Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

McGillis is a broken child who never grew up and still believes in fairy tale knights who're going to swoop in and save the entire world, him included. It's why his genius plan revolves entirely around "I got in the robot so now you have to obey me!"

I have problems with McGillis but I really do enjoy that his plot basically ends up not being a genius just as planned masterstroke but a guy who ends up buying into bullshit fantasy tropes and then running into a guy who is perfectly glad to pull the mecha equivalent of Indiana Jones shooting the sword guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Either the english dub downplayed the child rape or they mentioned it while I was distracted, then. Because I did watch Season 2 not too long ago.

It does give a bit more 'umph' to McGillis' hero worship of the Bael and his desire to see Gjallarhorn torn down to the foundation.

It's a like, ten second shot of Iznario lying naked in bed, and naked kid McGillis sitting at the foot with bruising on his back/neck. About six minutes into episode 43.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm watching 0083 again after two years and i guess all the bad stuff is at the end or something because the first four episodes have been enjoyable and kinda funny

also jesus christ these blurays are beautiful

e: forgot to mention monsha sucks. monsha sucks. his blonde friend also sucks. mustache guy who pilots the new guncannon owns but he pilots a guncannon so duh.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Relax, take a deep breath and remember they were all murdered by a random Kamille blow-up on his Zeta.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
0083's fights are fine. Kou and Gato weren't bad. Gato in particular can chew scenery like a boss.... but Nina is like, the worst.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Monsha is literally the worst Gundam character ever and I take pleasure in Kamille slaughtering him.

I've finally got back to Victory since I got the DVD set and Chronicle is...disappointing. Katejina, however, is probably one of my fave insane Gundam characters. I'm only up to episode 8 though so I expect my opinion to change. My girlfriend remains whole hog on the Katejina is right train.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Katejina is hosed up in the head and war just exacerbates her problem. Monsha is terrible but Kyo from AGE, Space Jesus Kira Yamato, Nena Trinity from 00 and Beecha Oleg from ZZ aren't far off in the worst-ever slot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nena Trinity is terrible but the show never once tries to pretend that she is not terrible, which paradoxically earns her points in favour.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

No that's Ali Sacheez's card, you only get one of those per series, sorry Nena you got left out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Nena Trinity is terrible but the show never once tries to pretend that she is not terrible, which paradoxically earns her points in favour.

The Trinities do get kind of a raw deal, though. Like yeah they're not good people, but they're also designed to be sacrifices in the grand plan. Awful people can still be victims.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Welcome to IBO. Say what you will about other Gundam, it has the highest warcrime density of the franchise. Sex slaves, chattel slavery, child soldiers, targeting non-combatants, false-flag operations, genocide robots, this one has it ALL.

It's another of IBO's "Libya is a land of contrasts" bits, I think. In the same way as it's the setting with the most impressive tech justifying people beating each other to death with massive slabs of metal, IBO's not in the middle of an apocalyptic war... but that frees it up to focus more on all the small scale misery and harm.

You didn't even mention the crippling back alley surgeries!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kurieg posted:

Ironically the massive orbital dainslief bombardment in the last episode probably should have been more destructive than pictured in the show.

My understanding of hyper-velocity impactors of that style is that because their shape is streamlined in to giving them maximum terminal velocity and because all their kinetic energy is concentrated "down", the majority of their force when they hit something they can penetrate is concentrated on driving down in to it. They hit deep, not wide. As in, they'd probably drive down for dozens or even hundreds of meters but they won't produce any kind of major explosion or even a big blast wave, because all their energy is pointed down, not out. Unless they hit something they can't penetrate, at which point there'll be a loving huge explosion since the kinetic energy has no way to go down and instead just spreads outward in a massive blast.

I know that older material from when the US first came up with the concept tends to paint the result as huge explosions, but as far as I know, newer research in to the topic has redrawn the general concept of what would actually happen.

That, along with how restrained the actual damage from orbital bombardment does however make me wonder about the gently caress happened to the Moon in Post Disaster. Even if they started packing nuclear tipped warheads on the dainsleifs they were firing at one point, they really shouldn't be capable of anything close to that level of damage.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Ka0 posted:

The way IBO reflects on how hosed up real world is, specifically to people in position of absolute power over the masses; this is why it should be in your favorite series next to Zeta, 0080, Turn A and 00

Yeah I don't see it brought up often but there was an entire storyline arc where a worker's union agitated peacefully for improved conditions and the ruling elite staged a false flag attack to justify massacring the protestors, and THEN it turns out the elites supplied faulty weapons to radicalize and entrap the working class FBI-style and apparently this cycle is just a routine.

IBO is good dialectic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The SD Gjallarhorn MS combine into a giant monstrous Graze Ein

https://twitter.com/yatate_hajime/status/1109062167427514373

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

The SD Gjallarhorn MS combine into a giant monstrous Graze Ein

https://twitter.com/yatate_hajime/status/1109062167427514373

That thing is either an Ultimate or Mega-Level Digimon.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

That's perfect then, the Barbatos Lupus Rex is a digimon!

e: I rewatched all of Build Divers and I didn't hate it as much.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 22, 2019

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Ka0 posted:

Katejina is hosed up in the head and war just exacerbates her problem. Monsha is terrible but Kyo from AGE, Space Jesus Kira Yamato, Nena Trinity from 00 and Beecha Oleg from ZZ aren't far off in the worst-ever slot.

One of the most important plots points in 00, the turning point for Saji and Louise, comes from Nena shooting up a wedding party because she was bored. So since she's obviously the worst person, it becomes an interesting discussion of semantics to figure out if she's also the worst character.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

That, along with how restrained the actual damage from orbital bombardment does however make me wonder about the gently caress happened to the Moon in Post Disaster. Even if they started packing nuclear tipped warheads on the dainsleifs they were firing at one point, they really shouldn't be capable of anything close to that level of damage.

Makes you wonder what was on the moon that they hit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sassassin posted:

Makes you wonder what was on the moon that they hit.

Maybe the Ahab reactors in Mobile Armors? When those things get damaged, gravity gets... odd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Could have been a slower process. Maybe a bunch of Mobile Armours turned it into a giant Pluma factory.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wait what was up with the moon in IBO? I dont remember anthing being mentioned about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Wait what was up with the moon in IBO? I dont remember anthing being mentioned about it.

They mention late in the first season that they have difficulty seeing it from Earth due to damage inflicted in the first war.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dogsicle posted:

i'm watching 0083 again after two years and i guess all the bad stuff is at the end or something because the first four episodes have been enjoyable and kinda funny

also jesus christ these blurays are beautiful

e: forgot to mention monsha sucks. monsha sucks. his blonde friend also sucks. mustache guy who pilots the new guncannon owns but he pilots a guncannon so duh.
i'm watching 0083 right now for the first time since I had the VHS tapes. the blurays look SO good. also i'm on ep9 and it isn't a stinker yet

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

i'm watching 0083 right now for the first time since I had the VHS tapes. the blurays look SO good. also i'm on ep9 and it isn't a stinker yet

ep5 is leaving a bad taste in my mouth and i'm kinda pessimistic about the rest. offscreen nina has shifted completely into a gushing not-girlfriend for kou and we get a shower scene that mostly proves she has better chemistry with mora than anyone else, before kou being the dumb teen he is results in a load of melodrama. if this was either a little less intense or there had been actual time to establish the relationship between kou and nina, it might go over better but i'm here kinda rolling my eyes at what feels like gundam dipping into the pool of sexist writing it's pretty familiar with by now.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Miki never said the burning love was supposed to be a good thing

e: drat, Lucette in ep 11 is 0083's besto garl. wish they had time to flesh her out some more. always nice to see a competent and clever quasi-love interest in my robot animes.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 23, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

New update on the IBO spinoff.

Seems we're getting an ex-Gjallarhorn killer-for-hire as an antagonist. Might be wrong, but it looks like a more straightforward conflict than lategame IBO.

I like the shotgun, though. Not-Tallgeese looks ready for a long fight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
A shotgun actually makes a surprising amount of sense as an MS weapon in IBO

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, you just know that thing is going to make some big chunky holes :stonklol:.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, you just know that thing is going to make some big chunky holes :stonklol:.

Honestly I was thinking more that it probably wouldn't do much direct damage, but it would probably be good for damaging sensors, potentially jamming up joints with the buckshot, and perhaps most importantly the impact from the shot would probably knock many suits on their asses leaving them vulnerable to the weapons that will do the real damage(though a direct close range shot to the cockpit would probably be lethal)

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

dogsicle posted:

ep5 is leaving a bad taste in my mouth and i'm kinda pessimistic about the rest. offscreen nina has shifted completely into a gushing not-girlfriend for kou and we get a shower scene that mostly proves she has better chemistry with mora than anyone else, before kou being the dumb teen he is results in a load of melodrama. if this was either a little less intense or there had been actual time to establish the relationship between kou and nina, it might go over better but i'm here kinda rolling my eyes at what feels like gundam dipping into the pool of sexist writing it's pretty familiar with by now.

That it Mora's secret superpower. She might be one of the best friends to have in all of Gundam.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

She's best mechanic tag-team alongside Astonaige.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

She's best mechanic tag-team alongside Astonaige.

The mechanics in IBO were solid, I thought. On Tekkadan's side, you had the softspoken kid with a crush on one of the pilots, one of the few non rear end in a top hat adults, and a guy who was way excited about old mobile suits. Meanwhile, Gjallarhorn had Yamazin, who was petty much purestrain mad scientist.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

drrockso20 posted:

The Astaroth Origin had a combat shotgun as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Solkanar512 posted:

The Astaroth Origin had a combat shotgun as well.

Hyruken has one too.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

What's your favorite in-series battle music. I'm going to cast my double vote to 00's "intervention" and Zeta gundam's MS battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVG-fyMkNU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Allied Force from Build Fighters is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd46nIoKJq8

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

00's instrumental is in general really good, it was done by Kenji Kawai who I was real into from things like Vampire Princess Miyu

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Ka0 posted:

What's your favorite in-series battle music. I'm going to cast my double vote to 00's "intervention" and Zeta gundam's MS battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVG-fyMkNU

Intervention is solid, but I have to give a shout-out to Wing's The Wings of A Boy That Killed Adolescence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWz2BWGxqMI

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beyond Fate is easily one of the highlights of Gundam Age and it's probably singlehandedly responsible for Asemu Asuno's relative popularity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FuWZeE_N6Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Red Comet of Loum remix of the Origin theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCv1iy0pkc
Take an already excellent theme, speed it up by 25% and add some angry electric guitar riffs to the mix.

Battle from IBO reminds me of Code Geass. That show might drive me insane but the music was on point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1zJKECM_0s

And Mobile Suit from Unicorn. Sawano layers his songs to a ridiculous degree and it can obscure the main melody, but here it comes through in spades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYk-lmysEc