Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

So this is the voice guy who's putting everyone in comas. I forget why exactly people speculated it was future/alternate dimension Alphinaud, but I could see it from that profile. It definitely doesn't look like the warrior of darkness guy from Heavensward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
So will I be able to play shadowbringers with my male miqo'te :crossarms:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And healing anxiety is not that bad once it gets going.

You just have to be careful early on.

You don't need to keep the tank topped off 100% of the time. Trash is often more dangerous than bosses.

In early pre-job dungeons, topping the tank off when he hits 50% hp and tossing rocks/keeping your DoT up otherwise is pretty easy and straightforeward. It gets a bit more complex once you get your capstones, but not overly so.

Endgame WHM is barely using your hardcast heals, keeping people topped with Medica II and assize, using your oGCDs to bring a tank to full HP, and tossing more rocks while keeping Aero and Aero 3 up.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

serious norman posted:

So will I be able to play shadowbringers with my male miqo'te :crossarms:

I'm sorry but Ronso only, you're gonna have to start the steroid regimen right away.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I feel like if that guy was Alphinaud his hood would have those ear cuffs that their hoods usually have.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

somepartsareme posted:

So this is the voice guy who's putting everyone in comas. I forget why exactly people speculated it was future/alternate dimension Alphinaud, but I could see it from that profile. It definitely doesn't look like the warrior of darkness guy from Heavensward.

At first glance, I would expect him to be G'raha Tia from the Crystal Tower questline, but the hood this character is wearing does not allow for Miqo'te ears. Still, Ishikawa said earlier today that she recommends people do the quest series if they haven't yet since they set up groundwork for Shadowbringers's plot. While it may not be G'raha Tia, he may be involved in some way.

Large version of the key art for Shadowbringers featuring many of the expansion's characters, for anyone who may want to glean more information.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I wouldn't discount anyone based on the hood, cat ears especially could easily just be hidden in there. And now that you mention G'raha, I want to believe it's him

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Grimace posted:

At first glance, I would expect him to be G'raha Tia from the Crystal Tower questline, but the hood this character is wearing does not allow for Miqo'te ears. Still, Ishikawa said earlier today that she recommends people do the quest series if they haven't yet since they set up groundwork for Shadowbringers's plot. While it may not be G'raha Tia, he may be involved in some way.

Large version of the key art for Shadowbringers featuring many of the expansion's characters, for anyone who may want to glean more information.

Rofl. I'd been wondering who that hooded character was opposite Solus and it's the loving dude summoning us to the first. We've had this art since like the fan fest and it's been right in front of us that that is the person whose voice we've been hearing. Which further confirms it is NOT G'raha Tia.

Also WRT dwarves - they'll be the crafting beast tribe. I guarantee it. No point in speculating on primals from them because they'll be like namazu and not have one.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mordiceius posted:

Which further confirms it is NOT G'raha Tia.

Also WRT dwarves - they'll be the crafting beast tribe. I guarantee it. No point in speculating on primals from them because they'll be like namazu and not have one.

Of course it's not G'raha Tia.
It's alternate G'raha Tia :v:

To be real there's probably a very small list of people who it could be, considering that said figure appears to be using the Crystal Tower to do the whole Dimension Hop thing. Thus this list starts with G'raha Tia and includes Dorga, Unne and any of the potential Crystal Tower dudes (Xande or Amon would be likely.)

Also if the Dwarves Primal isn't Cid Pollenda, The Man Who Exploded The Underworld Heavens or The Developer Room it's wrong :colbert:

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

The Grimace posted:

Well, G'raha does descend from Allagan, so maybe the First version of him doesn't have kitty gene?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Along with new dresses that will most certainly clip aggressively with your body, how about some new hair to add to the pile of clipping disasters?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

someone post your best femroe gpose I need to show someone what femroes look like

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 23, 2019

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Wait so they are adding a tank and a dps? Not even sure I'm excited anymore.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

FortMan posted:

Well, G'raha does descend from Allagan, so maybe the First version of him doesn't have kitty gene?

That's definitely possible, if we consider the idea of how variations of people exist in other Shards- that sort of thing. It reminds me of the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime series, where there were two dimensions. For one soul to leave one dimension and inhabit the other, you had to have a body in that other dimension that you could take possession of.

