Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Taerkar posted:

Anyone who says that punchbotting is the wrong tactic is a bad person.
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Tanith posted:

:getin: gausscan time!

ftfy

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What is the best assault mech for punchbotting? I kinda leaned towards the Battlemaster over the Banshee because:

1) More free tonnage for arm mods/leg mods/etc.
2) Better hardpoints overall make it easier to build something that's decent before it gets to punch range.
3) 4 tons for 4 jump jets instead of 8 tons for 4 jump jets just exacerbates the available tonnage difference even more.

The Banshee has more support slots and 15 points more punch damage, but the free tonnage difference swamps the value of that. That leaves the higher max armor, but a Banshee with more armor than a maxed Battlemaster has basically got the carrying capacity of a Spider.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

King Crab imo. Snip snip.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

King Crab imo. Snip snip.

I'm too impatient to use the fatty assault mechs as full time punchers. I want to do like 1 jump, 1 round of ML/SRM spam and then :dance: :killing: :dance:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Technically the banshee but why bother when you can do 450 damage a round with ppcs and srm 24s

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

sean10mm posted:

What is the best assault mech for punchbotting? I kinda leaned towards the Battlemaster over the Banshee because:

1) More free tonnage for arm mods/leg mods/etc.
2) Better hardpoints overall make it easier to build something that's decent before it gets to punch range.
3) 4 tons for 4 jump jets instead of 8 tons for 4 jump jets just exacerbates the available tonnage difference even more.

The Banshee has more support slots and 15 points more punch damage, but the free tonnage difference swamps the value of that. That leaves the higher max armor, but a Banshee with more armor than a maxed Battlemaster has basically got the carrying capacity of a Spider.

It's the Battlemaster.

But Grasshopper beats them both.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, Grasshopper is the best punch-bot. It's fast enough to get in range, has gobs of support hardpoints, and its Jump Jets are only a single ton. That last one is a big hidden cost for melee assaults, which have free tonnage similar to the GHR but pay twice the price for their jets.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Well, the BLR is also 120m movement and 1 ton JJs, but 4 additional supports and better initiative win over higher top armor and 25 extra punch damage.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm not sure if it's a freak glitch or supposed to happen but after the intro flashpoint I salvaged a hatchet, which my grasshopper now carries into combat. When I'm not calling shots into cockpits, I'm slicing though mechs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The hatchet is supposed to be unremovable so that's def. a bug, but enjoy it I guess!

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure if it's a freak glitch or supposed to happen but after the intro flashpoint I salvaged a hatchet, which my grasshopper now carries into combat. When I'm not calling shots into cockpits, I'm slicing though mechs.

Well known issue.
The Hatchetman in your lance got cored without the RA or RT being destroyed. When mech destruction on, that means any undamaged equipment is auto-salvaged.

I've got a load of los-tech from other flashpoints this way as well.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Roguetech is still full of bugs and terrible design decisions but goddamn I need to share this Shadowhawk:

This motherfucker has been the sole reason for why my merc company has stayed afloat for so long. Whether it's pulling out the engine block from a Hunchback's rear, or kicking a light mech so hard that everything above the legs detonates, this atrocity of good mech design has done it all. The massive engine coupled with a M.A.S.C. and high-end stealth system has so far allowed it to wade into groups of enemies with the worst damage being a lost limb every now-and-then (hatchets hit extremely hard in this game).

And it just finished uppercutting a 65-ton Hatchetman's head off; at this rate I'll be fielding an entire lance of punchbots dedicated to mugging lost Catapults.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChickenHeart posted:

Roguetech is still full of bugs and terrible design decisions but goddamn I need to share this Shadowhawk:

This motherfucker has been the sole reason for why my merc company has stayed afloat for so long. Whether it's pulling out the engine block from a Hunchback's rear, or kicking a light mech so hard that everything above the legs detonates, this atrocity of good mech design has done it all. The massive engine coupled with a M.A.S.C. and high-end stealth system has so far allowed it to wade into groups of enemies with the worst damage being a lost limb every now-and-then (hatchets hit extremely hard in this game).

And it just finished uppercutting a 65-ton Hatchetman's head off; at this rate I'll be fielding an entire lance of punchbots dedicated to mugging lost Catapults.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade but this looks loving stupid and is obviously from an unbalanced mod run by a narcissistic rear end in a top hat. Like...I know you are saying "yeah its from a mod" but good god why would anyone building a mod think that adding all that bullcrap is a good idea?

There is a chance I am just an old man yelling at a cloud right now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

ChickenHeart posted:

I have found combat shields go a long way in that mod.

I had also gotten the black knight rare variant that came with a built in katana and I am pretty sure that was the mod but it was really funny running it around.

edit

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 19, 2019

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but this looks loving stupid and is obviously from an unbalanced mod run by a narcissistic rear end in a top hat. Like...I know you are saying "yeah its from a mod" but good god why would anyone building a mod think that adding all that bullcrap is a good idea?

I mean yeah; half the point of me posting that frankenmech was to show all the ridiculous poo poo that's been stuffed into every open slot to turn a decent, law-abiding mech into a gun-less mass of pointy metal that has so far broken every encounter over its knee.

Pretty much the only reason I keep playing it is that I really enjoy the metric assload of new (and often wonky) equipment and loadout mechanics that turn the mechlab into a game of tetris. I could really do without the gameplay changes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

No, that's RT in a nutshell.

To give an example, the overall design and "balancing" (I use the term in the loosest possible sense) is done by someone who thinks that being able to consistently run (at sprint speed) behind an enemy and punch them in the back armour regardless of facing is an improvement on how melee works in the vanilla game. It's coming from the mindset of "more = better", throwing in everything from the tabletop game they can think of, without much attention paid to whether it all actually works together to form a coherent experience.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just like silly dumb things in a game that I play for fun. It has a lot of silly dumb things.

Also I want to paint the map rasalhauge and really like that they have a live map. http://roguetech.org/ But yah the developer is nutso.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

When did a hatcheman variant gain 20 tons? See this is the lazy poo poo with rt. Isnt the axeman 65t? Not that you can bring up an issue to the creator because that would be bullying lol

Edit: yeah the wartech and full is map are nice. It was really fun having those work for vanilla before they became rt only.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 19, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jabor posted:

To give an example, the overall design and "balancing" (I use the term in the loosest possible sense) is done by someone who thinks that being able to consistently run (at sprint speed) behind an enemy and punch them in the back armour regardless of facing is an improvement on how melee works in the vanilla game. It's coming from the mindset of "more = better", throwing in everything from the tabletop game they can think of, without much attention paid to whether it all actually works together to form a coherent experience.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt to have a mechanic that allowed you to reposition in melee if you have a given stat for it (give it to Ace Pilot maybe?). But I'm positive this isn't how RT does it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
The moving into different melee positions is a thing in RT. It is from this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/226 which RogueTech cites in their wiki: https://roguetech.gamepedia.com/Roguetech_is

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Melee mover is a wonderful mod rt hasnt taken hostage yet

E: fb

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jabor posted:

Mistaking complexity for depth is a scourge on gaming.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've been running XLRP lately and it seems to be more more grounded than RT. Seems like there's a lot of SLDF units still running around though.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Jabor posted:

Bingo. After I finished rebuilding that Axeman, I took a lance consisting of said Axeman, two heavily-modified Hatchetmen, and KILLDOZER to a 6-skull assassination mission that was chock full of heavies and clanner mediums and just cleaned house.

One mech sprints up to a target to get it visual range and soften it up with a snubnose ppc, and the rest use their massive engines to pile into the flanks and deliver 95%+ chance-to-hit haymakers for 100+ damage, evasion and damage-reduction be dammed. Most enemy mechs get cored on the first or second hit to the rear armor. And thanks to all the stealth mods and evasion from crossing the entire screen, that srm Catapult 20 feet away wont be able to hit jack poo poo in response.

