Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Asema posted:

"The younger generations are more progressive!" is something that I don't think is real anymore.

LOL wrong, incredibly wrong.

It's just the first generation where bad opinions can be spread online and you hear about them. The upcoming generation is far more left wing in poll after poll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Asema posted:

"The younger generations are more progressive!" is something that I don't think is real anymore.

It’s objectively true and is shown in literally all polling.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

theflyingorc posted:

It's just the first generation where bad opinions can be spread online and you hear about them. The upcoming generation is far more left wing in poll after poll.

give it time, they'll get worse

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

EwokEntourage posted:

the article itself doesnt say (I just assume rich white people get better criminal justice treatment). It does seem weird to have differed prosecution and an alford plea though but I don't practice criminal law

Yeah, it's a weird fine point that doesn't get used in every jurisdiction. In my first jurisdiction, a smaller city court, I saw those deferred plea agreements/sentencing (as opposed to deferred prosecutions) pretty frequently - you were basically pleading guilty to the crime, but agreeing to have the prosecution defer sentencing until you completed some agreed-upon conditions, at which point they'd dismiss the case prior to sentencing and the formal finding of guilt would be in and out of the system. In my second, a larger county court, deferred prosecutions were more of the norm, wherein you wouldn't admit guilt but would give up your right to a jury trial and go straight to a bench trial in front of the judge (who would almost certainly find you guilty) if you failed to meet the terms of your agreement with the prosecutor.

Both cases basically called time-out in the process, but at different stages. Not sure how well the article is actually capturing what's going on here, but I expect it's closer to the former thing I dealt with, rather than the latter.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Asema posted:

It feels like that but that is because the entire window has shifted over. Even right wingers are more liberal than they were fifty years ago. It's just hard to notice

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Asema posted:

You only see the outliers that are notable enough to make the news/go viral. There are billions of "the younger generations" and for every maga-hatted vigil crasher there are vastly more quiet, head-down votes for AOC and friends. Or the people who put together the school climate strikes last week.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not necessarily. Things are much different for young people growing up now than they were for the boomer generation. No lead in petrol and not being brought up by traumatised war veterans in a pre-civil rights environment will make a big difference.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not really true of any prior generation, but OK, thanks for the information

Basically every prior generation has gotten VERY slightly more conservative with age, but only a handful of points. They have, since WW2, never been more conservative than the generation before them at the same age. Millennials, also, were following this trajectory until 2016, at which point they shot back like 7 points more liberal. And the next generation is more liberal than that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s objectively true and is shown in literally all polling.

Yes , but have you considered whining about kids today?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

You only see the outliers that are notable enough to make the news/go viral. There are billions of "the younger generations" and for every maga-hatted vigil crasher there are vastly more quiet, head-down votes for AOC and friends. Or the people who put together the school climate strikes last week.

"Kids these days are all alt-right MAGAheads" is "kids these days are all eating tide pods", but for very online people

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

you are being real defensive and kind of a dick here so I'm just gonna tell you that I declined yet another applicant that told me women shouldn't be in software but his references told me he was a "great boy" and just say you can show me the polls and how things are actually instead of just being a dickwad

theflyingorc posted:

"Kids these days are all alt-right MAGAheads" is "kids these days are all eating tide pods", but for very online people

actually nevermind

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/19/politics/cnn-poll-2020-harris-surge-deep-enthusiasm/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Can USPOL me specifically why this is bad and why a these people are bad and everything is terrible and awful? I kind of want to get out ahead on this one.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

theflyingorc posted:

they are as bad as every other generation that has professed supposed changes in alignment but has seen our politics, law enforcement, and wealth disparity all degrade into things that favor the wealthy and gently caress over everyone else. things are getting worse, not better, and the kids today are being raised by the same shitheads that got us in these problems

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Asema posted:

you are being real defensive and kind of a dick here so I'm just gonna tell you that I declined yet another applicant that told me women shouldn't be in software but his references told me he was a "great boy" and just say you can show me the polls and how things are actually instead of just being a dickwad

http://www.people-press.org/2018/03/01/the-generation-gap-in-american-politics/

I'm sorry I called you very wrong, that must have hurt your feelings a whole lot

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they are as bad as every other generation that has professed supposed changes in alignment but has seen our politics, law enforcement, and wealth disparity all degrade into things that favor the wealthy and gently caress over everyone else. things are getting worse, not better, and the kids today are being raised by the same shitheads that got us in these problems
Boomers and Silents have been absolutely, totally dominant political forces for very nearly every year I've been alive, and they're FINALLY starting to die. The conservative "retraction" of prior generations isn't a real thing, it's just that boomers/Gen X were never actually that liberal to begin with. The news likes to talk about how radical the kids are, but we're finally getting to the place where most of them actually are!

