Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

thehoodie posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this (please direct me if not), but google is shutting down Inbox and forcing everyone to move back to Gmail. I can't stand Gmail (why would I possibly want 5 separate I boxes) - is there an alternative that allows bundling, snoozing, and swooping like Inbox? Preferably with a desktop equivalent.

Why, google, why? :smith:

You can snooze and swipe to archive/delete/mark-read/move in Gmail - default on swipes is Archive, but you can change that (one for left and one for right) in General Settings, and Snooze is in the three-dot menu by default.

I'm not happy about it either (GIVE ME REMINDERS IN GMAIL), but I don't use bundling and as long as I can swipe to snooze/archive, I'll be fine, I guess??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this (please direct me if not), but google is shutting down Inbox and forcing everyone to move back to Gmail. I can't stand Gmail (why would I possibly want 5 separate I boxes) - is there an alternative that allows bundling, snoozing, and swooping like Inbox? Preferably with a desktop equivalent.

Why, google, why? :smith:

I just switched out of Inbox to Gmail about a week ago. What I did was just turn off all the other inboxes, so everything is just in the one primary inbox. I can still swipe left or right to archive emails I'm done with, and it's more or less like Inbox to me.

I also don't seem to get any ads inside the primary inbox.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Bundling is one of the most necessary features for me - both to organize my inbox and to mass-archive unnecessary emails - so I hope they bring it to Gmail. Will be a significant hit to my email productivity without it.

In any case, I'm riding it out until they force me to Gmail kicking and screaming.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Bundling is one of the most necessary features for me - both to organize my inbox and to mass-archive unnecessary emails - so I hope they bring it to Gmail. Will be a significant hit to my email productivity without it.

In any case, I'm riding it out until they force me to Gmail kicking and screaming.

Aren't bundles just arbitrary labels? They're not as convenient to use as they'll clutter the sidebar fast but if you assign a working label as you would a bundle you can still act on all elements of a label at once as you would a bundle. Once archived you can just delete the label to reduce clutter or don't and stop caring about sidebar labels since they're easily hidden.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I need bundles/label group headers to appear on the main screen, when they don't do that it's not useful for me.

Outlook trip report: I use Outlook on my work iPhone and love it. I was getting used to it on my Pixel 3, but it started requesting I sign back in to my Gmail account but wouldn't accept that I had. I have had to uninstall it and reinstall it to get it to sign in. It works for a few hours before it happens.

Search continues.

EDIT: Decided I would go nuts with labeling and notifications like in the Before Times and found out that I can't create, edit, or delete labels with the Gmail app. :doh:

I haven't logged into desktop mail in like a year. I just... I am clearly no longer Gmail's ideal user.

effika fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 20, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PowerAmp has updated to add support for Chromecast and Google Assistant voice commands.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Aren't bundles just arbitrary labels? They're not as convenient to use as they'll clutter the sidebar fast but if you assign a working label as you would a bundle you can still act on all elements of a label at once as you would a bundle. Once archived you can just delete the label to reduce clutter or don't and stop caring about sidebar labels since they're easily hidden.

Bundles will sort emails into one expandable bar that declutters your inbox significantly. It also does this automatically if you've set up filters correctly. Currently, for instance, my inbox has three emails bundled together under "Canada News". If I don't want to read them I just click/swipe to archive all. Or if I want to wait, they take up much less space than in Gmail. Gmail doesn't have this feature afaik

I've spent so long getting my inbox perfect for my needs, this is really frustrating for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Bundles will sort emails into one expandable bar that declutters your inbox significantly. It also does this automatically if you've set up filters correctly. Currently, for instance, my inbox has three emails bundled together under "Canada News". If I don't want to read them I just click/swipe to archive all. Or if I want to wait, they take up much less space than in Gmail. Gmail doesn't have this feature afaik

I've spent so long getting my inbox perfect for my needs, this is really frustrating for me.

Not that I don't empathize but to paraphrase John Belushi, you hosed up--you trusted Google. You're not going to find anything that treats email anything like how Inbox did. I was a big fan of it too you'll just have to find a different system.

effika posted:

EDIT: Decided I would go nuts with labeling and notifications like in the Before Times and found out that I can't create, edit, or delete labels with the Gmail app. :doh:

I haven't logged into desktop mail in like a year. I just... I am clearly no longer Gmail's ideal user.

