Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

khysanth posted:

Thank you all, very helpful.

I also found this link that seems to be a really thorough resource for people in my position:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Level_50_Progression_Guide

It's thorough in the sense that you could do all those things, but practically speaking you just want to spend some poetics on Ironworks Armor and Ironworks Weapons to gear up. Once you have a full set, spend more poetics to augment them to ilvl 130. Don't start doing the very long obsolete relic weapon grind unless you really want the weapon for glamour, and don't spend a ton of effort trying to do the early binding coils or extreme primals.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Xerophyte posted:

It's thorough in the sense that you could do all those things, but practically speaking you're just want to spend some poetics on Ironworks Armor and Ironworks Weapons to gear up. Once you have a full set, spend more poetics to augment them to ilvl 130. Don't start doing the very long obsolete relic weapon grind unless you really want the weapon for glamour, and don't spend a ton of effort trying to do the early binding coils or extreme primals.

This. A full set of augmented Ironworks gear + Augmented weapon + getting an Agate Ring that suits your class (il 115) to cover the second ring slot off the MB (or bugging a crafter friend to make it for you if they have Goldsmith up past level 51) should keep you pretty well geared anywhere from a third to halfway through Heavensward content, and almost certainly will be more than enough for your 2.x content.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I mean, they're going to get a full set of 130 ironworks in like 2 or 3 weeks tops and then have 3-4 months to kill, may as well grind dumb poo poo then.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Monathin posted:

This. A full set of augmented Ironworks gear + Augmented weapon + getting an Agate Ring that suits your class (il 115) to cover the second ring slot off the MB (or bugging a crafter friend to make it for you if they have Goldsmith up past level 51) should keep you pretty well geared anywhere from a third to halfway through Heavensward content, and almost certainly will be more than enough for your 2.x content.

You can use an Ironworks Ring with an Augmented Ironworks Ring of the same type, they're only exclusive if they're exactly the same item. Likewise for Shire, Scaevan, etc.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Xerophyte posted:

You can use an Ironworks Ring with an Augmented Ironworks Ring of the same type, they're only exclusive if they're exactly the same item. Likewise for Shire, Scaevan, etc.

Welp. I've been playing this game for like four years and I somehow didn't know this. :suicide:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

johnny park posted:

I had the same issue, it's definitely a little opaque bc the other spells say "grants astral fire or removes umbral ice" whereas fire3 says "grants astral fire AND removes umbral ice"

The wording is specific because casting fire while under umbral ice just removes the ice stacks and doesn't grant you astral fire and vice versa. Which is why you want to transpose between your phases before you get fire/blizzard III.

Level 40 when you get the third stack and have both Fire/Blizzard III is when THM/BLM goes from 'huh, big numbers are fun but kinda slow' to 'EIGHTY EIGHT EXPLOSIONS PER HOUR!'

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm trying to preorder Stormblood Shadowbringers and Squeenix is categorically refusing to accept any of my cards, or my PayPal account-- the site is contending my info is wrong on the cards, and immediately flat-out cancels the transaction when I try to use PayPal. Anyone run into this before and know what's up?

Edit: Name your expansions better, SE! :argh:

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 16, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

khysanth posted:

Thank you all, very helpful.

I also found this link that seems to be a really thorough resource for people in my position:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Level_50_Progression_Guide

To elaborate in a little more detail on what others have said, this progression guide is...kind of misleading. That guide presents level 50 progression AS IT WORKED WHEN THE CONTENT WAS CURRENT. It's not anymore, so almost all of that can be skipped. That guide serves to describe how almost two years of raiding progression used to work. All old gear is now bought with Tomestones of Poetics. All of it. Ironworks was the very best of the best (along with Dreadwyrm) at level 50 and you can skip straight to it.

The same principle applies to Heavensward content at level 60. You can skip directly to Shire gear at 60 with poetics tomestones. Poetics are the catch all "old content" currency.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mad Snake Eaters and Friends finally got past the twins!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brainamp posted:

hell yeah, just got past the twins buds

god in heaven, this is my first tier healing and synthetic shield made me actually have to remember and use all my cooldowns. extremely rude

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hello excalibur goons it's me Lieutenant Mittens

i need two Quicktongue Materia IIIs to start doing another dumb ARR relic, but there aren't any on the MB. if you have any please send them to me i will pay you for them, thank you <3

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Reminder that you can travel to other servers to get stuff from their Marketboards (maybe)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Captain Cappy posted:

Reminder that you can travel to other servers to get stuff from their Marketboards (maybe)

Is that a thing already?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
4.56 or later I believe.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
huh. how do i do that?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

huh. how do i do that?

Time travel to the future because it's not implemented yet apparently.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
My airship just brought me 36 of them instead of the shrub seedlings I asked for. I (Svan Hvit/TPT) threw a few pairs on the mb cheap because you're not on and I can't moogle mail you, but if someone buys them all up I'll figure out how to get some leftovers to you directly.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I actually got some earlier tonight but thank you! Now I know where to ask if the market board isn't agreeing with me.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

The wording is specific because casting fire while under umbral ice just removes the ice stacks and doesn't grant you astral fire and vice versa. Which is why you want to transpose between your phases before you get fire/blizzard III.

