Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

I mean undercutting is the market at work. Not undercutting means the market is broken. Supply and demand, baby!

This, a thousand times. They undercut by a gil, you slash a hundred thousand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

undercutting helps reveal the contradictions inherent in internet video game capitalism and is your solemn duty

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It probably doesn't help that FF14 has the worst market board implementation in all of video games. A 2000s era KMMO wherein the market was dictated by literal stalls in town would present less insane economic trends than FF14 does.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I am only talking about the Ixal quests there, my dude.

Yeah except the thing they described also applies to the higher tier Ixal dailies, after it happened to me a few times I stopped doing them (I also stopped doing the mining/botany dailies because they suck).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Trasson posted:

This, a thousand times. They undercut by a gil, you slash a hundred thousand.

I mean the idea is supposed to be that prices creep down toward some reasonable floor. In practice though people stupidly just race toward the bottom and try to crater the price well below what it's worth, or even below vendor price for some ungodly reason. The market is just full of people thinking "well if I sell it at one gil no one will be able to undercut me!"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

orcane posted:

Yeah except the thing they described also applies to the higher tier Ixal dailies, after it happened to me a few times I stopped doing them (I also stopped doing the mining/botany dailies because they suck).

Weird, I don't think it's ever taken me more than like 10 casts. Maybe 15 at most.

It goes much faster if you only hook the fish you need, as well. The quest fish have a strong tug and the non-quest fish have a light tug so you can just let the light tugs get away and not go through the catching animation.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Glagha posted:

for some ungodly reason.

Spite.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I got this materia for free just by hanging out with my pals Orphan Lady and Other Orphan Lady, so 5k is really asking too much if you think about it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Glagha posted:

In practice though people stupidly just race toward the bottom and try to crater the price well below what it's worth, or even below vendor price for some ungodly reason.

Look, after spending a couple days watching my stuff get undercut by a single gil within minutes of undercutting them back, I'm frustrated enough to just lop off 10-15% of the price in the hopes that the drat thing just sells already.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rainuwastaken posted:

Look, after spending a couple days watching my stuff get undercut by a single gil within minutes of undercutting them back, I'm frustrated enough to just lop off 10-15% of the price in the hopes that the drat thing just sells already.

plus if they choose to undercut you again then they lose that 10-15% as well

I usually lop off way more than a gil because most of the time I want to just sell my stuff and clear inventory space

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Something is only really worth what people are willing to pay for it so I tend to compare my prices to the item history and bench them around whatever people recently paid.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Emalde posted:

It probably doesn't help that FF14 has the worst market board implementation in all of video games. A 2000s era KMMO wherein the market was dictated by literal stalls in town would present less insane economic trends than FF14 does.

While I agree its not great, its far faaar away from the worst, oh boy the poo poo I've seen. And at least FFXIV's market board is fully useable without 3rd party addons.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had never really understood how the MB worked until I saw people go from selling Conditional Virtue at 8 mil to 5 mil over the course of 2 or 3 days. That was hurtful. On the bright side, I learned that gpose itself has additional camera zoom. One day I will deliver you all a good picture, just you wait.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Im kind of glad ff14 doesn't let you set buy orders on things because I'd spend way more gil on stupid poo poo if it did

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rainuwastaken posted:

This is why selling high end gear is something I don’t particularly enjoy (or do). I stockpile materials and intermediate crafts (ingots, thread, etc) and sell those. You don’t have the 500k gil payday, but it’s way easier to sell 20 stacks of 25 of something than babysit the market board for a week hoping that I’m the lowest price when someone is buying gear.

On the other side, I did crash the i380 caster shoes a few weekends ago from 700k to sub-250k and sold the shoes I crafted on the way back up at 350k. So in conclusion, the market board is a land of contrasts.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Phone posted:

This is why selling high end gear is something I don’t particularly enjoy (or do). I stockpile materials and intermediate crafts (ingots, thread, etc) and sell those. You don’t have the 500k gil payday, but it’s way easier to sell 20 stacks of 25 of something than babysit the market board for a week hoping that I’m the lowest price when someone is buying gear.

