Continuum

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

VOY S04E26 ("Hope and Fear") has a good villain speech

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Tighclops posted:

They might get close but they'll never do more than pay lip service to the kinds of ideals the previous shows would at least aspire to lest the writers offend or frighten their bosses

I get that you hate the show, but the claim that this show has execs that are more cowardly than Berman and crew is laughable.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

galenanorth posted:

VOY S04E26 ("Hope and Fear") has a good villain speech

Ray Wise is the best even in chemo patient makeup

Geekboy posted:

I get that you hate the show, but the claim that this show has execs that are more cowardly than Berman and crew is laughable.

I wouldn't say they're more afraid, rather they're just motivated to produce a safe and boring product

Old Story fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 17, 2019

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Old Story posted:

I wouldn't say they're more afraid, rather they're just motivated to produce a safe and boring product

Again: Maybe you don’t like it (and that’s fine), but I don’t understand where this idea comes from.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Geekboy posted:

Again: Maybe you don’t like it (and that’s fine), but I don’t understand where this idea comes from.

I mean, structurally, it's obvious to me that they have less freedom to explore things like character motivation, moral issues and science fiction problems than in previous Trek iterations

When Trek was in its TV prime networks were still hungry for content to fill screens. So you get 25 episode seasons where they were still literally accepting interesting fan scripts just to fill time slots, and this resulted in lots of weird but interesting conceptual episodes they took risks on weird poo poo

Now it's high budget 10-episode arcs with loving Alex Kurtzmann at the helm where the stakes are always "all life in the galaxy will die" stuff in a subscription-only model where it has to appeal to the widest possible audience or die a slow commercial death

Also, I don't hate DIS! I am in a 50-year relationship with a TV series where, while we have our ups and downs, we will both survive this rough patch

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Old Story posted:

I mean, structurally, it's obvious to me that they have less freedom to explore things like character motivation, moral issues and science fiction problems than in previous Trek iterations

No but they showed a cock and said gently caress and did war crimes so that makes it grown up and relevant

For real I'm glad this show acknowledges that gay people exist but it's deepest cuts are embarrassingly shallow compared even to contemporary genre fiction and for that reason even when they pivot away from the grimdark stuff it still feels empty

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I mean, I’d love to see more and all, but we have a bridge crew that’s more women than ever, way more women behind the scenes than ever before, more people of color on and off-screen than ever before, the cast and writers straight up talking about things like the 13th amendment allowing the prison system to put people into modern-day slavery (heard Sonequa Martin-Green on a panel today in Seattle and was kinda surprised she just went all the at there, but she did) ...

It could still be better, but everyone I’ve seen involved with the show is saying “we did our best, but we want to do even better.” They talk about the legacy of Trek and what the burden of that means to them. They all care very much about this being the most diverse and inclusive entry so far.

I understand you don’t like the show. I can see some of your reasons and just disagree with you. This one, I think you’re just wrong.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
m m marketing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Inclusive, diverse grimdark fascism.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Inclusive, diverse grimdark fascism.

I think it’s time to get some new writers. This material is getting really stale.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

SELF-DESTRUCT ACTIVATED

5 MINUTES UNTIL SELF-DESTRUCT

Thanks a lot Gonz, now everyone knows!

Old Story posted:

Also, I don't hate DIS! I am in a 50-year relationship with a TV series where, while we have our ups and downs, we will both survive this rough patch

This is a hideously unhealthy way to relate to fiction.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Geekboy posted:

I think it’s time to get some new writers. This material is getting really stale.

It's the truth.
"More women prison guards" doesn't make the system not poo poo, and DiS isn't very star trek at all. I'm glad there are more POC and women in it but it'd be better if that was the case with a show that was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I mean, I’d love to see more and all, but we have a bridge crew that’s more women than ever, way more women behind the scenes than ever before, more people of color on and off-screen than ever before, the cast and writers straight up talking about things like the 13th amendment allowing the prison system to put people into modern-day slavery (heard Sonequa Martin-Green on a panel today in Seattle and was kinda surprised she just went all the at there, but she did) ...

Yeah they're talking about it in part because the show showed that apparently the loving Federation in Star Trek uses prison slave labor gently caress Discovery.