Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If normal wired Apple earbudpodswhatever fit my ears, will the wireless ones work just fine? And I mean, while running for a job excluding weird weight lifting angles.

Yeah you’ll be fine. Just buy them from an Apple store if you can because they will take them back within two weeks no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

If normal wired Apple earbudpodswhatever fit my ears, will the wireless ones work just fine? And I mean, while running for a job excluding weird weight lifting angles.

It depends. Mine fit my ears fine unless I get into my car wearing them when one will invariably fall out.

The silicon covers aren't terrible. I keep some in my junk drawer and put them on as needed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waiting for the day apple wakes up and realizes that they can sell more stuff if they provide options to people.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
People (well, Goons) already bitch that there are too many models of iPhones and iPads.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

Did they mention anything about improved sound or volume? I assume not.

$199 is a pretty hefty price for some wireless charging not sure if it’s worth it or not honestly.

Think of these as the equivalent to an S series phone- same basic function with some new QOL updates. Allegedly these were the Airpods that were supposed to release last year but never quite made it- possibly because Airpower didn't either. My Airpods have hit the "Hi, it's been two years so your batteries suck balls!" line but I still want to hold off for the alleged mark III's with the actual water resistance, health features, and hopefully a different material.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Think of these as the equivalent to an S series phone- same basic function with some new QOL updates. Allegedly these were the Airpods that were supposed to release last year but never quite made it- possibly because Airpower didn't either. My Airpods have hit the "Hi, it's been two years so your batteries suck balls!" line but I still want to hold off for the alleged mark III's with the actual water resistance, health features, and hopefully a different material.

Thanks that’s the impression I got I just wanted to make sure.

Yeah I’m gonna stick with my gen 1s because they are still rock solid. I fully expect them to give up the ghost after I type this though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The wireless case is worth it if you want to wireless all the things and you have gen1. Plus you get a fresh battery in your charge case. Otherwise yeah, not worth it if you have gen1.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is the Air Power Pad ever coming out? That's the only thing holding me back...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Beats X made it a bit over 2 years before they decided it was time to die. I got a new pair and it’s nice having a battery that actually lasts half a day.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I really wish anyone was doing an airpod trade in deal. I'd probably upgrade if I could soften the blow a bit, I've definitely noticed a decrease in battery life.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Meh. At least it doesn't cost more unless you get the wireless case. I was hoping the rumor that they'd offer airpods in black was true

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

wait so all this fuss and still no AirPower news? Lol

Endless Mike posted:

My Beats X made it a bit over 2 years before they decided it was time to die. I got a new pair and it’s nice having a battery that actually lasts half a day.

have they updated the beats x at all yet? Love them, but battery life is pretty awful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

wait so all this fuss and still no AirPower news? Lol

have they updated the beats x at all yet? Love them, but battery life is pretty awful
Not as far as I know. My previous pair was just dying randomly, at times wouldn't turn on, and had a battery life of maybe 4 hours when it was working as expected, so it was time to replace.

I really wish AirPods were comfy for me, but they're just not at all.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I got a battery replacement on my 6s last December (just over a year) and now the capacity is down to 91%-does that seem like a lot to anyone else?

The battery randomly drops to 50% and I’ve tried draining it to zero and recharging it but that hasn’t helped either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Given that apple has been doing silent refreshes on most of their stuff, you never know. They actually did upgrade the box packaging they come in, but it’s the same Beats X.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Mine would last me around 3 days of commuting before I had to charge, they were about two years old. Then I stupidly lost them in a pub because I forgot they were on the back of my jumper when I took it off. I don't think I could be trusted with airpods.

I bought a new set and the battery life is much better, but it looks like they cheaped out on the packaging and you no longer get a nice carry case with em.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

nwin posted:

I got a battery replacement on my 6s last December (just over a year) and now the capacity is down to 91%-does that seem like a lot to anyone else?

The battery randomly drops to 50% and I’ve tried draining it to zero and recharging it but that hasn’t helped either.

How often are you running the battery down? iPhone batteries are designed to have 80% of their original capacity after 500 full charge cycles- The equivalent of running it from 100-0 even if that takes 2-3 days. Call Apple, they can run a diagnostic and tell you if it's normal or not but you can still get a cheaper battery replacement even if the Free Battery Bonanza is over.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

nwin posted:

The capacity sounds about right. Generally, the batteries are good for about 2 years before they’re noticeably bad, and battery health warns you at 80%. So 9% in a bit over a year is probably normal.

The 50% thing is a little weird though. If you plug it in, does it charge as if it were at 50%, or does it charge faster than normal? It could just be an odd display/reporting issue, or it could be a prematurely failing battery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

track day bro! posted:

Mine would last me around 3 days of commuting before I had to charge, they were about two years old. Then I stupidly lost them in a pub because I forgot they were on the back of my jumper when I took it off. I don't think I could be trusted with airpods.

I bought a new set and the battery life is much better, but it looks like they cheaped out on the packaging and you no longer get a nice carry case with em.

I forgot there was a case at all since I never used it, but yeah, you're right, I guess the new ones didn't come with one. I keep mine on almost all day at work which certainly explains how they died in two years.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Endless Mike posted:

New AirPod launched. Hey Siri functionality, wireless charging case, new H1 chip, same awful for me design.

https://www.apple.com/airpods/

E: $199 with wireless case, $159 without. Case available alone for $79.

Finally

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone explain what the huge advantage Apple’s AirPower thing was going to provide that isn’t replicated by buying two or three normal mats for way less and putting them beside each other?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because one thing that does three things is cooler than three things that do one thing!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Can anyone explain what the huge advantage Apple’s AirPower thing was going to provide that isn’t replicated by buying two or three normal mats for way less and putting them beside each other?

On plug to rule them all. One Mat for all your devices. Apple style Apple tax.

That’s pretty much all I can think of!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they can make it so you can plop your phone on it however and it will charge, then it'll be really good, and the rumors seem to be suggesting their inability to do just that is what's delaying it. In any case, I prefer stand chargers since you don't have to worry as much about how the phone is placed in it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I have a flat charger on my nightstand and every night is less "plop it down" and more "dislocate my shoulder trying to get it in the right spot while laying in bed".

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I just put mine down on the puck and it charges

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Granted my only phone with wireless charging was the S7 Edge but it was never that much of a pain in the rear end to get wireless charging to work.

If you struggle with it I'd recommend one of the stand type wireless chargers.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want data through air power so I can plop my phone down on a charging pad in my car and connect to car play.

I’d buy a new phone for that. And a new car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just buy a wireless carplay head unit so you don't even need a pad. :science:

Well you'd still need a wireless charging pad but it doesn't have to be a special one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The alpine ilx-107 is dope

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The GPS on my iPhone 6 seems broken. The blue circle is always huge in Google Maps and Apple Maps. Is there anything I can do?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bigis posted:

The GPS on my iPhone 6 seems broken. The blue circle is always huge in Google Maps and Apple Maps. Is there anything I can do?

Did you do any troubleshooting?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I’ve rebooting, updated to the latest iOS, and flipped location services on and off in settings. I guess the only thing left is a restore?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bigis posted:

I’ve rebooting, updated to the latest iOS, and flipped location services on and off in settings. I guess the only thing left is a restore?

Yeah, give that a go.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I did a restore and my GPS still doesn’t seem to work, the circle is huge. I guess my iPhone is hosed then?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

bigis posted:

Doesn't it prompt you to do the gyroscope jiggle? Try opening the Compass app and see what happens.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I got an email from Spectrum this morning wanting me to switch over to their cell service (and I have to buy their phone) but it got me looking around for other options. Anyone here use Google Fi as your carrier on your iPhone? Pros/cons? I've been with ATT forever and I care less about actual phone call usage or data speed so I'm probably going to change up my plan.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The spectrum mobile offer is actually pretty good I’d take a hard look at them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Google Fi in iPhone is just T-Mobile but all your data gets sent to Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

azzenco posted:

I've been with ATT forever and I care less about actual phone call usage or data speed so I'm probably going to change up my plan.
Then you may want to also consider Cricket, which is also ATT.