On the other side, I did crash the i380 caster shoes a few weekends ago from 700k to sub-250k and sold the shoes I crafted on the way back up at 350k. So in conclusion, the market board is a land of contrasts.

I've always found (at least on omega) the intermediate market is much more cutthroat, due to more people

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Glagha posted:

I mean the idea is supposed to be that prices creep down toward some reasonable floor. In practice though people stupidly just race toward the bottom and try to crater the price well below what it's worth, or even below vendor price for some ungodly reason. The market is just full of people thinking "well if I sell it at one gil no one will be able to undercut me!"

The people who literally have no concept of profit I can't say anything about, but for the rest, the answer is simple. Unlike real life, there is very little cost to switching markets. Leveling all eleven DoH/Ls is easy, so there's no sense of "well I could sell all of these swords at just above cost but if I do then the sword market crashes and it'll be impossible to make further profit on my swords" because you just go "well I could sell all of these swords at just above cost and then go sew some dresses".

Put another way, there is no benefit to me, the supplier, to do anything other than try to get as much money as I'm happy with out of the deal. Just to pull a complete hypothetical that definitely didn't occur if I were to spend an entire weekend watching Youtube LPs and gathering the materials for dozens of pieces of level 50 caster gear to sell at heavily-undercut-but-still-inflated prices to fresh Blue Mage idiots and constantly undercut each competitor by 10, 20, even 40%, then yeah by the end of that weekend level 50 caster gear is going to have tanked in price be worth maybe 50% of its prior glory at best.

But what do I care? I made my money, and I can move on to greener pastures. That Blue Mage gear was no longer worth the money to make a week later is irrelevant to me, and it shouldn't be: it's not my responsibility to ensure a stable market.

The other factor is shelf space. Every character is limited to between 40 and 160 slots to sell items in. As such, to make money, you want items to be moving from inventory to sale space as fast as possible, and from sale space to the customer as fast as possible. On fast moving items needed in bulk (i.e. crafting materials) you can often be satisfied sitting nowhere near the cheapest price tag on the (usually correct) assumption that the items are selling faster than supply can keep up, and so you'll get your turn sooner rather than later.

But when it comes to higher priced premium items -- top end gear, primal weapons, niche glamour pieces, etc. -- you can have days, a week, or even more between sales of that item. At that point, if you want to actually sell, you have to be the cheapest when someone comes calling. The only way to be that is to do one of two things: either you adjust prices constantly to stay on top of the game, even by one gil, or you price so low that the profit loss becomes untenable to your competitors and makes them flinch for hopefully long enough that you're first on the list when a buyer clicks on the item. Since a great deal of people have a life outside of FF14 (citation needed) the first option is out of the question, and so people resort to the second.

Stormgale posted:

I've always found (at least on omega) the intermediate market is much more cutthroat, due to more people

This relates to my point above. It's more cutthroat but there's also more demand. Like even now, in the pre-expansion lull, the high end intermediates (Silvergrace tier stuff for crafters/gatherers, Evergleam tier for combat) are going to have the greatest demand of anything worth a price tag. Everyone who's looking to make a quick buck knows that, and so you're going to have a lot of supply and people trying to undercut each other. Here's the thing though: as long as those people are undercutting their existing stock as opposed to listing more at a cheaper price, the supply hasn't changed. If your stack of ten ingots was the fifth cheapest listing when you were ten gil above the competition, you're still the fifth cheapest if you're ten thousand. Plus, with intermediate materials, there's two axes you can attack: you can be the cheapest absolutely, or you can be the cheapest per item. You can also aim for price/quantity ratios that haven't been hit: if everyone is selling ten ingots a pop for 60,000 each, you might be able to score some great sales at selling five listings of individual ingots at 70,000 a pop. All of these combine to make a market with much more availability. Yes, it seems more cutthroat because bulk lots and individual lots are competing on the same table, and there are more people because of this, but there's also far more opportunity to be had.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 20, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stormgale posted:

