Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I agree with flerp about lurker guns being terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
people should quit freaking lurking!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Yeah, I realized that I lurked so much in Mafia because it was just too stressful. I post anything and suddenly I have a dozen people clamoring on me saying that I’m scum, and it’s just too much. Too much judgment, too much critique of my tone when my arguments are sound. It’s just the nature of Mafia, though, this interrogation of every post and every action. But I can see how that immense pressure to goodpost can place so much scrutiny on a player, especially one already under suspicion, can lead a player to just disengage, to pull back and lurk because it’s the only thing that feels safe.

The better option is to just not play imho.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Somber wants to wait on it, so I’ll be launching a small-mid size mostly vanilla open setup tonight. It’ll be tied to the game I just ran but you need not have played it to understand what’s going on.

im back

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honestly town didnt play super well i think its lazy to just say "well alasdair didnt play so town lost" when a lot of town play was very sus

ill just list some names but i was NOT impressed by keane, ardulac, merk, pmom or alasdair's play after i died and b-minus seemed to just kind of accept his lynch. the people who tried hardest to win were pander, me, bif, ernie, +/- lumpen. if 3/4 or 4/5 of those players are scum, town isnt going to win. thats facts. i vig'd solus cuz i think its unfair for everyone to have a new player d3 and he was apparently going to push me anyway so obviously hes trash. toalpaz was trying but ragequit, i guess. f_v and foo played ok for d1/d2. i respect merk some and i think he is generally a pretty deec player but he seemed to make some baffling reads that were probably just effort/re-rereading related and also he had to balance a masonry where every remaining player was scum/sk. scum had players who wanted to win more slash post more so they won. im obviously an amazing town player but i play best when i can just "shitpost", find scum, and generally try to convince town to vote them without making real cases, leaving that effort to people willing to be front-runners. that being said my reads werent perfect by any means and i wouldve been down to lynch b-minus next game day like the push went.

anyway lotta words but scum just outplayed town no matter if we had one uber lurker cuz on a whole scum just outefforted town and thats mostly what sa mafia is if the 25% of players who are actually good roll primarily town or scum

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

can anyone honestly say they put more effort scumhunting than pander did fake scumhunting on the last game day after they were almost guaranteed victory?

i spent almost a hour thinking about mafia on day 3 where everyone is like "wow chores youre so good at this game how did you make all these good reads" can anyone say they spent that much effort scumhunting?

its all effort related people. i am naturally more brilliant that everyone whos ever posted but people just need to loving try

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I had a really difficult week coming up and I submitted my exit the evening before I actually found a replacement and left. I did not in fact rage quit, luckily, so my internet honour is preserved.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

look at top posters

1. merk
2. me (multiply my post count by 80% cuz some of them are just dinner chat)
3. kaschei - sk
4. pander - scum
5. bif - scum
6. b-minus (probably multiply this by 80% too)
7. ernie - scum
8. toalpaz - quit mafia forever, also first game
9. lumpen - scum/troll who left on game day 2 or whatever

e f f o r t m a f i a

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

got some chores tonight posted:

honestly town didnt play super well i think its lazy to just say "well alasdair didnt play so town lost" when a lot of town play was very sus

ill just list some names but i was NOT impressed by keane, ardulac, merk, pmom or alasdair's play after i died and b-minus seemed to just kind of accept his lynch. the people who tried hardest to win were pander, me, bif, ernie, +/- lumpen. if 3/4 or 4/5 of those players are scum, town isnt going to win. thats facts. i vig'd solus cuz i think its unfair for everyone to have a new player d3 and he was apparently going to push me anyway so obviously hes trash. toalpaz was trying but ragequit, i guess. f_v and foo played ok for d1/d2. i respect merk some and i think he is generally a pretty deec player but he seemed to make some baffling reads that were probably just effort/re-rereading related and also he had to balance a masonry where every remaining player was scum/sk. scum had players who wanted to win more slash post more so they won. im obviously an amazing town player but i play best when i can just "shitpost", find scum, and generally try to convince town to vote them without making real cases, leaving that effort to people willing to be front-runners. that being said my reads werent perfect by any means and i wouldve been down to lynch b-minus next game day like the push went.

anyway lotta words but scum just outplayed town no matter if we had one uber lurker cuz on a whole scum just outefforted town and thats mostly what sa mafia is if the 25% of players who are actually good roll primarily town or scum

Entschuldigung señor, this is a nandos

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

here's the game:

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2019

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Mafia is de-170 new posts

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Humalong posted:

Mafia is de-170 new posts

ya boy on the defibs

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It’s not sniping to disagree with you, merk. Characterizing it as such doesn’t make you come off as the big man to anyone that matters.

