Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
PLD oath gauge is super dumb so I agree there, but I don't think Holy Spirit and Clemency need to be gauge based. If anything they should just scrap oath gauge and leave MP, which starts at 100%.

DRK is still more complex, as it uses gauge to build MP (Quietus, Delerium) or MP to build gauge (TBN). Both have their own uses and interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Not to necessarily revive the whole "I'm out of hotbar buttons/macros kill children" debate, but I figured I should at least throw in an alternative. This is for pc players who:

-Don't want to use a controller

-hate MMO mice

-Have a full sized keyboard

Unless you have and are extremely good at using a MMO mouse (Myself, I would constantly lose my place and hit wrong buttons), the mouse in FFXIV is not needed. You have everything you need to play the game right on the keyboard, and as a bonus, the numpad provides an entire set of keys for you to map hotbar actions to (The game treats them separately from the number row).

Here's my samurai hotbar (And yes there are combat macros there, I'll explain)

Left bar is my single target, GCD rotation. 123, 145, 18 are my basic samurai rotation. Numpad dot is my Hissatsu: Kaiten, numpad 0 is what I call my "finisher" macro, is just Iaijutsu with two oGCD abilities set to proc if they're up (Ageha, Hissatsu: Seigan).

Right bar is ctrl+numpad, which I reserve for my AoE GCD rotation, as well as my role abilities (I swear I'm the only person using Arms length during Alphascape 4.0 runs) + limit break.

Middle bar isn't mapped to anything, but more of a larger visual area to keep track of meters and abilities with big cool downs (or abilities I absolutely need to know are up). Nothing on there isn't mapped to a physical button elsewhere, it's more of just redundant visuals.

Bottom bar is my standard number row hotbar. I generally leave it for oGCD abilities to mash out (My Guren macro has a couple oGCD abilities mapped on like feint and shinten. I never mind if feint fires accidentally, as I would never use it if it didn't and it has a long rear end cool down, and while I've had occasion where shinten has fired accidentally before Guren, it's super rare and hasn't actually caused any problems, and I can just mash 1 until my kenki guage is below 25.

I also have a bar dedicated for keys around wasd which I refer to my "Oh poo poo" hotbar, for abilities like stun, ranged pull, and "mash c and hope to get some HP back" macro (Merciful eyes, second wind, bloodbath).

Very top hotbar is transport and utility options, but also has Duty Action mapped to ctrl 1 and 2, which means I actually use them faster than most pubbies trying to find their mouse cursor to click on the box.

I don't have anything mapped herex for samurai (likely will change soon), but I also have a hot bar dedicated to +, -, * and / keys that I use on my drk to change stances.

As far as camera control, I have that mapped to my arrow keys, and I use legacy type movement (as well as map strafe left, right to A and D and ignore turn since I can do that with my camera). I have auto face target when using abilities turned on, as well as auto lock on off. This allows me to be fairly mobile in fights, and if I need to rotate the camera while comboing I can use my thumb on the arrow keys.

When I'm just tooling around the world I can still use the mouse to control my camera movements.

This has actually helped a lot in regards to mouse hand wrist pain as well. If you're wondering what I do when I accidentally hit the num lock key, well I ripped the key cap off my keyboard so I can't unless I really gently caress up.

Anyway play the game the way that's fun for you and doesn't impair other player's fun (too much). I haven't tested this against any current savage content (Only resubbed about a month ago and I had left off at the begining of HW), but I don't see anything specifically here that would cause issues in those fights.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

S.J. posted:

This is basically what I've been doing when there are more than 4-5 enemies, I guess Fire 2 just doesn't feel very powerful. But thanks.

Personally my "optimal" (cause I know I'm not actually optimal) aoe rotation in exdr/70 dungeons is to use Flare with umbral hearts, Fire 3, then another Flare, with them all targeted on That One Annoying Guy In The Pull. Like those polymorphing guys in Arboretum Hard, or the things with more HP, etc. It's actually perfect because it doesn't use too much MP (a Fire 2 in the same spot means you can't Flare) and pulls big and small usually have a few monsters to be concerned about, whether they hit harder or have more HP or throw down aoes.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

MechaX posted:

30 to 60 weeks?!

Using levekits you can get a job from 15-50 every 12 days, from there you can use a combination of beast tribe and custom deliveries to get it up to 70. They're on average about 150-300k a kit plus whatever tip you give to the crafter

If you're starting from zero in everything your leveling process is going to look like this.

