Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hwurmp posted:

Sounds like you need something to carry the moon.

Why can the clouds hold the moon, but Baba can't?

Arrange your rules and that third IS so you can have CLOUD is STOP, BABA is STOP, and BABA is YOU all at once. From there it's just a matter of positioning your Babas.

:doh: I didn't think to have CLOUD IS STOP and BABA IS STOP at the same time, I was trying to turn clouds into babas and go from there, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I am absolutely stumped on Ruins-5:

BABA is YOU and WEAK seems like the first step, since there is a hardcoded BABA is BABA and no other objects around. But it feels like I don't have the text and space to define multiple YOU since {HAS} takes up the space below BABA, and trying to redefine YOU as I die to WEAK doesn't work at all (text push resolves before WEAK). What am I doing wrong here?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I accidentally found where they hid the credits and also found an insane secret on the world map.

there's still so much more

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Baba is still best so we're good

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I feel extremely smart figuring out the answer to Broken Playground. The TEXT block is quite something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Einwand posted:

I feel extremely smart figuring out the answer to Broken Playground. The TEXT block is quite something.

I wondered if I totally broke that level or what

I'll be curious to see alternate solutions to some of these someday

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I'm having a lot of fun with BABA, it's very creative and lighthearted but also very challenging at times.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I understand what GROUP means when used as an object, but does it do anything as a subject aside from when it modifies YOU? It lights up but I can't tell what it accomplishes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Okay something's screwy with words being pushed by multiple entities at once, I think it's behaving inconsistently. (Spoilers for further fields)

This exact setup just worked earlier, the level's marked as solved. Except now that I'm trying to record a GIF of my solution the word is getting pushed through the other BABA rather than getting snatched away.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Okay something's screwy with words being pushed by multiple entities at once, I think it's behaving inconsistently. (Spoilers for further fields)

This exact setup just worked earlier, the level's marked as solved. Except now that I'm trying to record a GIF of my solution the word is getting pushed through the other BABA rather than getting snatched away.

Nice easter egg rear end IS EAT

President Ark
May 16, 2010

(not really a spoiler, relevant solution statements were cropped out)

BABA IS LEGION :unsmigghh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone give me a clear explanation of what SHIFT does. I just encountered it and I'm having a tough time understanding it's behavior

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Can someone give me a clear explanation of what SHIFT does. I just encountered it and I'm having a tough time understanding it's behavior

Anything that overlaps the SHIFTer gets pushed into the block that the SHIFTer is facing. It makes more sense when the SHIFTer happens to be the conveyor belt.

gmq posted:

Nice easter egg rear end IS EAT

Ahahahahahahaha 100% accidental, amazing.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Anything that overlaps the SHIFTer gets pushed into the block that the SHIFTer is facing. It makes more sense when the SHIFTer happens to be the conveyor belt.

note that everything is facing a direction, including things that don't have directional sprites

e: someone please make an rear end IS EAT smiley, tia

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 16, 2019

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

The Bloop posted:

It forces any object that touches the shift object to move in the direction the shift object is facing. So if you move BABA onto a right-facing conveyor BELT that IS currently SHIFT, baba will move to the right of the conveyor belt. This can be kinda confusing when you do things like WALL IS SHIFT, because you can't tell right away which direction it's facing.

It's important to note that this only happens when you're able to occupy the same space as the shift object. So if a conveyor BELT IS SHIFT AND PUSH, you'll only be able to push it, and not be shifted from it, due to push preventing you from standing on it.

I'm sure there are a lot more weird interactions with different text rules that I'm missing, but those are the general rules I've found to be true about shift.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

something that never fails to make me laugh are the nonsense words that get formed when you have two adjective blocks next to each other, like SISH NKIFT or DEFMO EATVE

e: or the lord of weed, BAKE BAKE

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Argue posted:

I need escalating hints for Fall-C, Scenic Pond. I've solved everything else, I'm just stuck on that one. It's the one that starts off with KEKE HAS TEXT. All I've been able to do is swap KEKE and TEXT to give me a keke by pushing TEXT into the pond. I can get a second keke by pushing the IS from IS FLOAT into the water tile, but I'm guessing that IS is needed later since I need to float past the skull.