So if that's the case, would First G'raha Tia have the same memories as Hydaelyn G'raha Tia, with the First G'raha Tia's consciousness being sealed away subconsciously? Would the consciousnesses combine to create a single consciousness formed from both their memories and experiences? We don't have a lot of information to go on to make tons of theories yet. The Warriors of Darkness questline was vague about the Warriors from the First Shard and their process of coming to Hydaelyn. We know that they needed the Echo and their Crystals of Light, and that it sounded as though their bodies in the First had to die for them to eventually cheat and travel to Hydaelyn. Can we assume that they were possessing their own doubles, or did they use the power of the Echo to latch onto the first bodies they could, like Zenos seems to have done?

I like the idea of theory crafting this kind of stuff because multiple dimensions in media are always pretty fascinating to me. We don't have much information to go on right now, but I'm hoping we won't be disappointed with the way things unfold, especially if they're building an entire expansion on the idea.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Of course it's not G'raha Tia.
It's alternate G'raha Tia :v:

To be real there's probably a very small list of people who it could be, considering that said figure appears to be using the Crystal Tower to do the whole Dimension Hop thing. Thus this list starts with G'raha Tia and includes Dorga, Unne and any of the potential Crystal Tower dudes (Xande or Amon would be likely.)

Also if the Dwarves Primal isn't Cid Pollenda, The Man Who Exploded The Underworld Heavens or The Developer Room it's wrong :colbert:

It's not going to G'raha Tia, Doga, Unei, Xande, or Amon. :toxx:

MOD NOTE: This toxx contains a spoiler for FFXIV. Do not mouseover if you have not completed the storyline.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 5, 2019

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

These keynote reveals are an great example of how no matter what they do, some people are going to be mad.

I don't think the "leaks" helped either in giving people lofty expectations.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Where is this mini-golf at?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

cathead posted:

These keynote reveals are an great example of how no matter what they do, some people are going to be mad.

I don't think the "leaks" helped either in giving people lofty expectations.

Gamers will always be mad.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Hell Yeah! Gonna be a flamenco dancing lion gypsy boy and throw chakrams at bad guys. Imma be suave as HECK.

That's my hot take.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm impressed S-E had the balls to go with gender locked races but as an Ivalice fanboy, I dig it.

Shame there's no healer but I think they've kind of got all three bases covered in how to make a functional healer anyways?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm impressed S-E had the balls to go with gender locked races but as an Ivalice fanboy, I dig it.

Shame there's no healer but I think they've kind of got all three bases covered in how to make a functional healer anyways?

You mean the lack of balls to make bestial women and twinky men

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If they had gone with gender-locked Ivalice moogles, it'd be weird, but at least I'd accept it for the whole "making something different an option."

Actually thinking about it, Ivalice moogles probably wouldn't need separate models for male/female?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Actually thinking about it, Ivalice moogles probably wouldn't need separate models for male/female?
Somehow lalafell do though, so...

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Dumb idea but: Thancred currently in game is not the same Thancred we had prior to the first expansion. He got swapped out for another world's version, which is why he can't use our Aetherites anymore and obsesses over Minfillia. Gunblade Thancred is the original version and has been trying to escape decedent Fat Cat world since the first expansion. The proof is in the hair!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thinking about it some more, how much cooler would it be / how much better would this be received had they gone with something like gender neutral races, either outright gender neutral, or just in the sense that the races have a single body type & animation set, but picking gender will determine how dialog refers to you. Maybe throw in some facial customization that lets you make them look more masculine/feminine?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

As a person who plays healer in savage stuff, I’m glad dancer is a ranged physical DPS because maybe now I’ll like playing one of them. It’s definitely the role with the fewest and nichest options, since MCH is very narrow in its appeal.

Also lol the salt is coming from inside the thread.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
The amount of salt over gender locked races is honestly surprising to me.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Most of my hype for Shadowbringers is gone.

No new healer and no male Viera are really disappointing.

I hope they change course.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For some horrible reason I'm thinking of trying this game. I played a bunch of FFXI back in the day and played this game for like...two weeks at the original, poo poo, launch I think? Doesn't matter a whole lot because I don't really remember anything about it.

