Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JFairfax posted:

I dunno she's been charged with 11 criminal felonies
She was born rich, she'll die rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A Sun article written by a shill for a non-Brit talking about hypocrisies...

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

She was born rich, she'll die rich.

Madoff ended up in prison.

as a rich person the best way to end up in jail is to rip off people richer than you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm getting whiplash reading that.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

baka kaba posted:

When David Cameron quit he went "doo do doo do doo" which is the T2 music

he probably also quoted it at some point in embarrassing scenes that have been memory holed

Actually it's, "Doo do doo, doo doo doo. THUMP THUMP"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've been reading about Brexit tonight... as I do every night, it seems.

But tonight, the pages from 23 to 27 from Watchmen's last part come to mind, very strongly, especially with the extension talk.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

endlessmonotony posted:

I've been reading about Brexit tonight... as I do every night, it seems.

But tonight, the pages from 23 to 27 from Watchmen's last part come to mind, very strongly, especially with the extension talk.

My copy of watchmen is in the closet and I don't want to move my desk. Is that the bit where Rorschach screams do it or is it the part where Dr manhattan is like "nothing matters lol"?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MrFlibble posted:

My copy of watchmen is in the closet and I don't want to move my desk. Is that the bit where Rorschach screams do it or is it the part where Dr manhattan is like "nothing matters lol"?

The word are "In the end?", but yes. Both of those parts.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

JFairfax posted:

Madoff ended up in prison.

as a rich person the best way to end up in jail is to rip off people richer than you.
Madoff was some old oval office. Shes 35, she'll get a nothing sentence, she'll waltz it and then she'll rehabilitate herself and get back to making money. Billy McFarland will do the same too.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

endlessmonotony posted:

The word are "In the end?", but yes. Both of those parts.

I feel like my summation of his meaning was accurate and fair.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

Madoff was some old oval office. Shes 35, she'll get a nothing sentence, she'll waltz it and then she'll rehabilitate herself and get back to making money. Billy McFarland will do the same too.

well whatever happens the trial should be entertaining

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've probably seen T2 about 300 times, ever since the You Could Be Mine video blew my mind as an 8yo GnR fan. Try to suggest a better movie - that's right, you can't, shut the gently caress up.

Have you seen the live show at Universal Studios?

It's pretty great and I recommend it. Fun fact: The 12 minutes of film they made for the live show was for a time the most expensive movie per minute ever produced. Thinking about it, maybe it still is? It cost $5m/minute to make.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MrFlibble posted:

I feel like my summation of his meaning was accurate and fair.

Yeah but that's the implied part about him stating none of the misery and strife will ever end.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Have you seen the live show at Universal Studios?

It's pretty great and I recommend it. Fun fact: The 12 minutes of film they made for the live show was for a time the most expensive movie per minute ever produced. Thinking about it, maybe it still is? It cost $5m/minute to make.

I have indeed. The guy playing Arnold looked like Joey Tribbiani, and it was thoroughly enjoyable

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah but that's the implied part about him stating none of the misery and strife will ever end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kNX_kmb4jo&t=113s

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol I'm supposed to be transiting through frankfurt airport at the end of April, this is going to be great

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol I'm supposed to be transiting through frankfurt airport at the end of April, this is going to be great

"supposed to" might prove more prescient than you'd like.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ratjaculation posted:

i'm sad that climate change is slow and painful, like dehydrating to death in a climate refugee camp rather than being wiped out by a mile high tsunami like in Day after Tomorrow

hmmm how about neither??

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

JFairfax posted:

But for an absurdly over-the-top view of Britain launched from across the Atlantic, nothing beats that of Tendayi Achiume, the UN Special Rapporteur on racism, who last May described Britain as suffering a rise in “explicit racial, ethnic and religious intolerance”, all thanks, of course, to Brexit.

SO HYPOCRITICAL

Achiume, who comes from Zambia, is assistant Professor of Law at the University of Los Angeles.

lol this is the best part, "gently caress the US media who concocted this nonsense report by the United Nations, headed by a Law Professor originally from Zambia! Also, Los Angeles bad, so how can Britain be bad?"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JFairfax posted:

Achiume, who comes from Zambia, is assistant Professor of Law at the University of Los Angeles.

that's the university of california, los angeles you loving hacks

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I don't understand the (mock?) outrage that Britain is not allowed to participate in the EU27's discussions about what to do about Brexit.

There's a reason this was included in the treaty, it's because otherwise the withdrawing member could just sabotage and leak everything and make the whole process an utter slow-moving nightmare. I mean, even worse than it is right now, because the UK would be screwing it up from both ends and not just the one.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Sulphagnist posted:

I don't understand the (mock?) outrage that Britain is not allowed to participate in the EU27's discussions about what to do about Brexit.

There's a reason this was included in the treaty, it's because otherwise the withdrawing member could just sabotage and leak everything and make the whole process an utter slow-moving nightmare. I mean, even worse than it is right now, because the UK would be screwing it up from both ends and not just the one.

Leave means you've got to leave the room, because you're leaving us

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I think much of that outrage is real, not mock. Remember Brexit was fuelled in part by imperial nostalgia and the resultant anger that the world doesn't bow to us as the pre-eminent power on the planet. By their logic, of course we should be in the room - the rest of them should be grateful we ever bothered with the European Project for as long as we did, and should just give us the Rainbow Unicorn Brexit we want and deserve.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

Elizabeth Holmes will never walk into a jail cell but I'm okay with that because she deprived a lot of very wealthy investors of money

For a lot of them the entire loss will be absorbed through tax write offs. They can probably spread the loss out over multiple years so that they don't pay any taxes for a while, if they were at all.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

I think much of that outrage is real, not mock. Remember Brexit was fuelled in part by imperial nostalgia and the resultant anger that the world doesn't bow to us as the pre-eminent power on the planet. By their logic, of course we should be in the room - the rest of them should be grateful we ever bothered with the European Project for as long as we did, and should just give us the Rainbow Unicorn Brexit we want and deserve.

Legit my British answer to these people.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Help me out here.. I'm trying to explain the current shambles to my friends on another board, but I want to make sure that I get this right, because A) I'm a yank, and I don't have to live with this bullshit 24/7/365, so I may miss something, and B) My disdain for the Mayfly may color my viewpoint:

Basically, May has been playing "My Deal or No Deal", but Parliament has rejected it twice. The main problem is there's a majority to reject May's Deal, but there's no majority for an ACTUAL way forward (No Deal, Softer Brexit, Remain, etcetera)

May's tactic (and somewhat the EU) has been "This is the deal on offer. It's this or nothing", and she's been trying to run out the clock to make it literally THIS or nothing. She's refused to modify her stance, refused to countenance anything BUT her deal.

So Right now, the only thing that everyone in Parliament can agree on is that May sucks (her own party can't get rid of her because they tried once previously, and they can't try again for like a year, but they don't vote for no confidence because that would likely trigger a new election, and they prefer things as they are.

May tried to publicly pressure the MPs, trying to rile up the nation's Brexiteers, but it's backfired as May is now getting blamed for the threats people are making, and rather hardened the MP's stance that "gently caress no, we're not going to vote for your deal".

So, right now, here are the UK's options

1) May has said that she will bring the withdrawal agreement again to the Commons next week. If it goes through, a technical delay will be necessary because well, they can't put everything through Parliament in a week.

2) If it fails, then the UK has until the 12th of april to indicate how they're going to move forward (They will have to hold euro elections, for example). If they don't, then no-deal happens and the UK crashes and burns.

3) For all of the Parliament that wants the withdrawal agreement modified to suit their needs, this is "gently caress no, that ain't going to happen. Stop dreaming".

So options (in order of what I think is most likely to happen)

Long Delay: I consider this most likely, because no one really can figure out what would get through Parliament. Meaningful Vote 3 (Ie, the third attempt to pass May's deal) fails. Brexit continues for a year or so while everyone tries to untie this gordian knot. What the outcome would be afterwards is still unclear.

No Deal: There are enough hardcore Euroskeptics in Parliament that I honestly can't think of a deal that would get past the Euroskeptics AND the Remainers AND the Soft Brexiteers. The UK crashes out, and trade takes a major hit because all those trade agreements are no longer in force. (I think they have post-trade agreements with only two of the EU27 nations, and one if them is Lichenstein for god's sake). So trade no longer happens "normally", and all kinds of shenanigans are on the table.

Meaningful Vote 3 gets approved, and passes. This is a hail mary play by May, but it's really the only move they keep trying. In this case, the Withdrawal Agreement comes into effect, and trade between the rest of the EU and the UK goes through under its terms.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
LONDON (REUTERS) - Deutsche Bank on Thursday hiked its expectation of a no-deal Brexit to 20 percent - the highest level ever - from 10 percent as the third attempt to get UK parliamentary approval for the nation's exit from the European Union looms.

"The risks of a last-minute accident have increased," said Oliver Harvey, head of Brexit research at the German bank, adding that "government strategy appears to be being made off the hoof".

Deutsche Bank's new call on a no-deal Brexit came after JP Morgan also upped its chances of an exit without a deal to 15 percent from 10 percent. The deadline for an agreement on Brexit is next Friday.

Deutsche Bank cut its estimated chances of UK Prime Minister May winning the next parliamentary vote on her Brexit deal to 25 percent, from 35 percent previously.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

We've got two minutes until Brexit, I have the instinctual urge to dig a trench.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

JFairfax posted:

Oliver Harvey, head of Brexit research

Talk about a joke of a job

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

JFairfax posted:

LONDON (REUTERS) - Deutsche Bank on Thursday hiked its expectation of a no-deal Brexit to 20 percent - the highest level ever - from 10 percent as the third attempt to get UK parliamentary approval for the nation's exit from the European Union looms.

"The risks of a last-minute accident have increased," said Oliver Harvey, head of Brexit research at the German bank, adding that "government strategy appears to be being made off the hoof".

Deutsche Bank's new call on a no-deal Brexit came after JP Morgan also upped its chances of an exit without a deal to 15 percent from 10 percent. The deadline for an agreement on Brexit is next Friday.

Deutsche Bank cut its estimated chances of UK Prime Minister May winning the next parliamentary vote on her Brexit deal to 25 percent, from 35 percent previously.

I hate when allegedly serious news organisations can't tell the difference between risk, probability and chance.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The moon posts seem increasingly apropos

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Talk about a joke of a job

It's a practical joke

Qvark posted:

I hate when allegedly serious news organisations can't tell the difference between risk, probability and chance.

Mystic Meg should do countdown

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/nathestevens/status/1108071160254746625?s=21

Lmao did this get posted because it’s amazing, a Muslim refugee converts to Christianity saying it is a more peaceful religion than Islam and the home office case worker actually goes and digs up violent bits of the bible purely to cast doubt on the claim

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

"Checkmate, theists" - Sajid Javid, presumably.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/nathestevens/status/1108071160254746625?s=21

Lmao did this get posted because it’s amazing, a Muslim refugee converts to Christianity saying it is a more peaceful religion than Islam and the home office case worker actually goes and digs up violent bits of the bible purely to cast doubt on the claim

Give someone a horseshit quota like, "Decline 100 refugees requests a week, just get it done, don't bother me about the details" and this poo poo will happen.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SirFozzie posted:

Help me out here.. I'm trying to explain the current shambles to my friends on another board, but I want to make sure that I get this right, because A) I'm a yank, and I don't have to live with this bullshit 24/7/365, so I may miss something, and B) My disdain for the Mayfly may color my viewpoint:

The main problem is there's a majority to reject May's Deal, but there's no majority for an ACTUAL way forward (No Deal, Softer Brexit, Remain, etcetera)

It's worse than that: Parliament was never even given a chance to discuss, let alone vote, on any alternatives to May's Deal because May hijacked the whole process. Parliament probably would have agreed on a slightly softer Brexit deal months ago if she'd been willing to compromise even slightly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i remain confident that she's going to try to stall again and this will give the remainers the cover they need to get the kyle-wilson amendment through, which should trigger a further extension

the tory whip is broken, remember, prominent tory remainers may very well just decide to stick the knife in

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OwlFancier posted:

The thing I like about this is that you see the wealthy obviously should have absolute control of their wealth because they wouldn't have it if they weren't sound investors worthy of managing the products of our labour.

They are clearly more efficient at directing their wealth for good and progress than a government could ever be. I mean, why else would noted supergenius Bill Gates keep making that argument?

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do we feel about the People's Vote march on Saturday? I'm sort of conflicted about it, but maybe just want to do something?

Well I’m going, the one back in October was a lot of fun. I am aware it might not acomplish much on its own though.

If anything we end up going No Deal, at least I can say I tried to my children in 10 years time (I’ve done other things as well such canvassing for Labour multiple times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The one little bit of sympathy I do have for May is that however poo poo her deal is, Parliament have actually bottled it every single time they've had the opportunity to approve an alternative (voting that you'd prefer no-deal Brexit not to happen doesn't count).

Hopefully the EU's new line will concentrate some minds.