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 19, 2019

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

Not really true of any prior generation, but OK, thanks for the information

Basically every prior generation has gotten VERY slightly more conservative with age, but only a handful of points. They have, since WW2, never been more conservative than the generation before them at the same age. Millennials, also, were following this trajectory until 2016, at which point they shot back like 7 points more liberal. And the next generation is more liberal than that.

That's because liberals are usually poorer and die earlier.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

http://www.people-press.org/2018/03/01/the-generation-gap-in-american-politics/

I'm sorry I called you very wrong, that must have hurt your feelings a whole lot

there's literally no reason to react the way you did dude both originally, and in this response. Be better.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Partisan lean is sticky over time, people don’t become more conservative as they age. Every poll ever shows that millennials and younger are like Democrat +30. That won’t change based on all of the existing evidence but you know, broke brains gonna broke brain

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Asema posted:

actually nevermind

Plural of anecdote isn’t data etc

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Asema posted:

there's literally no reason to react the way you did dude both originally, and in this response. Be better.

Yeah, the fact that you think your anecdote means anything and the fact that I was extremely direct is an actual problem are your issues, not mine.

paternity suitor posted:

Partisan lean is sticky over time, people don’t become more conservative as they age. Every poll ever shows that millennials and younger are like Democrat +30. That won’t change based on all of the existing evidence but you know, broke brains gonna broke brain
The main problem is that the Silents were all expected to be dead by now, and they have lived a very long time due to medical advancement.

You don't even have to kill all the Boomers, if we just could stop the silents from voting in 2020 Trump would literally have a 0% chance of winning - Gen X's parents are the loving worst humans

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The kids in highschool and middleschool right now will be fine.

The little ones being raised on videos of Spider-Man giving Elsa injections will be horrifying beyond belief, however.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

this broke my brain

other than the four metric tons of marijuana in my garage, I possess no drugs

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Asema posted:

Nah man. They are. It's just that you see every single lovely nazi edgelord kid now, even as there's fewer and fewer of them. Also the assholes are loud and unafraid, Trump's taught them they don't have to hide what they think, and the whole conservative movement has become about being as loud and obnoxious to everyone as you can.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 19, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Asema posted:

Actually statistics play it out at the moment, and a loud but small group of Incel dumbasses is not a majority; just loud and obnoxious

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Asema posted:

Thanks, Melania

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Spun Dog posted:

Thanks, Melania
No, that's "Be Best." Michelle Obama's thing was "Be Better."
Everything a Trump does has to be about one-upping an Obama.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1108106443692146688?s=19

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mantis42 posted:

The kids in highschool and middleschool right now will be fine.

The little ones being raised on videos of Spider-Man giving Elsa injections will be horrifying beyond belief, however.

I usualy just lurk here, but I'm sorry, the video of what now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Robot Hobo posted:

No, that's "Be Best." Michelle Obama's thing was "Be Better."
Everything a Trump does has to be about one-upping an Obama.

The next first lady needs to start Be Bestest and we continue doing this until the kids are being inspired by Be Best Infinity Plus One.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Youtube cracked down on them some, but a year or so ago Youtube was flooded with procedurally generated kids content, remixing dozens of characters and scenarios. The whole point was just to get into related videos so kids would watch them and serve ads.

Some of them got weird, and had things where various characters were undergoing medical procedures or being beat up, all while fun kids tunes played in the background.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

theflyingorc posted:

Millennials are doing "kids these days".

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Asema posted:

Nothing in his post was exceptionally aggro, sorry an all uppercase "lol" set off your weird concern trolling?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Lycus posted:

Millennials are doing "kids these days".

We're in our thirties, that's just what happens

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

there's a whole world of robot generated videos for toddlers on youtube, intended to game the algorithm and defraud the advertising system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOfCRTEKP4Q

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Asema posted:

You understand that statement allows for there being CHUDs among the "younger generation" too, right? It's a quantitative statement dude, this poo poo is observable and measurable.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Fidget spinners!?!?!?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

foobardog posted:

We're in our thirties, that's just what happens

Fuckin kids. Get off my lawn!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Youtube is infested with videos trying to hit as many trending keywords as possible, and they target children because children watch a ton of videos (and ads). Recognizable characters make up a huge chunk of those trending keywords, so you end up with countless videos of Elsa and Spiderman doing bizarre things to each other. Youtube showed no desire to do anything about this until a bunch of articles came out shaming them for it.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

oh sweet child of summer, welcome to Elsagate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsagate

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What's up with these rappers with tattoos on their faces.

And MOMO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

haveblue posted:

Youtube is infested with videos trying to hit as many trending keywords as possible, and they target children because children watch a ton of videos (and ads). Recognizable characters make up a huge chunk of those trending keywords, so you end up with countless videos of Elsa and Spiderman doing bizarre things to each other. Youtube showed no desire to do anything about this until a bunch of articles came out shaming them for it.

Not really though. If they wanted to just hit and revenue they would just make regular kid stuff. The videos are so nightmarish for another reason, which changes from "weird meta joke" to "pedophile grooming" depending on who you talk to.