Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I still haven't done any grouping stuff but as a new Arcanist I just fiddled around and made a Macro that queues all my attack spells on a single target and another that does the same but with /bt

At some point I'll have to learn how to actually heal people, I figure.

Don't do this. Macros don't queue your attacks so you're losing a significant amount of damage by doing this. Basically, when you manually mash the button for the spell before it looks like its off cooldown, the server will queue it up for you. If you use a macro, it won't, so your character will be doing nothing for a little while (whatever your latency is to the server).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
you guys ever see a name and think "how is that not a goon"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

I still have a picture of "Leonardo Doujinshi" somewhere on an old storage drive.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Cappy posted:

Another problem for sprouts is keeping their gear up to date, but that could probably be filed under the other problems with the gear treadmill in this game.

even in this thread it isn't uncommon for people to pop up and be like "I'm leveling for the first time, I should never spend gil under any circumstances ever right? i should effectively be a monk and RP walk to my next destination, teleporting is a luxury for max level omnicrafters i'm sure". people are terrified of spending money and of course the game isn't going to tell you that money is basically a non-issue for combat jobs because that'd be weirdly meta.

with people leveling so incredibly quickly now too (and almost assuredly not running most dungeons more than the one time the game demands) people are gonna outlevel gear super fast. you basically need to add in quests every 10 levels that give you a full set of new gear to fix this

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Which Heavensward and Stormblood do, they give out quest rewards of HQ gear. Of course as quest rewards you can only get them for one job.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I still have a picture of "Leonardo Doujinshi" somewhere on an old storage drive.

I, very literally, laughed out loud at this. Thank you for even mentioning it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kwyndig posted:

Which Heavensward and Stormblood do, they give out quest rewards of HQ gear. Of course as quest rewards you can only get them for one job.

Not even just in HW, ARR does give out gear in the MSQ, it's just spaced out more.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, if they class boosted and literally didn't even bother trying to find out how stuff worked, then I don't think any amount of tutorialising would do much for them short of forcing them through a mandatory unskippable segment.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The game should rank your performance each dungeon on a scale from Edda to whoever is canonically best at dungeons.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I still haven't done any grouping stuff but as a new Arcanist I just fiddled around and made a Macro that queues all my attack spells on a single target and another that does the same but with /bt

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Samuringa posted:

You do you, don't fall for the angry grognards telling you not to macro. :)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Argas posted:

I mean, if they class boosted and literally didn't even bother trying to find out how stuff worked, then I don't think any amount of tutorialising would do much for them short of forcing them through a mandatory unskippable segment.

I remember getting The Aery with a boosted Ninja once who had never played the game at all before. His friend brought him along but had no idea how to play Ninja either so the first two pulls were awkward as hell. I asked what the holdup was and the guy explained.

Fortunately, I was leveling Ninja at the time so I was able to explain how to do Mudras and keep dots up and stuff. At least this guy was receptive to information, but what a way to introduce a friend to the game!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The game should rank your performance each dungeon on a scale from Edda to whoever is canonically best at dungeons.
Edda
Dariustel
Coultenet
Boulder (either)
Arenvald
Godbert

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've found that most sprouts (like me) are receptive if you are nice about the advice, especially when it's an obvious sprout trap like the chimera in cutters or that cyclops with no telegraphs in the darkhold. My biggest issue are the leveling dungeon tank heroes who think they can pull half the dungeon at once and ignore boss mechanics because they are actually a badass level 70 whatever. These people seem to forget that many DPS classes don't even have their AE yet in low level dungeons and the healer may be new and is also often missing key abilities, traits, and/or cooldowns (role abilities). The same applies to the super geared "pull more" healers grouping with a new tank (or even worse, the DPS pulling FOR the new tank). I find when I'm playing my tank (still relatively low level marauder) I'm a lot more squishy than synched tanks even though my gear is appropriate for my level.

All in all though I've found randomly PUGing in FF14 to be pretty good so far. In general people seem pretty patient and I've only seen a few slapfights happen.

edit:

Thumbtacks posted:

I just now passed this person in Limsa haha.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 17, 2019

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
On the final try before giving up forever, I finally cleared BA in what was the ugliest run I've ever experienced. For some reason after doing the UFO fate, my partner got the portal buff but I didn't, so I had to wait until the support fate, then I sniped one of the last portals from some random lala and managed to get in. AV went flawlessly, but my party only had 4 people total, and by the time Ozma was at 20%, only I was still alive and in the instance. Thank gently caress for clemency and hallowed ground otherwise I'd have died.

