Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (33m) girlfriend (34f) more or less told me she didn't want me showing up at her office in my construction gear.

I feel like I have a lot going for me; I’m a well educated (business certificate, management diploma, associates degree etc) and hard working guy. I own my apartment in a great city, I have a car, no debt, I have hobbies that earn me money (music and martial arts), and I work in a very lucrative trade as an elevator mechanic apprentice. I feel like I’m very well-rounded. My girlfriend is in senior management at an office for a fashion/retail company, and makes substantially more money then I do.

Whoa, pump the breaks here, this dude is an apprentice with an associate's degree AND a "business certificate"? Move over, Gary Kasparov, there's a new sheriff in town, and he's credentialed. As. poo poo.

He even goes on to say that he owns such items as, a car, and he DJs for barmitzvahs across the city as well, making insane secondary income on the regular. Every woman is thinking, why isn't this guy balls deep in me at this exact moment? How am I not pregnant with this man's potent and highly credentialed offspring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Hello Ketene posted:

I'm [24F] worried that my boyfriend [26M] might have a fetish for Asian women

Eh, if you're asian, why does that worry you? It could always be worse. Like the dude wanting to poo poo on you or trying to fist you while you sleep or something

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Taima posted:

Whoa, pump the breaks here, this dude is an apprentice with an associate's degree AND a "business certificate"? Move over, Gary Kasparov, there's a new sheriff in town, and he's credentialed. As. poo poo.

He even goes on to say that he owns such items as, a car, and he DJs for barmitzvahs across the city as well, making insane secondary income on the regular. Every woman is thinking, why isn't this guy balls deep in me at this exact moment? How am I not pregnant with this man's potent and highly credentialed offspring?
Elevator mechanics actually make insane amounts of money, he just has to get past the apprenticeship

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Power Khan posted:

Eh, if you're asian, why does that worry you? It could always be worse. Like the dude wanting to poo poo on you or trying to fist you while you sleep or something

Or being a pedophile. O wait

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Power Khan posted:

The tyranny of low expectations.

Next you could try "if someone racially fetishised me I'd be flattered!"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (33m) girlfriend (34f) more or less told me she didn't want me showing up at her office in my construction gear.

quote:

She’s made a comment in the past about how blue-collar workers are stereotyped as being uneducated and not very smart, but how I’m different because I'm smart and university educated.

She told you right here that she expected you to be a loving moron and you missed it. It's not her office that has these "perceptions", it's her. She's giving you the gift of the red flag and telling you she doesn't respect you because you didn't pay $50k a year to jerk off in an MBA program. :sever: and move on buddy.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Elevator mechanics actually make insane amounts of money, he just has to get past the apprenticeship

That's 100% fair but it's kind of like saying that "I'm a well educated lawyer" when you are in law school.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

She told you right here that she expected you to be a loving moron and you missed it. It's not her office that has these "perceptions", it's her. She's giving you the gift of the red flag and telling you she doesn't respect you because you didn't pay $50k a year to jerk off in an MBA program. :sever: and move on buddy.

Not saying that isn't a red flag, but people are dicks and professional status is totally a thing in places with lots of high-earning, educated people. That doesn't make it right, but to automatically infer that it's all in her head is pretty ignorant of how these places tend to function. I have to deal with that poo poo constantly, being knee deep in silicon valley snootery.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hello Ketene posted:

When someone tells you that your body is perfect because it looks underdeveloped, like a child's, that's the signal to leave

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Power Khan posted:

Eh, if you're asian, why does that worry you?

People don't like being pegged down to often racist preconceptions of who they are.
To give an extreme example, what if you were black and found out your white girlfriend got with you because she wanted to see how big your dick was.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Power Khan posted:

Dude talks Japanese to her even though she is Chinese suggesting he is more into the concept of her being Asian than actually into her as a person, that would bother me if I were her.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

People don't like being pegged

That's not what I've heard at all.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hello Ketene posted:

turtle_soda • 1h
its like no one here knows what a loli is. a loli is basically just a short flat chested cutesy type lady. for example in the show "kobayashii's dragon maid" there is a character that is 300 years old and she is still a loli even though she is short and flat chested. the only reason people are mixing loli with child is because on the surface to an outsider who doesn't watch anime seeing a lady of ambiguios age be fawned over seems weird even if she is an adult. although if i'm being honest he might have an asian thing but that isn't a bad thing if he also likes you for who you are as a person and actually is interedted in asian culture other than anime. you should tell him to not say that before going down on you because its as cringy as me knowing the minutia of what it means to be a loli; and you aren't even japanese so it doesn't make sense.

