Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Nah it’s cabezon, rockfish and eel (of some sort, in CA we got monkey head).

I’ll make some copies of “instructions” on how to make a poke pole so you don’t try to reinvent the wheel. It’s a good thing to have to try alternatives when line and sinker are not being productive.

I got a sturdy length of bamboo which is a bit over 6'. Some instructions said 4-5' length, others said 8'-12'. I need something that will fit in my car, so I'm leaning toward 5'-ish if I can get away with it. I don't have any wire hangers to make a loop for the business end, but I got a 1/8" brass rod for that. I'm going to wrap it to the bamboo with wire or twine, probably bound with some wood glue. I have some 30lb test mono that I was going to use for a leader and then bring some hooks in the #2 - 2/0 range. Am I far off?

Also can delay until Sunday if you can for sure go that day, otherwise we're looking at Saturday since conditions look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You are on the dot and I’m 100% available for Sunday only but my wife already said ok.

If clamming is Saturday then oh well can’t go stupid mandatory overtime.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Also shorter is better. Never did a pole longer than 6’.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

There's digs both Saturday and Sunday on twin harbors beach!! Sunday low tide is 4:43 pm

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oh hell yes, Sunday it is! :woop: :coolfish:

Any other WA goons want to meet us out there? It's supposed to be a stupid nice day.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I got a 400 sized baitcaster for beeg feesh, lol, it's so huge.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Take off that double crank and get single nob. So much better.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Take off that double crank and get single nob. So much better.

I've read that the handle from the Cortez is an awesome option! Definitely on my list. Tackle Warehouse had the Komodos for 25% off, was pretty stoked on that deal.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I don't have any decent fish to post, but I had a nice day on the water beating the poo poo out of a bag full of fish heads and old bait with the back of my gaff in the hope of bringing in a shark.

No sharks made an appearance and all I caught were a couple of small garfish which were vac sealed and frozen for bait on some other trip. The burley (I think you seppos call it chum) attracted some baitfish which spent a few hours chilling under the yak and feasting on all the poo poo shaking loose from the bag.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Similar results of no fish, but that’s life. called some guys over to play with my Johnson

No fish from our trip, but it ran like a top all day.

Top speed of 18km/h with the current and 12km/h against.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sockington posted:

Similar results of no fish, but that’s life. called some guys over to play with my Johnson

No fish from our trip, but it ran like a top all day.

Top speed of 18km/h with the current and 12km/h against.

Thats a nice clean johnson. Did ya'll get it all lubed up good and proper? :heysexy:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I made friends with a scaley boi today. He followed me around for about 30 minutes either trying to decide if my lure was food or waiting for me to catch something so he could steal it. Jokes on him, I didn't catch poo poo.

Cold front moved in last night and had them hiding deep in the grass. I tried punching down into the heavier mats to see if I could get a nibble, but no such luck.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah gently caress that. I’d take a snake over a croc any day of the week.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm ok with them when I'm on a dock 2 ft above his head. Otherwise, thats a straight nope.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Get a hunting tag and turn alligators into sausage.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Been going to the local park when it hasn't been frozen over since the start of the year. Yesterday I got my first fish after a 10+ year hiatus, I caught him on a small grub I found wiggling around in my yard. I proceeded to catch another one a few minutes later, almost had a third but he came off while lifting him ashore.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Kitties have whiskers, but goddam those look creepy.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SoapyTarantula posted:

Been going to the local park when it hasn't been frozen over since the start of the year. Yesterday I got my first fish after a 10+ year hiatus, I caught him on a small grub I found wiggling around in my yard. I proceeded to catch another one a few minutes later, almost had a third but he came off while lifting him ashore.

:hellyeah: Please continue fishing and posting said catches ITT. Whereabouts are you fishing?

Also, I think I'm going to start the fly tying, tacklecraft, & traveling flybox thread. Is TAH the appropriate place to do that, being outdoorsy equipment?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Whereabouts are you fishing?

