Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I think they're trying to get people to buy 2 of the same deck if you're going to best deck possible. With the exception of 3 sulfur falls, every money card is 1 or 2 of. you get 6 lands and 4 jadelights in GB. 2 Rekindling Phoenix/banefire and 4 lava coil/expiramental frenzy. 4 History and Legion's landing. Even 2 extra Sulfur Falls you can almost trade for 2 Steam Vents.

Shoulda put in Carnage Tyrant and Resplendant Angel so each deck gets one bomb creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

We did 10 rounds at Champs and I was fine but I'm dumb and I also work 15-20+ hours of overtime most weeks and very rarely go a week without multiple 12-14 hour shifts. That said, if the guy in the last round wanted to draw and it wouldn't have knocked us down a tier in prizes, I'd have taken it in a second.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I know I should probably cut one card, but this deck feels really good to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

You probably should cut Volley or an early removal spell, yeah.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

admanb posted:

tbh this thread is a lot more fun when it goes off on some random garbage topic than the relentless negativity that is any normal discussion

this is honestly why I so rarely post anymore. the sadbrain and weirdbrain content can really affect your mood after a while and I just wanna read about a children's card game

meanwhile I just helped my cousin get back into magic over the weekend and he's been so hyped that he's been calling me like every other day despite me seeing the guy like 4 or 5 times in the past 3 years

like buddy i don't think you realize how much of a hermit i am outside of work but the enthusiasm is cool

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheMaestroso posted:

Cut Volley and Axebane Beast, add Arrester's Admonition.

I think I'd also look to cut White if you could.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

Three pages of poo poo chat, and no one has commented that they literally have a walker Spirit Bomb going on here?

Ajani looks like one of those bodybuilders who can't wipe their own rear end anymore.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

TheMaestroso posted:

I'd cut white and run Essence and Arresters.
Otherwise Volley.

shit is weak fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 19, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GoutPatrol posted:

Ajani looks like one of those bodybuilders who can't wipe their own rear end anymore.

And we're right back to poo poo chat.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

And we're right back to poo poo chat.

Well if you think ajani can reach around with his stratchy tongue and lick that bunghole clean you've got another thing coming.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As someone who managed a LGS a lifetime ago, IDing always bugged me on a personal level because it's so against the spirit of competition to me. It feels like the players are playing the tournament instead of playing the game. That being said, I have no idea why someone would expect the type of nerd who likes CCGs to not game the tournament format in such a way.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

As someone who managed a LGS a lifetime ago, IDing always bugged me on a personal level because it's so against the spirit of competition to me. It feels like the players are playing the tournament instead of playing the game. That being said, I have no idea why someone would expect the type of nerd who likes CCGs to not game the tournament format in such a way.

It's the third-level poo poo of expecting everyone to game the format that's weird to me.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

GoutPatrol posted:

Well if you think ajani can reach around with his stratchy tongue and lick that bunghole clean you've got another thing coming.

He should splash blue for Clone

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

whydirt posted:

He should splash blue for Clone

state based effects strike again

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So I am somewhat casual and mostly just play FNM drafts every couple of weeks, but the folks at my LGS play commander before drafts sometimes and im looking to put a deck together on the cheap just to participate mostly. What's the easiest way to share a decklist I made to get feedback?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

LONDON MULLIGAN TESTING

From April 10 to May 1, the London Mulligan will be the mulligan used on Magic Online. This mulligan is part of an experiment run by Magic R&D in their never-ending efforts to improve the game we all know and love. This will apply to all formats, in all events and casual games.

As MTGO is the best and largest way to play classic formats like Legacy and Vintage, this test will provide a critical mass of data to help R&D make a final determination whether to adopt this mulligan for Magic as a whole. And importantly, it will allow Mythic Championship competitors to practice their Modern game under the same conditions that they'll face in London.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Its getting implemented, its gone too far now. Wotc isn't going to go through the effort to program it into modo only to not use it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Framboise posted:

this is honestly why I so rarely post anymore. the sadbrain and weirdbrain content can really affect your mood after a while and I just wanna read about a children's card game

meanwhile I just helped my cousin get back into magic over the weekend and he's been so hyped that he's been calling me like every other day despite me seeing the guy like 4 or 5 times in the past 3 years

like buddy i don't think you realize how much of a hermit i am outside of work but the enthusiasm is cool

I honestly did not think "my last opponent made an impulsive decision to risk sure money to possibly gain very little and was also the only rear end in a top hat I had to play against all weekend" would be a controversial issue, but I think this thread concentrates a certain flavor of goon. Completely missed in all that noise is that it was by far the most pleasant weekend of magic I've ever had by a long shot.

I also noticed a distinct uptick in the number of women in both the main and side events. There was one point on day 2 when they outnumbered the men at our table in the main event. Aside from this one chud I sat next to who called a judge to try to gently caress his opponent out of his turn, there was no hyper-spike angle shooting I witnessed (opponent had said to himself "you just went mountain go...", so this guy claims that constitutes passing the turn and immediately snapped a hand out to draw a card and then was surprisingly rude to the judges who got involved, I'm surprised he didn't get something for that).

But yeah, to your original point in what I quoted, aside from that sour note to end on, the weekend gave me a little hope that the community around this game is improving :unsmith:. This thread generally does the exact opposite.

I also just got my brother into this game back in September, and he flew into town for this, so it was our first time doing any event together. He's just as enthusiastic as your cousin and it is a nice reminder of how awesome this game is if you let yourself enjoy it.