Now to never enter Eureka again.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I'm guessing you were outside the FATE circle when Ovni died. They changed it so you have to be in the circle to get the buff to prevent people all leaving the FATE two minutes early to grab portals, which often led to the FATE failing (especially if everyone with Dispel left).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Captain Cappy posted:

Don't do this. Macros don't queue your attacks so you're losing a significant amount of damage by doing this. Basically, when you manually mash the button for the spell before it looks like its off cooldown, the server will queue it up for you. If you use a macro, it won't, so your character will be doing nothing for a little while (whatever your latency is to the server).

I don't understand. Spell 1 > Wait 2 sec, give or take > Spell 2 until the last one, how is that different from pressing each manually?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I don't understand. Spell 1 > Wait 2 sec, give or take > Spell 2 until the last one, how is that different from pressing each manually?

Because the game has built-in latency mitigation that queues up the next attack if you press the button early, so there is no delay between presses.

Macros explicitly do not have that so you have waiting half a second or more between casts. This adds up very fast.

Pressing one button and watching the game play itself sounds boring as gently caress as well but w/e.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Samuringa posted:

When you press a non-macro:d spell, your game client will actually ask the server to queue that spell to be cast immediately after your first one. This to mitigate the effect of latency. If you don't use macros there is effectively no delay between spells and abilities that are on the global cooldown except for the GCD.

When you press a macro:d spell, the queue is disabled. Your game client will only send a message to the server once it knows you're no longer casting, which means that the ability you tried to use is delayed by your latency plus whatever delay there was between cooldown ending and you pressing the button. Maybe .2 seconds/ability, give or take, so call it 10% less damage if you macro everything, more if far away from the server.

When you make a macro that queues abilities with waits in between, first each activation is subject to the same no-queuing limitation as anything in a macro, second you have to add some padding to make sure they never fire early. How much impact this has depends a lot on how stable your connection is but at a guess it's at best 20% slower, probably more.

How much you care about all that is up to you.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

By using the actual action buttons, you can start pressing the button early, and the server will queue up your action to start immediately when the GCD ends, to try to minimize network latency. Macros do not do this, and they're also restricted to whole numbers for the wait command. So for a macro to use a GCD action, the macro has to wait longer than necessary, because if you wait 2 then your GCD will still be on cooldown and since it's a macro the server won't queue up the action, but if you wait 3 then you're wasting (at least) half a second every three seconds, and one sixth of your actions in a 7-10 minute fight is quite a large loss.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I sort of got the min/max gist of it, I'll at least wait until I have a full array of spells before considering doing it manually, however.

Sarrisan posted:

Pressing one button and watching the game play itself sounds boring as gently caress as well but w/e.

It's an MMO, all you do is press 3 or 4 buttons and repeat :shrug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I sort of got the min/max gist of it, I'll at least wait until I have a full array of spells before considering doing it manually, however.

By the time you have a full array of buttons you won't have a clue on how to use them properly so you'll only be screwing yourself over tbh.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Samuringa posted:

lol

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Please don't macro your spells and abilities. It's less a min max thing and more basic functionality in content.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

You should really only use macros for crafting and some specific battle skills and maybe some other things I don't know about. I guess you could use them for everything if you're fine with being a lot worse than you need to be, but I don't know why you would be fine with that. It's not even about min-maxing, I am the least min-maxing person ever, it's just a bad idea and you shouldn't do it. IIRC, the developers intentionally made it like that to dissuade people from macroing their entire rotation.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
There are so many terrible players in this game I don’t have the energy to be annoyed anymore.

Just another dps superstar doing less than the healers in alliance roulette.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its the thrilling sequel to three pages ago when people were talking about running out of viable hotkeys

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Samuringa posted:

You really don't, I'm afraid. Most jobs have a lot of decision making at max level and it's better you start learning now than when you have between 20 and 30 buttons. Yes, your rotation is very simple now. The point of that is to ease you in gradually so you aren't totally overwhelmed when you have 20 to 30 buttons and possibly multiple interdependent resource systems.

