Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Official art for the cover of Otomedia Magazine's April Issue

i love teru's leggings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Teru having abominable fashion sense is the best recurring gag that none of the characters ever acknowledge outright.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
I'm just glad his hair looks normal for this season.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
These past few episodes have had the animation team just flexing their muscles nonstop, and I am here for it as long as they don't start breaking down from the strain. Reigen Arataka continues to be the absolute best.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Why is this show so good? That teleporter fight was so fun to watch, and I love how it ended completely opposite how I was expecting.

Yeah if you don't know its coming, the sell on a Mob vs Teleport guy is very convincing because Mob doesn't even defeat the Plant Guy, Mogami does. Mob reiterates just how low his current tolerance is for people who use their powers to hurt others. Dimple tells us that Mob is pissed off and we can see that he still hasn't even begun to let loose. One gets us emotionally invested in seeing the henchman get shown the difference between psychic power levels between him and Mob because Ritsu and Teru keep taunting him about it. The teleport guy evolves and reaches a new level of power, putting him above pretty much anyone else we've seen so far. Mob finally shows up, just off screen.

A huge relationship dynamic between Ritsu and Mob is that Ritsu is emotionally scarred because in their childhood someone hurt him and Mob gave them a horrible beating with his psychic powers. Mogami tells Mob he has to be harsh with on others or he may not survive. There's a feeling that this upcoming beat-down is going to be so satisfying even if we don't know how it's going play out exactly as many of the people that the Teleport guy has beaten up are those who Mob cares about, including Ritsu.

Then Reign knocks the guy on his butt. It's so well done.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is supposed to be another two cour season, right?

Anyway, this is already AOTY for me.

gently caress, that episode was amazing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

No, it's only 13 episodes long. It's nearly over, and with it, 2019's anime season because nothing will likely reach this level. AOTY, too early.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

At least we have OPM Season 2 starting next month?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChaosArgate posted:

oh boy :ohdear:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChaosArgate posted:

No, we do not. The trailer absolutely convinced me of that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Teru having abominable fashion sense is the best recurring gag that none of the characters ever acknowledge outright.
how dare you

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

It's one cour, and there's a very logical stopping point for it. The stopping point was even in the OP for the first season which was weird to see if you'd read the manga.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I just realised something about season 1, though I'm not sure it was on purpose: most of the low-level Claw goons had never met the boss, but they'd probably talked to people who had... and an informal description of that guy's appearance also perfectly matches Reigen (tall, slender, ginger man, looks about 30, always wearing a suit).

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Nobody knows that one of Mob’s powers is telepathically summoning Reigen so he can take care of grown adults looking to throw down with a 13-year-old.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Something this show is real good at is hammering home how hosed up it is for grown adults to be beating up 14 year olds. From the post-credits scene, Serizawa seems to be the only villain esper who actually tries to talk down a middle schooler instead of immediately going for the psychic fisticuffs.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah they even go so far as to have Ritsu and Teru get more of the extended brutal beatdowns from Ryo, it makes Teru's counterattack and laughing at him all the more satisfying because literally and figuratively, they have this loser adult beat six ways from sunday

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm glad even Mogami is an ED buddy now

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

El Burbo posted:

I'm glad even Mogami is an ED buddy now

Haha you weren't kidding

Poor guy, he looks so gloomy. I hope Mob cheers him up.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Conot posted:

Haha you weren't kidding

Poor guy, he looks so gloomy. I hope Mob cheers him up.

Considering what he was like before Mob this is an improvement.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

if its as offmodel as their trailer we DO NOT want to watch that

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I don't know how many other people read Dorohedoro, but I was getting serious Hole vibes from Mogami's form in this one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Teru's absolutely great, I love this fashion-backwards little bastard.

EDIT: Also his dumbass pigeon-toeing when using his powers.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 20, 2019

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Kitfox88 posted:

Also his dumbass pigeon-toeing when using his powers.

I like that he realized how dorky it is during his fight with Mob, but I bet it’s really hard to break a habit and it works for him. Bless his heart.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah i have no idea why he stands like that lol

like I know being pigeon toed is a real thing but still

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's his style you jerks and I respect him for it

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Expect My Mom posted:

you try holding in your pee while you're in a psychic fight :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

Having just finished watching the JoJo part 2 dub and I can tell you it's the Cat Stance a fundamental stance in Kung Fu.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does Teru do that in the comics or is that added in the anime?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It looks like he's doing the Time Warp.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Fangz posted:

Does Teru do that in the comics or is that added in the anime?

He does it in the manga too but I don't remember noticing it as much as I do here

I like Teru a lot tbh, I love the characters that would be the main character in any standard shonen but are a bit of a loser here. Like i root for Genos way more than Saitama

Like you have this guy who looks like Naruto fighting a guy literally voiced by Sasuke and they have this tiny arc of Ryo dominating Teru and its scary when Ryo just drops him and then Teru gets the upper hand but then lol reigen

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 20, 2019

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i've seen a stance in karate that looks kinda similar to his pose

it's supposed to strengthen your legs

it's probably just to make teru's psychic powers look kinda dweebish though

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Here's a couple more instances of it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
how did they get this footage of me every monday

https://twitter.com/present_dic/status/1107886417177399296

e: for actual content here's some good omakes

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 20, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

they finally did it

they animated the greatest moment in human history

love you reigen

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact they did justifiable self-defence rush so well makes up for the fact that OPM season 2 looks abysmal and will probably kill OPM off before it hits the best part of OPM.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
love to see Reigen casually saunter in from stage left to clobber a dude

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I saw the PV and yeah the PV didn't seem special but how can OPM at all be abysmal?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Raenir Salazar posted:

I saw the PV and yeah the PV didn't seem special but how can OPM at all be abysmal?

Imagine if OPM season 1 was animated like the recent Berserk. Do you think it would've been as hype as it was?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Schwarzwald posted:

love to see Reigen casually saunter in from stage left to clobber a dude

I knew it was coming, but that scene absolutely destroyed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

skaianDestiny posted:

Imagine if OPM season 1 was animated like the recent Berserk. Do you think it would've been as hype as it was?

What was the (official) reason for the change of studios anyways?