Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for breaking off my engagement over his father's racist remarks?
Hello everyone,

I have been with my (now ex) fiance for just about four years and recently broke off our engagement due to his parent's racist remarks at a restaurant. We were to be married in June of this year.

To make a long story short, we met at a work conference in 2015 and maintained a long distance relationship (he lived in CA, I lived in N.C.) and made it work. We got together for about a week every two months or so, and during this time, I met his family and he subsequently met mine when we were in each other's towns. There were no red flags, not even a hint of how racist his parents really are - I ultimately found this out a few weeks ago.

We (me, him, and his parents) were out to dinner a few weeks ago and this little boy, must have been six years old or so, accidentally tripped our waitress resulting in dropped plates and food getting all over his mother and father.

I had never seen such a dramatic shift in mood, but my future father-in-law stood up and started spewing A LOT of hateful remarks about people of other races -- I'll spare you all the details, but it was extremely vile and disgusting stuff. People started recording on their phones. It was a HUGE scene that left me VERY embarrassed and ashamed to be there - what makes matters even worse was that my mother-in-law did not disagree with him; she sat there nodding her head in agreement My fiance didn't say anything,he just sat there. He didn't acknowledge what his father said, but the fact that he just let it go and didn't stand up to him was very telling.

The day after this incident I drove over to his house and broke off our engagement. Understandably, he was very upset and naturally we had a big argument which I'm sure the neighbors heard. I know he didn't say anything at dinner and I asked him point blank "Are you a racist?" - he did not answer, only turned away. I'm not sure what that meant.

I had absolutely no idea his family was like this and a big life lesson I have learned is to spend more time with a partner's family before making any decisions. I simply can not be with someone whose family harbors so much hate - the apple doesn't drop far from the tree.

What conflicts me is that his family paid for the entire wedding - everything from the venue, to the dresses, to the food, to the decorations. Me personally, I don't come from a lot of money and would have been happy with a nice backyard wedding. But I know they spent a lot which makes me feel terrible.

Does this make me an rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Glad she found out before the ceremony. Gross that the guy doesn't even deny that he and his family are all horrible racists/people.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Sounds more like she's leaving him because he didn't fall far from the unrepentant racist rear end in a top hat tree.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not using my girlfriend’s condom?

Posting from an alt because I’m here for advice not karma

So basically about 3 days ago, i went over to a girl i’ve been talking to for maybe 3-4 weeks, and we were going to do the deed. Of course I came prepared with a Trojan fresh out the box popped into my pocket. I get there and you know blah blah happens and eventually I pull the condom out before insertion. She says “no no, there’s no need, I have some” but I say I already have it and start unwrapping it. Here’s where she gets persistent. She hops up and says “No we’re using mine,” and says she won’t let me until we use one she had. Now she had mentioned wanting kids soon, like in 2 months soon, but thought we’d just maybe mess around for a week or two and that’d be it. I thought nothing of it originally and honestly now I was scared. I said “no, why’re you so persistent.” She then states that if I wasn’t to use hers, I might as well leave. So I put on my clothes, did the ol’ reliable waistband tuck, though there wasn’t much to tuck at this point. I now was texted by her friend calling me an rear end in a top hat and making a big deal out of nothing. I am starting to get second thoughts and thought I should’ve went along

TL;DR: girl wouldn’t let me use my own condom, said i couldn’t smash until I used hers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taking the story at face value, being like "no I insist we use my condoms" while your boyfriend is in the middle of opening their own, with no further explanation, is really weird

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

And artists always wonder why there's a stereotype of them being deadbeats.

I'm not sure if I'd classify this as "wholesome", but it's somewhat entertaining.
My boyfriend [36] made the worst Fantasy Football team name ever, and now he has to face a grieving friend.

This is funny.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for breaking off my engagement over his father's racist remarks?
Hello everyone,

I have been with my (now ex) fiance for just about four years and recently broke off our engagement due to his parent's racist remarks at a restaurant. We were to be married in June of this year.

