Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

The Maquis are loving yuppies and I hope they burn in hellthe fire caves

And they have really lovely fashion sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Voyager's last episode would have been better with an additional 20 minutes of epilogue

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

One of the few times is agree with Pick is that the Maquis are loving terrible and I think it would have been best for Sisko to 'poison' all the Maquis planets instead of just one, ironically it would have saved a ton of lives.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

The root is really that the maquis are dipshit people

The Virgin Maquis idiot - "There is inherent nobility in playing subsistence farmer in the post-scarcity future where you can order literally any food you want any time you want! It build character! Look at these tomatoes!"

The Chad Federation citizen - *goes into holodeck and boots up Farmer_Simulator_2419* "Ayyy, look at me, developing character over here!" *orders steak and lobster from replicator* "This is awesome!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

The Virgin Maquis idiot - "There is inherent nobility in playing subsistence farmer in the post-scarcity future where you can order literally any food you want any time you want! It build character! Look at these tomatoes!"

The Chad Federation citizen - *goes into holodeck and boots up Farmer_Simulator_2419* "Ayyy, look at me, developing character over here!" *orders steak and lobster from replicator**doesn't incite war with a neighboring civilization which is explicitly not post-scarcity* "This is awesome!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The virgin cardassians: Our governments mutually agreed to a treaty and we will honor it.

The chad federation: haha like, can you even own a planet???

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Angry Lobster posted:

Citizenship since antiquity has always been essential for two things, paying taxes and military drafting, I doubt both of those are very relevant to the Federation though.

There's also always been a third group: benefits of membership.

In Rome, for instance, you couldn't marry a Roman citizen if you were not one yourself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey, has anybody posted the dude who used a machine learning AI to upscale some DS9 poo poo to 4K? Because it's absolutely insane.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hey, has anybody posted the dude who used a machine learning AI to upscale some DS9 poo poo to 4K? Because it's absolutely insane.

I haven't seen it, post it!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Last post on page 1349

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A recap, then:

A random dude used his mid-range PC and $100 machine-learning software to upscale a 5-minute clip from DS9 to 1080, and the opening to 4K. It looks incredible, especially considering it's done with consumer-level hardware and software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPSttIolmBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInQkqmjn48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49oj2JUtn0A

https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/03/remastering-star-trek-deep-space-nine.html

e: the icing on the cake, IMO, is that most noticeable differences are in the CGI stuff, which is exactly the stuff that's theoretically holding them back from remastering the whole series, IIRC.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 23, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I appreciate the deep cut :glomp:

have you submitted to our lord and savior mama Burnham yet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The biggest thing holding back the remaster of ds9 is that paramount hates it and wants everyone to forget that it happened, because paramount doesn't like that there's a challenging star trek that did interesting things with the property

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A recap, then:

A random dude used his mid-range PC and $100 machine-learning software to upscale a 5-minute clip from DS9 to 1080, and the opening to 4K. It looks incredible, especially considering it's done with consumer-level hardware and software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPSttIolmBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInQkqmjn48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49oj2JUtn0A

https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/03/remastering-star-trek-deep-space-nine.html

e: the icing on the cake, IMO, is that most noticeable differences are in the CGI stuff, which is exactly the stuff that's theoretically holding them back from remastering the whole series, IIRC.

I've got to admit I can barely tell the difference on my TV

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It looks incredible, especially considering it's done with consumer-level hardware and software:

It definitely looks.... very slightly better and crisper, but it's definitely not the big leap everyone's treating it as.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can see a pretty significant difference :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drone posted:

It definitely looks.... very slightly better and crisper, but it's definitely not the big leap everyone's treating it as.
I think the big leap is that this rear end in a top hat did it on his gamer rig with a hundred dollars worth of software, so what's the hold up, Paramount?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nessus posted:

I think the big leap is that this rear end in a top hat did it on his gamer rig with a hundred dollars worth of software, so what's the hold up, Paramount?

Paramount/CBS/whoever isn’t Criterion or Janus Films; they aren’t going to remaster anything that isn’t guaranteed to make a huge profit, much less a giant 7-season show with tons of CG that would have to be redone from the ground up. Couple that with how they bungled the TNG HD project by a) pricing the blu-ray sets well above acceptable MSRP and b) immediately putting the new remaster on Netflix, completely gutting the potential market for the blu sets in the process. They’ll never do another project like it again because they’re convinced the reason no one bought the sets was lack of interest. The only reason we got an Enterprise blu release is because the series had already been shot with HD in mind and the release was quick and easy.

If DS9 is ever going to have something resembling a remaster it’ll have to come from guys like that, grinding away at 5-minute clips on their home PCs one at a time.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

The VFX shots are the most noticeably cleaner. I think it's really sad that both this show and B5 are more likely to see fan project HD remasters before they get any official love from their owners.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The machine learning thing is cool, I think I would basically say it takes the scenes from muddy/blurry to watchable. Like it's not quite HD but it looks how it looks in my memory, rather than the artifacted mess that the DVD versions (occasionally) look like. It's more like removing a layer of dust than bringing out details you could never see.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if a service like Netflix or Amazon would have the right to do this to their SD shows, the same way a classics game collection might apply automatic upscaling and filtering.

Because you know there are people who would watch Full House HD

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

jeeves posted:

I always wonder how quickly those stubborn space Indians Native Americans got wiped out by the Cardassians after they accepted their governance.