Level 40 when you get the third stack and have both Fire/Blizzard III is when THM/BLM goes from 'huh, big numbers are fun but kinda slow' to 'EIGHTY EIGHT EXPLOSIONS PER HOUR!'

Yes I know, my point was that if you miss that one word like I did when reading the ability notes at first it is easy to be confused about the purpose of fire 3

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I will still sometimes use Fire III more than once because I like the bigger, harder explosion it makes.

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010
Has Materia V been available since ARR? I'm trying to gauge how often they introduce new materia levels to the game. Is it every expansion or every second expac?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lenore03 posted:

Has Materia V been available since ARR? I'm trying to gauge how often they introduce new materia levels to the game. Is it every expansion or every second expac?

Grade V was introduced in Heavensward. Grade VI came in Stormblood, if I’m not mistaken.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Lenore03 posted:

ARR only had up to tier IV materia, they added tier V with HW release. I would expect another tier to come in ShB if they keep to the pattern.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

understood! (am bad at /gpose though)

It's nice to see someone else appreciate the freckles option in character customization.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Me and three sprouts. All three were class boosted. The black mage did nothing but hard cast their level 3 skills. Fire 3 blizzard 3 fire 3 blizzard 3 the entire dungeon. The dragoon did not doom spike.

It took 60 minutes. I did not get a commendation.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thumbtacks posted:

Me and three sprouts. All three were class boosted. The black mage did nothing but hard cast their level 3 skills. Fire 3 blizzard 3 fire 3 blizzard 3 the entire dungeon. The dragoon did not doom spike.

Lol gently caress people like that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I'm having a lot of fun doing this, you guys. Like a lot.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Brainamp posted:

I wish your healers luck with Hello World, it's awful (although the real killer is more often than not simply underestimating Final Omega's incredibly spicy autos. They hit unfairly hard).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Thumbtacks posted:

I bet the tank got two commendations, and the tank just left without giving anything out

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Almost certainly yes

I even told them both, in detail, how to do their rotations or at least how to be less bad. They ignored me

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've given up trying to teach other players. About the only time I'll break silence in a dungeon run is if the tank is loving up boss mechanics.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I had a run of great gubal library with 3 new players about a week ago that I just explained the boss fights in & we failed demon tome twice due to the healer not being fast enough, and ran into a few more hitches like lvl5 death. It was annoying, but understandable. I got it again today and it was miserable even though 3/4 of the party was not new to it. That dungeon is cursed, I’m telling you.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It's a major fault of the game that there's absolutely nothing teaching players how to actually play their class. Squenix, get an intern to make a cute catgirl assistant that gives you a debriefing after dungeon runs that tells you how to do better, or something like that. I want her to tap the monitor and say "It looks like you cast nothing but Blizzard III last dungeon, how about no?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Cappy posted:

It's a major fault of the game that there's absolutely nothing teaching players how to actually play their class. Squenix, get an intern to make a cute catgirl assistant that gives you a debriefing after dungeon runs that tells you how to do better, or something like that. I want her to tap the monitor and say "It looks like you cast nothing but Blizzard III last dungeon, how about no?"

People don't do the adventurers' guild before Sastasha, you think they'd pay attention to that?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Because there's a dinky notice saying "hey over here, if you feel like it, actually don't bother." And I think people will take notice if they see they're doing poo poo damage; people like big numbers and if they see they got small dick dps then they'll wise up.

Also, they should make stuff like the learning quests mandatory, just like having a job stone and all job quests completed should be mandatory.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Captain Cappy posted:

Also, they should make stuff like the learning quests mandatory, just like having a job stone and all job quests completed should be mandatory.

This sort of stuff should absolutely be mandatory to df stuff. As well as min ilvls for levelling dungeons.

Anyone that puts a modicum of effort into reading should have a decent understanding of their job and rotation though. The fact so many people don't doesn't have an easy answer. And you'll never fix someone being lazy once they've beaten whatever benchmark they needed to.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Most of the rotations in this game are extremely intuitive if you read your abilities at all. You can't really fix people who don't even put in that much effort.

Hell the Red Mage intro cutscene even SHOWS you the rotation.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Most of the rotations in this game are extremely intuitive if you read your abilities at all. You can't really fix people who don't even put in that much effort.

Hell the Red Mage intro cutscene even SHOWS you the rotation.

lmao if you think these people aren't hammering the escape button any time control is wrested from them

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It's not just about rotations, but also stuff like downtime between casts and making sure to use oGCDs. Nothing in the game as far as I know actually tells you to mash your buttons so the server queues up your next move for you. Not to mention that even if someone thinks theyre doing well, that there is no ingame way of knowing that they actually are. The only way to know for sure is to download a program that you can't tell anyone about or get banned.

Another problem for sprouts is keeping their gear up to date, but that could probably be filed under the other problems with the gear treadmill in this game.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I still haven't done any grouping stuff but as a new Arcanist I just fiddled around and made a Macro that queues all my attack spells on a single target and another that does the same but with /bt

At some point I'll have to learn how to actually heal people, I figure.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 17, 2019