South-eastern Kansas, right next to the KS/MO border. There's a few fishing spots nearby but this pond is the only one within short walking distance. It only gets stocked once a year around July and it froze over so many times that I was beginning to think nothing survived the winter. I didn't even know there were catfish in it until then, as I only ever caught panfish out of it as a child.

wesleywillis posted:

Kitties have whiskers, but goddam those look creepy.

The noise they make is also kinda weird. My father was a giant poo poo and always told me the whiskers were stingers, so I used to be afraid of getting stung. Once I found out its actually just barbs in the fins I sort of liked catching catfish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SoapyTarantula posted:

South-eastern Kansas, right next to the KS/MO border. There's a few fishing spots nearby but this pond is the only one within short walking distance. It only gets stocked once a year around July and it froze over so many times that I was beginning to think nothing survived the winter. I didn't even know there were catfish in it until then, as I only ever caught panfish out of it as a child.

The noise they make is also kinda weird. My father was a giant poo poo and always told me the whiskers were stingers, so I used to be afraid of getting stung. Once I found out its actually just barbs in the fins I sort of liked catching catfish.

Those barbs hurt like gently caress. Did not like would not recommend.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Those barbs hurt like gently caress. Did not like would not recommend.

If you're keeping the fish, can you cut the barbs off with shears right away or does that ruin the meat or something?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I don’t think it’s worth the effort? We would slam their heads on a spike connecting to a tree then cut around the neck with a knife and yank off their skin with a pair of pliers and the skin would come off like a sock.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Going to Bass Pro this weekend with a $115 gift card, most likely going to end up getting a St. Croix spinner to match my Mojo Inshore :D

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Going to Bass Pro this weekend with a $115 gift card, most likely going to end up getting a St. Croix spinner to match my Mojo Inshore :D

Hadn't heard of these but I looked it up, handsome looking.

The fishing gear thread is pretty dead, anyone mind giving me advice here on which reel to buy? I want a Swedish made Abu Garcia, and I think they only make the roundreel baitcasters there now. I'm still going strong with my 40 dollar ugly stick, five years in. But I know the line, rod and reel would all explode if I took it to some bigger local lakes and rivers looking for catfish, pike, and especially muskie. Even the stocked trout I've got access to can break the 6 pound test I run, but I'd hate to have to change line every time I switch spots.

I've got a gift card as well and I'm looking at the Abu Garcia C4 5600, or the 7000. The 7000 is only another 10 bucks and has the power knob/handle, and those 'power knob handles' are 20 dollars and so far the only thing I know about baitcasters is I hate the small double knobs and I'm excited to practice casting farther and avoiding tangles.

Any tips appreciated, my ugly stick has the retrieve handle on the left, but I understand people switch hands sometimes for baitcasters because they've got more knobs you want close.

TLDR: Is it stupid to put a 7000 on a cheap medium/heavy rod with 20-30 pound test on it and see if this still lets me feel a smaller trout or pike on the hook while also being beefy enough to carefully land a muskie?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 24, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

extra stout posted:

Hadn't heard of these but I looked it up, handsome looking.

The fishing gear thread is pretty dead, anyone mind giving me advice here on which reel to buy? I want a Swedish made Abu Garcia, and I think they only make the roundreel baitcasters there now. I'm still going strong with my 40 dollar ugly stick, five years in. But I know the line, rod and reel would all explode if I took it to some bigger local lakes and rivers looking for catfish, pike, and especially muskie. Even the stocked trout I've got access to can break the 6 pound test I run, but I'd hate to have to change line every time I switch spots.

I've got a gift card as well and I'm looking at the Abu Garcia C4 5600, or the 7000. The 7000 is only another 10 bucks and has the power knob/handle, and those 'power knob handles' are 20 dollars and so far the only thing I know about baitcasters is I hate the small double knobs and I'm excited to practice casting farther and avoiding tangles.