-Pick a job, CRP or WVR this will be your first 70.
-Burn your entire 100 leve allowance leveling this job to 60, this will take 99 leves. Use this to plan poo poo out. Getting a job to 60 is very loving important because it unlocks Moogles which can be done at level 50 to 60, the Namazu which will take you from 60-70, and custom deliveries which can be done from 54 or 55 onward for xp and red scrip.
-Do your beast tribe dailies every day.
-Do your GC Turn-ins every day
-After 12 days, your first job should be nearing 70, and you can levekit the next job to 50, and start them on moogles.
-While you're doing all this use your remaining 6 allowance on the Ixal to level CUL to 50, this is going to take awhile so don't worry about rushing.

Ideally if you do all this poo poo like clock work it'll take you maybe 4 weeks to level a job to 70 with a time investment of like 30-40minutes a day. You'll typically have a DoH job just leaving the Moogle level range just as your leve allowance recovers enough to do another levekit so you'll never be that backed up on jobs waiting to level. And for the Ixal and Moogle tribe quests you can accept the quest on the job you want to level, craft the item on significantly higher level crafter and then swap back to the job you want to level when you turn it in. This means that you don't need a loving thing gear wise until you're level 60, when the namazu force you to craft things on that job. Also keep current with your job quests, they're worth a loving ton of xp from 50 onward, just ask a crafter to actually make the poo poo for you.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Learn from my mistake; If you try to level all your low level crafters only doing ixal it will make you yearn for death

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

im not doing this crafter business very fast or very efficiently probably, but after i learned about levekits i decided to make my own "kits" and a few weeks later here i am!

started out with everything at about level 20 (from the last time i played--around when HW came out). did ixal enough to get the mount only. i tried to get at least one or two jobs up to the next class quest per day using the big exp levequests.

now i'm probably going to be a bit lost as i try to get each one up farther, but i think i can figure it out. im pretty proud of myself getting this far :shobon:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Learn from my mistake; If you try to level all your low level crafters only doing ixal it will make you yearn for death

Eh, it's not that bad.

Then again I've only been doing 3 or 6 per day because of doing other beast tribes at the same time.

Also gotta do that daily GC turnin.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Seriously, don't do it

I did and while I like the ixal, I also never want to see a crafting quest marker from them again. I decided to switch from all ixal to other stuff at lv45s, and it's so much faster. It got to the point I went full brain worms and streamlined the 12 quests every day for ease.

Accept in order lv 15 > 16 > 6 > 10 > 3 quest so I could start off with Gridania, move to Ishgard, and finish off with Mor Dhona. Along with skipping all FSH quests for lesser exp because I wasn't that crazy to do them daily

KoB
May 1, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

How does this work with Paladin's Holy Spirit burn phase leaving them with no MP? Or DRK's MP management?

You don't need to jam MP costs onto things. If you just deleted TP most people wouldn't even notice for single target rotations.

They could just make Requeiscat remove the MP cost while up.

There are ways to solve this, but they best/easiest is just remove TP and leave it at that, basically.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

jokes posted:

Just have a class that used to use TP use the same percentage of TP as MP. If a skill cost 60 TP that's 6% of TP so they'll use 6% MP. The problem was with managing TP recovery things and MP recovery things as separate skills.

That makes no sense because TP and MP recover at different speeds.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Make single target rotation stuff for DoW jobs completely free, and have their AoE stuff cost MP. Leave casters the way they are because they're fine with MP being a resource as it currently is. Now you don't have to worry about the slightest bit of Skill Speed running you out of TP in the middle of a fight, which is cool because it's the most fun Samurai build and should absolutely be the optimal Monk build. Go as fast as humanly possible. :colbert:

DRK gets to stay exactly the same since all their AoE stuff is already MP-based or free. Paladin would admittedly be a bit sticky because you wouldn't be able to spam holy spirit when you run yourself out of MP from spamming that spinning AoE slash attack that I can't remember the name of, but eh. Either way, it means I can effectively Manashift the samurai full of more SWORD BEAMS, and that's neat.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

they can just reduce the potency of aoe weaponskills and remove the tp cost and it shouldnt be an issue if youre really concerned about like, WAR being godlike vs dungeon trash. which is whatever

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
AoE is almost entirely trash pulls, minus a small add phase here and there. Shouldn't matter if physical attackers get it for free. Casters can still generally go MP positive after AoE bursts, and Healers running out of MP means either they or the group is bad and thus don't need changes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rastan Beeza posted:

Along with skipping all FSH quests for lesser exp because I wasn't that crazy to do them daily

Yeah you have to be a psycho to do a quest that requires you to stand in in place for 1-2 minutes and hit two buttons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah you have to be a psycho to do a quest that requires you to stand in in place for 1-2 minutes and hit two buttons.