To make a long story short, we met at a work conference in 2015 and maintained a long distance relationship (he lived in CA, I lived in N.C.) and made it work. We got together for about a week every two months or so, and during this time, I met his family and he subsequently met mine when we were in each other's towns. There were no red flags, not even a hint of how racist his parents really are - I ultimately found this out a few weeks ago.

We (me, him, and his parents) were out to dinner a few weeks ago and this little boy, must have been six years old or so, accidentally tripped our waitress resulting in dropped plates and food getting all over his mother and father.

I had never seen such a dramatic shift in mood, but my future father-in-law stood up and started spewing A LOT of hateful remarks about people of other races -- I'll spare you all the details, but it was extremely vile and disgusting stuff. People started recording on their phones. It was a HUGE scene that left me VERY embarrassed and ashamed to be there - what makes matters even worse was that my mother-in-law did not disagree with him; she sat there nodding her head in agreement My fiance didn't say anything,he just sat there. He didn't acknowledge what his father said, but the fact that he just let it go and didn't stand up to him was very telling.

The day after this incident I drove over to his house and broke off our engagement. Understandably, he was very upset and naturally we had a big argument which I'm sure the neighbors heard. I know he didn't say anything at dinner and I asked him point blank "Are you a racist?" - he did not answer, only turned away. I'm not sure what that meant.

I had absolutely no idea his family was like this and a big life lesson I have learned is to spend more time with a partner's family before making any decisions. I simply can not be with someone whose family harbors so much hate - the apple doesn't drop far from the tree.

What conflicts me is that his family paid for the entire wedding - everything from the venue, to the dresses, to the food, to the decorations. Me personally, I don't come from a lot of money and would have been happy with a nice backyard wedding. But I know they spent a lot which makes me feel terrible.

Does this make me an rear end in a top hat?

Sounds like the boyfriend is also maybe racist and just not that outspoken, but even if not it's legitimate to not marry someone because you don't want their family to become your family.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Posting from an alt because I’m here for advice not karma

So basically about 3 days ago, i went over to a girl i’ve been talking to for maybe 3-4 weeks, and we were going to do the deed. Of course I came prepared with a Trojan fresh out the box popped into my pocket. I get there and you know blah blah happens and eventually I pull the condom out before insertion. She says “no no, there’s no need, I have some” but I say I already have it and start unwrapping it. Here’s where she gets persistent. She hops up and says “No we’re using mine,” and says she won’t let me until we use one she had. Now she had mentioned wanting kids soon, like in 2 months soon, but thought we’d just maybe mess around for a week or two and that’d be it. I thought nothing of it originally and honestly now I was scared. I said “no, why’re you so persistent.” She then states that if I wasn’t to use hers, I might as well leave. So I put on my clothes, did the ol’ reliable waistband tuck, though there wasn’t much to tuck at this point. I now was texted by her friend calling me an rear end in a top hat and making a big deal out of nothing. I am starting to get second thoughts and thought I should’ve went along

TL;DR: girl wouldn’t let me use my own condom, said i couldn’t smash until I used hers

Dat's baby trap bitch!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

what's a latex allergy

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

to a girl i’ve been talking to formaybe 3-4 weeks,
wanting kids soon, like in 2 months soon,

Bullet status: dodged

My best friend (27m) and I ( 27f ) slept together and he pretends it never happened, but I received a letter from him today.

quote:

My best friend and i have been friends forever. I have been in love with him nearly that long. He moved away about a year ago for work, and I went to visit him. He took me out for drinks, and I drank a lot too much.

Back at his place I finally told him how I felt, and I spilled my guts on everything built up over the years. I even cried a bit. In response he told me that he was in love with me also. That night, we slept together in his guestroom/office. When I woke up the next morning he was already making breakfast.

He greeted me with "hey drunky" and proceeded to act like nothing happened the night before. From advice from some people here, I confronted him about it. He basically told me that I must have had a weird dream, and that never happened. He added, did I really feel that way about him. In the face of these questions, and him right there, I relented and agreed that it must have been some weird dream.

