Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Did anyone mention he also had "MAGA Forever" scrawled on his hand?

NBC news pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
A mob boss getting shot by a MAGA chud who wants to gently caress his niece is EXACTLY what would happen in a hypothetical 2019 Sopranos episode

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Ok so I want to know. WTF is up with the okay hand gesture. I know some people are saying some white supremacists have hijacked it for covert signaling or something? Is this an actual thing? I don't understand how that would have started.

p1: *Gives okay symbol*

p2: Cool so everything is ok.

p3: No, no, no. It really means white power. :ssh:

It seems somehow both absurd and a thing. I am unironically dumbfounded. How did this even start? It honestly looks like a lot of people playing the circle game.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 18, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol if anyone here has heard about that Qanon guy who murdered an Italian mob boss apparently he got access to him with the exact same ploy as Zemo from Civil War getting into that sleeper Hydra agents house. Crashed his car into his parked car and then shot him when he opened the door to talk about it.

Cross post from Cinema Discusso.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

C2C - 2.0 posted:

That seems contradictory.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This was a really good PSA interview with The Intercept's Mehdi Hasan (with timestamp so you can skip to the interview)

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1107767974155423744

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1107770797731401729

:munch:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

syntaxrigger posted:

Ok so I want to know. WTF is up with the okay hand gesture. I know some people are saying some white supremacists have hijacked it for covert signaling or something? Is this an actual thing? I don't understand how that would have started.

It seems somehow both absurd and a thing. I am unironically dumbfounded. How did this even start?

1. Random 8chan post: "Hey let's own the liberal media by making them think an OK sign is a white nationalist symbol, theyll look so silly and we'll have triumphed by manipulating them so"
2. Lots of militia types and skinheads pose doing an OK symbol as part of the joke
3. Media outlets pick up on this, report that the OK hand is a white nationalist symbol
4. "lol we sure owned the libs" *white nationalists continue doing OK symbol because now it's a meme*

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Given that NPR is a koch funded joke that puts out disingenuous hitpieces on good things like SSDI it should probably be defunded and left to fend for itself. A traditional public broadcaster charges all radio and TV havers a license fee to fund programming. NPR is charity radio that begs its listeners for money while relying on huge grants from billionaire foundations.

You realize that the reason NPR turned to outside funding is because the Republicans have been doing this poo poo for decades?

The correct answer is to restore their funding so that they are not reliant on billionaires to pay the bills.

Good fact based media serving the public's interest is a good thing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

syntaxrigger posted:

It seems somehow both absurd and a thing. I am unironically dumbfounded. How did this even start? It honestly looks like a lot of people playing the circle game.

Somebody was like, "Let's pretend this is a white power symbol to make people think it's a white power symbol!" like how there's those lists of fake text acronyms that go around to try to trick gullible parents into thinking their teenagers are "Totally Boning Hitler" when they type "tbh" or whatever. Since the white power people are stupid, they took it as real, made it real, and now it's real.

Ague Proof posted:

That seems contradictory.

Smell ya later forever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

syntaxrigger posted:

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1107291579486781443

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Pakled posted:

1. Random 8chan post: "Hey let's own the liberal media by making them think an OK sign is a white nationalist symbol, theyll look so silly and we'll have triumphed by manipulating them so"
2. Lots of militia types and skinheads pose doing an OK symbol as part of the joke
3. Media outlets pick up on this, report that the OK hand is a white nationalist symbol
4. "lol we sure owned the libs" *white nationalists continue doing OK symbol because now it's a meme*

CPColin posted:

Somebody was like, "Let's pretend this is a white power symbol to make people think it's a white power symbol!" like how there's those lists of fake text acronyms that go around to try to trick gullible parents into thinking their teenagers are "Totally Boning Hitler" when they type "tbh" or whatever. Since the white power people are stupid, they took it as real, made it real, and now it's real.

Smell ya later forever.

So people used the internet to organize a hoax that became a thing. gently caress the future is dumb!

Thank you for the explanation.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I assume this won’t even get to discovery because they have no grounds to sue for access to a private application whose rules are not disproportionally impacting protected classes.

But discovery would be fun.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
They're absolutely terrified.

https://twitter.com/OutFrontCNN/status/1107780404927516672?s=19

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like the walls are closing in.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm Devin Nunes' Cow.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Skex posted:

You realize that the reason NPR turned to outside funding is because the Republicans have been doing this poo poo for decades?

The correct answer is to restore their funding so that they are not reliant on billionaires to pay the bills.

Good fact based media serving the public's interest is a good thing.

This is such a vague statement that it is essentially meaningless, NPR has been reliant on billionaire foundations for decades even before the GOP threatened to cut them off entirely. Take a look at their 2001 list of annual and new initiative funders: almost all of them are corporations or private foundations

The correct answer is to assess an annual license fee for every TV and radio you own and use that to pay for public media, not funneling a token public subsidy to the corporation for public broadcasting that then doles it out in grant form. Other than a brief period during the Reagan administration, funding for the CPB has gone up over time too.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Dick Trauma posted:

Our world is so incredibly stupid I don't even know how to process it.

https://twitter.com/QanonAnonymous/status/1107746493639720960

And this poo poo was not even mob related - sounds like he was dating or wanted to date the guy’s niece or something, and Cali was not on board with it. He just showed up to the dude’s house and killed him.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

This might be one of the best self owns over ever seen.

I cannot imagine wanting to permanently add that graphic into the legal system and display that in court.

I’d almost forgotten about his dumb rear end too. I hope he gets indicted right after throwing himself into the limelight like this.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

C2C - 2.0 posted:

That's Staten Island for you.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RasperFat posted:

This might be one of the best self owns over ever seen.

I cannot imagine wanting to permanently add that graphic into the legal system and display that in court.

I’d almost forgotten about his dumb rear end too. I hope he gets indicted right after throwing himself into the limelight like this.

Would be embarrassing if his Twitter PMs got leaked somehow.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The 'do you have drugs in your car and do you mind if we search your car' of poll questions

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Young Freud posted:

Would be embarrassing if his Twitter PMs got leaked somehow.

The amount of open criminal activity right now feels insane. There’s just been so much evidence of so many crimes, many of which require prison time, and now its been more than two years.

I’m getting more certain with every day that there will be no going back from Trump for the GOP, at least not in less than 15-20 years.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Why is it always "I'm suing for a Eleventy Billion Kajillion dollars".

Come on people, make your claim vaguely credible.

All these ludicrously inflated claims do is signal your an idiot with no case.

I mean even if Nunes is just doing this whole thing just for publicity or as part of some grift he needs attention for, show some goddamn restraint.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Odds on trump actually trying to use the "Q" bullshit to get his way before the year is out?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

syntaxrigger posted:

[url]https://www.adl.org/education-and-resources/resource-knowledge-base/hate-symbols?cat_id[153]=153[/url]

If you look at these there are a few that are similar to the "OK" hand gesture. Lots of them use two hands but I've seen skinheads and neo nazis use the one-handed OK symbol before or something extremely close to it. It's total speculation but I'd guess that some actual Neo Nazis or people associated with Nazis who had seen the gesture before got other people to do it, telling them it was a "joke" and "just a regular OK hand gesture to trigger the libs" but racists actually do use it as signal. Since they're white, racist shitbags joking that you're doing "white power" hand gestures when you're advocating for some variation of a white ethnostate (or backing people who do) then it isn't really much of a joke.

e:the stupid brackets are messing with the link and i dunno how to fix it

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 19, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RasperFat posted:

I’m getting more certain with every day that there will be no going back from Trump for the GOP, at least not in less than 15-20 years.

Central to understanding the modern GOP is internalizing the fact that Trump is not the cause, he's an effect. There is no "going back" because this what the GOP is and has been for more than a decade now. The Reagan Republicans and Neo-Cons are long gone. All that's left is a handful of dyed-in-the-wool ideologues, surrounded by an army of grifters.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

and even falsely stated that Nunes has "herp face"

quote:

4. Nunes’ career as a United States Congressman is distinguished by his honor, dedication and service to his constituents and his country, his honesty, integrity, ethics, and reputation for truthfulness and veracity.

:laffo:

quote:

5. In 2018, during his last re-election for the 22nd Congressional District, Nunes endured an orchestrated defamation campaign of stunning breadth and scope, one that no human being should ever have to bear and suffer in their whole life. Unlike prior elections, where Nunes won by sweeping majorities, Nunes won on November 6, 2018 by a much narrower margin, receiving 52.7% of the 222,379 votes. [https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california-house-district-22]. The malicious, false and defamatory statements and relentless attacks on Nunes’ reputation did not stop after he won the Congressional election in 2018. The defamation continues. It must be stopped.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 19, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

InsertPotPun posted:

Odds on trump actually trying to use the "Q" bullshit to get his way before the year is out?

That would just turn into Trump rambling about good and bad letters like a weird Sesame Street character

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Someone is suing Twitter for supposed shadow bans and people being mean to them."

"Fuckin' Loomer being crazy again."

"Actually, it's a sitting US congressman."

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

This is such a vague statement that it is essentially meaningless, NPR has been reliant on billionaire foundations for decades even before the GOP threatened to cut them off entirely. Take a look at their 2001 list of annual and new initiative funders: almost all of them are corporations or private foundations

The correct answer is to assess an annual license fee for every TV and radio you own and use that to pay for public media, not funneling a token public subsidy to the corporation for public broadcasting that then doles it out in grant form. Other than a brief period during the Reagan administration, funding for the CPB has gone up over time too.

The link you provided talks specifically about how the Republicans started going after CPB immediately after it's creation starting with the Nixon administration. I suggest you actually read the stuff you link, Also something of significance happened in 2000 and again in 2001 that affected the outlook of the organization and that's the period that really corresponds with NPRs decline as a objective source operating in the public's good.

Also even if it's public funding has increased the question is has it increased apace with inflation of content costs? Just because it's funding was going up doesn't mean that it was going up enough to alleviate the temptation to go for other revenue sources. Road to hell being paved with good intentions and all.

What needs to happen is that the CPB and it's affiliated organizations needs to be banned from accepting large donations from wealthy benefactors and required to operate on federal and small dollar individual donations with sufficient revenue allocated for them to be able to offer programming that is of competitive quality of the corporate offerings.

You can be as big an edgelord as you want but the world would be a much darker place if it wasn't for Sesame Street, Mr Rogers and the quality children's programming that came out of public television.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

But he went to Harrrrvardddd

Lmao, I was curious so I looked up and found out Benny boy's mom was a TV Executive and his dad was a composer. Of course they payed for their little boy to get in.

He probably is one of the people pointing out the "HOLLYWIERD LIBERALS BRIBING COLLEGES TO LET THEIR KIDS IN" as well :lol:

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Central to understanding the modern GOP is internalizing the fact that Trump is not the cause, he's an effect. There is no "going back" because this what the GOP is and has been for more than a decade now. The Reagan Republicans and Neo-Cons are long gone. All that's left is a handful of dyed-in-the-wool ideologues, surrounded by an army of grifters.

Oh yeah it’s been a 50 year road from the Southern Strategy to steadily dropping dogwhistles into the naked fascism we have now.

I’m saying that it’ll be a full generation before they can shift away from the full throttle bullhorn hatred, stupidity, and trolling. The old guard is quickly dying off and has been replaced by too many true believers. They’re stuck with the rage and outrageous partisanship for the foreseeable future. The 2020 election is only going to see a doubling down on it from Republicans, and probably through 2024. All with increasingly rabid primaries decided by an increasingly radicalized base.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
With the increased chatter and support for court stacking from some dems, is anyone else concerned that McConnell will just go and do his own stacking before Trump's term is up?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Devin Nunes’ Mom stated that Nunes had turned out worse than Jacob Wohl; falsely accused Nunes of being a racist, having “white supremist friends” and distributing “disturbing inflammatory racial propaganda”; falsely accused Nunes of putting up a “Fake News MAGA” sign outside a Texas Holocaust museum; falsely stated that Nunes would probably join the “Proud Boys”, “if it weren’t for that unfortunate ‘no masturbating’ rule”; disparagingly called him a “presidential fluffer and swamp rat”; falsely stated that Nunes had brought “shame” to his family; repeatedly accused Nunes of the crime of treason, compared him to Benedict Arnold, and called him a “traitor”, “treasonous shitbag”, a “treasonous Putin shill”, working for the “Kremlin”; falsely stated that Nunes was “100% bought and sold. He has no interest remaining for his constituents”; falsely accused Nunes of being part of the President’s “taint” team; falsely stated that Nunes was unfit to run the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence; falsely accused Nunes of “secretly hat[ing] the people he’s supposed to serve”; falsely accused Nunes of being a “lying piece of poo poo”; falsely stated that Nunes would lose custody of his children and was going to “the pen”; falsely accused Nunes of receiving pay for undermining “American Democracy”; falsely stated that Nunes was “the most despicably craven GOP public official” and that “Devin might be a unscrupulous, craven, back-stabbing, charlatan and traitor, but he’s no Ted Cruz”; falsely stated that Nunes was “voted ‘Most Likely to Commit Treason’ in high school”; falsely stated that “The people of California’s Central Valley are upright folk who work hard, look you square in the eye and give you a firm handshake. And then there is @DevinNunes”; falsely stated that Nunes is “not ALL about deceiving people. He’s also about betraying his country and colluding with Russians”; stated “I don’t know about Baby Hitler, but would sure-as-poo poo abort baby Devin”; falsely stated that “Alpha Omega wines taste like treason”; falsely stated that “@DevinNunes wanted me to tell everyone that he’ll be releasing a pic soon to get ahead of that AMI thing, and that it only looks that way because of all the blow”; falsely suggested that Nunes might be willing to give the President a “blowjob”; falsely stated “@Devin Nunes look @SpeakerRyan is removing @Rep_Hunter from his committee seat because he’s corrupt and incompetent. I wonder why he let you keep yours?”; falsely accused Nunes of “covering up Trump’s conspiracy against the United States”; falsely accused Nunes of lying to Congress; falsely accused Nunes of suborning “perjury”; falsely stated that “@Devin Nunes is DEFINITELY a feckless oval office”; falsely stated that “[i]f you vote for @Devin Nunes the terrorists win”; falsely stated “please don’t call @DevinNunes compromised. He’s not at all. He’s a complete and total loving traitor”; falsely stated that Nunes was a “spy” in Congress “passing along information to the subject of a federal investigation”; falsely stated that Nunes knows “a thing or two about throwing away evidence, don’t you Scabbers”; falsely claimed that Nunes was “WANTED” and hiding and “hopes he

15. The Urban Dictionary defines “taint” as the area of skin on a women between her vagina and her anus. [https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint].

quote:

The full scope of the conspiracy, including the names of all participants and the level of involvement of donors and members of the Democratic Party, is unknown at this time and will be the subject of discovery in this action

quote:

60. The identity of those behind these Twitter accounts is a matter of great public concern. Whether the accounts are controlled by wealthy Democrats, the Democratic National Committee, an opposition research firm, such as Fusion GPS [http://www.fusiongps.com/], the “Russians”, the “Chinese”, or some other foreign government or non-governmental organization (NGO), the corruption of American Democracy and society by intentional falsehoods, fraud and defamation must stop

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 19, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People should stop citing Urban Dictionary. Any idiot can add an entry, there are no standards.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I'm the misspelling of "woman"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

With the increased chatter and support for court stacking from some dems, is anyone else concerned that McConnell will just go and do his own stacking before Trump's term is up?

The size of the Supreme Court is set by statute (specifically the Judiciary Act of 1869) so any Supreme Court-packing plan requires both the House and the Senate to agree to amend/repeal that law, so it's not going to happen.

As to packing lower federal courts, however, he's already doing it. See: the record number of judicial appointments being made in Trump's first term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is the super bowl of own goals.

Edit: maybe he’ll add anyone who makes fun of the lawsuit into the lawsuit, which will quickly consume all nameable entities on earth into one ouroboros of litigation.