Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Am I the only one who has the giggles all day whenever Liechtenstein is brought up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Am I the only one who has the giggles all day whenever Liechtenstein is brought up

not gonna lie, as an American I can't help but think of most European countries as charming fantasy theme parks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
10 days

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Gripweed posted:

not gonna lie, as an American I can't help but think of most European countries as charming fantasy theme parks.

That's the west/north area.
The south is endless cafes and vineyards, and couples loudly arguing and making love, and old women dressed in black walking up vertical cliffsides.
The east is endless frowning people in gray Brutalist buildings next to abandoned tanks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

10 days until may goes to brussels and successfully gets a 4 year extension and we all turn into skeletons

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Grape posted:

That's the west/north area.
The south is endless cafes and vineyards, and couples loudly arguing and making love, and old women dressed in black walking up vertical cliffsides.
The east is endless frowning people in gray Brutalist buildings next to abandoned tanks.

Also Germany, which is triumphofthewill.mp4

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Very high quality Brexit today

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Goon Danton posted:

Also Germany, which is triumphofthewill.mp4

waaaay less bulging crotches im afraid

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Gripweed posted:

Isn't that basically keeping all of the parts of the EU that British people didn't like?

We'd get out of the mountains of red tape that the EU is strangling us with, but we still wouldn't have control of our borders , so I'd call it 50%.

One of the problems is that the referendum question was basically "would you like a pizza for dinner, or something else?" You'd expect that a vague alternative like that would mean you can't get any consensus if it wins, and so it has proven. Teresa May's "steak and kidney pudding it is then" has failed to unite the nation...

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

with the speaker of the house invoking erskine may today are the two options basically now:

1.) long term extension of article 50
2.) revoke article 50

am not british don't really follow these things

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Heavy_D posted:

We'd get out of the mountains of red tape that the EU is strangling us with, but we still wouldn't have control of our borders , so I'd call it 50%.

Going for "more red tape by doing Brexit and making things more complicated for everyone doing business" seems like a great way to achieve this idiotic "goal" to alleviate this "problem".

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

BrownianMotion posted:

with the speaker of the house invoking erskine may today are the two options basically now:

1.) long term extension of article 50
2.) revoke article 50

am not british don't really follow these things

there's also no deal of course

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

the paradigm shift posted:

there's also no deal of course

didn't an amendment pass on something that said "would not accept no deal under any circumstances"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BrownianMotion posted:

didn't an amendment pass on something that said "would not accept no deal under any circumstances"

It was just symbolic

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah, no deal is the default that will happen unless they agree with the EU on a deal. It's not the kind of thing you can reject unless it's in favor of something else.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

BrownianMotion posted:

in a Machiavellian move of wily political genius this seemingly innocuous vote in fact means that the EU has to give may whatever she wants now- or else Juncker will be arrested.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
This is a good thread

https://twitter.com/Sime0nStylites/status/1107881326382891008

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BrownianMotion posted:

from what i understand the amendment only meant that the government cannot explicitly vote for a no-deal brexit. if may cannot get a vote for her deal however, they default to a no-deal brexit.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys have a deal with Liechtenstein? 😳

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I like how its a constitutional crisis when, you know, the 400 year old rules of parliament are followed correctly

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Thanks to the Liechtenstein deal, there will be adequate false teeth, tortellini and sausages.

I want the EU trade deal to stipulate that the UK has to allow non-citrus fruit marmalade.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 10:48 on Mar 19, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BrownianMotion posted:

It just said that government wouldn't pursue No Deal; it's still the default option. It was basically just parliament yelling at May to stop threatening to No Deal out of spite if her own deal didn't pass, which as you can see has radically reshaped the entire playing field.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Jimmy Savile was knighted

JFairfax posted:

He also received a knighthood from the Pope

I think we've already established that everyone in charge knew, yes.

Jel Shaker posted:

I like how its a constitutional crisis when, you know, the 400 year old rules of parliament are followed correctly

And not when the most downvoted proposal in parliamentary history is resubmitted with the exact same content but different margins and spacing the first time around.

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 10:55 on Mar 19, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1107944455527636992

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Jel Shaker posted:

If the government just ignored precedent and pushed for May's deal again anyway, then that would be a constitutional crisis because Parliament is violating its own laws. Without a "constitution" that sets a clear legal framework, the entire body of English legal history is constitutional.

The UK's only had a supreme court for a decade even.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

brexit

brexit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Squizzle posted:

brexit

brexit

say it once more and bojo pops out of the mirror

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Well, you guys are screwed

EDIT: Also where's the goon who tried to correct me over this, please stand in front of the class and explain why you lied

BioMe has issued a correction as of 11:12 on Mar 19, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theresa May will refuse another general election or referendum that would justify extension out of pure spite lmao

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jose posted:

say it once more and bojo pops out of the mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aARXQqjqNo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stubbornness, inertia, and stupidity are going to carry the UK straight into No Deal lol.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In that year old Der Spiegel profile she's just going through the motions of being a prime minister and refusing to even engage in a political process. It doesn't matter what anybody else wants, because she's Britain's top dog, and what she wants is the only thing that matters.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

still 10 days left, so while no deal seems inevitable at this pt, theres still time for some more twists and developments to make things somehow worse for britain than no deal alone would be

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A no confidence vote might always work but then who the gently caress goes and asks for an extension lol. basically we';;re getting this

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Theresa May will refuse another general election or referendum that would justify extension out of pure spite lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In that year old Der Spiegel profile she's just going through the motions of being a prime minister and refusing to even engage in a political process. It doesn't matter what anybody else wants, because she's Britain's top dog, and what she wants is the only thing that matters.

Is this the true endgame of neoliberalism?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im taking the mace

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What does Brexit mean for the export of FakeTaxi videos?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this the true endgame of neoliberalism?

A real neolib would be desperately seeking a compromise just to make sure things can start running smoothly in any way, but Theresa May is a spiteful idiot who believes in nothing but herself. She's a female Chauncey Gardner but she's also prime minister, and she hates everyone.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

BioMe posted:

Well, you guys are screwed

EDIT: Also where's the goon who tried to correct me over this, please stand in front of the class and explain why you lied

Lol if you haven't learned by now that us Brits consider ourselves above explaining our actions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A real neolib would be desperately seeking a compromise just to make sure things can start running smoothly in any way, but Theresa May is a spiteful idiot who believes in nothing but herself. She's a female Chauncey Gardner but she's also prime minister, and she hates everyone.

when she won the leadership election the guardian gave her a glowing review about how she was going to take the tories back to true conservatism from before thatcher turned them into neolibs and would do stuff like protectionism for the steel industry that cameron abandoned lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the mace is mine now