Today I received a letter from him. Not an email, an actual letter. I am even more confused now. This is what the letter said.

Dear (my name) I am a coward. I am writing you this letter because I don't have the guts to say any of this to you, and texting or email just doesn't seem right. I will start off by apologizing for lying to you. I remember what happened that night, it was one of the greatest nights of my life. I could hardly believe that you said those things to me, and I took advantage of you being drunk, and I told you all of the things I've wanted to say for many years. The next morning I denied the whole thing happening out of cowardly shame. I hope you can forgive me for taking advantage of you in that state, but I would understand if you chose to cut ties with me. Okay, (myname) I have loved you since 9th grade. One day you came to my house and when I looked at you something changed. We were best friends so of course I couldn't say anything. Through the years we've both dated other people, but it seems that the guys you always chose were the opposite of me. I felt at times in the friend zone and I hated myself for it. I accepted that it wouldn't change and moved on with my life. What happened that night changed everything for me. I don't know if you really meant all those things or if it was tequila talking. I do know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I realize why I am still single, it's because there is only you. I really don't want to put you on the spot or make you uncomfortable, so if you don't feel the same way, here is your out. Burn this letter, pretend you never got it. I will pretend I never wrote it, and we can go back to being what we were, best friends. That night will be just a shared dream of what will never be, if that is all I have I will live with that. All my love (Hisname) So I don't know how I am going to handle this. Was this like a proposal? I'm freaking out.

TLDR MY BEST FRIEND AND I SLEPT TOGETHER, HE PRETENDED THAT IT WAS A DREAM, NOW HE SENT ME A LETTER SAYING HE IS IN LOVE WITH ME.

Update: Pawned my tv and my backup camera, I got my plane ticket. I'm gonna do the letter thing. I'm gonna submit an update with what I'm planning on saying in the letter for you guys. Plz wish me luck.

Update. Flight leaves at noon and I get there at midnight.

Update. I'm waiting for my flight. Working on my letter to him. Here is what u have sofar. If you have any notes don't hesitate to let me know.

Dear Hisname There is alot that I want to say to you. So read carefully. You are a coward, you are also selfish and inconsiderate. What happened that night wasn't wrong, but the next morning you chose to be hurtful and selfish to the person you say you love. That's not cool. For two weeks I didn't know if I could trust my own mind, or my best friend in the world. Thankfully you sent me the letter and let me know the truth. So yes you idiot, I accept your apology. Now that that is out of the way I will get to the other stuff.

This is what I have right now, I will update more before I get on my flight.

Next part. We met when I moved across the street from you in the 5th grade. I was gangly and a ginger. You became my only friend. To me you were my hero. You didn't let the kids at school pick on me and you were always there when I needed you. You say that you noticed me in the 9th grade when I came to your place one day, well let me tell you. I am a photographer, I have loved taking pictures for many years. It's all because of my greatest treasure. For my 12th birthday a boy bought me a sticker camera. It was the only present I got that wasn't from my parents. Do you remember who bought it? That's right, you. You don't know this but I took hundreds of pictures of you between then and the end of highschool. How could you not see my feelings for you? When my dad died a few years ago, I didn't call my bf. I called you. I cried in your arms for what seemed like days. All of this time all you had to do was make a move you coward. I swear this started off romantic, but it pisses me off a little to know that all of this time wasted we could have been together. Now let me be completely straight with you so as to not confuse you my dumb friend. YOU ARE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, I HAVE LOVED YOU BEFORE I KNEW WHAT LOVE WAS AND WILL LOVE YOU UNTIL THE STARS BURN OUT. I forgive you for the lies and for every thing else, but does that mean we can be together? You will just have to wait to find out. Two weeks sounds like just the right amount of time.

There was another update:

quote:

I had his doorman deliver the letter for me and then waited in the taxi for a while. Don't know exactly how long. It almost didn't work, as it was 1 am and the doorman didn't want to take it. After a while I went up and knocked on the door. When he opened the door he was actually in tears. Well not really but I could tell he had wiped his eyes before opening the door. I said, nah only an rear end would make the love of their life wait two weeks. Then I jumped him. More updates to come.