:anime:

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

quote:

the minutia of what it means to be a loli

hey, please kill me. thanks.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Power Khan posted:

:goonsay:

Hmm yeah, I wonder why this girl's weird rear end scummy pedophile racist Asian fever boyfriend who says he likes her child-like body is a problem.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sai-kun posted:

hey, please kill me. thanks.

Please please do not make this the thread title

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

Please please do not make this the thread title

/r/relationships: the minutia of what it means to be a loli is an excellent thread title though :discourse:

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://thoughtsthatmove.com/2017/05/02/how-kanna-bridges-the-gap-between-species-miss-kobayashis-dragon-maid/

Goodbye cruel world. I have learned enough.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Furry art dude should agree to the art being up then also frame and put up the nudes they were blackmailing him with.

Stop surpressing my identity as an extremely attractive gay man.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Power Khan posted:

UPDATE: My roommate wants to put furry art in the common area, I’m against the idea. Nothing against furries, I just don’t like furry art.
This is an update to this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationsh..._medium=ios_app

Zee isn’t happy. At all. She still thinks I’m trying to deprive her of her character. She still thinks I have a “vendetta against furries.” I cannot be anymore clear that I DO NOT CARE that she’s a furry (even after all this I still don’t, it was never and will never be about her being a furry or furries in general). She actually said this, and I’m not kidding, that if I don’t let her put up her furry art in the common area, then I’m just like the people during the Civil Rights Movement that refused to take a stance during the diner sit-ins and protests.

If you had to do a double take and re-read that, you’re not alone. Frankly, I’m flabbergasted at the very thought that she’s equivocating not liking furry art to being against civil rights. I told her, in no uncertain terms, that I think it’s great that she loves who she is and isn’t ashamed of what she’s into (as a gay man, who am i to tell her otherwise?). I just don’t enjoy furry art. It makes me very uncomfortable to look at and it clashes against the established aesthetic in the common area that everyone already loves. Yet apparently, unless I agree to all of her terms regarding her furry art, art that keep in mind she did not create, she bought during one of the many furry conventions she went to this year alone, I’m not being a true ally to her identity. she has no other part to her identity other than being a furry. Frankly I think that takes a what-should-be hobby to an unhealthy extreme but whatever, I’m not her mom. She can obsess over fake animals for the rest of her life for all I care.

Oh, the craziest part? One of her friends sent me a text message threatening to leak my nudes to the public unless I let my roommate put up furry art in the common area. Frankly I’m surprised it took them this long to find nudes of me online. I’m a certified snack, and I’ve found nudes of me online more than once before, so I told them to go right ahead and post them. Honestly I’m surprised they haven’t found the videos of me yet. They could even tag me in them, too. I’m hot, see how much I care (I don’t care at all).

So that’s where I’m at. My lease runs out in July, and I just got a raise at work, and there’s a building a few blocks away from me that’s always leasing. They have a gym, pool, and a hipster-esque bar that I’ve been to and love. It’d be a studio, but a studio that I’d love. I’m likely moving there. My roommate and her friend can pound sand.

Still gonna hold my party, still gonna not care what furries do as long as I don’t have to look at it. Happy St Paddy’s Day.

Edit: just want to be clear, when I referred to the friend of my roommate’s as “them,” I meant that they prefer to they/them pronouns. I have no idea if my roommate is aware that they threatened me. Would I be surprised either way? No. But I don’t want to assume my roommate is in on the threats regardless. But I am gonna inform her that her friend is doing that because she deserves to know what her friend is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIyw-pJkUk

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
We really do need a thread title change at this point. I don't care what it is but the wife making GBS threads thing is way past its time.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Taima posted:

Lol. That's what I was thinking. Then again, I don't think girlfriend or wife or whatever should be ashamed of her partner for having a blue collar job.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Elephant Ambush posted:

We really do need a thread title change at this point. I don't care what it is but the wife making GBS threads thing is way past its time.

