Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

remember when they showed that google assistant that would call the hair salon or the restaurant for you and then it was never made available to the public because the entire thing was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

you mean that thing thats available now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
honestly if they just set it up so that it's got low latency to college dorms then it might work out

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sagebrush posted:

i goddamn fuckin hate airpods because we have a "no headphones in the shop" rule for obvious safety reasons and it used to be easy to tell bc you'd just look for the cord but now they're almost invisible. i have to wave my hands in people's faces to get their attention. real fuckin helpful if i'm ten feet behind you and notice you're about to cut off your hands

lol ok officer :rolleyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rapeface posted:

Yeah, I don't forsee it working for anyone without the best internet connection money can buy even with their 7500 edging locations and I wouldn't trust Google to see anything through anyway.

It goes beyond the other game streaming services, it's a dev platform supported by Unreal/Unity that lets you do cool things on the cloud. So instead of simulating multiple copies of a game that connects to a server, it's all there in a single, synced instance that can have really complex physics or whatever because there's no client-side calculation.

Split screen co-op wouldn't incur a performance penalty. Shareable game-states off a browser url, game invites off a url, video streaming can obviously been done from the cloud. I think this is unique, but tbh I haven't paid that much attention to game streaming.

Most of the coolest poo poo needs devs to start with developing on the cloud instead of just porting it so it's pretty unlikely, but just the fact everyone has a browser means the barrier to entry for a new player is lower than a flash game. Having a free triple AAA game demo available at a click in a browser and having it seamlessly transition into the full game because google knows all your credit card details might get studios to try it. Even if it's just a decent port, they announced Doom Eternal will be launching at 4k HDR 60 fps. For a college student without money to blow on a great computer, that's an awesome value proposition.

And here's a cool ML art prototyping thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUih5C5rOrA&t=3340s

source you are quotes

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
https://twitter.com/Venumidas/status/1108071616636993536

although if anyone can fix this kind of input lag, it's the company behind the android operating system

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sagebrush posted:

remember when they showed that google assistant that would call the hair salon or the restaurant for you and then it was never made available to the public because the entire thing was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

They have released it, it isn't available for gsuite accounts if that is what you mean

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think it is hilarious that every time google rolls out a new feature, geez wheat users who pay for their accounts don't get them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rapeface posted:

Yeah, I don't forsee it working for anyone without the best internet connection money can buy even with their 7500 edging locations and I wouldn't trust Google to see anything through anyway.

It goes beyond the other game streaming services, it's a dev platform supported by Unreal/Unity that lets you do cool things on the cloud. So instead of simulating multiple copies of a game that connects to a server, it's all there in a single, synced instance that can have really complex physics or whatever because there's no client-side calculation.

Split screen co-op wouldn't incur a performance penalty. Shareable game-states off a browser url, game invites off a url, video streaming can obviously been done from the cloud. I think this is unique, but tbh I haven't paid that much attention to game streaming.

Most of the coolest poo poo needs devs to start with developing on the cloud instead of just porting it so it's pretty unlikely, but just the fact everyone has a browser means the barrier to entry for a new player is lower than a flash game. Having a free triple AAA game demo available at a click in a browser and having it seamlessly transition into the full game because google knows all your credit card details might get studios to try it. Even if it's just a decent port, they announced Doom Eternal will be launching at 4k HDR 60 fps. For a college student without money to blow on a great computer, that's an awesome value proposition.

And here's a cool ML art prototyping thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUih5C5rOrA&t=3340s

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Dodoman posted:

this was all on some sort of "google network connection" so not a real world example

apparently there were artificially introducing somewhere in the neighborhood of 90-150ms of latency in to their demo to simulate lovely home internet

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

apparently there were artificially introducing somewhere in the neighborhood of 90-150ms of latency in to their demo to simulate lovely home internet
and you believe it! amazing!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

steamlink tech works well enough, I don't see a reason why the same couldn't be hauled across an internet connection

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why do you think PlayStation Now has not completely supplanted PS4 sales?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

coke posted:

listening to music while walking kinda makes it harder to pay attention

listening to music makes it harder to see an oncoming car or crosswalk signals?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

My Linux Rig posted:

listening to music makes it harder to see an oncoming car or crosswalk signals?

Wish listening to music made it harder to see ur posts, OP.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

why do you think PlayStation Now has not completely supplanted PS4 sales?

because you can't play new ps4 games on it, for one.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Schadenboner posted:

Wish listening to music made it harder to see ur posts, OP.

my posts could beat up ur posts :mad:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I found out today that you can't rate apps in the play store anymore if you are using a gsuite account lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

steamlink tech works well enough, I don't see a reason why the same couldn't be hauled across an internet connection

i mean yeah but somehow theyll manage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember kids, make sure you're only buying the android one phones, they're the good ones

oh, wait

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

remember kids, make sure you're only buying the android one phones, they're the good ones

oh, wait

been discussed at some length in the security thread for the curious, i rather maintain that there is no better option still. huge fuckup, but still innocuous instance of a run of phones getting incorrectly loaded with qualcomm drivers configured for china, where registering the imei like that is apparently required for network access

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

that seems pretty loving bad to me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

least bad not necessarily good yeah, and as i said 'a huge fuckup'. it seems pretty clear-cut a mistake/bug though, a part of the qualcomm driver package getting loaded that shouldn't have been, with reporting liking to play up the china bogeyman despite being a touch incidental

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is the little qualcomm service playing a tattletale btw https://github.com/bcyj/android_too...utoregistration

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's android, so a "mistake" is indistinguishable from an intentional attempt to harvest your data, and despite everyone's insistence otherwise, still happens on android one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean, sure, by comparison it's fairly innocuous, just a unique hardware id and your location. enough to directly identify you with access to subscriber records, but not rifling through your contacts or anything.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly one has to work really hard to reconstruct the parts of why it'd be intentional, hmd would have to have some kind of backroom deal with china telecom i guess, and is qualcomm in on it or did they opportunistically use that code to create plausible deniability? seems a pretty complex plan to then not at least do it over https

it being a mistake does not make it less incompetent though. tbqh i suspect this is the final nail in the coffin of hmd, i don't think they've done that well before, and this is getting a lot of play in the news

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 23, 2019

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwW5e61nHQ

lol @ the crease

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

those phones have existed for all of a month too, they're not even going to last the two-year term of a contract

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

those phones have existed for all of a month too, they're not even going to last the two-year term of a contract

hardware that matches the android support cycle

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
being concerned with China getting a hold of your data from your Android phone is actually racism. :rolleyes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's android, so a "mistake" is indistinguishable from an intentional attempt to harvest your data, and despite everyone's insistence otherwise, still happens on android one

all androids harvest data by design, it's just a question of how many entities besides google they send it to

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and almost more importantly who google sells/shares/leaks the data to

otoh it is indeed racist if you go "this particular thing is sure to be nefarious" on only the basis that something chinese is tangentially involved

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rime posted:

My s7 has decided to poo poo the bed in a most spectacularly obscure fashion:

The last OTA update seems to have corrupted /misc, and removed "Settings" - as in the core system application. Didn't notice for a few days, rebooted, got stuck in an endless boot loop. Wiped to factory, phone is still hosed up. Settings is gone. Anything which accesses it just turns up a "Settings has crashed" notice, or fails to open at all.

So now I've got a phone which can make calls, text, browse the web, and do PDA things, but I can't access WiFi, Bluetooth, Location, or anything else which requires any form of system setting menu, or which needs those functions.

Whelp.

I can't flash recovery, or the whole firmware, or a custom firmware to fix this, because I can't access settings to enable dev mode to allow OEM unlocking. What a nightmare. :cripes:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol i almost eqd that too

now theyve discovered that new phones can be more than $700 and wants to know how to fix it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is why you should never update an android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

google leaving a trail of corpses like blown roses, averaging one every nine days in 2019

but hey, looking forward to stadia!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LastInLine posted:

lol i almost eqd that too

now theyve discovered that new phones can be more than $700 and wants to know how to fix it

this is why i always buy last year's model for $300

if you're doing something with your phone that actually needs the newest most expensive version, drat son re-examine your loving life and buy a laptop already

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

this is why i always buy last year's model for $300

if you're doing something with your phone that actually needs the newest most expensive version, drat son re-examine your loving life and buy a laptop already

it was a three year old phone that person was complaining about so its not like they didnt get their moneys worth

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pretty much all the comments on stadia reveal that i read were "can't wait for google to kill this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've been bitching about googles corporate ADD for years, ever since they made it plain that they had nothing even approaching a roadmap for g-suite and would just disable or change functionality on a whim with no notice. apperently it took a few more years for that sentiment to catch on elsewhere.

i still love that sidewalk labs is an alphabet company though. like, yeah, you fucks can't keep an email app running for three years but you're gonna build a loving neighbourhood