Any tips appreciated, my ugly stick has the retrieve handle on the left, but I understand people switch hands sometimes for baitcasters because they've got more knobs you want close.

TLDR: Is it stupid to put a 7000 on a cheap medium/heavy rod with 20-30 pound test on it and see if this still lets me feel a smaller trout or pike on the hook while also being beefy enough to carefully land a muskie?

What's the smallest lure or amount of weight that you're planning to use? The bigger the reel and the burlier the line, the more you'll need. Braid mitigates this a bit, but if you're casting for distance the weight of the lure or sinker will matter a lot. And if you're excited about avoiding tangles, buddy, let me tell you about wind knots.

Also, it's kind of crazy that stocked trout can break 6 lb test line. Doesn't seem like that should be happening.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

What's the smallest lure or amount of weight that you're planning to use? The bigger the reel and the burlier the line, the more you'll need. Braid mitigates this a bit, but if you're casting for distance the weight of the lure or sinker will matter a lot. And if you're excited about avoiding tangles, buddy, let me tell you about wind knots.

Also, it's kind of crazy that stocked trout can break 6 lb test line. Doesn't seem like that should be happening.

The jumbo fish world is new to me but if I'm using 3/8th ounce jigs on my light rod I'd like to use 1/2 ounce and bigger on the new one I imagine? I'll mostly be looking for trout, walleye, some pike and bass. Might buy a single musky lure eventually, it'd be fun I just can't imagine finding or landing one until I get a boat.

They are huge fat loving trout and about 30" long now, and I also may or may not have left out that I broke the line a couple of times from not using a net and beaching them. Never lost a fish though, making it the perfect system.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

extra stout posted:

The jumbo fish world is new to me but if I'm using 3/8th ounce jigs on my light rod I'd like to use 1/2 ounce and bigger on the new one I imagine? I'll mostly be looking for trout, walleye, some pike and bass. Might buy a single musky lure eventually, it'd be fun I just can't imagine finding or landing one until I get a boat.

They are huge fat loving trout and about 30" long now, and I also may or may not have left out that I broke the line a couple of times from not using a net and beaching them. Never lost a fish though, making it the perfect system.

3/8 is a pretty burly jig for trout! I have a mold for trout jigs and the largest one is 1/8 on a #4 hook. (The smallest is 1/80th of an ounce on a #10 hook. What do you even do with that, make a sabiki rig?) And drat, I want to catch those fat loving holdovers and fill the smoker with them. Catching a little stocked trout not long after it's been planted isn't the greatest, but after stockies get to live in nature and eat real food for a year or so they are way better to catch (and eat). You make them sound like steelhead. Bring a net!

What is your rod rated for in terms of line and lure weight? That would be good to know when pairing reels, lines, lures, etc. I'm not an authority but the 7000 still seems like overkill if you're not surf fishing with it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

3/8 is a pretty burly jig for trout! I have a mold for trout jigs and the largest one is 1/8 on a #4 hook. (The smallest is 1/80th of an ounce on a #10 hook. What do you even do with that, make a sabiki rig?) And drat, I want to catch those fat loving holdovers and fill the smoker with them. Catching a little stocked trout not long after it's been planted isn't the greatest, but after stockies get to live in nature and eat real food for a year or so they are way better to catch (and eat). You make them sound like steelhead. Bring a net!

What is your rod rated for in terms of line and lure weight? That would be good to know when pairing reels, lines, lures, etc. I'm not an authority but the 7000 still seems like overkill if you're not surf fishing with it.

I'm not the best at being coherent so I should mention most the trout I eat aren't stockies from a public pond or creek, it's a family members pond and they're probably near the end of their life, he lost a bunch to the heat last summer. I don't imagine I'll ever see stocked trout get that big in a bigger body of water where they'd have competition and not be fed buckets of food twice a day.

Didn't buy a new rod yet either, my ugly stick is a medium 6'6" long and rated for I think 12 pound test max, I'd probably just leave it with the ugly stick reel as my panfisher. Currently I'm looking at medium/MH rods from Abu, or Camofire just had "13 Black Omen 2"s on a big sale which I hadn't heard of before but they're well reviewed and rated for 25 pounds.

It's definitely overkill, it's just annoying that to get the other made in Sweden Abu reels they still offer (like the 4600 or 5600) you only save ten dollars, which you then lose to swap in the 'power handle'. If I wanted to be practical it seems like a lot of the newer low profile baitcasters that are made in China still get great reviews, and plenty of the $100 combo rod/reels would cover most walleye and pike in my region.

Nets are good and smart, no argument there they're just a real bitch to use when you're solo fishing off the shore.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More fish from the park pond, had a bunch of catches today but these were the first two. A little baby largemouth bass and a baby sunfish of some kind. The tiny bass were putting up pretty good fights for their size.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wanna take that sunfish home and put him in a tank.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ended up picking up that new spinning rod for my camping trip next weekend. ~*~ALLEGEDLY~*~ the fishing is great at Silverwood Lake near Arrowhead right now with big stripers and rainbow trout coming in quite frequently. My plan is to only stay for friday night and fish saturday, but if the fishing is good I'll stay for the entire weekend. This will be the first time being able to use the dickspoon™, hopefully I'll have some good luck with it!

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
In my experience, tackle shops will always tell out-of-towners that the fishing is great. And that the fishing gets even better if I get some new spoons in an assortment of colors.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Can I post half a fish?

A reasonably well known fisho down here hooked quite a large shark which then got chewed on by something even bigger. They reckon the head alone weighed 100kg and they still got 35kg of usable meat off it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That poor mako got destroyed by a ungodly big white or tiger geezus.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I went out on a half day boat trip last Sunday. It was fun, but the fishing wasn't that great. I saw a big sand bass and a big calico bass come over the rail, and someone caught a massive spider crab, but the numbers were pretty low all around. Good times though! I didn't get sea sick, which I was incredibly worried about after the incident last year on the tuna trip.

I caught 3 small rock fish, a big mackerel, and a sheephead. Threw every back but the sheep, which I fried whole. Here he/she is right before he/she hit the oil.

Bonus pic, a lizard fish I caught the other day. The ocean's most voracious predator.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Woodpile posted:

In my experience, tackle shops will always tell out-of-towners that the fishing is great. And that the fishing gets even better if I get some new spoons in an assortment of colors.

I'm going off fish reports and pictures, hopefully they're correct! Anchovies for stripers and powerbait/kastmasters for trout.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 28, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I'm going off fish reports and pictures, hopefully they're correct! Anchovies for stripers and powerbait/kastmasters for trout.

Here's hoping something bites the dickspoon!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've caught fish recently! They were very smol though.

I've been having a blast using flukes as a soft plastic jerkbait though. Its definitely an interesting presentation compared to crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, chatterbaits and other soft plastics. Getting to watch the fluke dart around erraticly and then slowly fall down on slack line was very cool, even more so when I could see bass just beeline straight at the fluke from 10-20ft away and only stop when they noticed the chartreuse tail on the first fluke I was using.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Awesome fish, y'all, from the shark head to the dink bass & sunfish. I want to reply to all of these posts, but I don't want to be the guy who replies to every post.

Thank gently caress winter is over in the northern hemisphere. I hope we all get to see lots more fish soon! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Awesome fish, y'all, from the shark head to the dink bass & sunfish. I want to reply to all of these posts, but I don't want to be the guy who replies to every post.

Thank gently caress winter is over in the northern hemisphere. I hope we all get to see lots more fish soon! :)

We’ve finally got some warm, dry weather here this week. Kids are out of town with my wife for spring break the next couple days, so I’m gonna fish the poo poo out of my buddy’s pond. Hopefully bluegill and bass are waking up a little more than the last couple weeks. Heading out there as soon as I can get done seeing patients this afternoon. :woop: