Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

therobit posted:

If you take off the "contains alcohol" labels and stick it in the fridge when a kid is coming over, you are being irresponsible.

What if the child doesn't understand what "contains alcohol" means, and then falls under the category of the child you were describing here:

therobit posted:

Cool so when you guys were under the age of 10 you never ate sweets without permission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

snergle posted:

so its totally cool that i throw random mushrooms into your food because they are plants and i found them outside in a field and did not cultivate them at all?

I genuflect before the cold, compelling logic of your reductio ad absurdum

Heliogabalos fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Whorelord posted:

AITA for going to see a concert with sexist lyrics against GF's wishes?

Man. I understand the "last chance to see" feeling, but having to pay 2019 Stones ticket prices to see the 2019 Stones is the real offensive part here.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Whorelord posted:

AITA for going to see a concert with sexist lyrics against GF's wishes?

Keith Richards is still alive? Lol

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Let us not forget that Heliogabalos' namesake was murdered and dismembered by his own countrymen due to his unpopular and eccentric views.

Makes u think.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

gently caress Your Website posted:

Let us not forget that Heliogabalos' namesake was murdered and dismembered by his own countrymen due to his unpopular and eccentric views.

Makes u think.

don't doxx me

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Power Khan posted:

There's no way of knowing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

blugu64 posted:

We've already had a poster in this thread who said their boyfriend mixed them with regular gummy bears. I mean come on, a kid who eats one could seriously get hurt if their judgment is impaired, even setting aside how damaging and scary it must be to a kid who has no idea what's happening. Those need to be banned yesterday.

a legal state banning people from buying or making edible brownies would be loving hilarious so i hope a ban on all weed desserts does happen

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

blugu64 posted:

We’ve already had a poster in this thread who said their boyfriend mixed them with regular gummy bears. I mean come on, a kid who eats one could seriously get hurt if their judgment is impaired, even setting aside how damaging and scary it must be to a kid who has no idea what’s happening. Those need to be banned yesterday.

He only did that to get past the TSA, to be fair. Plus, we don't ever have children over.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Power Khan posted:

Charlie Watts has been replaced with the embalmed corpse of Charlie Watts

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Power Khan posted:

falling asleep after asking me for a grilled cheese sandwich with cut up hot dogs in it and asking if we could watch a movie

:same:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

blugu64 posted:

We’ve already had a poster in this thread who said their boyfriend mixed them with regular gummy bears. I mean come on, a kid who eats one could seriously get hurt if their judgment is impaired, even setting aside how damaging and scary it must be to a kid who has no idea what’s happening. Those need to be banned yesterday.

In this bizarre hypothetical scenario it makes way more sense to ban children than edibles tbh. My dumbass brother used to try and eat ant traps as a child, better ban those too.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I’d be a lot less sympathetic to this lady if she’d left her edibles in the living room or on the kitchen counter. But they were in her bedroom. And that kid definitely knew the 15 minutes or so when the aunt was in the shower was the perfect time to go snooping around.

Yup, it's not like she left her edibles out in front of the TV or in her front hall. They were somewhat hidden in her bedroom and her 9 year old niece, who should probably know better because she isn't 4, went snooping and ate random stuff without asking. It's not you can expect her to throw every possible thing under lock and key when she doesn't have kids over often, whether it's her edibles, sex toys, or beer.

The "think of the children" hand-wringing in this thread is absurd. OP made an honest mistake but the kid is fine.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 18, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Honest question: Is that the same for edibles? I've heard it's impossible to overdose smoking weed, but isn't eating it different? Especially for a little human who weighs 70 pounds?

It's impossible to overdose in the sense most people understand it, but you can definitely "overdose" and have a bad time. Specifically with edibles, eating weed metabolizes delta-9-THC to delta-11-THC, which is considered about 10x more powerful.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The saddest part of that story won't happen for another 7-10 years - when the niece inevitably goes off the rails in her teens or early 20s, the family is going to lay the blame solely at the OP's feet.

"This is all your fault! Haighleigh was doing just fine until she ate that...that reefer candy she found in your bedroom!"

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The aunt shouldn’t worry too much about the rest of the family uninviting and shunning her because the niece is going to be calling her up in a few years.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yup, it's not like she left her edibles out in front of the TV or in her front hall. They were somewhat hidden in her bedroom and her 9 year old niece, who should probably know better because she isn't 4, went snooping and ate random stuff without asking. It's not you can expect her to throw every possible thing under lock and key when she doesn't have kids over often, whether it's her edibles, sex toys, or beer.

The "think of the children" hand-wringing in this thread is absurd. OP made an honest mistake but the kid is fine.

It was sitting out on top her dresser. All we are asking her to do was to toss your drugs inside of a drawer rather than leaving drugged candy out in plain view of an unsupervised nine year old.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They should have got those sugar-free gummy bears so the child only got severe diarrhea. Either way, they learned not to eat other people's unidentified mystery food-that-may-not-be-food.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to help the addict who saved my life when I was using?

I’m almost 28 and after some surgery I got addicted to prescription painkillers like oxy and Percocet.

I eventually graduated to heroin and got clean when I was 26 but relapsed after only a couple months. At the time I was more or less homeless but me and this other guy “Jack” squatted together in this abandoned building for a little while. We looked out for each other and we always had Naloxone on us in case we needed it because the local needle exchange would give it out to known users in the city.

I ended up overdosing after my relapse because I over estimated how much I could actually handle at that point and luckily Jack came back at the right moment and saved my life.

After this, I have been fully clean for a little bit over a year now. I haven’t seen or heard from Jack for a really long time, I’ve moved into my own decent apartment, I have a decent job and I have always just assumed that he was dead by now.

Well we live in a medium to smaller sized city so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised that I would run into people I knew eventually.

I was out going to my bank, which is in a sketchier part of the city, and I hear somebody call out my name. I turn around and it’s Jack.

I can immediately tell that he’s super strung out and he goes, “Wow look at you. Guess you finally managed to get better.”

I’m feeling nervous as gently caress because I don’t trust strung out junkies because I was that strung out junkie not too long ago.

He tells me that he has been trying to get sober for the past year but nothing has been working out. Then, as I expected, he asks me for help. He asks me if he can crash at my place or if I can help him out with some money to go to a rehab since he says that I now look like, “I can spare it.”

I had nor do I have any desire to let an actively using heroin addict stay at my apartment. And I don’t want to give him money because I know for a fact that poo poo will not go to a rehab.

I tell him that I don’t think I can do that for him but I wish him luck.

He says I’m a “loving rear end in a top hat” and that I’d be dead if it “wasn’t for him”. To be fair, he is right. I would’ve died without him. He then just spits at my feet and walks off. I left feeling pretty shook up.

I thought at the time that I was making the right decision but I don’t know anymore. He did save my life and I could very well be in his position or dead instead of where I am right now. But I also don’t think I am ready to be around people like that at this point in my recovery. I’ve lost all of my family, who want nothing to do with me and my only friend left helped me get clean and I don’t want to drag him back into this world so I don’t have a lot of people to talk to about this besides my sponsor.

AITA for refusing to help Jack? He saved my life but I don’t know what I can really do for him.

Just give him 60 bucks for saving your life, he'll be happy in the moment and leave you alone to go get high. You are now free to forget about him and consider your debt discharged. Just don't concern yourself where the money goes, by giving him some you're saving him the trouble of panhandling or stealing or doing some other sketchy poo poo trying to raise funds. Enabling an addict is one thing, but just because a person is an addict doesn't mean you can't help them out with a clean conscience. You might be saving them from death or a trip to jail, and certainly you are making their lives easier even if just a little bit. And let's face it, you do owe this guy something.

Win win

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Anne Whateley posted:

She compared it to a bottle of wine, which hopefully most people aren't drinking every night.

Speak for yourself! Everyone should drink a bottle a night. Why else do I have 100 bottles of wine and 80 bottles of liquor in my house? I need to make it through the month!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Speak for yourself! Everyone should drink a bottle a night. Why else do I have 100 bottles of wine and 80 bottles of liquor in my house? I need to make it through the month!

Wine? Poor excuse for a gin monk.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Scathach posted:

Well, he is errant.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

gently caress Your Website posted:

Thank gently caress she didn't leave a laptop out logged into the SA forums, that kid would be hosed for life
A drug far worse than THC:

GBS

Grilled cheese sandwich with cut up hot dogs is some solid stoner food thinking. She's going to be the coolest kid in school and should thank her aunt.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 19, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Scathach posted:

Well you have to ease into the hard liquors with a bottle of wine. Then it’s on to the good stuff. It’s like a warm up before a run.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I (m24) don't want to lose my best friend (f15) who I thought was older

quote:

I have a really good friend who I'm going to call Lyra. We met on Tumblr, along with some of our other friends. We all have a group chat and even text and talk on the phone. We've been a friend group for about 4 years, and that's how long I've known Lyra.

I met Lyra IRL in January, and that's when I learned some stuff that I hadn't known about her before: she's white (she used a black girl's pictures), she's 15 (she said she was 21), and the details of her personal life were just really different from what she had said before. So...I met her irl thinking she was 21. I didn't know she wasn't a 21 year old black girl until she and her parents picked me up from the airport. (I just didn't say anything until we were alone "I thought you were black" and that's when she told me she was 15.)

Lyra and I kind of had silly crushes on each other and had done some light flirting in texts before...she revealed her true identity lol. She wanted (and wants) to continue this flirtation and even date. I never really told her no because I've been so conflicted and I really value her friendship. Well...I actually DID say no at first, but then I felt like a major rear end in a top hat because she said her age would only matter if I were in the relationship for sex, which I wasn't, and I'd like to clarify I only held her hand and hugged her a little.

Anyway, I know the situation is messed up. I want to remain friends without...I don't know, hurting her. We're best friends and I really love her. But there's another aspect to the situation which is that none of our other friends know her true age, and I've been informed that they could get into legal trouble. Lyra doesn't shy away from anime smut and fanfic and has written, drawn, and roleplayed adult scenarios with a couple of our other friends. Those friends are girls, I don't know if that'd lessen the impact of potential legal stuff.

LYRA DID NOTHING WRONG IN THIS SITUATION, I just want to know how to keep our friendship.

TL;DR: my online friend became my (sort of) real life girlfriend but she's 15 and (sort of) a catfish. Clearly a lot of people think I should cut contact entirely but I want to remain friends and I'm not sure how.

EDIT: I have been informed (by Lyra) that she can legally get married in FIVE MONTHS. That changes things, doesn't it? I don't see ANY reason we can't be friends in this case.

[OHIO] How old do you have to be to get married?

quote:

I've heard conflicting accounts on marriage law in Ohio: do you have to be 16 or 18 to get married in Ohio?

Thanks.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Buzkashi posted:

I wonder what fandom this group of friends post about

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Buzkashi posted:

How the gently caress did this guy not realize at 20 years old he was chatting with an 11 year old kid. Like, Jesus Christ man.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

xtal posted:

It's impossible to overdose in the sense most people understand it, but you can definitely "overdose" and have a bad time. Specifically with edibles, eating weed metabolizes delta-9-THC to delta-11-THC, which is considered about 10x more powerful.

Have there been any studies on the effects of THC, long term, on kids? I can't imagine it'd be totally fine (regardless of what tcc says).

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-long-term-effects-brain

This says bad stuff, but it seems to be pointing to continued use. Not just one time eating a bunch.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Kids 9 years old and ate weed once, they'll be fine. Youtube is a much bigger threat to the kids brain than this incident.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Play posted:

Just give him 60 bucks for saving your life, he'll be happy in the moment and leave you alone to go get high. You are now free to forget about him and consider your debt discharged. Just don't concern yourself where the money goes, by giving him some you're saving him the trouble of panhandling or stealing or doing some other sketchy poo poo trying to raise funds. Enabling an addict is one thing, but just because a person is an addict doesn't mean you can't help them out with a clean conscience. You might be saving them from death or a trip to jail, and certainly you are making their lives easier even if just a little bit. And let's face it, you do owe this guy something.

Win win

Bubbles, how could you forget what happened to poor Sherrod?!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Have there been any studies on the effects of THC, long term, on kids? I can't imagine it'd be totally fine (regardless of what tcc says).

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-long-term-effects-brain

This says bad stuff, but it seems to be pointing to continued use. Not just one time eating a bunch.

I don't think there have been rigorous studies, but there is a widely-accepted notion that using cannabis while your brain is developing (under ~21) can increase your chances of developing mental illness in adulthood. This is about long-term usage though.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

jobson groeth posted:

Kids 9 years old and ate weed once, they'll be fine. Youtube is a much bigger threat to the kids brain than this incident.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
y'all have decided unanimously that the edibles were in Aunties room even though she just says "on the dresser" and never once mentions the room they were in.

Dunno about your countries but where I'm from "dresser" is not an exclusive term for bedroom furniture, it can mean a kitchen/dining room cabinet with drawers, a flat table like top and a narrower glass-fronted set of shelves as the top half. It's not like people who have a glass or two of wine of an evening to relax keep it in their bedrooms, unless she was eating gummies just before going to sleep (which seems pointless) it would make more sense to just keep them in a living/dining room or near the couch like you would with booze.

And gently caress, if you leave a kid alone and gently caress off to take a shower (who does this? wait until morning drat) without even putting a drat DVD on you can hardly be surprised if they act out a bit and steal a piece of candy, even a well brought up kid might chance their luck and be a little bit naughty when bored, annoyed and with sweets *right there*. Even snooping in the bedroom, IF that is what happened, is hardly an unforeseeable sequence of events when you leave a kid unsupervised.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I need some THC after reading this thread sometimes.

Lady definitely shouldn’t have left them out and yeah in about 10 years the family is definitely coming after her for some bullshit related to the kids antics.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the lady clarified in later posts that the weed was in her bedroom

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I have only ever seen a “dresser” to mean a clothes dresser, which people keep in their bedrooms. It’s possible by dresser she was referring to something completely different, but I think it’s pretty safe to assume she wasn’t and was using it the same way basically everyone else in the US does.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I even just went into somebody elses bedroom while unattended Id have been in major trouble at 9 years old, and if I ate something I found in there once Id gotten sober Id have been sent to do minimum wage pay rate labor until I had "earned" enough to pay her back on the entire value of a new item not just what I ate.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I've never heard of a kitchen dresser before. Where in the world is this a thing?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

U-DO Burger posted:

the lady clarified in later posts that the weed was in her bedroom

fair play then. Still at least somewhat irresponsible to leave the kid alone and unsupervised, but not as monumentally dumb as leaving it out in a communal area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA