Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

"I see a lot of things." Gets a laugh out me every time.

"I ain't saying nothing!"
"Well what do I tell the doctor?"
"Tell him to go suck a lemon!"

loving slays me every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It really is painful the moment it's modern simpsons and they gently caress up the most basic joke behind his name.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
They maybe could have made it work if they had him go off on a ridiculous yet mundane rant, ala Billy and the Cloneasaurus. Like, do a bait and switch with his name + running gag.

Buuuut that's probably too clever.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I can't pinpoint the lowest moment but it certainly went into freefall over shitsville with "The Principal & The Pauper".

Hey guys here's this character you've grown to know and love over the last eight years HAHA he's really a fuckin' phony! It would have worked as a joke reveal in a Treehouse of Horror segment but Jesus H. tapdancing Christ this whole episode was "canon" and just resulted in a delivery from cop-out country anyway. Big plot twist! Ah whatever it's been resolved let's never speak of it again.

loving poo poo.

Edit:
Jesus loving Christ it was nearly 22 years ago!! I was roughly 10 when I saw this!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I can't pinpoint the lowest moment but it certainly went into freefall over shitsville with "The Principal & The Pauper".

Hey guys here's this character you've grown to know and love over the last eight years HAHA he's really a fuckin' phony! It would have worked as a joke reveal in a Treehouse of Horror segment but Jesus H. tapdancing Christ this whole episode was "canon" and just resulted in a delivery from cop-out country anyway. Big plot twist! Ah whatever it's been resolved let's never speak of it again.

loving poo poo.

Edit:
Jesus loving Christ it was nearly 22 years ago!! I was roughly 10 when I saw this!

hot takes here.

I don't want to go on this rant again, but I'm currently trying to avoid my responsibilities, sooo...

Principal and the Pauper, in retrospect, is objectively not really that bad. If you listen to the commentary for it, you learn that they weren't trying to pull a big "gently caress you" on the audience, but rather they were attempting experimental satire on the nature of sitcoms and the ridiculous premises sitcoms concoct that people will accept in the name of a show keeping the status quo. They missed the mark in failing to recognize how attached people had become to Skinner and their other characters, but this also means that their experiment successfully proved the opposite of their hypothesis that viewers would just accept it like they had every other "back to the status quo" moment up to that point.

A few other things:
1. Skinner's character and backstory was already iffy through the entire run of the series up to that point.
2. It's a sort of boring but competently produced episode otherwise and doesn't feel like a huge departure from form.
3. There are still many good episodes that came after it, it isn't a pinpoint of decline, but rather it just stands out and came around the start of the decline.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I've always liked the episode, I feel like most of the hate is just people jumping on the bandwagon

I could believe that Arman respected Skinner so much that he would do something as nuts as live out his life just to keep his mother from thinking he was dead

I will admit the ending seemed just thrown on, I get they were making fun of TV shows and continuity but still

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 21, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think P&tP is a funny episode with a bunch of classic lines. I'd be fine with them doing more "out there" storylines if it meant the show stayed funny (it didn't).

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I didn't realize I was supposed to hate principal and the pauper until the internet told me it was the worst thing produced in the history of mankind, over and over and over again

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's a much better episode than the later ones with similar endings like Trash of the Titans or the one with Snowball V or the previously discussed Fit Fat Tony episode.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

pretty soft girl posted:

I didn't realize I was supposed to hate principal and the pauper until the internet told me it was the worst thing produced in the history of mankind, over and over and over again

Especially because are people really that attached to the deep lore of Skinner? When people talk about that it seems so performative and phony. I love the Simpsons characters too but it's a show that's always played with the flexibility of their reality and often messed with the ideas of their own world and existence pretty regularly.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So it's official now, Simpsons have gone to Disney.

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1108134895799267329

I'm sure this will improve quality immensely...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Let the live-action reboot begin

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a much better episode than the later ones with similar endings like Trash of the Titans or the one with Snowball V or the previously discussed Fit Fat Tony episode.

Fat Fit Tony :’(

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Disney may actually finally mercy kill the show since they don't need it at all like Fox apparently still did.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The best option would probably be to retool the show to have only a few episodes per season, set it firmly in the 90s, get back to hand painting, and hire people at random form shitpost threads

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-roYsuq4Vw
So many laughs in a mere three minutes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sentient Data posted:

The best option would probably be to retool the show to have only a few episodes per season, set it firmly in the 90s, get back to hand painting, and hire people at random form shitpost threads

Put it on indefinite hiatus, no one would really notice if they just played random episodes on Sunday nights

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

Put it on indefinite hiatus, no one would really notice if they just played random episodes on Sunday nights
Sunday schedule is hosed, so do Simpsons Classic, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, New Coke Simpsons until they get some good shows in.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they would ever consider actually splitting up the syndication by referring to the seasons as "Simpsons Classics" and "Simpsons Beyond" or whatever. Probably not, because Al Jean doesn't think the show ever dipped in quality.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I wonder if they would ever consider actually splitting up the syndication by referring to the seasons as "Simpsons Classics" and "Simpsons Beyond" or whatever. Probably not, because Al Jean doesn't think the show ever dipped in quality.

I bet that fucker thinks that every new season is better than the last

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I mean I think he knows it's trash but he also loves a paycheck and a steady job.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Tbf I'd probably sell out as hard as him for a few million a year

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You’d think you’d get some integrity back after already amassing basically an infinite amount of money but I guess it becomes a numbers game at that point for people.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Iron Crowned posted:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
do what I did, change your name to Sam Simon and watch the money roll in

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Jay Rust posted:

These “Best Of Minor Character” are just “all of Minor Character”

Very true. Here's Raphael, a truly noteworthy resident of Springfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1GRBjUEHck

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’ve heard that they have in fact considered breaking the episodes up into 2 or 3 packages to spread among multiple licensees, but this would require Fox to cancel the show so that syndication rights can be renogotiated.

They’d almost have to shuffle the episodes if they did this since who would want to buy nothing but HD era episodes?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The couch one was really annoying. They really grasped at straws to make the family want their lovely old couch back, to the point of insulting the audience. I think show writers would be better off just avoiding these type of stories altogether. Bob's Burgers has done this a handful of times, like one where the restaurant sees a huge increase in business by adding some tacky theming, but Bob feels this is against his belief that the food should speak for itself and removes it, causing them to lose their huge influx in business.

I first watched that episode while extremely high and it hosed with me even more some how, and I was just flat out incredibly disturbed by their actions. It was pretty goddamn funny.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

We covered P&tP a few pages ago, but the whole ordeal is a bit weird. I actually really like the episode now, especially in retrospect, but I don't think I ever really disliked it. I mean, I think I hated the concept, rather than the episode itself. Even when I saw it for the first time, my initial reaction was WTF?, and while it did leave a negative impression on me for a LONG time, I thought the episode itself, in terms of jokes/humor/etc. was actually quite fine.

It's true that by the show always had outlandish moments, but this was something quite different than say, Homer walking out of an elevator and plunging from the top of the nuclear plant, and finding himself safe and sound in the next scene. This was a case that was actually pertinent to a entire episode's plot. It's one thing to be totally wacky and unpredictable. It's another thing to completely re-tool the entire origin of a well loved character.

Of course, it could also be argued that by that point, the show was going into the more cynical, totally off the wall plot points and scenarios as well, so P&tP shouldn't have really been all that surprising.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It could probably use some more time to flesh out the ending a little.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Up yours, children.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It could probably use some more time to flesh out the ending a little.

The ending is the best part. Declaring that none of it actually mattered and to just forget about it is hilarious. Also there is something so cruel about getting rid of a guy by tying him to a chair and putting him on a train to somewhere.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JfishPirate posted:

Very true. Here's Raphael, a truly noteworthy resident of Springfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1GRBjUEHck

Lol each and every one of these clips was gold. I didn't even realize he was a character either. I like that he had some variation on how he looked/sounded. I kinda miss the inconsistent background Springfielders like that. It made the town feel bigger and more alive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1. Skinner's character and backstory was already iffy through the entire run of the series up to that point.

Skinner was way better when he was a competent administrator of a crappy school and shell-shocked vietnam vet who happened to live with his elderly mother (because he was taking care of her, we should assume) than the flailing incompetent mama's boy he became in the later episodes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh lord. That second clip shows just why I'd rather deal with the pain of discs than stream the show. It just looks so awkward.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Skinner's mother making him pay her for all the food he ate as a child is hilarious

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

lisa the vegetarian is a preachy episode because paul mccartney is a preachy stuck-up fart. he refused to do the show unless her becoming vegetarian would be a permanent change, because it's a serious topic.

I hope the moment he dies the Simpsons writers start having Lisa eat meat again.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Season ten was complete trash.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm looking forward to Disney fixing the Simpsons but also simultaneously making it worse in a new, exciting way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm looking forward to Disney fixing the Simpsons but also simultaneously making it worse in a new, exciting way.

They’re signing on JJ Abrams to direct.