But there are way more markets to be in (and pull out of). When things get too crowded, you can move to an underserved market and set up shop there for a while. There also tends to be completely desolate markets that you can take control over; for a few weeks I was the only game in town for Jade Peas (level 15 BTN node?) and probably made close to 300k moving peas. Do this in a handful of areas, and it’s possible to make ~2.5 milllion/week with minimal time and effort janitoring your retainers.

The patch lulls also exacerbate fluctuations, but it’s possible to thread the needle and make money in the chaos.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

For me it's mostly effort, I feel due to the constant supply/demand I have to shift more goods and make more alterations to prices for intermediaries for similar profit, vs the higher end stuff (while it was in demand) which I can modify once/twice a day and just rotate stock as they sell to hit whatever is a good margin?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

undercutting by 1 gil is cool and good

undercutting by crazy amounts is annoying and bad

be cool and good

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Undercut constantly, never stop

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I price everything at 1 gil under what npcs sell it for

If I run them out of business I can take over

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

All of you goons posting bad market advice should have to post your gil.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Do whatever you want. Make a hundred gil or a thousand, whatever clears out the inventory.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bleu posted:

kill the rich

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

kill the rich

this is horrible

such a waste if you don't eat them afterward

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Bleu posted:

Twelve and a half gil, send pineapple pudding please I'm so hungry

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
We are rich with inventory space.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bleu posted:

am i posting bad advice? Pls advise.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

About 60% of my inventory is full of dyes so having nothing in my inventory is important to me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I really need to purge my bags of crafting mats.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Phone posted:

am i posting bad advice? Pls advise.

you still aint hungry harvey rich

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It doesnt work for finished products, but one of the benefits of severely undercutting intermediate materials is that people become more likely to buy them instead of buying something that costs 20x the cost of materials for something they can just make themselves

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bolow posted:

you still aint hungry harvey rich

how rich is harv?

I can change this...

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Undercutting by a gil is annoying on a controller so I just lop a few thousand off the price because who cares it's still a 500% profit margin

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i just want someone to buy my glazenuts please

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Almost done maxing crafts. Any tips of crafting yellow scrip farming? Need to get a hold of 120 Kingcraft for the crafting gear, and I already used two weeks of custom deliveries for the gathering gear

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DontMindMe posted:

Almost done maxing crafts. Any tips of crafting yellow scrip farming? Need to get a hold of 120 Kingcraft for the crafting gear, and I already used two weeks of custom deliveries for the gathering gear

Just wait another two weeks to get the scrips for the crafting gear.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Another thing to keep in mind with the market is location. If you're buying from a retainer in another city, there's a slight extra fee. Sometimes it's more than the teleport fee to relocate, sometimes it's not. If you're not undercutting but matching someone, it can be the edge you need. Especially if it's convenient for leves or class quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Argas posted:

Another thing to keep in mind with the market is location. If you're buying from a retainer in another city, there's a slight extra fee. Sometimes it's more than the teleport fee to relocate, sometimes it's not. If you're not undercutting but matching someone, it can be the edge you need. Especially if it's convenient for leves or class quests.

I generally only teleport to another MB if what I'm buying is particularly expensive. Like, I don't mind paying extra to just get the thing from the Ul'Dah board instead of teleporting to Gridania and running through the zone-change to the market board, but if I'm buying high-end gear at hundreds of thousands of gil then I'll definitely eat the teleport (or, typically, the aetheryte ticket).

It's also good to note for your own purposes that you can save on fees by switching your retainers to reduced-tax markets. Typically two of the five market zones will be at 3% rather than the usual 5% at any given time. I remember when SB launched, the Kugane markets were at 0% tax for awhile. It's possible this will happen again when SB launches. :v: