Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It legit seems like the best way to become a legit contender as fast as possible. Billionaires are weird though. I guess they are too impatient to wait 3 years.

If you eat a bad year, you automatically gain insane leverage for both salary cap and draft ammunition. It just really puts a lot of emphasis on that draft class, but with the added value of putting extra value in your current draft solely by the virtue of being able to pick truly what you feel is the best player at that selection

I’m still waiting to hear about Xs contract

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs better take this guy off their board.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1107366826273579009?s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
This year's Maurice Hurst

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Wouldn't mind another heart guy

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Remember star lotouleli's "condition".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm actually changing my mind about Metcalf. I saw a good breakdown of his skillset that basically said as long as he runs the same limited route trees that Demaryius, Gordon, and Calvin Johnson mostly run then he can be very, very effective.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm actually changing my mind about Metcalf. I saw a good breakdown of his skillset that basically said as long as he runs the same limited route trees that Demaryius, Gordon, and Calvin Johnson mostly run then he can be very, very effective.

Metcalf in the court of public draft opinion has gone from 2nd round to top 5 to nigh undraftable back around to middle first round

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nice breakdown of the EDGE rushers:

https://twitter.com/DraftNetworkLLC/status/1107667475452157954

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

1. Bosa - Round 1
2. Burns - Round 1
3. Allen - Round 1
4. Ferrell - Round 2
5. Sweat - Round 2
6. Polite - Round 2
7. Winovich - Mid Day 2
8. Gary - Mid Day 2
9. Miller - Mid Day 2

I buy that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It legit seems like the best way to become a legit contender as fast as possible. Billionaires are weird though. I guess they are too impatient to wait 3 years.

There are a couple issues with this strategy, one being that it puts an insane amount of emphasis on one single draft and then nets you a team of rookies that likely won't even be that good the first year. Whereas if you draft well two years in a row, you'll have the first cohort with a year's experience under their belts by the time the second cohort comes in, which is good for a lot of reasons.

Secondly, teams are expected to put a decent product on the field by the fans, the league and the team's sponsors. Maybe this isn't a huge deal but it's a factor.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I've always said that so long as you know what you're getting he's a perfectly fine pick. I still don't like him in the first round but wouldn't be too scandalized if he went late in the first.

By the way is this what you were speaking of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9EAnLHj2v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btpgr6TL554

Also, a little piece on Bosa. I am STILL not convinced that Bosa should be the first D lineman taken. He's fantastic and should go very very high but I'm not sure he's a lock there

Play fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 18, 2019

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think what hurts Bosa is we didn't get tape on him from this season to see how he improved.

Blitz7x posted:

1. Bosa - Round 1
2. Burns - Round 1
3. Allen - Round 1
4. Ferrell - Round 2
5. Sweat - Round 2
6. Polite - Round 2
7. Winovich - Mid Day 2
8. Gary - Mid Day 2
9. Miller - Mid Day 2

I buy that

Yeah, seems good but I bet 5 or 6 end up going in the first because it's such a premier position.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

Metcalf in the court of public draft opinion has gone from 2nd round to top 5 to nigh undraftable back around to middle first round

It's almost like there is more than one opinion out there. Crazy.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Blitz7x posted:

1. Bosa - Round 1
2. Burns - Round 1
3. Allen - Round 1
4. Ferrell - Round 2
5. Sweat - Round 2
6. Polite - Round 2
7. Winovich - Mid Day 2
8. Gary - Mid Day 2
9. Miller - Mid Day 2

I buy that

Gary, Ferrell, and Sweat all are likely going to go in round 1 off of demand. Gary's rawness is still so loving bizarre. Guys like Winovich, Taco Charlton, and Frank Clark all came out of Michigan with a pretty crazy arsenal of stuff, but Mattison just somehow never got through to Rashan for some reason. Guy looks the same as he did out of high school. If someone could actually teach him poo poo, he's like a Watt-level problem in terms of his measurables. Bosa had more sacks than him in 3 games than he had all season.

Sweat's undervalued because he's not a guy you want dropping back at all. I don't get what this dude is talking about in terms of his moves being basic, guy has a rip and a long arm, and he can counter the two at will with a two hand rip or arm under. That's about all you actually need when you're as athletic as that dude.

Ferrell is odd, because he flashes some plays where he looks like an absolute freak, but he takes plays off in the running game and will overrun an edge if a tackle is fast enough to move with him. A good coach that just calms him down and gets him to counter more would make him a freak. I'd rank them like this, personally.

The dude I just don't get is Winovich. Normally, a guy with that production is some type of freak that just isn't technically closing or whatever else, but he's technically sound and just not that athletically impressive. It's like we're trying to convince ourselves he's raw talent when he looks like he's tapped out at this point.

1 Bosa
2 Allen
3 Burns
4 Sweat
5 Ferrell
6 Gary
7 Polite,
8 Miller
9 Winovich

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I like Kollmans stuff a lot. I don't know a huge amount about xes and O's but it seems pretty well thought out and on the level.

Agree on the late first round early second.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, seems good but I bet 5 or 6 end up going in the first because it's such a premier position.

I agree, Ferrell and Sweat at the very least are probably going first round. Edge guys generally go before interior guys if the talent level is about equal.

I'm not a Gary fan. If I had a team I would encourage them to stay away unless he falls significantly

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah I like Kollmans stuff a lot. I don't know a huge amount about xes and O's but it seems pretty well thought out and on the level.

Kollman and Samuel Gold are great. Nobody does youtube football analysis as well as they do. For a while I was thinking of trying my hand at it before I realized how much work it would actually be

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Please keep talking about Polite dropping to the 2nd so that the Raiders can take him at #24. Thank you.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Please keep talking about Polite dropping to the 2nd so that the Raiders can take him at #24. Thank you.

Why on earth would you want that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MrLogan posted:

Given the D line talent in this draft Polite being available at 24 seems pretty likely

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blitz7x posted:

1. Bosa - Round 1
2. Burns - Round 1
3. Allen - Round 1
4. Ferrell - Round 2
5. Sweat - Round 2
6. Polite - Round 2
7. Winovich - Mid Day 2
8. Gary - Mid Day 2
9. Miller - Mid Day 2

I buy that

What a terrible list. Sweat and Ferrell are both loads better than Burns. Gary dropping to the third would be a travesty.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQtdCgtWpc

This guy seems to be an alternative to Gold/Kollman. I'm down, it's a good video with some decent insights. Best case scenario, Murray is effectively Baker Mayfield with much better running skills. His arm talent is really incredible for such a small dude

Also a good video scouting report on Drew Lock by Samuel Gold. I'm not gonna lie, his mechanics bother me. His throwing motion is totally hosed imo, stiff front leg, tends to throw with his arm instead of his body and his legs which reduces accuracy. A decent prospect but he clearly needs some serious work. Not opposed to the Broncos taking him, definitely he gives a better chance to hit than most of the other guys they've drafted recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMZEx-9n9p4

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

What a terrible list. Sweat and Ferrell are both loads better than Burns. Gary dropping to the third would be a travesty.

I love how every evaluation and piece of tape contradicts your opinion of Burns.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

wandler20 posted:

I love how every evaluation and piece of tape contradicts your opinion of Burns.

He's stiff and upright. He's got the body and everyone knew he'd test well at the combine but he's a project DE. Sorry you aren't the first person to be offended because I didn't like a player from their favorite college football team.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

He's stiff and upright. He's got the body and everyone knew he'd test well at the combine but he's a project DE. Sorry you aren't the first person to be offended because I didn't like a player from their favorite college football team.

Lol, that has nothing to do with it. I'm simply stating your evaluation goes against what everyone is saying. It's not like I'm pounding the table for the Bucs to draft him at 5 because I don't think he should go that high. He's definitely a top 15-20 guy tho. You're saying he's stiff and watching 4 seconds of his tape says otherwise.

Edit: imagine thinking this is stiff and upright

https://youtu.be/g7X_beVomyU

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 19, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've seen over 2 minutes of that guy now and i can safely say he's very agile, stiff, has great balance, keeps a low center of gravity and stands straight up while rushing the passer

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cavauro posted:

i've seen over 2 minutes of that guy now and i can safely say he's very agile, stiff, has great balance, keeps a low center of gravity and stands straight up while rushing the passer

Truth. Don't forget the intangibles. I've heard he's a gritty athlete with a lunch-pail-diva mentality.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Chichevache posted:

Truth. Don't forget the intangibles. I've heard he's a gritty athlete with a lunch-pail-diva mentality.

lol ok, we can move on here.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

wandler20 posted:

Lol, that has nothing to do with it. I'm simply stating your evaluation goes against what everyone is saying. It's not like I'm pounding the table for the Bucs to draft him at 5 because I don't think he should go that high. He's definitely a top 15-20 guy tho. You're saying he's stiff and watching 4 seconds of his tape says otherwise.

Edit: imagine thinking this is stiff and upright

https://youtu.be/g7X_beVomyU

Looks like he's upright and stiff in those four plays he showed.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Doltos posted:

Looks like he's upright and stiff in those four plays he showed.

Close the rubmaps.com popup that’s covering your browser window first.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Chichevache posted:

His intangibles are off the charts!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I need some Miles Sanders draft takes. He posted the exact same statline as Barkley did, and while Sanders' athleticism isn't Barkley-esque, its still pretty good.

I like him a lot

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I need some Miles Sanders draft takes. He posted the exact same statline as Barkley did, and while Sanders' athleticism isn't Barkley-esque, its still pretty good.

I like him a lot

I've heard very little about RBs overall in this draft so far.

Taking a look at him, he kind of does look like Saquon-lite. Got a decent jump cut and some other moves. His quickness and speed doesn't jump out at you nearly as much as Saquon does. Economic with his feet, he really takes as few steps as possible to get from one place to another. Sometimes he can set up defenders well. Stays low, very good base. Doesn't accelerate instantly but gets up to speed in a few steps. Not too powerful, and he'll be stopped dead and thrown back a lot more in the nfl. Probably better at running in the interior, an inside zone-based running scheme would be a very good fit

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Is anyone doing a Goon mock draft this year?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

That's a good idea. Might be fun to take a look at last year's too

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Sad King Billy posted:

That's a good time. If no one else wants to run it I can.

Edit: Here is the pick thread from last year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852342
Here is the sign up thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851929

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 19, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm taking Ann Frank Fanfic in the first. His outlaw bloodlines may be a concern, but he's a top offensive talent and he has an incredibly high ceiling.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Chichevache posted:

I'm taking Ann Frank Fanfic in the first. His outlaw bloodlines may be a concern, but he's a top offensive talent and he has an incredibly high ceiling.

I have character concerns, also he wasn't allowed to compete at the combine.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Play posted:

That's a good idea. Might be fun to take a look at last year's too

McMagic did well to get Baker for the Jets.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Play posted:

I've heard very little about RBs overall in this draft so far.

Taking a look at him, he kind of does look like Saquon-lite. Got a decent jump cut and some other moves. His quickness and speed doesn't jump out at you nearly as much as Saquon does. Economic with his feet, he really takes as few steps as possible to get from one place to another. Sometimes he can set up defenders well. Stays low, very good base. Doesn't accelerate instantly but gets up to speed in a few steps. Not too powerful, and he'll be stopped dead and thrown back a lot more in the nfl. Probably better at running in the interior, an inside zone-based running scheme would be a very good fit

Yeah, he's sort of a Saquon-style back that's closer to a McCaffrey build if that makes sense. Sort of splits the difference between the two without being quite as fast or powerful as either one. Think like slightly better Tevin Coleman. He's going to be an awesome utility back, but I pity the team that tries to put him in a gap/power scheme instead of zone.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1108071407450234880?s=20

If this is a smokescreen, the Cardinals dedication to it is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

McMagic did well to get Baker for the Jets.

Meh, the guys in front taking Darnold and Mayfield kind of decided that one for him. I mean, I suppose it was smart to pick Mayfield over Allen but it's also obvious

I had the Rams who had very few picks, in the end I got them Calvin Ridley (probably would've been pretty helpful once they lost their slot guy) and with the 87th overall pick I actually chose the exact person the Rams did; Joseph Noteboom