Tldr. Flew to Virginia with a letter of my own to get my man.

Update. To the people who showed lots of love and support, thank you. To the rest, deal with it.

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 20, 2019

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I had never seen such a dramatic shift in mood, but my future father-in-law stood up and started spewing A LOT of hateful remarks about people of other races -- I'll spare you all the details, but it was extremely vile and disgusting stuff.

Was this specific to the waitress, or did he just go on a general racist tirade and try to cover all the bases?

"Alright, I think that about covers the MEXICANS. Now let me tell you about the BLACKS!" :bahgawd:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for cancelling our wedding venue a couple of months before the wedding day?

So about a year ago I popped the big question. I was deeply in love with my girlfriend and everything felt amazing. That is until she transformed into a bridezilla in front of my eyes.

Ever since we got engaged all she can do is talk about the wedding, which was fine at first but it started to consume her. I thought that I would get some say in how the day was going to go but everything I suggest is immediately shot down. The only choice I got to make was my tux and even that had to fit her God drat color scheme.

Well things really started ramping up when her mother came down for the weekend. She's your typical trailer trash woman who married into a successful family. All her ideas are awful and tacky yet my fiancee laps it up like a dehydrated person in a desert. When I try to bring it up with her she tells me that this is "her" big day and I should just be supportive. I told her it was my money and that I should have more say in how it's spent. Her mom picked out maroon table clothes with flowers and suns on them, I feel like it's a funeral for a carnival worker. She even suggested we have beer kegs on tap.

So the last straw was that her and her mother, without my consent, used my credit card as a payment on a venue down by a river instead of the church we discussed where my family has attended for generations and made many contributions, the pricing was even a little cheaper minus the price of the hall afterwards. Who wants to get married next to a stinking river full of flies and whatever other insects will float around, on top of all the people who will just waltz up to the river to enjoy the day while were trying to get married.

I finally had enough so after she told me what she did I cancelled the payment on my credit card (after spending hours dealing with my credit card company) and told her she could either set up a date at the church or find someone else to marry because I've had enough of this. She's spent the last couple hours bawling her eyes out to her mom and making me seem like the monster after she went behind my back.

Am I the rear end in a top hat in this situation?

TL;DR: my fiancee became a bridezilla and won't let me make any decisions and her and her mother have teamed up against me. She chose a venue without my consent so I cancelled the payment and told her that she either goes with my choice of where we get married or we aren't getting married at all.

Update 1: Thank you everyone for your great responses. It has been pretty eye opening to say the least, I'm going to confront her in the morning. I'll post another update for anyone still interested.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

And artists always wonder why there's a stereotype of them being deadbeats.

I'm not sure if I'd classify this as "wholesome", but it's somewhat entertaining.
My boyfriend [36] made the worst Fantasy Football team name ever, and now he has to face a grieving friend.

"Bro, don't ask any questions. I just need you to log into the fantasy league, don't look at anything, and step out of the room for 2 minutes. I also owe you a big favor and I will never tell you why."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

what's a latex allergy

You would think if that was it she'd just explain.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She probably just didn't trust his condom any more than he trusted hers

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

therobit posted:

You would think if that was it she'd just explain.

Then where would the upvotes come from?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

what's a latex allergy

if that were the case, why wouldn't she just tell him?

like i think the possible reasons could be, in order of least offputting to most,

- she has a latex allergy
- she doesn't like the kind he has (it's unlubricated, it's some novelty thing with crazy bumps, whatever)
- she thinks he's been carrying it around in his wallet for months and it's damaged
- she thinks he has sabotaged it to get her pregnant
- she wants to use her own sabotaged ones to get pregnant

and like, even bringing up #3 isn't gonna kill the mood if you're both grown-ups

insisting that they use the one she provided but giving no explanation is pretty weird and coupled with him somehow being aware that she wants babies in 2 months despite only knowing her for a few weeks...i'm inclined to say he was right to get gone like a bat out of hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for cancelling our wedding venue a couple of months before the wedding day?

give your girlfriend some slack for being kind of controlling about the wedding. lots of people get that way and tbh while she should involve you more, nothing she's suggested (beer kegs???? at a wedding???) is really crazy bridezilla stuff.

also, call the police on your mother-in-law for credit card fraud.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

She probably just didn't trust his condom any more than he trusted hers

That occurred to me too, but if she thinks he tampered with his she could still get an abortion. I guess if she's worried about his diseased member infecting her that wouldn't matter though.