Is this game fairly solo-friendly, at least for the first bit? Are there terrible mobs that slow, poison, and blind you in the starting areas?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Shakenbaker posted:

For some horrible reason I'm thinking of trying this game. I played a bunch of FFXI back in the day and played this game for like...two weeks at the original, poo poo, launch I think? Doesn't matter a whole lot because I don't really remember anything about it.

Is this game fairly solo-friendly, at least for the first bit? Are there terrible mobs that slow, poison, and blind you in the starting areas?

You can solo the main story apart from the dungeons where you have to party up, but there's a queue system so it's not difficult to get a group.
In the next expansion you'll be able to solo everything though with the Trust system.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Frabba posted:

Doesn't surprise me. Lots of people were excited for Viera boys. IMO gender-locked races is one of the more archaic RPG tropes. It's totally bizzare in a game that threw away XI's gender-locked races, as well as game that doesn't have race-locked jobs/classes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ither posted:

Most of my hype for Shadowbringers is gone.

No new healer and no male Viera are really disappointing.

I hope they change course.

What do you expect them to do, design an entire new class in 3 months?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Frabba posted:

yeah. male/female au ra might as well not be the same race outside of having scales/tails, would people be throwing a poo poo fit if they were just going by different race names?

I think people are just mad that we didn't get a feminine males/beastly females.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

What do you expect them to do, design an entire new class in 3 months?

I would like them to this, but it's very unlikely.

The quickest would be a mid cycle release.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
With them going with "throwing weapons" as opposed to just chakrams for Dancer, I hope we get all kinds of things like boomerangs, darts, knives, axes, and maybe even, like Setzer cards as a Gold Saucer joke option.

I'll have to see how it, and gunbreaker, play before I get myself too into any ideas for the next expansion. I was very excited for Samurai but then ended up maining RDM through most of SB because I loved it so much. I want to go back to a tank main and GUN looks like my poo poo, but I'm really excited for battle demos and some more info on abilities and such.

Did Ishgard housing ever get confirmed? I know they announced the Restoration project as endgame DoL/DoH stuff, with a storyline, but did they ever officially announce if there would be an eventual player housing zone in and around Ishgard?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Frabba posted:

Many had really been looking forward to male Viera, from what I've seen.

Heck, I am more than likely going to be Lala forever, and I am disappointed.

It will pass, but in the mean time, I won't be to harsh to those who are really down from this.

EDIT: Not to say some of the extreme reactions are warranted, of course.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Leofish posted:

Did Ishgard housing ever get confirmed? I know they announced the Restoration project as endgame DoL/DoH stuff, with a storyline, but did they ever officially announce if there would be an eventual player housing zone in and around Ishgard?
They have not formally announced new housing anywhere.

You know, Koji Fox must be broken up by there being no male viera, too, because he'll have to sit on Bunnymen and the Echo for at least a few more years if ever.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I mean, can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's as much 'square enix already did this song and dance in 1.0 and apparently learned from it but now we're seeing gender-locked races all over again, which is something that bothers me as someone who's appreciated how generally good about gender stuff ffxiv is for an anime game' and 'square enix handled the reveal in general very badly ('wait until tokyo fanfest for more information on male viera ;3 ;3 ;3' surprise the information was there are none, serves you right for getting hopeful)' as it is anything else.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

FortMan posted:

Many had really been looking forward to male Viera, from what I've seen.

Heck, I am more than likely going to be Lala forever, and I am disappointed.

It will pass, but in the mean time, I won't be to harsh to those who are really down from this.

EDIT: Not to say some of the extreme reactions are warranted, of course.

Welp. I came in not expecting male viera due to the existing lore, so I guess that's why I'm not in any way disappointed. It sucks that people got wrapped up in rumors and its bringing down their enthusiasm for the stuff that we are getting.

e. Oh wait, SE themselves teased male viera being announced here? That's lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frabba posted:

Welp. I came in not expecting male viera due to the existing lore, so I guess that's why I'm not in any way disappointed. It sucks that people got wrapped up in rumors and its bringing down their enthusiasm for the stuff that we are getting.

e. Oh wait, SE themselves teased male viera being announced here? That's lovely.

The lore reason is pretty bullshit though. Because there were the same excuses over catboys.