Especially since they lost their best weed dude because he was secretly the Traveler.

I really don't know why I used the 'I' word rather than NA, which I use to refer to American...Native Americans (which is a bit out atypical for me in the first place, since I use First Nations when talking about Canadian tribe members which is most of the time) pretty much all the time, but I was tired, and I remembered making a mental exception in this case for some reason because 'something something American Indian Movement'.

I also remembering thinking 'I should just use Native American, somebody will say something', but just posting anyway. Ah, well.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seems weird to call someone a native american centuries in the future and also they live on another planet now. Is that what they called them in that episode?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's like calling a black British dude "African-American."

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Was Chakotay's ethnicity ever clear? I kind of remember one episode about him being Mayan or something vaguely Mesoamerican, but the show was so fuckin bad at characterizing him that I also remember North American indigenous stuff, and Hispanic stuff in equal parts. They would just chuck some pseudomysticism into his.dialogue and have *~flutes~* in the soundtrack.

It was consistently one of the most excruciating parts of a show basically made of excruciating parts.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
*puts up giant bumpers around the thread*

So, how about that Star Trek, huh? Personally, I'm a fan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Railing Kill posted:

Was Chakotay's ethnicity ever clear? I kind of remember one episode about him being Mayan or something vaguely Mesoamerican, but the show was so fuckin bad at characterizing him that I also remember North American indigenous stuff, and Hispanic stuff in equal parts. They would just chuck some pseudomysticism into his.dialogue and have *~flutes~* in the soundtrack.

It was consistently one of the most excruciating parts of a show basically made of excruciating parts.

Everything about Chakotay's supposed Native American background turned out to be the inventions of a charlatan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Railing Kill posted:

hes descended from the nebulously Mesoamerican “rubber tree people” but it’s all a big loving joke. Ghost Leviathan’s post is literally true, they put no deeper thought into it than “generic Indian they’re all alike am I right???” and outsourced all the details to a loving fraud.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
He was originally supposed to be Mayan, though - at least in so far as anyone on the writing staff was aware that he was supposed to have any sort of ethnic background more specific than 'indigenous'.

Still more effort than they put into Kim!

(And, btw, my understanding is Indian is actually preferred over Native American by most indigenous Americans - though, of course, specific tribal/national identification is even better...)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mayan would have been neat. A thing I like about Trek is the cultures ground down by imperialism are at last reviving themselves in the infinite freedom of the stars. That's good poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Angry Salami posted:

Kim's from South Carolina, though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

He was originally supposed to be Mayan, though - at least in so far as anyone on the writing staff was aware that he was supposed to have any sort of ethnic background more specific than 'indigenous'.

(And, btw, my understanding is Indian is actually preferred over Native American by most indigenous Americans - though, of course, specific tribal/national identification is even better...)

I've heard that as well--that or "American Indian" or just straight up tribe -Cherokee, Mohegan, etc. Not sure how it is for indigenous Canadians though.

I think having Chakotay being Mayan would have been even more interesting. As poorly/sparsely represented as American Indians are on screen, you never see much about Mayan culture.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Astroman posted:

I've heard that as well--that or "American Indian" or just straight up tribe -Cherokee, Mohegan, etc. Not sure how it is for indigenous Canadians though.

I think having Chakotay being Mayan would have been even more interesting. As poorly/sparsely represented as American Indians are on screen, you never see much about Mayan culture.

Even if he had been specifically Mayan, I can almost guarantee that no Mayan culture would have been seen on Voyager.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think people generally assume that the Maya ceased to exist after the Classic collapse in the 900s, so there aren't any Maya around. Popular culture does sort of treat them as a vanished group.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's weird since there's still an entire country that's like 90% Mayan. They have to be one of the largest extant indigenous American peoples.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Once Upon a Time" (S05E05) is a much better VOY episode than I might've expected it to be, given the record Star Trek has with kids, e.g. Alexander and "Little Rascals". Some of the setup scenes drag on, as in "something something ion storm", but I liked the scenes with the children's holodeck program series and Neelix's taking out his "class envy" of Star Trek's post-scarcity on Janeway

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Astroman posted:

Canadian tribal members generally prefer "First Nations", like I mentioned in my other post. Or, of course, in the case of one specific ethnic group, "Metis", who are descended from First Nations and European multiracial ancestors.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Mayans were wiped out in World War III, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Paramount/CBS/whoever isn’t Criterion or Janus Films; they aren’t going to remaster anything that isn’t guaranteed to make a huge profit, much less a giant 7-season show with tons of CG that would have to be redone from the ground up. Couple that with how they bungled the TNG HD project by a) pricing the blu-ray sets well above acceptable MSRP and b) immediately putting the new remaster on Netflix, completely gutting the potential market for the blu sets in the process. They’ll never do another project like it again because they’re convinced the reason no one bought the sets was lack of interest. The only reason we got an Enterprise blu release is because the series had already been shot with HD in mind and the release was quick and easy.

If DS9 is ever going to have something resembling a remaster it’ll have to come from guys like that, grinding away at 5-minute clips on their home PCs one at a time.

This is what I thought until I found out CBS are remastering MacGyver (yes, I am aware DS9 has notably more effects shots), so at least they're trying again on a smaller scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98QuX27PVak