The fundamental solution to all of the nonsense in my game was to not buy into bullshit results and unusual actions and instead make individual reads on players.

The onus was intentionally put upon players to actually play mafia in the face of major obfuscation and *that’s* the effort I was alluding to. We can disagree whether Alasdair could be read in that context (I do feel lurkers can be assessed as a rule) but town didn’t really get into that at all mid to late game anyway, so as far as my view it’s a moot point

Your argument for not modkilling alaster was that "he promised to post more", I thought? Not "it's on the town to deal with him".

He shoulda been modkilled about D3 or D4 to minimize end-game impact. You literally cannot play the game of mafia on the forums if someone refuses to post. It's not a town strategy to to abandon their best weapon to hunt scum (the lynch) for a day, the town should always strive to lynch the scummiest poster, which a player like alaster can't rationally claim to be.

I enjoyed the game, and the town lost because not many of the townies had great reads or the ability to convince others to vote when they did (outside of Chores and maybe SK Kaschei). But I really think you oversold the idea that this was good players bringing their A-game when you let alaster (and to a lesser extent Keane, from D2-D5) do that without any recompense short of the town abandoning scum-hunting in favor of house-cleaning.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pander posted:

Your argument for not modkilling alaster was that "he promised to post more", I thought? Not "it's on the town to deal with him".

I will always step in for cases of extremity. Hurt's no-show into Keane's replacement, for example. At those points I'll encourage self-remedy, which I did here.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

random note

but taste's game had a janitor role that allowed scum to change the flip to say whatever we wanted

and chores figured it out d3? d4? when we'd only used it once or twice

that was a sick read

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I’d compare it most as taking inspiration from Ernie’s final frontier, but less expansive in structure.

funny, as i was playing it i had a similar thought

FF had a lot of meaningless dead-end actions, and this did, too

i think the biggest difference was the size of the games 13 vs. 23 meant players had tons of time in your game to lose momentum

whereas the last 3 game days in FF lasted what 2 real world hours?

i think that was the only significant difference, but otherwise, i think the game ended up going towards what you wanted - i even made a comment d5 or d6 that we should just scumhunt normally, because as scum i thought it was funny i was being accused for doing scummy things that i hadn't done

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

OKAY I have a role madness setup in my back pocket. Just letting thread know.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Toalpaz posted:

Toal madness

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I hate playing Mafia but maybe I could run a game sometime. It’ll be very normal I promise

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Pre-sign if I’m jester

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
i choose to not play the maflia

Max
Nov 30, 2002

got some chores tonight posted:

Weren't you quitting?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
it’s with a heavy heart that im annoucing that i am officially quitting mafia

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
are there any mafia games recruiting?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't really know if this was clear earlier, but my main thesis is that the argument of "should we vote out the lurker, or will the mod do something about it?" is one of the most uninteresting discussions to be had in a game and is actively not fun and has nothing to do with actually playing the game in a way that I personally think is bad. This honestly has nothing to do with a specific game at this point, it's just an ambiguity that I don't really see any point in existing when all it takes is an extra sentence or two in an OP to clear up.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

flerp posted:

it’s with a heavy heart that im annoucing that i am officially quitting mafia

Same, except I quit 4 months ago.

And I re-joined a week ago hi folks.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
who the gently caress is scraeming "QUIT MAFIA" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never quit mafia

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

kumba posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming “brexit" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never brexit

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

kumba posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "QUIT MAFIA" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never quit mafia

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

why did chorse keep saying that was Toal's first game?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

im new here

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

im new here

Uh excuse me

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Aww did I miss lurker chat again?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Toalpaz posted:

im new here

hi new here im mafia dad

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
birb I really like your new name

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If people genuinely want a new game I’ve got a fun, straight forward, ~multimedia~ one I’ve been sitting on for a bit, could open this weekend

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

here's the game:

I could still use a few more players for this, I think.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

FWIW I've been catching up on Phoenix Wright games (had a bit of hiatus, last one was like Ace Investigator). So probably 1/2 the way through Dual Destinies right now. When I finish I'll probably try to make a big game similar in spirit to the previous few PW games I made.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pander posted:

FWIW I've been catching up on Phoenix Wright games (had a bit of hiatus, last one was like Ace Investigator). So probably 1/2 the way through Dual Destinies right now. When I finish I'll probably try to make a big game similar in spirit to the previous few PW games I made.

Fuckin' A, Pander, you had me at Ace Attorney. Consider this a presign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Monathin posted:

Fuckin' A, Pander, you had me at Ace Attorney. Consider this a presign.

I don't think you were involved in mafia when I used to run them. I'd actually done Ace Attorney, JFA, T&T, AJ, and AAI before.

I need to figure out how to find them in the archives. I think they went well?