Edit: PUZZLE IS SOLVED

Edit 2: The next level is a harder variation :negative:

I am also stuck on this level. May I just ask if you end up needing the IS?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

tudabee posted:

I am also stuck on this level. May I just ask if you end up needing the IS?

At last I can be the one giving hints, yes, the IS FLOAT blocks by the water are vital to the solution.

I am also immediately stuck on the harder version of this level right after it. :argh:
EDIT: Oh of course the answer to DEEP POOL is setting up an immortality loop.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 16, 2019

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

In the grand tradition, spoilered hints of escalating explicitness;

Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth.

It is impossible to override the top right rules of BABA IS BABA AND DEFEAT, and GRASS IS DEFEAT.
It is impossible to attach any more predicates to FLAG because there's a WALL in the way.
It is impossible to bring the WIN predicate to the starting side of the GRASS.
It is impossible for anything other than KEKE to be YOU.
Therefore...
You're going to have to find a way to get KEKE across the GRASS, despite GRASS IS DEFEAT and KEKE being the only available YOU.

To get KEKE across the GRASS, YOU are going to have to do something very, very, stupid.

Remember, kids, YOU cannot be DEFEATed if nothing is YOU!

Did you know that you can press A/Space to pass time while in a fail state?

You'll have to use the three BABAs with MOVE to PUSH KEKE across the GRASS.

You'll need to set everything up so that KEKE IS PUSH (but not YOU) during the crossing, but KEKE IS YOU at some point after crossing.

I've shown one way of doing this here. There may be others.

So I started out trying to record my solution to show how finicky it was compared to yours, but it wound up leading me down a rabbit hole of testing to find that conflicts between two MOVE-ing entities trying to push the same object seem to be resolved with entity ID prioritization, so one specific BABA will steal an object from a BABA with a higher entity ID#. A lot of games do this since it's an easy way to resolve these things but it seems like a shame to have a rule that can outright invalidate a solution in a game that's about all the rules being visible:

(Spoilers for the Further Fields puzzle)

The solution is identical each time, but just swapping those two BABAs makes all the difference.

It seems like there should be more true to the spirit of the game to have a 100% consistent mechanic to handle this specific kind of conflict, but I don't know what that'd be.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Hints for chasm-F, lava flood? Can't figure out what I can possibly do on this one

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I JUST SPENT HALF AN HOUR CODING WITH CONVEYOR BELTS THIS IS THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I JUST SPENT HALF AN HOUR CODING WITH CONVEYOR BELTS THIS IS THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD

________/

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

President Ark posted:

Hints for chasm-F, lava flood? Can't figure out what I can possibly do on this one

Hints: Is there something you can do to control the flow of stars?

It helps to take it slow by unmaking STAR IS MORE immediately after making it each time.

Solution:
Position the various solid objects you have (walls, text, and baba) next to the edges of the star mass to limit its expansion. If you move your blockades around some between each step of growth, you can get the stars to reach the LOVE without touching any of the skulls, and from there you're golden.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Zyxyz posted:

Hints: Is there something you can do to control the flow of stars?

It helps to take it slow by unmaking STAR IS MORE immediately after making it each time.

Solution:
Position the various solid objects you have (walls, text, and baba) next to the edges of the star mass to limit its expansion. If you move your blockades around some between each step of growth, you can get the stars to reach the LOVE without touching any of the skulls, and from there you're golden.

yeah that's not the level i'm thinking of, it's this one:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Einwand posted:

At last I can be the one giving hints, yes, the IS FLOAT blocks by the water are vital to the solution.

I am also immediately stuck on the harder version of this level right after it. :argh:
EDIT: Oh of course the answer to DEEP POOL is setting up an immortality loop.

