Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Al Capwn posted:

I'm a shore sailor and I was sent on a COMPUTEX and recently got back from a deployment. That experience was cool and all but definitely changed my mindset of the Navy. Before all that I was definitely going to reenlist. Now with having spent 9 months at sea while on shore duty I am most definitely going to get out. I have 6 months until my PRD, and I have 10 months until my EAOS. Since it was easy for my CMC to send me off like that, im worried that if I tell my plans to not reenlist he will send me TAD somewhere again and thus ruin potential plans I have set about leaving. If he tries to send me TAD again for whatever reason, is there a way to contest or fight it?

If you're willing to be a dirtbag about it? Sure. Develop some medical problems or family issues.

Otherwise just keep quiet about your plans to not reenlist for as long as possible. Going to TGPS under the radar is probably impossible so delay that as long as possible. That should buy you a few months until you have to drop chits for TGPS and to match PRD with EAOS. Before you drop those chits, get some strategically spaced-out leave periods approved for dates leading up to when you're separating. Meanwhile do your job as well as possible, and maybe pick up an important collateral duty. The best way to avoid being sent away is to be useful where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZcohenCNN/status/1105888383287595008

Sounds about on par for the Gator Navy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The First Ship, this fall on NBC.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Al Capwn posted:

I'm a shore sailor and I was sent on a COMPUTEX and recently got back from a deployment. That experience was cool and all but definitely changed my mindset of the Navy. Before all that I was definitely going to reenlist. Now with having spent 9 months at sea while on shore duty I am most definitely going to get out. I have 6 months until my PRD, and I have 10 months until my EAOS. Since it was easy for my CMC to send me off like that, im worried that if I tell my plans to not reenlist he will send me TAD somewhere again and thus ruin potential plans I have set about leaving. If he tries to send me TAD again for whatever reason, is there a way to contest or fight it?

Don't tell anyone you're getting out until the last possible minute because a large chunk of the lifers in the Navy will take it as a personal insult that you're not also going to spend 20+ years in the Navy.

Probably nothing you can do to fight TAD orders in most cases.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

anti-vaxxers are now becoming a national security threat

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

The First Ship, this fall on NBC.

:lol:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wait, they say it's "similar to mumps"? Do they not loving know what it is :eek:

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, they say it's "similar to mumps"? Do they not loving know what it is :eek:

All they know is that it’s not responsive to Motrin.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Jesus sailors are loving disgusting

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Jesus sailors are loving disgusting

the disease is like definitely from prostitutes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

the disease is like definitely from prostitutes

Reminds me of when I visited a minesweeper that was a museum ship in Omaha when I was 12. There was this WW2 vet there with his wife and he told me, unprompted, about how when he served on a minesweeper that it was so crowded that when one jackass sailor got a case of crabs, the whole crew ended up with them.

God bless that old man :911:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Well, looks like my orders finally popped, I got VP-9 over in Whidbey. Can't wait to move back to the beautiful big grey skies of the Northwest.

Now I just gotta figure out how to move my cat cross country.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God bless that old man :911:

o7

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Well, looks like my orders finally popped, I got VP-9 over in Whidbey. Can't wait to move back to the beautiful big grey skies of the Northwest.

Now I just gotta figure out how to move my cat cross country.

I had a good experience with Alaska Airlines when I got out, their pet policy is reasonable and they had a direct flight from SEA all the way to FLL. I don't know exactly where you're flying from but that's about as cross-country as it gets.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MancXVI posted:

I had a good experience with Alaska Airlines when I got out, their pet policy is reasonable and they had a direct flight from SEA all the way to FLL. I don't know exactly where you're flying from but that's about as cross-country as it gets.

Closest airport they serve is MCO assuming he's in Jacksonville, but yeah - Alaska's definitely the best way to get to Seattle. Delta's trying to become the biggest domestic/international carrier there, but Alaska's 'saver' fares don't punish you nearly as much as Delta's do.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Al Capwn posted:

Hi I'm a career counselor.

My advice would be to develop a sound plan (in writing) on what you're going to do after the Navy, and the steps that you're going to take prior to separation to improve your chances of success. If that's looking for employment, you need time to develop a resume and network. If you're going to school, then you need to research schools and settle on a degree program. How are you going to do your move? Where will you live? How much leave are you taking so you have time to find housing? What will you do for insurance? That kind of poo poo. Make a timeline. You should do that even if it's all bullshit and you're planning to smoke weed every day on your GFs couch or whatever. Then you'll have something to show your CoC that you're serious about poo poo, and they're much more likely to let you do your thing.

I get the advice from others saying wait as long as possible, etc. but that doesn't get you rolling on the stuff you actually need to leave the Navy. You're going to want to get your MTF appointments done and taken care of prior to 6 months from your EAOS so you can get your VA paperwork completed. T-GPS is useful for some, not so much for others, but you can get something out of it if you pay attention.

Do you have a C-WAY reenlistment quota? If you do, and you're within 6 months of PRD (and you haven't been negotiating for orders) then you're about to be slammed with PCS orders. When that happens, you're going to be forced to admit that you're planning to separate. Your command will have to rescind your C-WAY quota and write and submit a Failure to OBLISERV message for you. That's negative attention you don't need. Your command has to do extra paperwork, and the command that filled a billet has to wait even longer to get somebody assigned (sometimes a lot longer), which doesn't please senior folks.

If you don't have a C-WAY quota, then your command should already know that you're planning to separate (or forgot about you). See my earlier advice. Have a good plan and communicate, and they're likely to go along with it. I haven't known any CO's that made it a mission to hassle Sailors trying to leave the Navy when it was on good terms.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DustyNuts posted:

Hi I'm a career counselor.

