Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Excellent username post combo btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only couple on earth for whom Cheese Head has nothing to do with football

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My sister in law has a two year old and at around 18 months, my wife and I were at their house and saw her just give the toddler a bowl of shredded cheese. My mind was loving blown, as I had honestly never in my 30 years of life thought to eat shredded cheese on it’s own like that. Variations of “you can do that!?” we’re racing through my mind.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

CheesyDog posted:

My wife and I can't stop saying "poly cheese bag"

I really think the thread title should be ‘Polyamorous Cheese Bag’. If not, it would make a grate(!) username.

Mods?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

meanolmrcloud posted:

My sister in law has a two year old and at around 18 months, my wife and I were at their house and saw her just give the toddler a bowl of shredded cheese. My mind was loving blown, as I had honestly never in my 30 years of life thought to eat shredded cheese on it’s own like that. Variations of “you can do that!?” we’re racing through my mind.

Yeah if you're 2 yrs old and want to look like the Michelin man

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

FAUXTON posted:

She’s just getting over her Chris Farley phase, which is unfortunate for family pictures

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

How is shredded cheese nutritionally any different from cheese cubes?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Has anyone suggested that cheese guy buy his wife a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese?"

Might as well solve this terrible marriage in the same way that a lovely middle manager would.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DreamingofRoses posted:

Serving guidance and packaging?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DreamingofRoses posted:

Why the hell would you give anyone a bowl of cheese cubes

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

Serving guidance and packaging?

You’re right. Cheese cubes are much more dense and you’re more likely to eat over the normal serving size. (Compare 3 cheese cubes to half a cup of shredded cheese.)

Actually sticking your hands into the bag is gross though.

Biplane posted:

Why the hell would you give anyone a bowl of cheese cubes

Have you never had one of those protein packs?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Cheese should be served on a platter you heathen.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I let my kids make pizzas sometimes, and they're way more into eating the shredded cheese than actually putting it on the pizza.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Did one of them start eating cheese out of the bag and then the other was like “hey, that’s a great idea!”

Or is it that they both did it before they got together???

Ah, I think I've figured it out. The husband must have been the first to do it and now the wife is going to more and more extreme lengths to get him to stop.

Why else would you specifically go to a different fridge out of your way just to ruin someone else's cheese with your grubby poly fingers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Necros posted:

you can gently caress my wife but dont you dare touch my cheese

gently caress my wife, cheese

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
My [33M] traditional Chinese parents dislike my girlfriend's [27F] scars and don't want me to be with her.
u/creepsanyway

quote:

Hey, so pretty cultural situation here... Some background:

I was born in the states, so pretty lenient worldview, raised by traditional Chinese parents. Me and Wendy have been dating for 5 years and I would love to tie the knot. My parents knew I had a girlfriend and I planned on the big introduction and meet up with her at my parent's place. That happened yesterday.

Wendy has a scar on her face that encompasses a big part of her left cheek and eye. It was a result of a traumatic experience and it left some bumpy skin on her face and eye. She is beautiful and I never viewed it as a flaw. Wendy seemed nervous to meet my parents and told me she had a bad experience before where she wasn't accepted by an ex's parents.

Well, the day came and as soon as my parents took a glance at her, they gave me a look but invited her in. My mom pulled me aside and whispered "What's wrong with her face?" As rude as it sounds I'm used to this type of blunt language but it hurt to say the least since it's about Wendy. I told her that there's nothing wrong with her face and went off to the living room.

Since it was dinner time my mom went to prepare some food. Wendy tried to go to help out since she loves to cook but my mom shooed her away. When dinner came it was really quiet except them asking the occasional question to Wendy. After dinner and saying good byes Wendy went to the car first and my parents stopped me and said that Wendy's face is bad luck and I can't keep seeing her much less marry if I don't want to disgrace the family, what would our relatives say, etc.

In the car I told Wendy exactly what they said and she laughed about it but I could tell she was hurt. She said she expected it. Now I'm at a loss because yes family is really important to me and I care about them. I like to think I'm a pretty filial son, always support my parents, help them out. But now I don't know what to do. I love Wendy and want to marry her but I don't want to lose my parents either, I love them too. Their culture is just so different than the US that it's hard to explain sometimes.

TL;DR Parents don't like my girlfriend's scars, don't want to lose my parents, but also don't want to lose my girlfriend. How can I come to a solution or compromise?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DreamingofRoses posted:

You’re right. Cheese cubes are much more dense and you’re more likely to eat over the normal serving size. (Compare 3 cheese cubes to half a cup of shredded cheese.)

Nobody is packing cheese cubes like Tetris you nimrod

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I dunno man, that sounds like a UTI waiting to happen

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

Nobody is packing cheese cubes like Tetris you nimrod

No, they’re eating them by the handful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DreamingofRoses posted:

No, they’re eating them by the handful.

What's that, like, a cube at a time for a toddler?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Lol, Cheesegrate is the best saga this thread has seen in months.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

DreamingofRoses posted:

My [33M] traditional Chinese parents dislike my girlfriend's [27F] scars and don't want me to be with her.
u/creepsanyway

gently caress that, whatever it is she survived it, that's good luck.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DreamingofRoses posted:

u/creepsanyway

“I don’t know what to do” what a loving spineless excuse of a human.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lol, Cheesegrate is the best saga this thread has seen in months.

Thread title needs to change to a cheese joke.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

u/creepsanyway

Just cut her lose man. People like this are never ever going to go against their parents and this poor lady doesn’t deserve having to be around this awful family.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

“I don’t know what to do” what a loving spineless excuse of a human.

Agreed- i know that there’s a stereotype that millennials are too willing to cut out family for silly reasons, but this is a pretty clear cut case of “tell your parents it’s happening, and if they don’t like it they can go gently caress themselves”

You do not have to put up with piece of poo poo parents just because they are your parents. He seems to be very involved with his family, so maybe have a few discussions and try to work on things first, but if it comes down to an ultimatum, burn em.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I've eaten shredded cheese from a bag but only out of desperation when megaspace high and nothing else to eat. I also ate hamburger and rice my sister made for the dog and it was like half gone before I noticed it had no seasoning to give you an idea of how bad I get the munchies.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Comments seem to be arguing a lot over whether he should have asked first since the military has their own etiquette over these things and it's usually considered presumptuous to wear your military formals to a civilian wedding without permission (can be getting a bit 'thank me for my service' and all, or in the worst cases upstaging the bride/groom in the same way as a guest wearing white), but it's still probably an overreaction given Marines formalwear is apparently quite nice and as said, chances are it's the nicest clothes he owns.

gently caress that noise, don't let fascists wear their uniform to your wedding

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Agreed- i know that there’s a stereotype that millennials are too willing to cut out family for silly reasons, but this is a pretty clear cut case of “tell your parents it’s happening, and if they don’t like it they can go gently caress themselves”

You do not have to put up with piece of poo poo parents just because they are your parents. He seems to be very involved with his family, so maybe have a few discussions and try to work on things first, but if it comes down to an ultimatum, burn em.

If it's the typical dynamic he's more than just involved, he's financially supporting them at least in part. One would think that's the bat to bludgeon them with.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

areyoucontagious posted:

and if there's any type of parent one should cut out of their life it's traditional chinese parents (TCP)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JFairfax posted:

gently caress that noise, don't let fascists wear their uniform to your wedding

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ouhei posted:

The trope of men being so loving clueless when it comes to basic chores is one of the worst. It's also incredibly ironic when you pair it with the trope of men are supposed to be handy and capable of being able to handle anything.

"Rebuild a car motor? Sure thing I can do that no problem."
"Durrrr how does laundry work?"

It's hosed up so many men.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. True story: I asked my mother to teach me how to cook, clean, iron, and sew so that I wouldn't have to get married. Yes, 10-year-old me thought that the only reason you got married was so you had someone to do those things for you.

Knowing how to do those things myself has made my wife very happy.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

DreamingofRoses posted:

u/creepsanyway

Tfw you dress up being trash as "culture"

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

My mind was loving blown, as I had honestly never in my 30 years of life thought to eat shredded cheese on it’s own like that. Variations of “you can do that!?” we’re racing through my mind.

what the gently caress dude

is it never 3am for you

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

You most certainly did not include "midcentury" in your search when you're pulling up those results, simply baking cheese directly into a nice loaf of bread was way beyond the imagination of anyone who was an adult as late as the 1970s; people in those days were obsessed with mayo, gelatin, and cheese that comes out of a tube. Is that loving garlic in one of those pictures? Yeah, no, sorry, this is midcentury America we don't do garlic, take that foreigner poo poo back to whatever exotic country you're from, sir

Here's something more representative of that era:

Doesn't that just look so appetizing :barf:

They apparently called this a type of "sandwich", imagine going over to someone's house and being told that they're giving you a sandwich and then this bullshit comes out:

Another tell that those aren't midcentury is that there's actual bread in the picture instead of horrid bullshit wonderbread. I've actually made one of those pullapart bread things - you get a boule/loaf from the grocery store, carve a grid into it with a bread knife, stuff it with melting cheese, garlic, herbs, whatever you want, then heat it until the cheese melts. It's a decent lazy appitizer/finger food.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Clark Nova posted:

Another tell that those aren't midcentury is that there's actual bread in the picture instead of horrid bullshit wonderbread.

I tracked down the recipe -

VintageRecipeCards.com posted:

4 hard-cooked eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped pimento
Salt and pepper
1-pound can salmon, drained
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely minced scallions
2 tablespoons finely minced celery
2 pounds cream cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
Small can chopped ripe olives, drained
1 tablespoon finely minced onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1 1/4-pound loaf white bread, crusts removed and cut horizontally into five layers.

:barf:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DreamingofRoses posted:

u/creepsanyway

:killing:

seriously, kill your parents

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

PM_ME_UR_NETFLIX_REC
15 hours ago

If she bobbers your knobber you can take the slobber

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

All I can picture is these two people with 64oz bags of shredded colby jack cheese shoving their hands in them and then stuffing them in their face and it makes me kind of nauseous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

meanolmrcloud posted:

When I was a kid a friend's dad introduced me to coffee cheese.

You take the sharpest cheddar you can find, and drop a small block of it in some hot black coffee. Then, when it's gooey, you fish it out with a fork and eat it.

It is the oddest, most bitter, flavor ever. And I'll be damned if it wasn't pretty good.