Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that intro is american as gently caress, i dont need to see the loving drivers faces like this is some kind of nascar poo poo. i hope liberty sells the company and bernie buy it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Formula 1: Feel the Bern

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

LoboLoboLobo posted:

Looking forward to when they have to redo the F1 intro video half way through the season because of the inevitable driver changes

Is this something that happens? I haven't been following F1 too long.

It'd be wild to see driver changes mid season because someone is awful.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Nah you just made some weak sauce ones that have no chance of coming true. Shameful.
If I can't post, I can't fulfil my promise to post about Max more.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Annoyingly, Honda/Red Bull's performance is exactly what I expected to happen when McLaren dumped them.

Happy for Bottas, but yeah, it's not going to last.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Khablam posted:

Owww
I watched the bulk of this race from the top of a ladder, while installing spotlights in the living room ceiling. It reminded me of something/someone, but couldn’t really put my finger on it...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

How could we ever manage

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

This is the first year since the kids came along that I've really been able to sit down and watch some races. I think between spending more Sundays on my bike and not being able to get the TV for a couple of hours has cost me about five years. The last full season was '14, plus a litttle of '15, so in some ways not much has changed.

It was an oddly comforting opener, actually. Everybody was pretty much where I'd have guessed. Apart from Williams. I know nothing lasts forever but I'd hope they have a buyer lined up because I don't think they are going to last the season. I read all the stuff with Paddy Lowe and it just seems plain odd what has happened to such a great team.

Edit: Did El Hefe ever come back?

Sulman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 18, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sulman posted:

This is the first year since the kids came along that I've really been able to sit down and watch some races. I think between spending more Sundays on my bike and not being able to get the TV for a couple of hours has cost me about five years. The last full season was '14, plus a litttle of '15, so in some ways not much has changed.

It was an oddly comforting opener, actually. Everybody was pretty much where I'd have guessed. Apart from Williams. I know nothing lasts forever but I'd hope they have a buyer lined up because I don't think they are going to last the season. I read all the stuff with Paddy Lowe and it just seems plain odd what has happened to such a great team.

Edit: Did El Hefe ever come back?

He’s dead.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Haas F1 might put together a good year. Maybe even score a podium!

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

daslog posted:

Maybe they even figure out how to attach the wheels to their cars.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

He can be with Fernando now.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

It's all down hill from here for Haas, they don't have the budget/development to keep up with the rest of the midfield teams. I wouldn't expect them to drop out of the top 10, but don't see them challenging the top 3 teams.

Also, seriously, how bad was Gasly this weekend. For his sake I hope it was just a one of bad track for him. But it's hilarious otherwise.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

freeranger posted:

It's all down hill from here for Haas, they don't have the budget/development to keep up with the rest of the midfield teams. I wouldn't expect them to drop out of the top 10, but don't see them challenging the top 3 teams.

Also, seriously, how bad was Gasly this weekend. For his sake I hope it was just a one of bad track for him. But it's hilarious otherwise.

This is what I say every single year about Haas but they tend to hold their own

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
F1 2019:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Yeah, sorry you are right. I meant they won't go backwards dramatically, but they wont go forwards either.

Really, HAAS is such an anomaly of a team. They have what 200 odd staff, and a fairly small budget but seem to be consistent well above other teams. I quite like the team even if they are really a replica Ferrari team.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We’re all dead really. Just El Hefe is dead dead.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Haas doesn't struggle with upgrades in the way that other small teams do because the hardest part is planning and meeting a production schedule, all of which is done by Dallara.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Big Huski Boi posted:

Haas doesn't struggle with upgrades in the way that other small teams do because the hardest part is planning and meeting a production schedule, all of which is done by Dallara.

i thought the whole point of haas is that they produce all their own poo poo to market their CNC business

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rhopunzel posted:

i thought the whole point of haas is that they produce all their own poo poo to market their CNC business

I’m lol’ing at this cause it’s amazing how effective marketing is when targeting Americans.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just caught up with the race. Who is "Joethenazi?"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

No the whole point of Haas is to market their CNC machines while spending as little as possible, and in doing so they have somehow produced the best midfield team in ages

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

freeranger posted:

Really, HAAS is such an anomaly of a team. They have what 200 odd staff, and a fairly small budget but seem to be consistent well above other teams. I quite like the team even if they are really a replica Ferrari team.

They buy pretty much all ferrari parts for their engine, gearbox, wheels, rims, suspension, hydralics, etc. They then contract Dallary to make a Ferrari knockoff chassis to bolt everything on to.