My advice would be to develop a sound plan (in writing) on what you're going to do after the Navy, and the steps that you're going to take prior to separation to improve your chances of success. If that's looking for employment, you need time to develop a resume and network. If you're going to school, then you need to research schools and settle on a degree program. How are you going to do your move? Where will you live? How much leave are you taking so you have time to find housing? What will you do for insurance? That kind of poo poo. Make a timeline. You should do that even if it's all bullshit and you're planning to smoke weed every day on your GFs couch or whatever. Then you'll have something to show your CoC that you're serious about poo poo, and they're much more likely to let you do your thing.

I get the advice from others saying wait as long as possible, etc. but that doesn't get you rolling on the stuff you actually need to leave the Navy. You're going to want to get your MTF appointments done and taken care of prior to 6 months from your EAOS so you can get your VA paperwork completed. T-GPS is useful for some, not so much for others, but you can get something out of it if you pay attention.

Do you have a C-WAY reenlistment quota? If you do, and you're within 6 months of PRD (and you haven't been negotiating for orders) then you're about to be slammed with PCS orders. When that happens, you're going to be forced to admit that you're planning to separate. Your command will have to rescind your C-WAY quota and write and submit a Failure to OBLISERV message for you. That's negative attention you don't need. Your command has to do extra paperwork, and the command that filled a billet has to wait even longer to get somebody assigned (sometimes a lot longer), which doesn't please senior folks.

If you don't have a C-WAY quota, then your command should already know that you're planning to separate (or forgot about you). See my earlier advice. Have a good plan and communicate, and they're likely to go along with it. I haven't known any CO's that made it a mission to hassle Sailors trying to leave the Navy when it was on good terms.

I feel like this comes up enough it should be in the first post. Good info.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

MancXVI posted:

Good to know, my roomate and I got the same squadron and detachment times so we're going back and forth on maybe doing a DIY move since we'll have the time and collecting some travel doesn't sound bad.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
What a cool dude.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh that got a lot darker than I was expecting.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Eh they probably didn't do poo poo until he really hosed up and ran up his travel card.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I feel like he was born 200 years too late. Still can’t believe he made commander with his trail of destroyed careers in his wake.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

EBB posted:

Eh they probably didn't do poo poo until he really hosed up and ran up his travel card.

If only he had ordered t-shirts made with his GTCC

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel like he was born 200 years too late. Still can’t believe he made commander with his trail of destroyed careers in his wake.

My future looks bright

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

See if I make 0-6 my power tripping will be limited to using wax seals on the flight schedule and sneaking a cat on the ship.

If I hit 0-7 I plan to drive by the Academy everyday and yell "Dweebs" at the Midshipmen.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Jimmy4400nav posted:

See if I make 0-6 my power tripping will be limited to using wax seals on the flight schedule and sneaking a cat on the ship.

If I hit 0-7 I plan to drive by the Academy everyday and yell "Dweebs" at the Midshipmen.

Why not just get the commander's billet for the academy and make their lives miserable as a career?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I’d follow you through the gates of Valhalla.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

EBB posted:

Why not just get the commander's billet for the academy and make their lives miserable as a career?

But then I'd have to actually be at the Academy!

Although if I was in charge I'd make everyone wear 18th century midshipmen uniforms and for their summers they'd have to spend time on ships or bases as Undesignated Seaman.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’d follow you through the gates of Valhalla.

Follow me and you'll have all the cookies you could want!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You’ve seen the parade uniforms they already have right?

They should bring back those for actual officers along with the mop head gold epaulettes and the pirates of penzance hats.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 18, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Fuuuuuuck the Navy.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fuuuuuuck the Navy.

New Thread title?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

But then I'd have to actually be at the Academy!

Although if I was in charge I'd make everyone wear 18th century midshipmen uniforms and for their summers they'd have to spend time on ships or bases as Undesignated Seaman.

Follow me and you'll have all the cookies you could want!

You are combining my love of old uniforms with my extreme devotion to baked goods.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Al Capwn posted:

Limdu baby, gotta get that va claim shored up. Non-deployable. All the cool kids are doing it these days.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fuuuuuuck the Navy.

SHIPMATE! Pull up along side but don't tie up! :chiefsay:

Lets talk about your career.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

This is how the merchant marine does it, except for the uniforms.

Also between cadet runs, I’d find work as an ordinary seaman to pay for school. I’ve picked up an awful lot of ferry puke for beer money.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fuuuuuuck the Navy.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Welp, I almost just gave my wife a heart attack. My prospective chief in SD messaged me on FB this morning to say that my orders came through, and it looks like I'll be there in February.

Except my PRD is supposed to be in September. Mrs. Bad Guy didnt not react well to hearing that we would be spending another 5 months in Great Lakes, to include another winter.

Then my prospective chief clarified that my PRD is still in Sep, I just have a couple schools en route, thank god.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Good luck in San Diego. Might want to get a motorcycle and ride into work because traffic is a motherfucker.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Welp, I almost just gave my wife a heart attack. My prospective chief in SD messaged me on FB this morning to say that my orders came through, and it looks like I'll be there in February.

Except my PRD is supposed to be in September. Mrs. Bad Guy didnt not react well to hearing that we would be spending another 5 months in Great Lakes, to include another winter.

Then my prospective chief clarified that my PRD is still in Sep, I just have a couple schools en route, thank god.

Good news! Your schools are in PAX RIVER! It's like all the wonders of winter in Great Lakes, except in the middle of NOWHERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Good news! Your schools are in PAX RIVER! It's like all the wonders of winter in Great Lakes, except in the middle of NOWHERE.

Pax River's not *that* bad. It has all the capitalist creature comforts you need around it now - though they're all wholly concentrated on a fixed stretch of Three Notch Rd. But yeah, it's about 45-60m one-way to the Branch Ave Metro station through a lot of really rural area.