Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Are they supposed to look different? I don't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Let's have Commodore Robert April take the yoke for a bit why not

Lets go full on crazy and get a season of Garth of Izar hijinks. Like right after he started going nuts but before he was diagnosed and committed!

Drone posted:

*Majel Barrett voice*
And now the conclusion...

They didnt gently caress. Spock mind-melded the racism out of her. Turns out she was horribly and virulently racist against Vulcans because she was in love with one who died. The end.

Hated this book lots! But had a good amount of fun live blogging it. Check it out if you're a glutton for punishment: Vulcan! by Kathleen Sky.

Also drat quick read, got through it in like 3-4 hours while also doing stuff like shitposting.

As bad as the Pocket Books could be before the reboot and having a cohesive editor and continuity about 15 years ago, the Bantam Star Trek books were a special kind of hell. But a fascinating look at early Trek fandom.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Epicurius posted:

Some of the soap opera blur is corrected.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Looking for someone to share my improvised cocoon with. Big music fan, love everything pretty much (except Klingon). Must be logical!

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Epicurius posted:

Where I see it most is the effects shots like when the ships are shown and on some of the lcars graphics behind people.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Epicurius posted:

If you view it on a phone, you won't see any difference.

On a laptop/desktop at full 1080p, as Sodomy says, faces and objects are sharper. In the scene with Admiral Ross and Sisko, the graphics on the background screen are much more defined and straightedge. Scenes with ships in space in motion are much sharper.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There's only so much you can do with footage like that. These upscaling algorithms have to be trained, and it would be really interesting to see someone use original versus remastered TNG footage to do that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would personally like to see DS9 HD-remastered with Deep Dream.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mnn4a-Iqc0

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Some of the soap opera blur is corrected.

It really shows up on the TOS remaster with that program:

Takes the vaseline right off the lenses, it does!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Senor Tron posted:

There's only so much you can do with footage like that. These upscaling algorithms have to be trained, and it would be really interesting to see someone use original versus remastered TNG footage to do that.

I wonder how much of the remastering budget they could save if they used the AI for any shot that has compositing going on and rescanned film for the rest. And yeah, they could train the algorithms on a frame from the DVD master vs. a freshly scanned frame of film.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Yeah, there's one other time and it's in TOS of all things, and it's actually a little overboard. In Obsession Kirk chases a gaseous being through space, and eventually traps it with an antimatter bomb that wipes out the atmosphere on a planet. The remaster has an awesome shot of the planet as they fly away with a huge crater and most of the planet's original features erased; I saved screenshots on my main computer that are named before-kirk.jpg and after-kirk.jpg. Phoneposting now but I'll try to remember to upload them tonight.

Here they are. I almost forgot.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kirk boned that planet

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Drone posted:

Hated this book lots! But had a good amount of fun live blogging it. Check it out if you're a glutton for punishment: Vulcan! by Kathleen Sky.

If you 'enjoyed' her work, you can also check out her other novel, "Death's Angel", where the self-insert character's a member of the 'Special Security Division' of Starfleet, a special branch known for, and I quote, 'Gestapo-like techniques', 'a necessary force but a feared one'.

There's a whole section at the back describing their uniforms and rank insignia, so if you want to cosplay as someone's fanfic Starfleet stormtrooper, you can be sure you're being accurate!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that author lived the dream

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We may not be getting a real remaster but I'd love a DS9 that combined an AI upscale like that with a manual color/lighting regrade.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Angry Salami posted:

If you 'enjoyed' her work, you can also check out her other novel, "Death's Angel", where the self-insert character's a member of the 'Special Security Division' of Starfleet, a special branch known for, and I quote, 'Gestapo-like techniques', 'a necessary force but a feared one'.

There's a whole section at the back describing their uniforms and rank insignia, so if you want to cosplay as someone's fanfic Starfleet stormtrooper, you can be sure you're being accurate!

The gently caress? Sounds like the Mirror Universe. Is this like the main timeline except Terra Prime gained a foothold in the Starfleet government?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
why are so many trekkies literally fash

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

Ahhhhh, section thirty-two

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Tighclops posted:

why are so many trekkies literally fash

fash i can almost get but trek libertarians are a true mystery

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Federation as depicted by TNG and DS9 was an honest to god communist SJW utopia and probably the only time such a thing has been presented to mainstream audiences as a good and achievable goal for humanity, so I can only assume right-wing Trekkies are some of the dumbest and least observant people on Earth.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Speaking of bad Trek books from the mid-seventies who were written by authors with incorrect political opinions, I also recently read The Price of the Phoenix by Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath. Turns out both of them are massive, lifelong Objectivists who firmly believe that Star Trek advances Ayn Rand's ideals, and I just can't fathom the level of mental gymnastics they have to pull off to come to that conclusion. They were also both apparently heavy-hitters in that weird era of fandom between TOS and TMP and their Wiki pages paint a picture of them as being pretty much only famous for liking Star Trek, writing a couple really lovely books, doing filk, and being objectivist assholes, all the while living together their entire lives in what is definitely not a closeted relationship.