Yup, that title is funny as heck, but it's been many months since that post and we've had at least a dozen more current hilarious examples since then. We need a new one!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm fine with the title changing but the current one is better than 95% of alternatives posted

so you need not only a better title proposed but also for a mod to read it while having nothing better to do and lol good luck

Clearly A Dog
Jun 14, 2017

woof o_o

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA omg the last one >_>;;;

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That appletarian one was good stuff. I admire that dude.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MarcusSA posted:

That appletarian one was good stuff. I admire that dude.

A fine example of an ethically sourced prank.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Taima posted:

Taima posted:

Not saying that isn't a red flag, but people are dicks and professional status is totally a thing in places with lots of high-earning, educated people. That doesn't make it right, but to automatically infer that it's all in her head is pretty ignorant of how these places tend to function. I have to deal with that poo poo constantly, being knee deep in silicon valley snootery.

His girlfriend is an insecure idiot. If the roles were reversed and this was a man working on Wall Street with a girlfriend working at TGI Fridays, and he was ashamed of her show up in her work clothes, you would tripping over yourself to poo poo on him. Instead you're like, "durr well, professional status is totally a thing! Poor lady." Okay then.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Taima posted:

You misspelled brakes during this weak attempt at roasting this perfectly reasonable guy you classist fuckface.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for cussing out my in-laws for going through my luggage?

I recently got engaged and took some time off to visit our parents and start planning. First stop was mine and then his.

I suffer from chronic pain and take a variety of meds which cause a decrease in appetite and nausea. I haven’t disclosed my illness to my in-laws, but a few nights ago I could hear her complaining about how I’m too good to eat what they cook. I let it go.

Yesterday, fiancé took me around his hometown. On the way back, he remembered to get beer, but we were already pulling into the driveway. I was tired, so he dropped me off. His parents were waiting for me in the living room, angry.

Future mother-in-law - FMIL: You really think you can pull the wool over our eyes, don’t you? You think you can bring drugs into our house?!

Me: motioning to a seat because my legs hurt

FMIL: No no! You stand! How dare you bring this disgusting bullshit into our house!

I reach for my cellphone and she yells at me to keep my hands at my side.

FMIL: I don’t care how legal this stuff is. We don’t allow this garbage in our house! She pulls out a plastic wrapped package and I immediately know what it is. My husband took a bite out of it and got sick!

I’m pissed off right now because this was at the bottom of my luggage! And then she starts going off about how many pills I take (again, wouldn’t know if you hadn’t gone through my stuff) and how her son doesn’t deserve a druggie. She takes my package and shows me where FFIL took a few bites and threw up soon after.

It’s been 10 minutes and my fiancé is back. His mom asks him if he knows all the medication I’m on and how I brought pot into their house. He can’t get a straight answer about how they know about my medicine, but then he glances at the package and just sighs.

Fiancé: Mom, it’s soap. Even says African Black Soap.

He broke off a piece, headed to the kitchen, and washed his hands with it, showing them the lather. FMIL fired back saying that she’s never seen soap like that and that this doesn’t explain the amount of meds I take. They say they’re justified in what they did because they want the best for their son and since it’s their house they can go through personal belongings at will.

I let them have it. I start screaming and cussing because I’m exhausted and tired. I can’t remember everything I said, but my throat has been a mess from all of the screaming. FFIL tried to give me back the soap, but I kind of threw it at him saying I didn’t want his gum disease. Terrible, I know.

We’re staying at a hotel and not talking to his parents. I feel I could have gone about it better. I wanted a good relationship with my in-laws and we’ve always kind of gotten along... now I feel like I hosed up badly.

TL;DR: future in-laws went through my luggage and mistook soap for an edible. I cussed them out and offended them and now I feel like I burned a major bridge.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to replace a drink that my toddler knocked over because the girl was rude.

I was at baggage claim at the airport with my son, who’s 3. We were leaving and as we’re walking away, this girl yells “excuse me!” At me. I turn and she points to her Starbucks drink which is spilled on the floor and says “your kid did that.”

I ask my son if he spilled it and he said he bumped it. The girl says “it was $5” and looks at me expectantly. I was pissed about how rude she was and the way she was just looking at me and expecting me to pay for her mocha frappa-whatever without even asking, so I just shrugged and walked away. My partner called me an rear end in a top hat when I told her the story. AITA?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to replace a drink that my toddler knocked over because the girl was rude.

I was at baggage claim at the airport with my son, who’s 3. We were leaving and as we’re walking away, this girl yells “excuse me!” At me. I turn and she points to her Starbucks drink which is spilled on the floor and says “your kid did that.”

I ask my son if he spilled it and he said he bumped it. The girl says “it was $5” and looks at me expectantly. I was pissed about how rude she was and the way she was just looking at me and expecting me to pay for her mocha frappa-whatever without even asking, so I just shrugged and walked away. My partner called me an rear end in a top hat when I told her the story. AITA?
Why would you be pissed someone expected you to replace it? That's normal and reasonable.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I recently got engaged and took some time off to visit our parents and start planning. First stop was mine and then his.

I suffer from chronic pain and take a variety of meds which cause a decrease in appetite and nausea. I haven’t disclosed my illness to my in-laws, but a few nights ago I could hear her complaining about how I’m too good to eat what they cook. I let it go.

Yesterday, fiancé took me around his hometown. On the way back, he remembered to get beer, but we were already pulling into the driveway. I was tired, so he dropped me off. His parents were waiting for me in the living room, angry.

Future mother-in-law - FMIL: You really think you can pull the wool over our eyes, don’t you? You think you can bring drugs into our house?!

Me: motioning to a seat because my legs hurt

FMIL: No no! You stand! How dare you bring this disgusting bullshit into our house!

I reach for my cellphone and she yells at me to keep my hands at my side.

FMIL: I don’t care how legal this stuff is. We don’t allow this garbage in our house! She pulls out a plastic wrapped package and I immediately know what it is. My husband took a bite out of it and got sick!

I’m pissed off right now because this was at the bottom of my luggage! And then she starts going off about how many pills I take (again, wouldn’t know if you hadn’t gone through my stuff) and how her son doesn’t deserve a druggie. She takes my package and shows me where FFIL took a few bites and threw up soon after.

It’s been 10 minutes and my fiancé is back. His mom asks him if he knows all the medication I’m on and how I brought pot into their house. He can’t get a straight answer about how they know about my medicine, but then he glances at the package and just sighs.

Fiancé: Mom, it’s soap. Even says African Black Soap.

He broke off a piece, headed to the kitchen, and washed his hands with it, showing them the lather. FMIL fired back saying that she’s never seen soap like that and that this doesn’t explain the amount of meds I take. They say they’re justified in what they did because they want the best for their son and since it’s their house they can go through personal belongings at will.

I let them have it. I start screaming and cussing because I’m exhausted and tired. I can’t remember everything I said, but my throat has been a mess from all of the screaming. FFIL tried to give me back the soap, but I kind of threw it at him saying I didn’t want his gum disease. Terrible, I know.

We’re staying at a hotel and not talking to his parents. I feel I could have gone about it better. I wanted a good relationship with my in-laws and we’ve always kind of gotten along... now I feel like I hosed up badly.

TL;DR: future in-laws went through my luggage and mistook soap for an edible. I cussed them out and offended them and now I feel like I burned a major bridge.

They are totally in the wrong for going through your poo poo, but a sad fact of life is that you may as well hit the eject button now because after cussing them out you have torpedoed any chance you might have had at a normal relationship with your in laws. And you do NOT want to have a hosed up relationship with your spouse's family, especially if you wind up having kids.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There's a lot of stdh.txt that happens on reddit, with people being wronged in such a comically over the top fashion and how the perpetrators get their comeuppance.

