Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

hyphz posted:

And the idea of the “innocent” etymology is wrong. The girl in the book Lolita isn’t actually called Lolita (she’s called Dolores). The narrator is the pedophile and gives her that name specifically to sexualise her. So any argument that it wasn’t meant to be used in that context instantly falls flat.
I mean even taking the explanation at face value with as much benefit of the doubt as possible it's describing someone acting like a famous literary murderer and child rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jadarx posted:

Smash Up only. AEG sold Love Letter because they needed to make room for more mediocre board games.

fuckin lol

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jadarx posted:

Smash Up only. AEG sold Love Letter because they needed to make room for more mediocre board games.

lmao, they sold their golden egg?

jadarx
May 25, 2012
https://www.zmangames.com/en/news/2018/5/8/z-man-games-acquires-love-letter/

Or they lost the license. It's hard to tell from corporate speak. But you gave up the 'slap a license on it' game. I myself have 4 different copies of Love Letter (AEG, Original, Adventure Time & L5R).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Smash Up is, by far, more lucrative than anything else AEG has or had. It's basically Munchkin in the sense that they can just keep printing more expansions forever and the players don't give a poo poo, they will keep buying them.

Like, they literally sold a big box to hold all the decks and then printed more than that box could hold within a couple of years. Now you can buy the Bigger, Geekier Box!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hyphz posted:

And the idea of the “innocent” etymology is wrong. The girl in the book Lolita isn’t actually called Lolita (she’s called Dolores). The narrator is the pedophile and gives her that name specifically to sexualise her. So any argument that it wasn’t meant to be used in that context instantly falls flat.

lolita is a spanish diminutive of dolores

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

The newest edition of "Dungeons and Dragons" centers more on storytelling than previous versions, Tito said, allowing players to focus more on narrative than the technical game mechanics.

:argh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FordCQC posted:

The newest edition of "Dungeons and Dragons" centers more on storytelling than previous versions, Tito said, allowing players to focus more on narrative than the technical game mechanics.

Where "Emphasis on Storytelling" means "The wizards can cast a spells that make story things happen again".

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The wizard tells a story. Everyone else listens.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
4e had really neat and flavorful storytelling things in it's utility powers too. But since 4e did it that means it's wrong. Also it meant that classes not named Cleric, Druid, Bard, or Wizard got them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zurui posted:

Smash Up is, by far, more lucrative than anything else AEG has or had. It's basically Munchkin in the sense that they can just keep printing more expansions forever and the players don't give a poo poo, they will keep buying them.

Like, they literally sold a big box to hold all the decks and then printed more than that box could hold within a couple of years. Now you can buy the Bigger, Geekier Box!

Can't wait for the Smash Up 7th Sea expansion.

I want to love Smash Up as a concept, but the execution has gone from "needs balance improvements" to "pile of poo poo clusterfuck"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FordCQC posted:

:argh:

You better be focusing on the narrative over the game mechanics in 5e, because the game mechanics are bad

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Not to mention the reason I refuse to run 5e "Codifying item creation, strongholds, loot, encounter curves, faction agendas and giving Fighters a hint of agency is the job of the DM, not the designer."

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
very popular tho

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Farg posted:

very popular tho

so are Bayformers, another Hasbro product

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FordCQC posted:

Power Rangers is now on the list too.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

FordCQC posted:

that's a very popular franchise

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Kurieg posted:

4e had really neat and flavorful storytelling things in it's utility powers too. But since 4e did it that means it's wrong. Also it meant that classes not named Cleric, Druid, Bard, or Wizard got them.

4E also started the streaming D&D with 'professionals' trend :ssh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Acquisitions Inc never commanded the kind of audience that Critical Role does, but I suspect that's purely an artefact of timing, more than anything else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thespaceinvader posted:

Acquisitions Inc never commanded the kind of audience that Critical Role does, but I suspect that's purely an artefact of timing, more than anything else.

Also I don't think that whatever promotional stuff they did had the same reach that Geek & Sundry does. Mostly it seemed restricted to Penny Arcade's (not inconsiderable) audience.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Also I don't think that whatever promotional stuff they did had the same reach that Geek & Sundry does. Mostly it seemed restricted to Penny Arcade's (not inconsiderable) audience.

IIRC they didn't do weekly streaming did they? It was mostly just at cons?

Or was it a podcast?

Either way I don't recall it being a weekly youtube show, and twitch hadn't really reached the level of public consciousness it has now even among the TT gaming industry.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

IIRC they didn't do weekly streaming did they? It was mostly just at cons?

Or was it a podcast?

Either way I don't recall it being a weekly youtube show, and twitch hadn't really reached the level of public consciousness it has now even among the TT gaming industry.