The main adversary in the book is a literal superman, a mountain of muscle and flesh with a keen Randian genius brain to boot, who has established his own sort of Galt's Gulch planet that reeks of Rapture from Bioshock, and the entire book rotates between him philosophizing about the Federation's pansy-rear end moral interventionist attitude and blahblahblahblahblah, and a poo poo ton of homoerotic scenes where he's Greco-Roman wrestling with Kirk/Kirk's Clone and/or Spock. At one point he actually nearly succeeds in "breaking" Kirk to be his sex slave on his Randian paradise planet for all eternity.

There are some very fine people among fans of Star Trek.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 20, 2019

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Oh, Marshak and Culbreath are their own brand of old-school fandom crazy. I found this quote from David Gerrold about them:

"I met those two women once. One of them began her conversation with, "What you Star Trek writers don't understand--" Oh, really? I was trained by Gene L. Coon and D.C. Fontana. "--is that Kirk secretly wants to be raped by Spock." I gnawed off a leg and escaped. So that might be part of my skepticism. The sentence, "What you Star Trek writers don't understand--" coming from a self-appointed expert who'd never been closer than 3000 miles to the actual creation of the show."

Or there's their adventures in political activism:

"Dave Nolan started the Committee to Organize a Libertarian Party...In his initial draft platform for the LP, Nolan called for withdrawal from Vietnam. Unfortunately, Myrna Culbreath denounced the idea of surrending in Vietnam, and urged more bombing. She basically filibustered until the delegates deleted any reference to Vietnam in the platform. She then dropped out of the LP altogether."

Great people all round!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Brawnfire posted:

The gently caress? Sounds like the Mirror Universe. Is this like the main timeline except Terra Prime gained a foothold in the Starfleet government?

It's the 70s so it's just TOS stuff, not that crazy to think it could exist in the universe of TOS!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

Oh, Marshak and Culbreath are their own brand of old-school fandom crazy. I found this quote from David Gerrold about them:

"I met those two women once. One of them began her conversation with, "What you Star Trek writers don't understand--" Oh, really? I was trained by Gene L. Coon and D.C. Fontana. "--is that Kirk secretly wants to be raped by Spock." I gnawed off a leg and escaped. So that might be part of my skepticism. The sentence, "What you Star Trek writers don't understand--" coming from a self-appointed expert who'd never been closer than 3000 miles to the actual creation of the show."

Or there's their adventures in political activism:

"Dave Nolan started the Committee to Organize a Libertarian Party...In his initial draft platform for the LP, Nolan called for withdrawal from Vietnam. Unfortunately, Myrna Culbreath denounced the idea of surrending in Vietnam, and urged more bombing. She basically filibustered until the delegates deleted any reference to Vietnam in the platform. She then dropped out of the LP altogether."

Great people all round!

I love that the Gerrold quote frames it not as a couple of insane idiots, but as a pissing contest. "I, who trained in the dojo with Coon and Fontana, had to listen to this insolence!"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Angry Salami posted:

Oh, Marshak and Culbreath are their own brand of old-school fandom crazy.

My dumb little free time project over the past few weeks/months has been reading my way through old lovely Trek books in publishing order, because that window of what Star Trek was in the pre-TNG days is just completely fascinating and different to what we have now. I've been writing reviews/roasts of each one and am building up a little bit of a backlog before I start putting them up on a Wordpress somewhere for nobody to ever read.

And because there was a metric poo poo ton of: racism (casual and otherwise), sexism (always blatant), Kirk/Spock slash fiction with just the bearest hint of window dressing to make it seem like maybe it wasn't about how much they wanted to bone or how their love for each other transcends galaxies, complete misunderstanding or failing to predict the ideological bent that Star Trek has/would later cement (like in the Marshak and Culbreath example).

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 20, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drone posted:

My dumb little free time project over the past few weeks/months has been reading my way through old lovely Trek books in publishing order, because that window of what Star Trek was in the pre-TNG days is just completely fascinating and different to what we have now. I've been writing reviews/roasts of each one and am building up a little bit of a backlog before I start putting them up on a Wordpress somewhere for nobody to ever read.

And because there was a metric poo poo ton of: racism (casual and otherwise), sexism (always blatant), Kirk/Spock slash fiction with just the bearest hint of window dressing to make it seem like maybe it wasn't about how much they wanted to bone or how their love for each other transcends galaxies, complete misunderstanding or failing to predict the ideological bent that Star Trek has/would later cement (like in the Marshak and Culbreath example).

Even worse than pre-Empire Strikes Back Star Wars fiction (in which no one knew any real setting details, especially surrounding the Force, so the books/comics went a little bugfuck).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drone posted:

If you can find them, the Best of Trek books were collected articles from the 70s and early 80s from Trek Magazine and have a great look at fandom of the time. Also the "New Voyages" short story collections had fanfiction-there were two of those.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Astroman posted:

Also the "New Voyages" short story collections had fanfiction-there were two of those.

Yep, I've already read (and drafted a review of) the first one. It was... bad, but not nearly in the same way as the one I liveblogged here yesterday. Mostly just lots of barely-concealed slash fiction or just generally poorly-written, strangely-thought-out garbage.

There was this gem though, which I only wrote a paragraph summary about :

quote:

The Enterprise takes shore leave on some planet somewhere, who gives a poo poo where. Kirk beams down with Sulu and McCoy and they take in some shopping -- Sulu sees a “neo-samurai” outfit that he wants (because of course the Space Asian "Oriental" wants to dress like a Space Samurai, it’s the early 1970s!), but Kirk talks him out of it. They go drinking for lack of anything better to do, and to meet some local girls. Kirk leaves the group to go venture out on his own and ends up buying himself the neo-samurai outfit (no idea why), and chooses to wear it around town as if that’s a perfectly normal thing to do. Goes to a locals bar under a pseudonym (neo-samurai getup and all), plays darts and gets in a bar fight, goes to jail. Meanwhile the Enterprise is on the hunt for him, as they’ve detected a distress call that requires them to leave the planet. A confusing journey through a stereotypical mafia underworld (complete with awful, stereotypical gangster names and culminating in someone’s cousin’s wedding, because of course it does), and Kirk is back aboard. And is still wearing his “neo-samurai” suit. It’s loving awful.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FuturePastNow posted:

The Federation as depicted by TNG and DS9 was an honest to god communist SJW utopia and probably the only time such a thing has been presented to mainstream audiences as a good and achievable goal for humanity, so I can only assume right-wing Trekkies are some of the dumbest and least observant people on Earth.

On the face of it, Star Trek is the military defending democracy. The Federation often parallels the USA, with non-Federation aliens representing other, obviously worse countries. Sure, Earth is now a hippie utopia, but we usually don't see it, we see the military. And anyway, the only way to achieve that utopia was probably through the military being really good and solving all the problems. Meanwhile, the military is currently trying to keep peace but occasionally has no choice but to blow stuff up. Right-wingers are (or at least, were) okay with the vague idea of peace and diversity, but don't believe it's achievable in the real world so long as [x] exists, and we need to either defeat [x] or make them more like us first.

I think DS9 (aka The Least Popular One) came closest to confronting this -- even though it's also the one with the stuff about war and religion that could definitely be seen as right-wing on the surface. It's the one that comes closest to presenting the idea that alien cultures are just as valid as our own. When they show the Federation not being perfect, you could see that as attacking Roddenberry's leftist ideals, but you could also (more accurately IMO) see it as confronting the American Exceptionalism that sort of accidentally emerged from the Federation concept as various writers have attempted to make sense of it and used it for various conflicting metaphors.

Of course, these days, anyone even moderately conservative would probably never get exposed to something like that and make their own decisions about it because some dummy goes on YouTube and points out all the secret liberal messages trying to poison their mind, and so if you watch the show you're declaring your allegiance to the ghost of Stalin.

In conclusion, the Alpha Quadrant is a land of contrasts.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 20, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Taear posted:

It's the 70s so it's just TOS stuff, not that crazy to think it could exist in the universe of TOS!

Gestapo-like tactics? Really? I'll have to revisit TOS with the idea of Starfleet rounding up unwanted aliens and political dissidents to ship to the extermination moon.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Gestapo-like tactics? Really? I'll have to revisit TOS with the idea of Starfleet rounding up unwanted aliens and political dissidents to ship to the extermination moon.

So Section 31 then :newlol:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of the things you think of as "barely concealed slash" are just from the days when men had friends, it's a cultural shift.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

A lot of the things you think of as "barely concealed slash" are just from the days when men had friends, it's a cultural shift.

:shuckyes:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
TOS Star Trek, at least was just late 60s America in space, from taking on space racists to worrying about your star ship being hijacked by counterculture hippies, to men not being afraid to show their feelings, to being stuck in a Cold War with a totalitarian empire that you can,t go to war with directly because if you do, some supernatural force will destroy you, to worrying about automation, to being concerned about how far feminism really will go, to getting involved in space Vietnam even though you feel really uneasy about it.

I can sort of see libertarians liking TOS. It's not libertarian, but it's also not Fully Automated Gay Luxury Space Communism.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah from a certain point of view it's sort of rugged individualism embodied in the captain. They are far from home and the ultimate authority aboard their vessel, where a strict hierarchy is maintained. In TOS, you are Kirk, genius historian, ladies man, pugilist, captain of industry Enterprise

Cowboy Diplomacy!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

quote:

What you Star Trek writers don't understand is that Kirk secretly wants to be raped by :spock:

Seems legit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS doesn’t have a unified political point of view, as befits its status as a collaborative work led by guys of such diverse political opinion (or want thereof) as Roddenberry, Coon, Meredyth Lucas, Freiberger, let alone all the other various writers. Its diversity of opinion is part of what makes it live in the memory, it was immensely relevant to an age of questioning moral orthodoxy. Roddenberry’s stuff tends to be very much beating a drum for the American space military on the wild frontier, whereas Coon’s stuff tends to be much more skeptical of the state, the military, almost everything really. I wouldn’t call him a libertarian, but you could certainly read his relatively cynical view of the Federation and Starfleet (both first named by him btw) that way.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

skasion posted:

TOS doesn’t have a unified political point of view, as befits its status as a collaborative work led by guys of such diverse political opinion (or want thereof) as Roddenberry, Coon, Meredyth Lucas, Freiberger, let alone all the other various writers. Its diversity of opinion is part of what makes it live in the memory, it was immensely relevant to an age of questioning moral orthodoxy. Roddenberry’s stuff tends to be very much beating a drum for the American space military on the wild frontier, whereas Coon’s stuff tends to be much more skeptical of the state, the military, almost everything really. I wouldn’t call him a libertarian, but you could certainly read his relatively cynical view of the Federation and Starfleet (both first named by him btw) that way.

That sort of makes me like it more, in the same way I like short story collections. I don't have a central thesis in my life beyond personal belief as to what are positive and negative acts. I'll disagree with myself over and over again during the course of reading or listening to other's input, and it's cool to experience fiction where actually different paradigms are explaining themselves and their conflicts are reasonable, rational. It is far more evocative than a Hollywood liberal trying to write a hardline conservative, a Utah Mormon trying to write an eco-activist, an American trying to write a staunch medieval monarchist, etc. You sense the flimsiness of whatever a singular author doesn't personally ascribe to, it loses its punch.

There's so many times that you see high-minded rhetoric being assumed by everyone on TNG whereas Bones would have been calling it feel-good bullshit that will kill everyone for no good reason. Kirk and Spock and McCoy are such a wonderful triple set of ways to deal with the world, any storyline that goes through that machine has to end up an interesting shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

TOS Star Trek, at least was just late 60s America in space, from taking on space racists to worrying about your star ship being hijacked by counterculture hippies, to men not being afraid to show their feelings, to being stuck in a Cold War with a totalitarian empire that you can,t go to war with directly because if you do, some supernatural force will destroy you, to worrying about automation, to being concerned about how far feminism really will go, to getting involved in space Vietnam even though you feel really uneasy about it.

I can sort of see libertarians liking TOS. It's not libertarian, but it's also not Fully Automated Gay Luxury Space Communism.

TOS definetely has more of a capitalist/libertarian bent than TNG and the rest that started leaning heavily into the Automated Gay Luxury Space Communism, and that bears out in the fiction that was written around it. The Kobayashi Maru (the TOS novel not the ENT novel), has, as part of Chekov's story about the test, him being criticized by the instructing Admiral for self-destructing a "several million credit starship" (as an aside, the audiobook version of this is neat if only for James Doohan putting his vocal skills to work voicing everyone). Dreadnought (man I just cannot stop loving talking about that book apparently) has WWIII be the result of "collectivism". Stuff like that.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 20, 2019