Macros actively cost you GCDs. The only reason to use them is for ground targeted AoEs and other niche applications, for actual GCD abilities they are going to hurt you.

Seriously, I barely have enough viable hotkeys for everything I use on Paladin. You are not pressing 3 to 4 buttons.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 17, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the purpose of macros is to make big meme ascii art that says stuff like "I A M C O M I N G T O T A N K T H E B O S S"to spam in dungeons so you get all the commendations

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Sarrisan posted:

Just another dps superstar doing less damage than the healers
:emptyquote:

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

1) macros are chat based, not action based. This means that the game is programmed to handle them differently. Pressing an action on a hotbar a sec before you can use it will queue it up, but chat commands can't be queued at all.

2) macros are executed client side, not server side, which means that they are subject to delays and irregularities depending on your ping, packet loss from your isp, time of day, network bandwidth, etc.

3) macros are rigid and inflexible. You can not use macros to do everything for you while also reacting to fight mechanics, compensating for a dropped gcd, moving/looking in a different direction, targeting something or someone else for a second, or doing anything else that is related to playing the game.

The way macros are executed means that the scope of their use is limited, and they will likely run into execution issues in combat. GCDs get dropped, things won't properly synch up, etc.

Even in a perfect world where you don't need to worry about the effects of ping, packet loss, and the delay between lines of chat input, the way fights are designed makes macro usage even more theoreticaly limited. What happens when you have a dot refresh coming up on your macro, but you have to press a button to stop a party wide wipe mechanic? Do you switch targets, breaking the sequence of actions macroed together, or do you hope someone else takes care of it and risk the wipe? How would you handle resurrections as a healer if you can't control what spell will be used for swiftcast? What happens when you need to do fights like Ifrit, and prevent dotting or damaging the boss after an add has spawned? What happens to a macro once a boss becomes untargetable for 5 seconds? What happens once you have your level synced, and your rotation changes?

Trust us, we've been having this conversation for 5 years. Macros just aren't practical for chaining multiple skills together.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Samuringa posted:

Even if all my button consolidation dreams were realized I’d probably have six different buttons to press on my favorite job, and that’s just to execute its basic rotation. Once I started mixing in utility, defensive, and offensive cooldowns that probably balloons to fifteen or twenty. Obviously this is only a concern if you want to play well.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Samuringa posted:

In addition to not buffering for input lag, the GCD is 2.5 seconds and you can't do partial waits so you pretty much have to do /wait 3 which is essentially extending your GCD by half a second. Unless you are macroing something on the gcd and then something off, which it sounds like you might be doing but the principle is still the same because the half second delay in the gcd will just lead to you being animation locked an extra half second regardless.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
This game is built to accomodate MMO newbies, but every class gets pretty complex eventually by building on itself. Almost every skill you'll learn from 1 to 69 is equally important at cap. By automating your actions, you're not only spending 1/6 or more of your time doing nothing due to how macros work, you're also avoiding the player experience that would allow you to actually enjoy the mechanical parts of the game.

Do whatever you want, of course, but if you later say that the game is simplistic and boring then lol

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Samuringa posted:

This isn't even close to min/maxing, this is just the minimal level of effort required to play the game. Macroing your skills will make you a garbage level player that just holds everyone you group with back.

quote:

This game has a LOT of buttons to push for every class

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Jose Valasquez posted:

This game has a LOT of buttons to push for every class

Sch bars, since that seems to be how they are going:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

yeah even tanks, who probably have the least ampunt of active buttons and the simples button management eventually get something like 8 buttons for combos, roughly that many for cooldowns, and then a bunch of miscellaneous buttons you don't always want to push but are useful (aoe pull, stance change buttons, provoke/shirk, etc), this game is not shy about giving you a lot to do during a fight on any role.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Yea, that all sounds terrible, I'll just pass on this altogether.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

14 isn't a hard game to play at all and it takes a while for your rotation to get particularly complex. The only restriction is just don't try to automate your dps because it will not work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I can’t believe this game expects me to actually play it instead of automatically doing everything for me!

But for real, if you just want to macro all your abilities to one or two buttons and that’s it then this probably isn’t the game for you. There’s plenty of other games out there for that. Personally, I think that sounds really boring, but then again I do really like FF12 so who knows.