Disclaimer: ARR/HW Fishing quests requiring you to hook a specific fish may take upwards of 30 minutes because the fish refuses to get on your hook.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

EponymousMrYar posted:

Disclaimer: ARR/HW Fishing quests requiring you to hook a specific fish may take upwards of 30 minutes because the fish refuses to get on your hook.

Fortunately they fixed that with Namazu fishing. Too bad they can't go back and redo the Ixal quests.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oh don't count Stormblood out.

gently caress the spearfishing class quest.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Zack Ater posted:

God yes, gently caress that bullshit quest. I finished it, but I refuse to touch the level 70 one because gently caress fishing.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Zack Ater posted:

This. The only good thing about fishing was that you could turn up your sound effects, tab out and watch a video while you fished; spearfishing is still just as slow but now you have to be actively watching the screen to do anything.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I find spearfishing more fun but that's because I don't like afk game mechanics.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I love spearfishing because you can remove a significant chunk of the RNG inherent in fishing with abilities and grilled turbans were an excellent leveling food.

I hated the 68/70 spearfishing quest though because going into duties reset your progress on the shadowy node.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Palace of the dead to grind all jobs to 50 seems like a pretty rough way to level. There are all the side quests or whatever but uhh... meh.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vandalism posted:

Palace of the dead to grind all jobs to 50 seems like a pretty rough way to level. There are all the side quests or whatever but uhh... meh.

It's only one way, and it's spamming floors 50-60.

If you're in an FC, you can also ask a tank/healer if they mind spamming dungeons with you. If you're a tank/healer, spam dungeons.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Tashilicious posted:

It's only one way, and it's spamming floors 50-60.

If you're in an FC, you can also ask a tank/healer if they mind spamming dungeons with you. If you're a tank/healer, spam dungeons.

True. Also potd is almost like spamming dungeons, which is how I leveled in wow.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Can people find out which character a retainer belongs to? I've got so much crap in my inventory and retainers inventory and want to just get out of here asap by undercutting by a lot, but I imagine theres some weirdos who get pissed off about that sort of thing.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Cappy posted:

Can people find out which character a retainer belongs to? I've got so much crap in my inventory and retainers inventory and want to just get out of here asap by undercutting by a lot, but I imagine theres some weirdos who get pissed off about that sort of thing.

do it anyway
and yes you can find out, there's usually a line for who the retainer belongs to on the market boards.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

vandalism posted:

Frontlines PVP also is a decent way to get exp about same rate as potd, if you want some variety and don't hate PVP that is.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh and MSQ roulette, for characters up to around the mid fifties, is *also* a very good solid source of XP.

You can easily get a couple levels for a character doing roulettes, sub-50 to 60.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Captain Cappy posted:

Seconding do it anyway. I've made 3 million gil undercutting dudes left and right last week just selling trash I collected leveling up harvesters.. I wouldn't have made 1 if I didn't do that because there aren't enough hours in the day to babysit every single facet of game available that I'm working on at the moment..

If dudes want to play and manipulate a market to get their monopoly man fix that's their business and I welcome them to buy me out and relist to their hearts content. I'll just throw up 5 more stacks a few moments after they buy me out and relist what they got from me for 10x markup and force their hand.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Captain Cappy posted:

Just do it™

If weirdo's get lovely, report them for harassment and black list them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tashilicious posted:

do it anyway
and yes you can find out, there's usually a line for who the retainer belongs to on the market boards.

Where's that? All I see are price, qty, total, and retainer name.

If it's a crafted item you can see who made it, but that's it as far as I can tell.

Also, undercut all day every day.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Where's that? All I see are price, qty, total, and retainer name.

If it's a crafted item you can see who made it, but that's it as far as I can tell.

Also, undercut all day every day.

I think you have to click on the retainer name to find out. Or on the specific auction to get more details. But there is a place to see who's retainer it is.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

if you undercut me by ridiculous amounts i will end you

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tashilicious posted:

I think you have to click on the retainer name to find out. Or on the specific auction to get more details. But there is a place to see who's retainer it is.

I've been playing since launch and never seen this and can't get online atm so a screenshot would be appreciated.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Meanwhile, on Hydaelyn Shard-2...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Undercut literally everyone

Trash the market. It's good fun

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean undercutting is the market at work. Not undercutting means the market is broken. Supply and demand, baby!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Can people find out which character a retainer belongs to?

Not directly, but if you're selling stuff you crafted, the items mention that.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Everyone is undercutting everyone else on the mb all the time to the point where it's common to see items up on the mb that are far less than their vendor price. So go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EponymousMrYar posted:

I am only talking about the Ixal quests there, my dude.