Alfa Romeo might be the political Ferrari B team, but Haas is the actual B grade Ferrari team.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

An Italian binman

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
apparently Are Daniil knocked up Are Kelly

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

1500quidpoocati posted:

I’m lol’ing at this cause it’s amazing how effective marketing is when targeting Americans.

idk all i knew was haas is huge on fabrication tools and already did a lot of outsourcing work for existing F1 teams so it wasn't that huge a leap of logic to assume they'd fabricate their own parts too

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

How do you know? Were you there?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Watching a bunch of Bottas interviews following the win and even before it and he's definitely changed.

If I had to describe the change he just seems like a much more.... steely person now. Almost assholish and stand-offish. The beard and his tone definitely makes him seem really ruthless. He used to have a cheery vibe but the 2018 winless season, the immense criticism, and whatever he did over the winter has turned him into a guy who is voluntarily going back for a 3rd tour of duty in Vietnam having come back home to find himself labeled a baby killer, his wife ran off with his brother, the kids don't even recognize him, and his family are scared of him so he does the only thing he knows and goes back to war a much more gruffer, ruthless, and determined person to wade through that jungle with his brothers in arms to stump the encroaching communist scum but ultimately knows that this is a forever war with nothing to gain except more death, grief, and harrow yet this is his reality and he does the only thing he can do which is try to make sure that some of his comrades make it out of this hell alive because just maybe... just maybe they have a chance at a normal life back home something that he's lost but as long as he can ensure someone makes it back, has a family, raises them right, and they thrive then just maybe he can find some sort of self-worth in his continual sacrifice of his humanity and soul.

Bottas owns.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Most likely like 80% of the field.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Wirth1000 posted:

Watching a bunch of Bottas interviews following the win and even before it and he's definitely changed.

If I had to describe the change he just seems like a much more.... steely person now. Almost assholish and stand-offish. The beard and his tone definitely makes him seem really ruthless. He used to have a cheery vibe but the 2018 winless season, the immense criticism, and whatever he did over the winter has turned him into a guy who is voluntarily going back for a 3rd tour of duty in Vietnam having come back home to find himself labeled a baby killer, his wife ran off with his brother, the kids don't even recognize him, and his family are scared of him so he does the only thing he knows and goes back to war a much more gruffer, ruthless, and determined person to wade through that jungle with his brothers in arms to stump the encroaching communist scum but ultimately knows that this is a forever war with nothing to gain except more death, grief, and harrow yet this is his reality and he does the only thing he can do which is try to make sure that some of his comrades make it out of this hell alive because just maybe... just maybe they have a chance at a normal life back home something that he's lost but as long as he can ensure someone makes it back, has a family, raises them right, and they thrive then just maybe he can find some sort of self-worth in his continual sacrifice of his humanity and soul.

Bottas owns.

:stare:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Bottas owns.

nice meltdown

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nothing says

Wirth1000 posted:

a guy who is voluntarily going back for a 3rd tour of duty in Vietnam having come back home to find himself labeled a baby killer, his wife ran off with his brother, the kids don't even recognize him, and his family are scared of him so he does the only thing he knows and goes back to war a much more gruffer, ruthless, and determined person to wade through that jungle with his brothers in arms to stump the encroaching communist scum but ultimately knows that this is a forever war with nothing to gain except more death, grief, and harrow yet this is his reality and he does the only thing he can do which is try to make sure that some of his comrades make it out of this hell alive because just maybe... just maybe they have a chance at a normal life back home something that he's lost but as long as he can ensure someone makes it back, has a family, raises them right, and they thrive then just maybe he can find some sort of self-worth in his continual sacrifice of his humanity and soul.
like growing a beard

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Wirth1000 posted:

Bottas owns.

seek help

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GramCracker posted:

I wonder how many of these guys are eskimo brothers.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Did I ever tell you how much of a Max fan I am, always loved that guy and the power of dreams Red Bull gives you wings Heil Hitler etc

Also hahahahah riccccidickydingo is trash somehow worse than mark 'aussie poo poo' webber. Aussies, your country is poo poo and your people are poo poo haha owned

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidpoocati posted:

LOL Americans don't watch F1

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

Bottas owns.

Same

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I think Bottas has said this was the first time he had a winter without being sick? Something about the weight limits being changed so it was much easier on him now.

So that may have something to do with his performance.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Not bad this F1 doco on Netflix, looks good in 4k.

Aww Are Dan's mum is so nervous watching the races.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

GramCracker posted:

isn't kvyat a bit old for R kelly?