EDIT: This was also clearly my best round (even though I lost to this guy getting the luckiest Tron draws I've ever seen)

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 19, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Running that mat you just gotta do a treasure combo thing with custom tokens:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Time to freaking dredge on modo for 3 weeks. :getin:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Modo does give them a way bigger sample size and better data than a tournament.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
sure is a lot of drama for someone wanting to play the game instead of play the tournament

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Eej posted:

sure is a lot of drama for someone wanting to play the game instead of play the tournament
Once again, for you personally since I guess you didn't actually read any of the intervening posts: you can play the game and be a decent person w/r/t the prizes you and your opponent will get. If you want to "play the game not the tournament" then you can play the game all you want in any non-tournament setting. Otherwise, the tournament part is part of the game and will be treated as such.

You're like the guy who kept trying to get my poker playing friends to put down real money in their regular "playing poker as a thing to do while drinking and chatting" game.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

suigenyukiouji asked:
Most people I've heard talk about BfZ claim the set/block was quite bad, in terms of play / card strength / lore. So at least to my subjective experience, the set sold well mostly thanks to riding on the hype the original Zendikar block built, but then crushed that hype to nothing when it actually released.

MaRo posted:

Hype can mean a strong opening, but hype can’t make a set sell well over the years of its lifespan on sale. I’m not proud of War of the Spark from a design standpoint (and it did poorly in market research), but the set sold well for its full time on sale.

Unfortunate typo lol

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Tainen posted:

Unfortunate typo lol

No mention of Expeditions. :thunk:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
everyone hated the set but people couldn't play standard without the dual lands or gideons, so whose to say if it was good or bad?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yawgmoth posted:

Once again, for you personally since I guess you didn't actually read any of the intervening posts: you can play the game and be a decent person w/r/t the prizes you and your opponent will get. If you want to "play the game not the tournament" then you can play the game all you want in any non-tournament setting. Otherwise, the tournament part is part of the game and will be treated as such.

You're like the guy who kept trying to get my poker playing friends to put down real money in their regular "playing poker as a thing to do while drinking and chatting" game.

Crel and above why should he feel obligated though. You pay into a money/prizes tournament then some people are going to play for the money/prizes no matter what.

The trip report was good though. Would be interested in trying a big tournament one day with 0 expectations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I guess as a mostly casual dude who hasn't had to make the decision of more than like a take of 8 boosters at FNM; I'll just take the resident spike-adjacent posters' word that "No thank you, I'd prefer to play it out" makes you Literally Hitler.

Though in Baron's case it sounds like the guy was a being jerk in some other ill-defined way during the actual game so :shrug:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yawgmoth posted:

What? Your example doesn't make sense because "playing out every game at a competitive tournament" is different from "upping the stakes of a casual game"

I understand that there's a Tournament Scene social norm of conceding or drawing games out that do not materially benefit you but I at the same time I don't understand the social stigma of treating a competitive tournament as a competition where you play hard from start to finish

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Playing Magic for fun is dumb.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

poo poo is weak posted:

Playing Magic with strangers for fun is dumb.

Magic is a fun game to play with friends.

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Was there anything on the line, because playing Poker without putting something on the line doesn't make any sense at all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

poo poo is weak posted:

Playing Magic for fun is dumb.

Sadly I agree, but will play anyway. I have no fun but I must sleeve.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
This discussion of intentionally drawing in mtg tournaments reminds me of the chapter in Freakonomics on cheating in Sumo Wrestling. It turns out that in that sport, wrestlers will let the other competitor win if it's no skin of their backs and pivotally crucial for the opponent. The difference though is that they actually call this out as cheating. Though maybe we should be blaming the tournament system and incentives for this behavior rather than the individuals.

Actually found a clip discussing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKZzGiS5hv0

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

ilmucche posted:

Sadly I agree, but will play anyway. I have no fun but I must sleeve.

Untap, Upkeep, Feel Miserable

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ChromiumCrush posted:

Was there anything on the line, because playing Poker without putting something on the line doesn't make any sense at all.

Even when my buddies draft a box for fun we usually each put up a few boosters or a 10-15 dollar rare into a prize pool to "keep it interesting."

(If this were ever a real hardship to someone it wouldn't be disqualifying to participate in Wizard Poker Night.)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChromiumCrush posted:

Yeah, I love the game of poker, but wagering is an integral part of the game and if wagers aren't worth anything then what is the point?

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Even when my buddies draft a box for fun we usually each put up a few boosters or a 10-15 dollar rare into a prize pool to "keep it interesting."

(If this were ever a real hardship to someone it wouldn't be disqualifying to participate in Wizard Poker Night.)

Magic is different though.

Poker can't really be played correctly if you aren't assigning a value to your wager. It's a totally different game in that case.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Can always just play with chips that dont have real money behind them. All the poker mentality still works even if the biggest stack gets to say they won.

Or, you know, the game is more of an excuse to get together with buddies than to actually play serious poker.

You can easily point to EDH as a completely different way to play Magic, too. That doesnt invalidate it as a way to spend time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Can always just play with chips that dont have real money behind them. All the poker mentality still works even if the biggest stack gets to say they won.

Or, you know, the game is more of an excuse to get together with buddies than to actually play serious poker.

You can easily point to EDH as a completely different way to play Magic, too. That doesnt invalidate it as a way to spend time

It's a totally different game at that point. Why not just shove every time you have a face card?
UNO sounds way more fun at that point.