They had a podcast but it was not every week on the dot, full 3-4 hours thing. It was like recorded sessions they sliced up or something.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Razorwired posted:

Not to mention the reason I refuse to run 5e "Codifying item creation, strongholds, loot, encounter curves, faction agendas and giving Fighters a hint of agency is the job of the DM, not the designer."

You see, this is why that statement is bullshit! By failing to have good rules, they make the DM be the rules, which means that the DM is actually spending less time coming up with the story and more time on fixing the rules. It's literally the opposite of what they said.

Well-written, good rules mean you can think about gameplay. Badly written or badly designed rules make you think about those rules.

Like I guess if you consider rolling 38d20 to be "making a story" then ok.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

And Penny Arcade just honestly latched onto a thing that had already started (streaming 4E play) to get bigger in the nerd community and rode it for a while. I wish I remember the names of some of the early groups I watched, but drat 4E with a practiced group (and the right houserules) was actually fun to watch the play of in addition to the roleplay/banter side of things

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I've had fun playing weak characters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mearls also tried to recapture that lightning in 5e with Penny Arcade (and the other webcomics guy I forget,) which led to them being bored and disappointed when their (non-Wizard) characters lost all agency.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

moths posted:

Mearls also tried to recapture that lightning in 5e with Penny Arcade (and the other webcomics guy I forget,) which led to them being bored and disappointed when their (non-Wizard) characters lost all agency.

My favourite moment is from episode 1 Kurtz (or whoever it was playing the fighter) was talking about how it was great to be involved because normally they just sat back and drew stuff during rpgs. Then when they sat down for 5e they were just drawing for the whole session after their fight got nothing and had nothing to do.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

moths posted:

This is also because Mearls is a terrible DM. I vividly recall the one and only time I attended a live Acquisitions Incorporated show at PAX, where the start of the session had the party being flown by dracolich to the adventure site - and Mearls had the players roll to get on the dragon. Naturally, at least one character failed, I think even repeatedly. The session came to a screeching halt because they had to make numerous identical rolls with no stakes, in a venue with sharply limited playing time, in front of a live audience.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kestral posted:

This is also because Mearls is a terrible DM. I vividly recall the one and only time I attended a live Acquisitions Incorporated show at PAX, where the start of the session had the party being flown by dracolich to the adventure site - and Mearls had the players roll to get on the dragon. Naturally, at least one character failed, I think even repeatedly. The session came to a screeching halt because they had to make numerous identical rolls with no stakes, in a venue with sharply limited playing time, in front of a live audience.

That was Chris Perkins, not Mearls.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I heard part of that story and expected it to be something a little more conventional (but still stupid to make people roll over) like having to find a secret door to advance the plot. That's even worse :psyduck:

So did he make an rear end out of everyone by describing or asking the players to describe how badly they tripped trying to board the fantasy equivalent of a bus or did he just freeze up and sheepishly ask them to roll again?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

piL posted:

I've had fun playing weak characters.

You can have fun playing literally anything as long as you play it with people you have fun playing with.

This is why "I had fun" is a completely meaningless yardstick by which to judge quality of game design.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I heard part of that story and expected it to be something a little more conventional (but still stupid to make people roll over) like having to find a secret door to advance the plot. That's even worse :psyduck:

So did he make an rear end out of everyone by describing or asking the players to describe how badly they tripped trying to board the fantasy equivalent of a bus or did he just freeze up and sheepishly ask them to roll again?

I think he described them falling off. Then the eladrin just used fey-step.

Edit: it was a live game, and it was all being played for comedy, so it wasn’t as bad as Mearls’ roll perception to start the adventure thing.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 19, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is why "I had fun" is a completely meaningless yardstick by which to judge quality of game design.

And yet, the only meter that truly matters.

Edit: my favorite rpg is Buddhist Koan.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kestral posted:

Mearls was the one who, in the playtest streams, had players repeatedly attempt, and fail, WIS checks to look at walls, to find the plot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'The GM can fix it' by choosing to run a different game.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Speaking of Mearls, he's not tweeted since his BS Zak-related tweet a month ago.

Am wondering whether he's been given some internal rap on the knuckles and told to stay out of sight, or anything more serious has happened (of course it won't have done, can't go and fire people for lying to your customers/colleagues, that's just normal isn't it?)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

WotC never set up that promised email address for people to contact them about it, either.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mearls and WotC both are 100% trying to lay low and hope people forget about this rather then actually do anything or make any sort of statements.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

thefakenews posted:

That was Chris Perkins, not Mearls.

Thanks for the correction, I have a bad habit of conflating those two in my head.

thespaceinvader posted:

Mearls was the one who, in the playtest streams, had players repeatedly attempt, and fail, WIS checks to look at walls, to find the plot.

... and apparently there's good reason for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Personally I hope it is AEG and they are just going to gut the project out of spite.

Such an unbelievably stupid day to pick.