Right now its hilarious to watch, but I'm probably going to shelve the mod once I finish putting together my first few assault mechs with this broken tactic.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Through a miracle of RNG I managed to get a full Black Knight very, very early in the game. I picked an assassinate mission and when I found the priority target I got 2 glancing headshots with my MGs, both torsos destroyed, and one leg destroyed resulting in a pilot KO. I also lost 3 of my mercs because the game decided to spawn extraction as far away as loving possible. Still worth it, they didn't die in vain. Now I've got a badass 75-ton laserboat at my disposal.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Any rumors about when the next DLC will arrive?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Thought it was summer for urban warfare and then dlc 3 was gonna be announced later. With the official versions of hotd between them somewhere.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

poo poo, I took a break from Battletech to play Dying Light, and I'm not even 50% through and I already want to bail on it for more robot exploding action.

I've done 2 campaign runs pre-Flashpoint and 2 career runs post-Flashpoint. What should I do next? Kind of want to install some minor tweak mods (no Roguetech type poo poo) and just get back to salvaging poo poo.

Stravag posted:

Thought it was summer for urban warfare and then dlc 3 was gonna be announced later. With the official versions of hotd between them somewhere.

That's my understanding too.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

poo poo, I took a break from Battletech to play Dying Light, and I'm not even 50% through and I already want to bail on it for more robot exploding action.

I've done 2 campaign runs pre-Flashpoint and 2 career runs post-Flashpoint. What should I do next? Kind of want to install some minor tweak mods (no Roguetech type poo poo) and just get back to salvaging poo poo.

That's my understanding too.

What kind of tweaks are you looking for? More "Expanded 'Mech Roster" type or "Rebalances skills/abilities" stuff?

If you want a mod pack less extreme than RT, either XLRP or BTX3025 are the big ones going around.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Amechwarrior posted:

What kind of tweaks are you looking for? More "Expanded 'Mech Roster" type or "Rebalances skills/abilities" stuff?

If you want a mod pack less extreme than RT, either XLRP or BTX3025 are the big ones going around.

I kind of just want more stuff to play with, but without it getting stupidly overloaded with poo poo where you never salvage anything because there are now 12 variants of every chassis or whatever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is there a 'don't land on my face' mod for dropships?

I may have just ragequit an ironman run and am leaving the game till the next expansion because of it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Is there a 'don't land on my face' mod for dropships?

I may have just ragequit an ironman run and am leaving the game till the next expansion because of it.

Aren't there like warning icons for an area a dropship will land in? :confused:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Aren't there like warning icons for an area a dropship will land in? :confused:

Yes but I was chasing a mech and even though I knew it was *about* the area the dropship was coming in I didn't see it. And then it landed on that turn. The least the game could do is throw up an 'are you really sure?'. Or just not insta kill mechs for standing in the wrong spot there's literally no gameplay reason for that to happen there's never any interaction with dropships on the battlefield anyway.

They just exist to kill player units for people who are mildly careless.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I mean every pip you can move to thats a danger one has a red warning symbol instead of white and a textbox pops up on the left saying this is a bad idea. The only thing else they can do is have a dialog box come up for you to confirm every movement you make

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stravag posted:

I mean every pip you can move to thats a danger one has a red warning symbol instead of white and a textbox pops up on the left saying this is a bad idea. The only thing else they can do is have a dialog box come up for you to confirm every movement you make

They could just not have the dropship kill you. It has no gameplay presence or relevance other than to kill you if you happen to be standing in certain hexes on a map when a specific event triggers.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah but it is kind of funny tho

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Yeah but it is kind of funny tho

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I hope the dropship lands on more mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I love hearing about people getting squished by dropships.