Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Superman beating Bizarro to death while crying will never not be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

Here's a series of video essays that takes a critical but levelheaded look at the MCU and its more popular issues that's worth a watch imo. They do a pretty good job informing those popular issues in a way that isn't fanboy-ish or vitriolic; they're well presented and put together, mimicking the style/feel of Every Frame a Painting's essays pretty well.

I personally agree with a lot of what the guy has to say and have echo'd similar sentiments elsewhere for some time, but he thinks Whedon is some kind of visionary filmmaker and that's a hard disagree on my end lol. But otherwise, so far the videos were a good watch. It's a three part series I believe. Here are the first two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Bq_jK0Z1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIJ4HzLiIE

Willems also did an earlier video about the color grading in the MCU (which he talks about again in part 2).

He's a pretty fun film youtuber in general.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

teagone posted:

Here's a series of video essays that takes a critical but levelheaded look at the MCU and its more popular issues that's worth a watch imo. They do a pretty good job informing those popular issues in a way that isn't fanboy-ish or vitriolic; they're well presented and put together, mimicking the style/feel of Every Frame a Painting's essays pretty well.

I personally agree with a lot of what the guy has to say and have echo'd similar sentiments elsewhere for some time, but he thinks Whedon is some kind of visionary filmmaker and that's a hard disagree on my end lol. But otherwise, so far the videos were a good watch. It's a three part series I believe. Here are the first two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Bq_jK0Z1Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIJ4HzLiIE

Those videos are well argued. I just wish that he, and a lot of youtubers in general, would quit it with the skits and framing devices. They are always the most skip worthy section of the videos.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Karloff posted:

Those videos are well argued. I just wish that he, and a lot of youtubers in general, would quit it with the skits and framing devices. They are always the most skip worthy section of the videos.

Without skits and framing devices and jokes, almost no one would watch these kinds of videos. There's a reason the first media analysis videos to get big on youtube were the Mr. Plinkett stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Saw Captain Marvel tonight and it... might be the MCU movie I like the least? Like I'd need to go back and rewatch Hulk / Iron Man 2 / Thor 2 to really say for sure, but the whole thing felt weird. All the bits were there, all the trademark Marvel tropes were present but the pieces just didn't fit together right?

Come As You Are being in Carol's second thing with the Supreme Intelligence / Just a Girl for the fight with the Kree was super weird because it's like... trying to do a Guardians thing, but there's a diagetic reason for those songs to be in the film, vs Carol isn't really attached to the 90s, she disappeared in 89, and those songs came out in 92/late 95, respectively, and it feels like I'm being nitpicky but I think maybe that serves as a microcosm of the whole thing where like... this is how the other films do it so we'll do it like that but it doesn't quite do it right?

Fuckin making a geocities website and making magic eyes for the film and the best you got for 90s poo poo is a Blockbuster in the first 15 minutes and two songs that don't really fit?

I guess I'm just frustrated that it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Without skits and framing devices and jokes, almost no one would watch these kinds of videos. There's a reason the first media analysis videos to get big on youtube were the Mr. Plinkett stuff.

How else are we to understand how bad an old NES game was if we don't have James Rolfe fake pooping on his annoying friend, who is dressed as a character from the game?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

How else are we to understand how bad an old NES game was if we don't have James Rolfe fake pooping on his annoying friend, who is dressed as a character from the game?

If only teachers screamed incoherently in class when talking about bad grammar or incorrect calculus and stomped on the papers while dressed as Mario, the average SAT score would go up a hundredfold.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Karloff posted:

I think some of his framing devices work well (notably the visits to his parents) but the Charlie Brown stuff in the first video didn't do anything for me at all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

I personally agree with a lot of what the guy has to say and have echo'd similar sentiments elsewhere for some time, but he thinks Whedon is some kind of visionary filmmaker and that's a hard disagree on my end lol.

Probably the best thing to happen to the MCU was Whedon calling it quits and the Russos taking over as the "prestige" directors. I'm extremely glad that the long tail of Joss Whedon's tenure as the darlingest nerd darling seems to have run its course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sockser posted:

Come As You Are being in Carol's second thing with the Supreme Intelligence / Just a Girl for the fight with the Kree was super weird because it's like... trying to do a Guardians thing, but there's a diagetic reason for those songs to be in the film, vs Carol isn't really attached to the 90s, she disappeared in 89, and those songs came out in 92/late 95, respectively, and it feels like I'm being nitpicky but I think maybe that serves as a microcosm of the whole thing where like... this is how the other films do it so we'll do it like that but it doesn't quite do it right?

It's 1995 when the 1995 song is playing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

It's 1995 when the 1995 song is playing.

The SI has no exposure to it, nor has Carol at that point.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nirvana is not limited by such mortal concerns. -Kurt Cobain

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you have to logic it through, maybe Kree spies heard Come as You Are in 1992, and the 1995 song is from the Skrulls hiding on the ship. Or maybe Carol heard both of those songs while in the bar with Nick Fury going through his life story (where she blew up the jukebox).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

The SI has no exposure to it.

You don't know that, maybe there's a Kree agent on earth with a subscription to Columbia House shipping CDs back to Hala.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Kree are obviously aware of Earth, and Minn-Erva’d even been there once.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Being publicly dismissive of Earth culture while consuming all the bits they like without paying for them seems very much in theme, yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

You don't know that, maybe there's a Kree agent on earth with a subscription to Columbia House shipping CDs back to Hala.

That doesn't track with the scene at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most soundtracks are not diegetic. Much of Guardians' soundtrack isn't even diegetic even if all those songs are on Peter's cassette.

Korath doesn't hear Gwen Stefani while he's getting his rear end beat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Baby Driver is an example of a diagetic soundtrack

The Natural is an example of a diabetic soundtrack

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Some of that stuff briefly bothered me but then I realized it can be easily explained if it needed to be. Come as you are? Earworm, she heard it offscreen at some point and Supreme Smartie latched onto it while mind melding. That song can stick with you, especially when it was new. Plus the lyrics probably have meaning in the moment but I'll leave that to someone's future youtube essay to dig into.

Went for a second viewing with my brother and even liked No Doubt better this time though I'm still tired of its decades of radio overplay.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sorry, diagetic was the wrong term, I was tired and a bit drunk—
The guardians songs all have a reason to be there though, and that makes it fun— these are the songs on Peter’s tape(s)
But then Come as You Are comes up in a scene where Carol has gotten back her memories and now the image of Mar-Vell is wearing her Pegasus jacket and then a song is playing that came out after Carol left Earth- and the SI even comments that she likes Carol’s addition of music to the vision

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, most movies just have soundtracks with no meaning behind them. It only stands out here because in the MCU nearly all of them only have a score and maybe one song or two.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

There's a lot of driving I'm assuming we don't see where the radio was probably on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fury was very into grunge. Well known fact.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don’t get why they had to put it in the 90s at all. I’m wondering if there was going to be more involving the 90s as a period that ended up being cut out of the script or on the cutting room floor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they wanted to show Fury's origins and cement Carol as the true first avenger and the reason they were created

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think they wanted to show Fury's origins and cement Carol as the true first avenger and the reason they were created
They could have made that almost any time though

As was pointed out she disappeared in 1989

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fury's origins would need to be roughly mid 90s though

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Turns out an Asgardian Led Zepplin cover band was just out of frame during the rainbow bridge fight in Ragnarok.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally i thought come as you are was a bit much, but you can just explain it away pretty easily by saying she heard it on the radio on one of the long drives she and fury were doing throughout the movie

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marvel: "Captain Marvel is the number one movie in the world!"
Chud: "But not when Endgame comes out!"

Yes, clearly, Marvel having two back to back number one flicks is them being hoisted by their own petard.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I know it's over thinking it but Fury should have had the radio in his own car locked down. Nothing but smooth jazz and new jack swing on those long car rides.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cap's still the First Avenger since that was established in WW2. Carol just gave them the name.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first avenger in alphabetical order is Ant-man

Caps subtitle may have been The First Avenger, but it didn't exist at the time and he didn't inspire it's creation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Anthony Stark. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Caps subtitle may have been The First Avenger, but it didn't exist at the time and he didn't inspire it's creation.

He inspired SHIELD (which would later become full of nazis nice job Cap) which created the Avengers.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

America, Captain.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

Anthony Stark. :colbert:

When some of the strings being ordered consist of more than one word, i.e., they contain spaces or other separators such as hyphens, then two basic approaches may be taken. In the first approach all strings are ordered initially according to their first word, as in the sequence:

Ant, Ant-Man, Anthony, Ants

In the second approach, strings are alphabetized as if they had no spaces, giving the sequence:

Ant, Anthony, Ant-Man, Ants

The second approach is the one usually taken in dictionaries, while the first approach has often been used in book indexes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I know it's over thinking it but Fury should have had the radio in his own car locked down. Nothing but smooth jazz and new jack swing on those long car rides.

He’s clearly established as a Motown man. My mom really appreciated that he name dropped the Marvelettes, and sang “Mister Postman”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IUG posted:

America, Captain.

Allen, Barry (it’s just a matter of time)