Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm looking forward to having a decent amount of picks this time round.

Last year I was the Texans, so no first or second rounders. I picked up Ian Thomas and Donte Jackson. Thomas took a while to get going but finished strong. Jackson seems to have got off to a good start.
They were both picked by the Panthers.

My third pick was going to be Raheem Green. I decided to go for BPA, rather than address the Texans most obvious need, since I saw no starter calibre OL available in the third round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wandler20 posted:

That's a good time. If no one else wants to run it I can.

Edit: Here is the pick thread from last year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852342
Here is the sign up thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851929

Do it wandler!

I'll take Atlanta.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

weird Asian candy posted:

Do it wandler!

I'll take Atlanta.

I'd rather ShakeZula do it but if he doesn't want to I'll give it a go.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wandler20 posted:

I don't blame you. Running things sucks lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu08P-dh8gY

Little video review of Haskins. Guy's got some good points, especially the lack of wrist whip which results in a weak spiral and throws going wild when his footwork isn't on point (usually he's got very good footwork but sometimes it's impossible to take the time to point your feet before you throw).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu08P-dh8gY

Little video review of Haskins. Guy's got some good points, especially the lack of wrist whip which results in a weak spiral and throws going wild when his footwork isn't on point (usually he's got very good footwork but sometimes it's impossible to take the time to point your feet before you throw).

Pretty much agree with everything he says. I love Haskins but his throwing motion is almost as janky as Lock's. He's right about the offense too. Day turned that offense into one that leans into screens after all the LBs clear out chasing the crossing routes. He has the ability to throw all over the field but he's not sure where it's going to end up sometimes because of the route and the coverage. You see it in bad QBs. I know that sounds obvious but that nuance between sort of knowing where your WR is going to be and how fast the DB is going to close in to that spot is what separates starters from backups in the NFL. You either learn that nuance or you bust.

So basically Haskins has a huge arm but he's a big project both on his form and that super important timing nuance.

Also this guy is really good. I'm watching his other videos and he's got sound logic and explanations for his analysis.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
i got Cleveland.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

wandler20 posted:

I'm happy to do it again, but I'll admit I was a little gunshy after how last year kind of imploded. But hey, if you guys are game I'll start putting the thread together for sign-ups. I think we usually start around April 1st, right?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

last season the thread was started mid march-ish and our draft started like, the last week of march? somewhere around that

basically whenever I guess

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

ShakeZula posted:

I'm happy to do it again, but I'll admit I was a little gunshy after how last year kind of imploded. But hey, if you guys are game I'll start putting the thread together for sign-ups. I think we usually start around April 1st, right?

Definitely compared to how smoothly 2017 went.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'll put up the thread for claiming teams sometime this week, definitely by Saturday.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I would be down to do the Jets, if we're calling teams :)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Pretty much agree with everything he says. I love Haskins but his throwing motion is almost as janky as Lock's. He's right about the offense too. Day turned that offense into one that leans into screens after all the LBs clear out chasing the crossing routes. He has the ability to throw all over the field but he's not sure where it's going to end up sometimes because of the route and the coverage. You see it in bad QBs. I know that sounds obvious but that nuance between sort of knowing where your WR is going to be and how fast the DB is going to close in to that spot is what separates starters from backups in the NFL. You either learn that nuance or you bust.

So basically Haskins has a huge arm but he's a big project both on his form and that super important timing nuance.

Also this guy is really good. I'm watching his other videos and he's got sound logic and explanations for his analysis.

I think a lot of this is coming from him being a one year starter. He is something of a project quarterback (although much less of a project than, say, Josh Allen). There's nothing that can't be fixed with effort but there is some risk there for whatever team takes him.

And yeah that guy is really good. For something called "Strong Opinion Sports" there's a lot of well-though-out and backed up arguments and very little baseless hot takes. He likes Kyler Murray as the top guy this year

e: I want to do the Rams again unless a really fervent fan objects

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dwayne Haskins pro day. Not sure if I really learned anything from this. He threw the ball well under these conditions but that's basically assumed at this point. I like that they had him make some throws on the move, but they should've done a bit more of that imo. Overall a totally decent pro day that if anything improves his standing but probably doesn't change a lot when it comes to the big picture. I liked Kyler's a little bit better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAMCN7NdblM

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Weird hitch in his hip on those warmup throws. He doesn't do it when he's in motion during the route trees. Way off on his deep ball accuracy too. His short game is awesome though that ball gets there so quick with great placement. He goes a little long on those throws though. Not a quick release at all when he's hitting sideline routes. Very quick release when he's throwing down the middle. I don't think he trusts his sideline accuracy. He looked absolutely gassed at the end of the workout. Looked like the redzone throws were a lot slower and weaker. Also he looks fatter? Did he put on weight for the combine too?

Parris Campbell looked really bad getting in and out of his cuts. Straight fell down on the sail route they were running and hurt himself.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Parris Campbell looked really bad getting in and out of his cuts. Straight fell down on the sail route they were running and hurt himself.

I saw that. Disappointing because he would clearly be best in the slot but his breaks looked really slow

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Jared Cook is a great get for the Saints

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Jared Cook is a great get for the Saints

It took 10 years but the Jared Cook is Actually Good truthers might finally have their moment in the sun between last year and the next.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Alright, the Goon Draft thread is live: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885130

I'll go ahead and add people who claimed teams in this thread, just post if you've since changed your mind.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Thanks for doing this ShakeZula!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

He looked absolutely gassed at the end of the workout.

He looked gassed about a third of the way in! I was really surprised by that. Maybe it was really hot on that field but I remember Baker's pro day he was basically running and throwing, running and throwing up and down the entire field without pause. This wasn't even that aggressive of a workout and he still looked pretty wrecked, which surprised me.

Ditto thanks man

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Double this since I'm off the hook now.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Triple ditto.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Last Chance U star putting in work!

https://twitter.com/DraftDiamonds/status/1108796789963005953?s=19

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

No worries guys, I genuinely love running this thing. It gives me a productive outlet for my draft nerdery besides just doing Fanspeak mocks all day.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hey I remember him. Seemed like a nice kid

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There are too many d-linemen in this draft. How am I supposed to care about, like, Rashan Gary or Clelin Ferrell?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

There are too many d-linemen in this draft. How am I supposed to care about, like, Rashan Gary or Clelin Ferrell?

There isnt ever enough good Dlinemen to draft.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

pasaluki posted:

This.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thanks Shake.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

pasaluki posted:

This, except OLineman.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Someone should grab a bunch of tall late round pick D tackles and non-edge ends and let them know they'd probably each make 10x as much if they just spent a few months converting to being guards / tackles.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kalli posted:

Someone should grab a bunch of tall late round pick D tackles and non-edge ends and let them know they'd probably each make 10x as much if they just spent a few months converting to being guards / tackles.

Are you Tom Cable

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

DariusLikewise posted:

Are you Tom Cable

He's JR Sweezy's ghost account

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

"Now, your daily caloric intake is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 . . . "

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

"Now, your daily caloric intake is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 . . . "

They're already 300 lbs and eating absurd calories already they just gotta bulk up a little bit more (or less in the case of nose tackles), and almost every OL was converted from other positions already, just when they're younger.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

They're already 300 lbs and eating absurd calories already they just gotta bulk up a little bit more (or less in the case of nose tackles), and almost every OL was converted from other positions already, just when they're younger.

The average O lineman has about 20 pounds on the average defensive tackle. What seems more important to me though is body type. O linemen carry a lot more weight in their midsection and generally have a stouter body type. A DT might be 280 lbs with very little fat, whereas a lineman might be 320 lbs with quite a bit of that in fat.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just kind of exploring the idea.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
What if they had reverse liposuction to put fat into their thighs and calves to lower their center of gravity

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That sounds complicated, just draft former basketball players instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mega64 posted:

That sounds complicated, just draft former basketball players instead.

Leave Antonio Gates alone