Thank you! Now I may also be stuck on this harder level! :v:

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

President Ark posted:

oh whoops, that's what I get for not opening the game to doublecheck! sorry about that

for that one, hmm... I'm not sure how to hint it without saying it outright, really. You need a way to quickly protect the flag so you can go run off to break the FLAG IS MELT, but you probably already figured that much.

Solution: Push one of the text pieces from FLAG IS WIN directly on top of the flag so that the lava can't enter that space. You can remake the rule safely after you've disabled FLAG IS MELT.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Pigbuster posted:

So I started out trying to record my solution to show how finicky it was compared to yours, but it wound up leading me down a rabbit hole of testing to find that conflicts between two MOVE-ing entities trying to push the same object seem to be resolved with entity ID prioritization, so one specific BABA will steal an object from a BABA with a higher entity ID#. A lot of games do this since it's an easy way to resolve these things but it seems like a shame to have a rule that can outright invalidate a solution in a game that's about all the rules being visible:

(Spoilers for the Further Fields puzzle)

The solution is identical each time, but just swapping those two BABAs makes all the difference.

It seems like there should be more true to the spirit of the game to have a 100% consistent mechanic to handle this specific kind of conflict, but I don't know what that'd be.

This is fascinating! I ended up exploiting this behaviour to beat Dim Signal, though because of exactly this observation I'm not sure this behaviour is intended (or, if it is, I don't think it's very fair of the game to demand). My guess is that the various movements each turn are being resolved in that arbitrary order, and because you can PUSH something through an object that would normally be able to push it but is stationary, this arbitrary situation occurs. So, if two MOVEing entities stand with one space and a PUSH object between them, whichever one moves first will push the object through the other. And if you get the same situation but two squares of distance, then whichever moves second will push the object through the other. Because of these two situations, nothing should ever be completely intractable as long as you can amend your process by spacing the objects differently.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

My hint is: FLAG is NOT PUSH

I feel like I'm in the final stages of the game and man am I really stumped at every turn. There's lots of single levels in various zones I haven't completed but for now the one I'd like a hint for if anyone's gotten that far is Depths 3 - Crushers

I got the flag easily of course, but trying to transform the level has gotten me nowhere. I want to try both BELT and TEXT but first I need to get WEAK out of the way!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oh my god i just found out how to get to that island on the bottom right of the overworld map and it loving killed me laughing

this game is loving amazing

e: OH MY loving GOD

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 17, 2019

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Anyone have hints for Chasm Extra 4: Alley?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

no idea what to do on :siren: actual spoiler kinda :siren: level 2 of glitch world, the one that says VELCOME - my guess was that spelling "LOVE" with the letters was key, but i've tried putting them up to the IS FLAG/IS <3 in both a line and as "LO/VE" and nothing happened

edit: and neither did "E IS WIN"

e: figured it out, this loving game

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 17, 2019

President Ark
May 16, 2010

THIS loving GAME IS SO GOOD OH MY loving GOD

President Ark
May 16, 2010

If you have any doubts about this game, stick it out until you have 7 flowers and can open the doors on the world map, please, for the love of god

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I was liking this game at first, but now it just makes me feel stupid and everyone else is asking about puzzles way ahead(?) of the places I'm stuck. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Tag those spoilers yo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

If you have any doubts about this game, stick it out until you have 7 flowers and can open the doors on the world map, please, for the love of god

And it only gets crazier from there

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I just managed to make BaBa on the world map. This game is so loving stupid with the poo poo you can do.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Dizz posted:

I just managed to make BaBa on the world map. This game is so loving stupid with the poo poo you can do.

it gets better

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Wait. What the gently caress happened to that level?? I don't see it anymore?

e: nvm

e2: WHAT THE gently caress

Dizz fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Does anyone have any hints for Garden-8 Jaywalkers United? I've finished the rest of Garden, but this one has me completely stumped.

EDIT: Solved it, thanks for the clue!

Seeric fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 17, 2019