I think communication would have solved any issue they might have unless she was angling for a baby though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

therobit posted:

That occurred to me too, but if she thinks he tampered with his she could still get an abortion.

i'm gonna quote this in case you delete it later

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

therobit posted:

That occurred to me too, but if she thinks he tampered with his she could still get an abortion. I guess if she's worried about his diseased member infecting her that wouldn't matter though.

I think communication would have solved any issue they might have unless she was angling for a baby though.

It’s cool that abortion is available in many places (from the post I venture a guess they’re American, which just means it depends where they live) but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t mean “oh I can just get an abortion” is high up on the list of options in a young woman’s birth-control plan. Or did you mean, she could have gone along with it and then just gotten a Plan B the next morning?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i'm gonna quote this in case you delete it later

I typically only edit my posts for spelling or to add something if nobody has responded yet. I also would totally agree that she might just be of the opinion that she doesn't want an abortion or doesn't want to need to get an abortion or whatever. To me the most likely scenario is that she wants her a baby given how insistent she was without any other explanation, and given she has told him she wants kids soon.

Also why is her friend texting him to call him an rear end in a top hat?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for getting really mad at my boyfriend when he said all girls who game are bad?

We were playing together and one of our teammates was doing stuff that was a bit questionable. My boyfriend noticed that the username of the player was girly and started talking about how bad girls are in video games and kept referring to girls as bitches. I got frustrated by it and asked if he thought I was bad too since I happen to be a girl and he replied that I would be if I didn't have him.

I decided to just stop playing after that match. We texted a bit back and forth about this, he said I was a whiny bitch. He also said I was no longer a female in the wild so I wasn't that bad. He complained that I took offense when he didn't say anything offensive. I told him it was really uncalled for and that he can't look at one girl playing and say that all girls are bad, we have run into so many "bad" players that were guys and he said nothing about it.

I don't know if I overreacted about it, I got mad and I did call him a dick two or three times. I told him to not play with me if I'm so bad and that he definitely has some sexism in him. I didn't really get to say much else as he was ranting on about how girls don't have hunting instinct like guys. He has taught me stuff in games that he played before I started, that I won't deny and I've been thankful for it. I just really disagree with what he is saying and I don't think it's weird that I took offense. What do you guys think, did I overreact?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s cool that abortion is available in many places (from the post I venture a guess they’re American, which just means it depends where they live) but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t mean “oh I can just get an abortion” is high up on the list of options in a young woman’s birth-control plan. Or did you mean, she could have gone along with it and then just gotten a Plan B the next morning?

I guess it comes down to whether you really think a guy is gonna mess with the condoms in order to father a child. I know it has happened, but I don't think it's likely that a random guy would do that to trap a random woman he has only known a short time. The only times I have ever heard of that were really abusive guys doing it to their spouses. On the 1 in however many thousand chance that he is up to that, it seems like an abortion could be a valid exit strategy.

The reason I think she MIGHT be doing that is because she said she wants kids soon and insists on her condom over his already open condom but offers no other explanation. If she volunteered an explanation why she did not want to use his condoms, I wouldn't think that.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Sometimes, I wish these stories would end with the woman just clocking the guy in the nose. That she is still calling this loser her boyfriend saddens me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dazerbeams posted:

Sometimes, I wish these stories would end with the woman just clocking the guy in the nose. That she is still calling this loser her boyfriend saddens me.

Coincidentally, here’s one from today’s Dear Prudence

quote:

Q. Abusive partner: What happens when the abusive partner in your relationship isn’t the other party, but yourself? Do you tell your spouse to leave?

My husband and I got into a disagreement in the car because I asked him to look up directions on my phone, not his. He was using his phone and had headphones on, so I wanted directions on mine, so I wouldn’t have to get them from him secondhand. It just made sense to me. He ignored my request, acted like I was being completely stupid, smirked at me, told me to calm down, and then I snapped. I hit him in the face with my phone and gave him a bloody nose. I had parked the car a minute before this happened because I decided to look up the directions myself.

I am so ashamed and embarrassed over my actions. I’ve lost my temper in the past and have gotten physical. Nothing like this, but still inexcusable. I should encourage him to leave, right? He’s not scared of me, but I’m still abusive, so he shouldn’t be with me. I’m truly contrite over my actions and we discussed going to counseling. I need help, he needs help—what do we do?

A: You should definitely be in counseling. Go right now. Don’t just discuss it, or leave a message with a single therapist hoping they’re available tomorrow and then giving up when you don’t hear back in a few days—make finding a therapist your No. 1 priority. You’re framing this right now as if the only person who’s able to end this relationship is your husband—either he chooses to leave you because you’re abusive, or he decides to stay and you’re forced to endure. But I think you have sufficient reason to say, “I’m horrified by my own behavior and ready to acknowledge that this is a pattern that’s getting worse. I want to stop choosing violence when I get angry. Even if those moments are isolated, they haven’t stopped and I’ve become more violent with time, not less. I can’t be a good partner right now until I’ve dealt with this.” Find someone who specializes in helping people break out of patterns of violence and take some space. That doesn’t mean you have to file for divorce tomorrow, but leaving a partner doesn’t have to be done punitively either; you can leave and find your own place, at least for a while, because you don’t trust yourself to be around your husband. Talk to some of your friends you trust and be honest about what you’re seeking help for. Ask for their support as you try to remodel your relationship to anger, violence, and the people you love.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are abusive dudes who tamper with condoms to have babies to try to lock women into relationships. That's definitely a thing.

But it's not the only reason dudes are lovely and shady and gross about condoms. It's not necessarily a trapping thing, it could be a fetish thing or a oneupmanship thing or loving whatever. Stealthing (sneaking the condom off without her knowing) is an epidemic, you run into like 1000 of those dudes for every abusive dude who'll still be there when the baby is born. Tampering with the condom could achieve those goals psychologically while offering more deniability

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting really mad at my boyfriend when he said all girls who game are bad?

We were playing together and one of our teammates was doing stuff that was a bit questionable. My boyfriend noticed that the username of the player was girly and started talking about how bad girls are in video games and kept referring to girls as bitches. I got frustrated by it and asked if he thought I was bad too since I happen to be a girl and he replied that I would be if I didn't have him.

I decided to just stop playing after that match. We texted a bit back and forth about this, he said I was a whiny bitch. He also said I was no longer a female in the wild so I wasn't that bad. He complained that I took offense when he didn't say anything offensive. I told him it was really uncalled for and that he can't look at one girl playing and say that all girls are bad, we have run into so many "bad" players that were guys and he said nothing about it.

I don't know if I overreacted about it, I got mad and I did call him a dick two or three times. I told him to not play with me if I'm so bad and that he definitely has some sexism in him. I didn't really get to say much else as he was ranting on about how girls don't have hunting instinct like guys. He has taught me stuff in games that he played before I started, that I won't deny and I've been thankful for it. I just really disagree with what he is saying and I don't think it's weird that I took offense. What do you guys think, did I overreact?

Don’t date dudes that call girls “bitches” because those dudes are usually buttmad about something.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking my girlfriend to stop discussing our intimate life outside our relationship?

My girlfriend started going to therapy for anxiety and such. I usually ask what they talked about when we talk about our days, and she told me she told her therapist about the ins and outs of our relationship, including sex and intimacy. I asked her not to do that anymore because that should be private, and she accused me of interfering with her progress. AITA for this request?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for asking my girlfriend to stop discussing our intimate life outside our relationship?

My girlfriend started going to therapy for anxiety and such. I usually ask what they talked about when we talk about our days, and she told me she told her therapist about the ins and outs of our relationship, including sex and intimacy. I asked her not to do that anymore because that should be private, and she accused me of interfering with her progress. AITA for this request?

The obvious move is to go to the same therapist and talk about how that privacy violation is stressing you out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

There are abusive dudes who tamper with condoms to have babies to try to lock women into relationships. That's definitely a thing.

But it's not the only reason dudes are lovely and shady and gross about condoms. It's not necessarily a trapping thing, it could be a fetish thing or a oneupmanship thing or loving whatever. Stealthing (sneaking the condom off without her knowing) is an epidemic, you run into like 1000 of those dudes for every abusive dude who'll still be there when the baby is born. Tampering with the condom could achieve those goals psychologically while offering more deniability

i am reminded of something i overheard once at a party in college

guy 1: my girlfriend wanted to have sex with a condom last night!
guy 2: oh man, yeah, condom sex sucks
1: i know, right? and she's on the pill so like i don't get it
2: did she say why?
1: just something about how she wanted to do it that way cause it feels different
2: oh weird
1: and so i was like, 'better different?' and she was like, no, just different
2: she's crazy bro
1: yeah but like i cut the end of it off anyway before i put it on. she's on the pill, like what's the point

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The worst thing about this is that the ages could be anywhere from 12 to 40.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sagebrush posted:

if that were the case, why wouldn't she just tell him?

like i think the possible reasons could be, in order of least offputting to most,

- she has a latex allergy
- she doesn't like the kind he has (it's unlubricated, it's some novelty thing with crazy bumps, whatever)
- she thinks he's been carrying it around in his wallet for months and it's damaged
- she thinks he has sabotaged it to get her pregnant
- she wants to use her own sabotaged ones to get pregnant

and like, even bringing up #3 isn't gonna kill the mood if you're both grown-ups

insisting that they use the one she provided but giving no explanation is pretty weird and coupled with him somehow being aware that she wants babies in 2 months despite only knowing her for a few weeks...i'm inclined to say he was right to get gone like a bat out of hell

The sappy twist is that they both poked holes in each others condoms to try to trick the other into getting pregnant .

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Clawtopsy posted:

I know we get some real whoppers in here but on what planet does a server start going "YOU KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS? MEXICANS." to the customers

wouldnt the kitchen staff kick his rear end

I'm pages late on this, but one of the cooks I work with is a huge trump supporter and god knows how, but he managed to get the (illegal) Guatemalan dishwasher down with Trump. I think about it sometimes and the only answer I can come up with is that they both just loving hated Mexicans.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

You can definitely find pockets of immigrant populations that get super conservative and nationalistic, especially if they’re religious. I’ve heard of it with Korean and Vietnamese communities but I’m sure it applies to others.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I mean, we're taking the narrator at his words his, but he literally says she wants to have a baby within two months and is acting cagey about the condom. I think we can agree that it's at least a little suspect, and not worth the derail.

My [24M] colleague [26F] has a crush on me but I'm not interested - she doesn't speak English.

quote:

Currently I am living in Laos doing voluntary work. I am teaching English in a local school. One of the teachers in the school I work at, Anith, has quite a big crush on me.

Anith and all of the other teachers (even the current English teachers) speak next to no English but can communicate via writing - its usually written wrong but usually it is comprehensible.

A few weeks ago, Anith asked if she could sit next to me during a teachers meal we had, I'm hardly going to look at her and say no - so I said yes. Having only been in the country for a few weeks at that time, I didn't have many friends - she invited me to a wedding with her. I didn't want to say no and appear rude so said yes.

In the build up to the wedding, she messaged me a lot over WhatsApp - being friendly I replied, nothing over the top, just general politeness. She pointed out we were both single - this is where I start to get worried.

Fast forward a few days at the wedding, she was introducing me to people as her boyfriend, she kept hugging me, trying to hold my hand, making me dance and trying to act all 'cutesy' - I didn't want to embarrass her in front of her friends at the wedding, but politely tried to explain that I like being single but she didn't seem to acknowledge what I was saying.

Since the wedding (about 2 weeks or so), I have actively been very blunt over chat in an effort to put her off of me. I have repeatedly said that I like being single and don't really engage her in conversation - to the point where I am genuinely being rude.

In that time she has asked me to dinner, to the cinema, to go on vacation with her next week and, when I was saying that I need to find a new apartment, she asked if I wanted to move in with her. When I said no to that, she said she would move back in with her parents and I can live in her house.

I really don't know what to do. I don't really want to have a native Lao speaker explain to her that I'm not interested because I don't want to humiliate her, I'd like to try and resolve it between the two of us but the language barrier is making it very difficult....

I cannot believe she hasn't taken my blatant hints so far.

Can anyone offer some advice?

tl;dr: I'm volunteering in Laos, a colleague who doesn't speak my language has a crush on me, I've tried to explain that I am flattered but not interested but she won

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The only response to this should be "Give you nuts a tug, titfucker!" and then break up.

This dude deserves exactly 0 respect.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Panfilo posted:

The sappy twist is that they both poked holes in each others condoms to try to trick the other into getting pregnant .

Wait, what ?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

The Gift of the Magi that keeps giving

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

My [24F] boyfriend [25M] of 7 months carries his gun whenever we go out.

quote:

Long story short, boyfriend carries his gun whenever we go out (dinner, movies, etc). We live in the city, it's mostly safe but it's not like crime is nonexistent here. Boyfriend says he wants to ensure being able to defend himself and me if we're ever robbed or attacked. He's 5'7 170 lbs, in good shape but certainly not a mountain of muscle. I'm even shorter and smaller than him. Neither of us know martial arts or physical self defense methods. I do carry pepper spray and I would think that would be enough for both of us but he insists on carrying the gun and says he won't hesitate to use it if necessary.

Am I wrong to be slightly worried? It seems unnecessary to carry a gun just to go to dinner at a restaurant and then come back home. Just a week ago I was being catcalled by these guys who started to walk in our direction while making lewder and lewder comments. My boyfriend confronted the guys (about 6 of them, all bigger than him) and told them to lay off and then flashed his weapon. Sure the guys quickly went away after that but it seemed like my boyfriend blew it way out of proportion by implying he would shoot them. What the gently caress.

I love my boyfriend dearly but this is causing me to lose respect for him and see him as a weaker man, that he feels the necessity to carry it everywhere and made clear his intention to use it on guys who were just catcalling.

tl;dr: Boyfriend carries gun everywhere we go. Seems unnecessary and it's causing me to view him as weak.

Edit- forgot to mention, he owns this gun legally and does have the permit to concealed carry. And I made a mistake by saying he flashed the gun. He didn't brandish it or take it out nor did he even show them the gun. He told them he's armed and touched the handle of the gun through his clothes. Flashed wasn't the right word, my apologies. He just made it clear he has a gun.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Scathach posted:

The only response to this should be "Give you nuts a tug, titfucker!" and then break up.

This dude deserves exactly 0 respect.

Why hello Shorsey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My wife is 27 not overweight (to address questions you might have) and she hates to shower. Can you guys please give me advice on our sex life?

My wife and I have been married since 2016. We love each other immensely and have a 2 yr old daughter. The question I have for you guys involves sex and hygiene. As a man I shower every single day, I mean what can I say even though I work a desk job we still acquire body odor. My wife on the other hand (she’s 27 and by no means overweight) hates to shower and she’s a preschool teacher. She wants to have sex and fool around more, but we get in fights because I would prefer she’s clean before I explore her body or sometimes if it’s been a few days I don’t even want sex because I can smell her even in missionary. She doesn’t like to get clean and shower before because she just “gets dirty again and it’s annoying.” Do you guys have any tips for me?

​tl:dr The title says it all. And she hates "getting dirty" after she showers so I am in a rut and we argue because of it.. :(