But this, not a whiff of it! And there's nothing not to love. One bit she missed out on at the time, is that the parents, upon finding drugs they officially don't approve of, immediately try to steal and consume them. And then rapidly backpedal when it's not a good trip. I love it so muuch, unf.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most of the people super-paranoid about drugs are basically doing it out of jealousy, I'm sure. And/or get all their ideas about drugs from TV where you taste the cocaine.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Hello Ketene posted:

Hello Ketene posted:

he watches anime sometimes

**shudder**

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (23F) boyfriend (25M) doesn't say my name ever because it's his grandmother's name.

Hey reddit people. I'm in need of some advice. My boyfriend and I are overall very happy together. We've been seeing each other for just a few months. Things are great, except there's one thing that's been bothering me. He never says my name ever. He says it's because my name is also his grandmother's name, and she basically raised him. She's a really important person in his life and apparently my name makes him think about her. I'd sort of get it if it was just during intimate time but it's all the time.

Now this may be the core of the issue. I've always been a little insecure about having an old lady name. For anonymity's sake, I won't say it here, but think of an old lady name and there's a decent chance that's my name. I was named after my great aunt. I've never thought it was a particularly attractive name, but I guess I guess I was hoping that he would like it because it's my name.

He's been calling me baby a lot, which is fine, but I wish we could either come up with a nickname that's kind of like my name or that he'd at least say it sometimes.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

TL;DR My boyfriend won't say my name because it's his grandmother's name and it's really getting at one of my insecurities.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My SO (26F) doesn't seem to be happy with her engagement ring. Should I (30M) offer to upgrade it next year?

My SO and I have been together for years and have a very happy relationship. Before I go further, I just want to add that she is level headed and not materialistic. She's also sensible with money.

However, I've noticed that ever since I proposed, she's never really shown her ring to anyone unless asked. She even keeps her hands firmly in her pocket and reluctantly gets it out when someone asks her.

I got her a 1 carat ring as it was all I could afford. I thought she was happy but not sure anymore, especially after we went to her sister's, who joked that maybe she could get an upgrade soon.

Now instead of saying that she was happy with her ring, my fiancée nervously laughed and it was embarrassing for me.

I am aware that her sister and her friends have larger diamonds. However, the choice was between proposing now or waiting until next year so that I had enough savings.

I don't want to get carried away with negative emotions, because she has always been wonderful and a great partner.

Should I offer to upgrade her ring sometime next year? That's the earliest I'd be able to do it.

I want her to be happy and not embarrassed with the ring. She's not directly said anything but doesn't seem happy with it.

TLDR: My SO doesn't seem happy with her engagement ring. Should I offer to upgrade it next year?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My SO (26F) doesn't seem to be happy with her engagement ring. Should I (30M) offer to upgrade it next year?

My SO and I have been together for years and have a very happy relationship. Before I go further, I just want to add that she is level headed and not materialistic. She's also sensible with money.

However, I've noticed that ever since I proposed, she's never really shown her ring to anyone unless asked. She even keeps her hands firmly in her pocket and reluctantly gets it out when someone asks her.

I got her a 1 carat ring as it was all I could afford. I thought she was happy but not sure anymore, especially after we went to her sister's, who joked that maybe she could get an upgrade soon.

Now instead of saying that she was happy with her ring, my fiancée nervously laughed and it was embarrassing for me.

I am aware that her sister and her friends have larger diamonds. However, the choice was between proposing now or waiting until next year so that I had enough savings.

I don't want to get carried away with negative emotions, because she has always been wonderful and a great partner.

Should I offer to upgrade her ring sometime next year? That's the earliest I'd be able to do it.

I want her to be happy and not embarrassed with the ring. She's not directly said anything but doesn't seem happy with it.

TLDR: My SO doesn't seem happy with her engagement ring. Should I offer to upgrade it next year?

lol american culture is so loving toxic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (23F) boyfriend (25M) doesn't say my name ever because it's his grandmother's name.

He's been calling me baby a lot, which is fine, but I wish we could either come up with a nickname that's kind of like my name or that he'd at least say it sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-qE-h7s84