Heh, I never considered anyone would try to manage mail on the phone. Yeah GMail is not going to be what you want here.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

Not that I don't empathize but to paraphrase John Belushi, you hosed up--you trusted Google. You're not going to find anything that treats email anything like how Inbox did. I was a big fan of it too you'll just have to find a different system.

Only kind of related, but this is basically exactly what was going through my head when reading about Google's announced game streaming service.

Like, why would I pay Google a bunch of money for access to streaming games if said game library is going to vanish, or at best stagnate, in 2-3 years?

Google has a well known fear of commitment.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Fair point. I am just hoping there is/will be an alternative.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Fair point. I am just hoping there is/will be an alternative.

While I don't know your workflow, and by the sound of it the one you have is pretty noisy, there's that three inbox workflow that went around a few years ago that sounded good to me?

I wish I could help more but I'm an inbox zero kind of guy who gets maybe three emails, all useful, in a day.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Has anyone used a good habit tracking app?

I am looking for something that I can set up some goals for myself and track how well I am keeping up with them. Things like go to the gym X times a week, study for X hours a day, etc.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am looking for something that I can set up some goals for myself and track how well I am keeping up with them. Things like go to the gym X times a week, study for X hours a day, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daylio

I've been using Daylio for a few months now and I like it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Chrome's nav bar is now back at the top on my phone, what are you doing Google please make up your loving mind

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I used HabitHub for quite a while and liked it fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rstudioz.habits

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My GMail box is out of control. I get a poo poo ton of emails in my inbox in addition to the other folders and lately I've been missing important stuff. My thought is to set up some rules on my Gmail account to forward certain emails to another email address with push capability so I can set that app to vibrate my phone and watch. I'm open to more elegant options though. Anyone used an app to solve a similar issue? Perhaps something like this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hermes.enotifylite

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My GMail box is out of control. I get a poo poo ton of emails in my inbox in addition to the other folders and lately I've been missing important stuff. My thought is to set up some rules on my Gmail account to forward certain emails to another email address with push capability so I can set that app to vibrate my phone and watch. I'm open to more elegant options though. Anyone used an app to solve a similar issue? Perhaps something like this?

You're the exact use case for Inbox. It exists for another 12 days.

You should be able to set up notifications based on your Gmail labels, or did that go away?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I stopped getting notifications from the Gmail app when I switched to Inbox, but now that Inbox is going away, I uninstalled it and wanted to go back to the vanilla app.

But I'm not getting push notifications from the normal Gmail app.

It's still processing emails I think in real time, because I get a Google Now notification for example when a package from Amazon ships/is delivered. Although maybe that's reading from SMS delivery updates?

But I'm not getting a Gmail notification.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Annath posted:

I stopped getting notifications from the Gmail app when I switched to Inbox, but now that Inbox is going away, I uninstalled it and wanted to go back to the vanilla app.

But I'm not getting push notifications from the normal Gmail app.

It's still processing emails I think in real time, because I get a Google Now notification for example when a package from Amazon ships/is delivered. Although maybe that's reading from SMS delivery updates?

But I'm not getting a Gmail notification.

I'm guessing you've checked the notification settings for GMail and made sure they're turned on? The Inbox app at one point offered to turn them off for you.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you've checked the notification settings for GMail and made sure they're turned on? The Inbox app at one point offered to turn them off for you.

As far as I can tell they are:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Are those all important emails?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Priority notifications is a blessing. You have to train it a bit but it filters lists out the box ime

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Annath posted:

As far as I can tell they are:

GMail is notorious for notifications just not happening so there might not be anything you can do but there might be additional settings in the app itself to look at (I think that's whatever your phone's style is for notification channels in the settings). If those are all turned on too then I'm out of ideas.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

nvm

johnny park fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 22, 2019

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I just want email pinning :negative:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

I just want email pinning :negative:

If this old 9to5google report is accurate, it will eventually come along with bundles.

Of course that was two months ago and you'd think they'd have had it ready by the Inbox shutdown date.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Pocket Casts updated to add multi-select, so all is well in my podcasting world.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can someone link the pixel camera apk?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Is there a good recommended swipe keyboard? the built in samsung one constantly gets stuff wrong

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I checked the OP and the last few pages and didn't see anything: is there a good audio recording app that won't spy on my poo poo (i.e. no camera/location/phone access)? I don't mind dropping a few dollars. I just want something where I can set my phone (Pixel 3 XL, if it matters) in the middle of a table and have it record the room for meetings and things.

