Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
From my experience with my cousin, it doesn't matter that bolso is the complete opposite to what a "good religious person" should be. He owns it to the libs, and to the feminists, and to those ~dirty fabela scum~ and they will defend anything he does.

I see that a lot with hardcore religious people tho. They will accept anything that should be against their morals as long as someone is harming the people they hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He attacks gays, he wants to make easier for the police to execute ""bad people", he is against communists (who are bad people), abortion, he talks about god and prays and he defends "the traditional family".

How can he not be good? Thats what it means to be good to a lot of people, doenst matter if you are obviously a hateful egoistical hypocrite, follow these bullet points and you are good to go to heaven. You got to believe something like this to see holiness in scum like Malafaia, Edir Macedo etc

And then theres those people who dont really give a gently caress about him being good or not, they just want blood on the favelas and persecution for the people they hate (femminists, gays, leftists etc), they just talk about good and evil (and "christianity", "western civilization" etc) to justify it

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Mar 13, 2019

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

they just want blood on the favelas and persecution for the people they hate (femminists, gays, leftists etc), they just talk about good and evil (and "christianity", "western civilization" etc) to justify it

Remember when Elite Squad was criticism of how excessive police violence doesn't actually solve anything and in fact only turns good(and perhaps naive) into killing machines and people only saw "gently caress yeah kill everyone in the favelas noice"

Glad it only got worse since then

Halser has issued a correction as of 13:09 on Mar 13, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Halser posted:

Remember when Elite Squad was criticism of how excessive police violence doesn't actually solve anything and in fact only turns good(and perhaps naive) into killing machines people only saw "gently caress yeah kill everyone in the favelas noice"

Glad it only got worse since then

Everyone knows it doenst solves anything. Everyone has to know, because that is what Brazil has been doing against crime and violence, this is already our normal, and it didint solved anything, like we can see

Bolsonarism solution to violence (let the PM kill, beat and torture like they please with no consequences) is just to expand on what we have already been doing for at least half a century, and people actually believes this is going to solve crime? I think most of them dont believe that, actually, not really. Its about hate and vengeange, is not about solving anything

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

In the evangelical worldview, any leader who stands to seriously hurt your enemies was "chosen by God" no matter how repulsive or sacrilegious they are.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

We're becoming the US.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Plutonis posted:

We're becoming the US.

We have our Turmp, we have our dumb idiots calling for gun ownership, we he have those same dumb idiots screaming about immigrants (even though immigration is not a problem here at all) and crying about "white genocide", and now we are catching up on the american tradition of school shootings, and also all the dumb arguments that those events always trigger

This is Brazil becoming GREAT

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Immigration isn't a problem at all in the USA either but lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Moridin920 posted:

Immigration isn't a problem at all in the USA either but lol

Its even less here, immigrants are a irrelevant percentage of the population

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Everyone knows it doenst solves anything. Everyone has to know, because that is what Brazil has been doing against crime and violence, this is already our normal, and it didint solved anything, like we can see

Bolsonarism solution to violence (let the PM kill, beat and torture like they please with no consequences) is just to expand on what we have already been doing for at least half a century, and people actually believes this is going to solve crime? I think most of them dont believe that, actually, not really. Its about hate and vengeange, is not about solving anything

It's a fact of social hierarchies that those in the middle classes who harbor resentments against those above them redirect it at those below them. To express one's real resentment is to risk having one's station lowered, becoming vulnerable to more redirected anger from above. Eventually the action becomes self-justifying; the problems are believed to actually be caused by the lower classes.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Plutonis posted:

We're becoming the US.

I check G1's comment section sometimes(self flagellation) and I couldn't help but laugh when one old lady posted "god help these families in this difficult time" in the middle of the left-right poo poo flinging and promptly got verbally assaulted by both sides at once.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, great, I spend the whole day offline and we get school shootings. Fuckin' hell, Brazil, I can't keep my eyes off you for a goddamn minute.

Also I like that G1 is already talking about "videogames". Do we have to follow the USA's school shooting flowchart that hard?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToKIyGGiYs

Bolso's family has deep ties to paramilitary right wing death squads. Probably a coincidence :thunk:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/PersonalEscrito/status/1107071094886940678

*Bad Albert Wesker voice* TU VAIS DAR-ME UM OVO

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Seems to be an old image. Bolso is in the US now fellating Trump.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1107718182490517506

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So the federal government is not going to hire people and do concursos publicos for a while which is sure to worsen the public sector on the long run as people are trying to retire ASAP before the new pension reform comes through and fucks them in fhe rear end and it'll be used to justify mass privatization/shutting down of several sectors. Lol.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Imagine making your vassalage this obvious

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Free Lula!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Bolsonaro just removed the retaliatory Visa requirements for the US prior to the meeting

master negotiatior in a gathering of big brains

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

nerdz posted:

Bolsonaro just removed the retaliatory Visa requirements for the US prior to the meeting

master negotiatior in a gathering of big brains

retaliatory requirements? I thought they were just regular visa requirements, did I miss something?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Symbolic Butt posted:

retaliatory requirements? I thought they were just regular visa requirements, did I miss something?

it's not retaliatory, it's reciprocal. Americans, japanese, canadians and autralians will no longer need visas for visits <90 days. This is a freebie, these countries will still require visas.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Magrov posted:

it's not retaliatory, it's reciprocal. Americans, japanese, canadians and autralians will no longer need visas for visits <90 days. This is a freebie, these countries will still require visas.
From an Australian point of view, while the visa requirement was reciprocal the process was definitely not. For a Brazilian to get a tourist visa to Australia, it's about 30 mins online and your e-visa gets sent to you by email about ten minutes later. For an Australian to get a visa it's the standard 19th century Brazilian bureaucracy shite with sending your passport to the embassy poo poo and 15 days processing. Given Brazil is unlikely to be able to implement a streamlined process, might as well remove it altogether. It's not like they have much to worry about visa overstayers ;)

Although, I do hope they kept the reciprocal fee, like Argentina and other countries do (no visa, but a fee payable at airport based on tourist visa cost).

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Magrov posted:

it's not retaliatory, it's reciprocal.

oh I see, Bolsonaro likes framing things in a complete bullshit way like "current gun laws were retaliatory measures the Workers' Party created to punish honest citizens for being hard workers" so I was wondering if there was some of that here.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mr. Bolsanaro goes to Washington

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1108046883023454210

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Makes u think

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Wasn't trump literally extorting NATO members over contributions? lol

also, we're deffo invading Venezuela

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Dilma was never imprisoned, she was just impeached.
I mean, she definitely was imprisoned and tortured, but that was back in the 70's when she was fighting the dictatorship.

The whole impeachment process was a hilarious lot of bullshit, and IIRC some congressmen used really inane justifications to vote in favor of the impeachment, like "God wills it" or similar garbage. I do believe the entire country knew implicitly that it was unfair but didn't really care as they hoped a sudden change would perhaps make things work out(it didn't) and there was obviously a lot of political interest in taking out Lula's pupil out of the picture.

With that in mind, I do think Lula is guilty of being corrupt. Virtually no politician in brazil is clean. I used to think Moro himself was, but him being chosen as minister of justice(when he previously said he wasn't interested) made me raise an eyebrow so hard it nearly got ripped off.

Halser has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Mar 19, 2019

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Halser posted:

I mean, she definitely was imprisoned and tortured, but that was back in the 70's when she was fighting the dictatorship.

The whole impeachment process was a hilarious lot of bullshit, and IIRC some congressmen used really inane justifications to vote in favor of the impeachment, like "God wills it" or similar garbage. I do believe the entire country knew implicitly that it was unfair but didn't really care as they hoped a sudden change would perhaps make things work out(it didn't) and there was obviously a lot of political interest in taking out Lula's pupil out of the picture.

With that in mind, I do think Lula is guilty of being corrupt. Virtually no politician in brazil is clean. I used to think Moro himself was, but him being chosen as minister of justice(when he previously said he wasn't interested) made me raise an eyebrow so hard it nearly got ripped off.

This is not a defense of corruption, but in Brazil everything gets done through corruption, from the hiring of a despachante to make your paperwork be processed faster, to the paying of your doctor with no receipt. The cracking down on corruption therefore has been inherently political. Dilma was only impeached because PT decided to vote against Cunha in his own legal troubles, and because Dilma had used the lista triplice to select the attorney general suggested by other attorneys, instead of a political hack. As a result, she paid the penalty for not being corrupt enough. Moro has never been clean. From his releasing to the public illegal wiretaps of Dilma and Lula, to his wife campaigning openly against the PT, to him talking to Bolsonaro's campaign during the campaign itself, it has all be extremely corrupt. It's just that in Brazil there is this very consequentialist idea of morality: if it gets the results we want, who cares. If Moro gets PT out of power, who cares if he violates any ethical principles? Who cares if his Lula decision is 100% incompatible with his decision regarding the wife of Eduardo Cunha (a reminder, he found the wife of Eduardo Cunha not guilty because even though there were millions of dollars in accounts in her name that she used to buy really extravagant stuff, Moro argued that there was no evidence that she knew that those millions were ill-gotten). It's like the complaints that PT was "aparelhando" the state. The accusation being that they were nominating a bunch of people who were politically aligned with them. Now, did PT create those positions? No, they were the positions that normally went to the cousin of your local political ally, or some poo poo like that. A government nominating the failson of some local gangster to run the local post office? Business as usual. PT nominating someone from the party to run it? An outrageous attempt to infiltrate the state and spread their ideology.

In other words, it's this:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Halser posted:

He corrected the tweet later on

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

joepinetree posted:

It's like the complaints that PT was "aparelhando" the state. The accusation being that they were nominating a bunch of people who were politically aligned with them. Now, did PT create those positions? No, they were the positions that normally went to the cousin of your local political ally, or some poo poo like that. A government nominating the failson of some local gangster to run the local post office? Business as usual. PT nominating someone from the party to run it? An outrageous attempt to infiltrate the state and spread their ideology.

Not just that, but if PT really was trying to stack up state positions with its cronies for future benefit and dominance, hot -drat- they sucked at it.

Pretty much every last person they appointed, especially to the courts, either sold them out or glanced nervously at their nails as the inquisition got in gear. We've got scions of other parties skating free after being caught with planes and choppers full of cocaine, but none of PT's famed political goons could clear their throat to say that maybe taking a dump on the constitution and due process with bizarre legal rationales that are used once and then quetly stowed away was bullshit.

It's darkly funny that brazilian labour bent itself backward to try and please the military by boosting its status and pay, giving it internation missions it craved (Haiti) and integrating them into infra-structure jobs), as well as grant the Federal Police independence and respect, only to have them gleefully stab them at the first oportunity. There really is no placating.

As Joe said, no one cares as long as the results are right at the end of the day. The supposedly educated, 'moderate' elite would do away with habeas corpus, free press and a number of other oh-so-valued Enlightenment values in an eyeblink if it felt they would spoil their goals. I wish I still believed that brazilian media will learn its lesson after wailing over the supposed press-hating bolivarianist labour governments for 10+ years only to be declared Enemy of the People in a very real way two months in by the monster they gestated, but we all know they'll be back to arguing a 1.3% tax hike is the -real- tyranny the moment any remotely progressive force comes to power.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Lol if you think media will change.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I absolutely agree that politics in brazil(and pretty much everything else) only works when the gears are greased with corruption. That mentality seeps into every loving aspect of life in the country, from politics to online games.

Sephyr posted:

Not just that, but if PT really was trying to stack up state positions with its cronies for future benefit and dominance, hot -drat- they sucked at it.

Pretty much every last person they appointed, especially to the courts, either sold them out or glanced nervously at their nails as the inquisition got in gear. We've got scions of other parties skating free after being caught with planes and choppers full of cocaine, but none of PT's famed political goons could clear their throat to say that maybe taking a dump on the constitution and due process with bizarre legal rationales that are used once and then quetly stowed away was bullshit.

It's darkly funny that brazilian labour bent itself backward to try and please the military by boosting its status and pay, giving it internation missions it craved (Haiti) and integrating them into infra-structure jobs), as well as grant the Federal Police independence and respect, only to have them gleefully stab them at the first oportunity. There really is no placating.

As Joe said, no one cares as long as the results are right at the end of the day. The supposedly educated, 'moderate' elite would do away with habeas corpus, free press and a number of other oh-so-valued Enlightenment values in an eyeblink if it felt they would spoil their goals. I wish I still believed that brazilian media will learn its lesson after wailing over the supposed press-hating bolivarianist labour governments for 10+ years only to be declared Enemy of the People in a very real way two months in by the monster they gestated, but we all know they'll be back to arguing a 1.3% tax hike is the -real- tyranny the moment any remotely progressive force comes to power.

I can only imagine the thing of poo poo that happened behind the curtains for Dilma to end up as a scapegoat and for Aécio "Coke Fiend" Neves to end up scot free. Pretty sure there was a lot of infighting in the worker's party too, but we'll probably only know the details decades from now.

And hey, the stock exchange reached 100.000 points! The system works! Don't ask where that money is though.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
PT's downfall began in 2013, imo

with the mass protests erupting, both the government and the usual rightist ghouls tried putting it down

but as the movement evolved and got really big, the right-wing embraced it as anti-government and anti-PT, and pretty much controlled the narrative since then

PT kept decrying "nazi black blocs" (lol) instead of using the originally left-wing anti bus fare protests to pass left policies, also Dilma made huge concessions that made the government look weak

Dilma won 2014 by a slim margin but the tide was clearly turning, with lunatics being given the pulpit by the press and justices politically persecuting Lula more openly than ever before

This all adds up to today, i can't believe 6 years ago i was being teargassed in front of Zero Hora only for the chudosphere to capitalize on it

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

bagual posted:

PT's downfall began in 2013, imo

with the mass protests erupting, both the government and the usual rightist ghouls tried putting it down

but as the movement evolved and got really big, the right-wing embraced it as anti-government and anti-PT, and pretty much controlled the narrative since then

PT kept decrying "nazi black blocs" (lol) instead of using the originally left-wing anti bus fare protests to pass left policies, also Dilma made huge concessions that made the government look weak

Dilma won 2014 by a slim margin but the tide was clearly turning, with lunatics being given the pulpit by the press and justices politically persecuting Lula more openly than ever before

This all adds up to today, i can't believe 6 years ago i was being teargassed in front of Zero Hora only for the chudosphere to capitalize on it

Agreed, but there were other signs as well. Hell, you can even set the movie Tropa de Elite as an early marker of the new brazilian chud wave. A movie that is blatantly a cautionary tale about how the system will bend both law enforcement and crime itself to its benefit (the sequel pretty much shouts it from the rooftops), and all everyone went crazy were the cool torture, the executions and the cult-ish aspects of the BOPE. If I had a dime for each well-born 'moderate' I saw quoting 'Faca na Caveira' and 'Pede pra sair' that year, I'd be able to afford a private med school.

But yes, the 2013 protests showed blood in the water, and it was almost comical how the establishment did an about face on it. Monday editorials would be literally "These bums want everything for free, stop squealing about a 20 cent increase!" and by thursday it was "Hail the brave protesters, enemies of all that is corrupt and wrong in our country!" . My boss at the time literally went from callimg them useless parasites one day to calling me the next really excited that he had attended a protest and gotten tear gassed, it was rad!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think that the main outcome of 2013 was to shatter the image of invulnerability of the PT. It allowed the centrao to ask for more than before because they knew the tough spot PT was in, which is what led to Eduardo Cunha becoming the speaker of the house and the ultimate downfall of Dilma. That said, it is clear that if it wasn't through the political process, it would have been something else, as Lava Jato had a very clear goal in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

joepinetree posted:

I think that the main outcome of 2013 was to shatter the image of invulnerability of the PT. It allowed the centrao to ask for more than before because they knew the tough spot PT was in, which is what led to Eduardo Cunha becoming the speaker of the house and the ultimate downfall of Dilma. That said, it is clear that if it wasn't through the political process, it would have been something else, as Lava Jato had a very clear goal in mind.

Oh yeah. gently caress, I remember that when I came to Argentina in 2014 the big moral scandal of the day was that some government secretary or minister had out a tapioca on his corporate card and everyone was shocked, shocked! that such an egregious abuse had been comitted.