When I'm interested in a super simple hardware application like this, my first stop is the F-Droid repository. There are a few audio recorders there. Results will vary, but there's not much of a hassle to try stuff out.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is there a good recommended swipe keyboard? the built in samsung one constantly gets stuff wrong

Have you tried Gboard? People sometimes like other keyboards for their swipe-feel more, but Gboard is extremely needs-suiting.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Eikre posted:

Have you tried Gboard? People sometimes like other keyboards for their swipe-feel more, but Gboard is extremely needs-suiting.

No, I'll give it a shot thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm no graphic designer, but I want to start making custom buttons for a program (specifically, Reaper) and I'm trying to find a good app to do that. I just downloaded Adobe Draw, but I don't know if that'll do the trick.

For clarification, I'd prefer anything that can do layer styles, like shading and/or shadows. That's not a requirement, but definitely would be a plus. (edit: I'm aiming for skeuomorphism)

Free or Premium, I don't care, provided I don't have to pay a subscription fee.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 26, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Is there any way to edit the layouts for AnySoftKeyboard? The dot being so close to space makes.me.type.like.this.all.the.time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

EDIT again: This appears to have been the right move. SFTPing stuff like a champ.

Just checking in with my pro-active recommendations for Solid Explorer for your file transfer etc needs. Absolutely great workflow for the app.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I used to use Dashclock, but two updates ago my extensions broke, and now that I'm on Pie it seems to have broken entirely. Is there a good alternative, free or not, that can at least show my next alarm and calendar appointment. Showing the time in a large font and having other features (e.g. weather, unread emails) would be a plus.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone have suggestions on using an old phone as a security camera?

We have an sick pet, and we'd like some way to monitor how often and how much he eats, uses the litter box, etc during the day while we're at work. I have several old Android devices sitting in a drawer. They'll have old OS updates and crappy batteries, but working cameras and would be plugged in.

All we really need is a way to record a day's worth of footage to review in the evening. It'll be on wifi, and I assume it'd need to back up to our computers on the network or something, given the limited internal storage of these old phones.

Has anyone done something like this? Any suggestion on where to start? I'd prefer not to have a monthly fee (I don't need cloud backup of multiple days or whatever), but if that's the only option I'll consider it.

Edit: to be clear, I see a bunch of apps for this on the app store, but I didn't know if there was some aspect of it that I should be aware of. Also some of the apps look super shady.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 27, 2019

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

incogneato posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on using an old phone as a security camera?

We have an sick pet, and we'd like some way to monitor how often and how much he eats, uses the litter box, etc during the day while we're at work. I have several old Android devices sitting in a drawer. They'll have old OS updates and crappy batteries, but working cameras and would be plugged in.

I tried this once and it worked good for a couple hours but would eventually shut down due to overheating and was ultimately rather unreliable. Granted this was with a Samsung S3, so YMMV.

I ended up getting one of those cheap cameras off amazon for like $29 and it worked much better for my situation.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There's also a coded file size or time limit or something in the default camera that will pause recording at 2 hrs or something. You need a camera app that explicitly starts a new file for you. I had one but forget what it's called

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I used an app called Motion Detect that would take pictures when anything in the frame changed. Then Folder Sync to push them to my nas periodically. Don't know what the status of those apps is these days.

Anyway, I think you probably don't need full and continuous video for the task, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dirby posted:

I used to use Dashclock, but two updates ago my extensions broke, and now that I'm on Pie it seems to have broken entirely. Is there a good alternative, free or not, that can at least show my next alarm and calendar appointment. Showing the time in a large font and having other features (e.g. weather, unread emails) would be a plus.

I wrote a post a while back about trying to rid myself of depricated extensions and the primary motivation was exactly this, that I'd been using the Dashclock widget on my homescreen. I guess it's good I moved on when I did!

That said I wasn't able to replicate everything. I use Another Widget to give me calendar appointments 3 days out and Dark Sky weather, but alarms still require using the status icon plus looking in the quick settings pane (and to modify I have to use the app drawer).

In the end there just isn't anything that does what Dashclock did and nothing has anywhere near the wide adoption that Dashclock had. For some things you can cobble together something in KWGT that shows dynamic text but those won't work with external apps for the most part and it's a pain to do.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 28, 2019